2023 Massillon Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
👀I hope our OC has a plan . #9&#10 on Valdosta d line committed to Colorado . They Comin !! Sorry if mentioned already . I can’t stop watching hudl . Go tigers 🤍🖤🧡
They’re coming? We’ll see how quick they want to LEAVE after getting slapped in the teeth. This group of kids we have is COMING. Ain’t nobody scared of this team from Georgia. All the boys we have returning coming off a trip to the state final 4. The new QB is going to bring a whole new dimension on top of slaughter being in his 3rd year. Come on up, I can’t wait to see or kids put it to there asz’s

They’re coming? We’ll see how quick they want to LEAVE after getting slapped in the teeth. This group of kids we have is COMING. Ain’t nobody scared of this team from Georgia. All the boys we have returning coming off a trip to the state final 4. The new QB is going to bring a whole new dimension on top of slaughter being in his 3rd year. Come on up, I can’t wait to see or kids put it to there asz’s
I’ll push my chips in with the kid who beat St. Ed’s and is 2-0 vs McK! Go get em’ 2!!!

I’ll push my chips in with the kid who beat St. Ed’s and is 2-0 vs McK! Go get em’ 2!!!
Let me make this clear, I’m not against any of our kids. My point was the new kid brings a little something different to the table. Something that will add to our offense. Slaughter has done a very good job his first 2 seasons. But now he has some real competition. And I’m definitely not cheering against the kid at all. I want them all to get bigger, stronger, faster, and just overall better. But it’s going to bring the best out of both kids I hope. We will give opponents more to have to prepare for and deal with. I hope they both have great years and I honestly believe that can happen. I think this team has the potential to be one of our best. That’s my honest opinion. If we can get everyone healthy from the jump that would really help. Last year we were down some guys early on. Anyway bring on Valdosta, this team won’t back down or be intimidated I can promise you all that. I don’t care who they have I know who we have. Can’t wait to see this game in August. They will go back home with a loss and their pride will take a hit after we physically handle them. That’s all I have to say for now

Let me make this clear, I’m not against any of our kids. My point was the new kid brings a little something different to the table. Something that will add to our offense. Slaughter has done a very good job his first 2 seasons. But now he has some real competition. And I’m definitely not cheering against the kid at all. I want them all to get bigger, stronger, faster, and just overall better. But it’s going to bring the best out of both kids I hope. We will give opponents more to have to prepare for and deal with. I hope they both have great years and I honestly believe that can happen. I think this team has the potential to be one of our best. That’s my honest opinion. If we can get everyone healthy from the jump that would really help. Last year we were down some guys early on. Anyway bring on Valdosta, this team won’t back down or be intimidated I can promise you all that. I don’t care who they have I know who we have. Can’t wait to see this game in August. They will go back home with a loss and their pride will take a hit after we physically handle them. That’s all I have to say for now
I'm curious to what happens for whomever don't start. I hope we can find a spot for both of them.They both will be a contributor for sure.

Competition will make both better players. If Owens happens to win the starting job (no idea about him), I think Slaughter will still get opportunities, but he has to step up if he wishes to continue at the next level. His biggest challenge imo is physically, he is what we call in the gym a hardgainer. I saw him at a basketball game and didn't look like he gained an ounce since freshman year. I am sure he works his *** off though, and still has 2 years to go.

Last edited:
Competition will make both better players. If Owens happens to win the starting job (no idea about him), I think Slaughter will still get opportunities, but he has to step up if he wishes to continue at the next level. His biggest challenge imo is physically, he is what we call in the gym a hardgainer. I saw him at a basketball game and didn't look like he gained an ounce since freshman year. I am sure he works his *** off though, and still has 2 years to go.
I agree. He needs to get in the weight room a little more it seems. I’m sure he works hard as well I just think he needs to get some weight on him. It’s tough when you play basketball too. He’s still got plenty of time so we will see

Mansfield Senior defensive end Elias "LaLa" Owens has tweeted he has picked up his third Division I offer, this one from the University of Minnesota. He also holds offers from Bowling Green and Eastern Michigan.

Owens and the 17-7 Tygers are getting ready for an epic Division II Ashland District matchup with 22-1 Sandusky Thursday night.

As MT3 and others have said it’s great to have competition ! We need that at each and every position, it will only make the kids and team better.
There are those who feel Slaughters progression has been slow. He never really had competition at the position....McElroy was a totally different kind of QB and even after he returned from injury, he was used in a specific role. Sure he threw it SOME, but when he entered the game you had a pretty good idea what was coming. Well see if Slaughter and Owens accept their roles. I would imagine they will.

Mansfield Senior defensive end Elias "LaLa" Owens has tweeted he has picked up his third Division I offer, this one from the University of Minnesota. He also holds offers from Bowling Green and Eastern Michigan.

Owens and the 17-7 Tygers are getting ready for an epic Division II Ashland District matchup with 22-1 Sandusky Thursday night.
This might get tiresome.

The Pitt Panthers have come calling for the talents of Tyger football rush edge Elias Owens, his fourth Division I offer.

Kentucky and West Virginia are probably on deck. Owens could end up with 10 or 15 offers.

There are those who feel Slaughters progression has been slow.
How many QB's in Massillon's history got significant playing time as a FR and then started the whole season as a SO? I sure can't think of any.
As a SO, JS is prolly either 15 or 16 right now. Different kids mature physically at different ages. I think he has done a great job considering how young he is.

How many QB's in Massillon's history got significant playing time as a FR and then started the whole season as a SO? I sure can't think of any.
As a SO, JS is prolly either 15 or 16 right now. Different kids mature physically at different ages. I think he has done a great job considering how young he is.
The Tigers are 20-3 when Slaughter starts, can’t really argue those #’s for a 9th and 10th grader.

Slaughter had a great basketball season, the whole team did. Jalen got more aggressive and confident. I sure hope he wins the job outright and takes every snap.
That’s all fine I’m not knocking you or what you want to see happen. But I would be cautious on the taking every snap thing. It’s nothing personal at all with Slaughter. Hes been great for a 9th and 10th grader and like others have said, against real competition. But the new kid brings something to the table that Jalen doesn’t or whatever you want to call it. That kid is 6’1 and over 200 Lbs and does extremely well in that read option type of offense when it comes to running the ball. Our staff would be absolutely foolish not to use that. After we beat St. Ed’s last year they made two adjustments I heard from there coaches. They completely changed their defense. And they started to use the read option more and if you go back and watch the tape against Hoban, they torched them with the QB. I’m not sure what the hold back is with the new kid with you, but it seems any other year or position a kid plays everyone gets excited about when a kid transfers. Jalen needs pushed. He’s had zero competition. This is a good thing. Especially for the TEAM. And I’m all about the TEAM because I want to see this school someday win a state championship. Anyway Just my opinion. I hope ALL of the boys are having a great off-season. I want to see them ALL shine!

Last edited:
Owens will be the starter for the reasons you mentioned. He brings another dimension and can sling it as well. This is big for this offense and the state championship chances this season. Jalen will have to sit one year in his HS career and develop for his senior season. He still has a bright future in orange and black.

Owens will be the starter for the reasons you mentioned. He brings another dimension and can sling it as well. This is big for this offense and the state championship chances this season. Jalen will have to sit one year in his HS career and develop for his senior season. He still has a bright future in orange and black.

Agreed on all counts but a qb who can run is more of a prerequisite than a dimension in the playoffs these days. Though I still see #2 as integral in games we don't need the QB to run, or when we need to pass more, or obviously in case one gets banged up and needs the rest. Similar to his frosh year with McElroy, but we'll see. The even better news is we have more than enough talent at the rb position also.

Last edited:
Let’s be honest there was no reason to have Slaughter run the ball last year with Hartson back there. I am not sure why people act like Slaughter can’t run, it’s more that there hasn’t been designed plays for him to do it.
I love that there will be a real QB battle this summer and I hope there is a battle at every other position as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.