80s-90s Fostoria Redmen

Like St Henry having 3 future NFL players on one football/basketball HS team in 1990 with Jeff Hartings, Bobby Hoying and Scott Brunswick (made Cowboys but a ankle injury ended his chances of playing).
Fostoria had many that simply worked hard, and Coach got the most out of his players

I just remember one of the great Fostoria teams of the 1990’s beat an Elyria West team that was loaded and would normally have gone much deeper in the playoffs.

I just remember one of the great Fostoria teams of the 1990’s beat an Elyria West team that was loaded and would normally have gone much deeper in the playoffs.
As I said in an earlier post, Wolverines jumped to a 16-0 lead before Redmen came roaring back to win 26-16 at Fremont's Harmon Stadium. Fostoria eventually would become II runners up, losing to St. Mary Memorial, 28-14

Great game and if my aging memory is correct, the weather wasn't great. SM had some stud teams as well.
Skip Baughman at the helm running the Wide-Tackle Six and a Wing-T offense which was essentially the HB Dive, FB Trap and the Buck Sweep. His teams were famous for their downfield blocking and he was asked at a clinic how they taught such tremendous blocking. His reply was that they told the linemen "to get the hell out of the way because the back is coming." He didn't give a lot at clinics but if you made the trip to St. Marys he would give you everything he had. As a young coach our staff went to see the St. Marys staff about the Wide-Tackle Six since we wanted to run something that noone else in our league was running. He gave us the house and it worked. The Redmen ran into the Liette twins in that 28-14 game, two short, squatty brothers that played the defensive guard position and were unblockable. The thing I remember most about Coach Baughman was his stories. He had the belief that unless a player was near death that he should never lay on the ground if they got racked up. He said that kids on the ground make moms nervous and he didn't need moms in his ear about whether their son was okay.

As far as Fostoria kids compared to the MAC I'll just say this, take into account where the Fostoria kids grew up. Tough town. The MAC kids are no doubt tough and well-coached, we see that year after year. Many Fostoria kids were coming from broken homes and the Kidwells were like surrogate parents to them. You combine being raised in tough neighborhoods and loyalty to a coach who looks out for you and you get a kid with next-level toughness. It's a lot like Lima. You might beat them, even badly, but you probably won't win a post-game street fight with them.

Skip Baughman at the helm running the Wide-Tackle Six and a Wing-T offense which was essentially the HB Dive, FB Trap and the Buck Sweep. His teams were famous for their downfield blocking and he was asked at a clinic how they taught such tremendous blocking. His reply was that they told the linemen "to get the hell out of the way because the back is coming." He didn't give a lot at clinics but if you made the trip to St. Marys he would give you everything he had. As a young coach our staff went to see the St. Marys staff about the Wide-Tackle Six since we wanted to run something that noone else in our league was running. He gave us the house and it worked. The Redmen ran into the Liette twins in that 28-14 game, two short, squatty brothers that played the defensive guard position and were unblockable. The thing I remember most about Coach Baughman was his stories. He had the belief that unless a player was near death that he should never lay on the ground if they got racked up. He said that kids on the ground make moms nervous and he didn't need moms in his ear about whether their son was okay.

As far as Fostoria kids compared to the MAC I'll just say this, take into account where the Fostoria kids grew up. Tough town. The MAC kids are no doubt tough and well-coached, we see that year after year. Many Fostoria kids were coming from broken homes and the Kidwells were like surrogate parents to them. You combine being raised in tough neighborhoods and loyalty to a coach who looks out for you and you get a kid with next-level toughness. It's a lot like Lima. You might beat them, even badly, but you probably won't win a post-game street fight with them.
Great post, Upside . That's why they became Big Dad and Big Mom, not only in Fostoria, but Fremont, also.

Dumb question; I know Mrs. Kidwell eventually became a Substitute Teacher, but what did Coach teach?

Great game and if my aging memory is correct, the weather wasn't great. SM had some stud teams as well.
The only thing I remember regarding weather was it was chilly, but expected about 2nd week of November

I mentioned Harmon Stadium, and I believe it was 2nd week in a row for Redmen at this site. The week before, Redmen took another quasi Lorain County School, Vermilion Sailors, to the shed

Great post, Upside . That's why they became Big Dad and Big Mom, not only in Fostoria, but Fremont, also.

Dumb question; I know Mrs. Kidwell eventually became a Substitute Teacher, but what did Coach teach?
I honestly cannot answer that question. It wasn't unusual to know what other coaches taught but I never knew what Coach Kidwell did.

The only thing I remember regarding weather was it was chilly, but expected about 2nd week of November

I mentioned Harmon Stadium, and I believe it was 2nd week in a row for Redmen at this site. The week before, Redmen took another quasi Lorain County School, Vermilion Sailors, to the shed

Remember the trick play to Damon in that EW game?

No, that escapes me. I do remember Moore hitting Lucius who was wide open for what seemed like a 70 yard RAC. That TD got Fostoria rolling

They acted like they had confusion between Moore and the coaches. He ran toward the sideline and they snapped it to a RB and he hit Damon down the sideline for a score. If I remember correctly, EW had a d lineman who went to Ohio State. Anybody remember who that was?

I just wonder if his sort of lack of flexibility was his downfall or at least his limiting factor...I don't think he ever lasted more than 4 seasons at any one place. 4 at Boardman, 2 at Ross, 3 at Canon-Mac, 4 at Marlington, back to Baldwin near Pittsburgh for 3, then ended up down in Florida where he's been since except when he was at Maryland as a TE coach and an analyst I think under Durkin.

You can look back at the articles from when he got the Ross job and it was mostly about unpopular staff shake-ups and bringing the wing-T to town. Even had a 10-0 first year but still found a way to wear his welcome out pretty fast. He was a finalist for the Massillon job I think after that 97 season and openly talked about maybe going there, so maybe some of the early successes got to him?

Good coach but didn't always seem to be the most popular at his various stops. Probably made a mistake leaving Boardman to be honest, he had some great teams he left behind from 97-01.
I was in Fremont during this era. This post is spot on.

Dan Pallante would have been a good coach in the Federal League running a wing-T. He "fits" a lot of those schools; at least back in the 90's and 2000's. Massillon Tigers? Not so much.

Pallante was just not embraced and/or an odd fit at Fremont during that era. A coach with more NW Ohio roots was what they wanted.

Last edited:
They acted like they had confusion between Moore and the coaches. He ran toward the sideline and they snapped it to a RB and he hit Damon down the sideline for a score. If I remember correctly, EW had a d lineman who went to Ohio State. Anybody remember who that was?

When I read the above with regard to that 92 Fostoria-Elyria West game I was thinking Henry Slay from West but I'm sure he went to W. Virginia.

Of course it may just be that the only name I think of when I hear Elyria West & Ohio State player is Steve Tovar. He was 4 or 5 years before Mr. Slay though.

When I read the above with regard to that 92 Fostoria-Elyria West game I was thinking Henry Slay from West but I'm sure he went to W. Virginia.

Of course it may just be that the only name I think of when I hear Elyria West & Ohio State player is Steve Tovar. He was 4 or 5 years before Mr. Slay though.
You beat me to it regarding Tovar and time frame

I was in Fremont during this era. This post is spot on.

Dan Pallante would have been a good coach in the Federal League running a wing-T. He "fits" a lot of those schools; at least back in the 90's and 2000's. Massillon Tigers? Not so much.

Pallante was just not embraced and/or an odd fit at Fremont during that era. A coach with more NW Ohio roots was what they wanted.
No one in Fremont embraced his Wing-T. I think his trump card was he went 2-0 against Fostoria while previous 2 years with Boardman

At any rate, prior to Ieaving Ross, he sure loaded up Little Giant schedule which included Massillon and St. Ignatius

I failed to mention since you brought up Lima that the players were loyal to the late Coach Rush

I failed to mention since you brought up Lima that the players were loyal to the late Coach Rush
I know several guys that played for Coach Rush, from everything I can gather the man was a genius motivator and amateur psychologist. He had a knack for knowing which buttons to push from encouraging lofty personal and team goals etc. He could also bring the toughest kid on the team to tears by asking if he wanted to fulfill his God-given gifts and earn a college grant as opposed to just hang out in Lima after graduation.
After a great effort in losing a close game to Moeller (IIRC) his quote to the Lima News included "The city of Lima doesn't deserve the effort these kids put in." I attended that game and there were less than 200 Lima fans. He could build a fire under people. He decided on the Houston Veer based on his personnel and switched from scheme blocking to zone blocking and the offense expolded. They started winning and the kids did respond with loyalty.

And more than a few of those kids got scholarships and got out of Lima, at least for a while. He earned his HOF induction.

I know several guys that played for Coach Rush, from everything I can gather the man was a genius motivator and amateur psychologist. He had a knack for knowing which buttons to push from encouraging lofty personal and team goals etc. He could also bring the toughest kid on the team to tears by asking if he wanted to fulfill his God-given gifts and earn a college grant as opposed to just hang out in Lima after graduation.
After a great effort in losing a close game to Moeller (IIRC) his quote to the Lima News included "The city of Lima doesn't deserve the effort these kids put in." I attended that game and there were less than 200 Lima fans. He could build a fire under people. He decided on the Houston Veer based on his personnel and switched from scheme blocking to zone blocking and the offense expolded. They started winning and the kids did respond with loyalty.

And more than a few of those kids got scholarships and got out of Lima, at least for a while. He earned his HOF induction.
I believe that would have been 1989 State Semi in which Spartans lost to Big Moe in OT?

Lima won our Region that year escaping Lancaster. Lancaster took my Little Giants to the shed the week before. Two weeks prior, Ross won at Lancaster to essentially win the BCC.

I believe that would have been 1989 State Semi in which Spartans lost to Big Moe in OT?

Lima won our Region that year escaping Lancaster. Lancaster took my Little Giants to the shed the week before. Two weeks prior, Ross won at Lancaster to essentially win the BCC.
I recall that game but the one I'm referring to was a regular season game during their time in the GMC. It seemed as though Lima was trying to establish deeper roots in the Cincy area. This was all before the conference cut them loose as they were starting their ascent.

No one in Fremont embraced his Wing-T. I think his trump card was he went 2-0 against Fostoria while previous 2 years with Boardman

At any rate, prior to Ieaving Ross, he sure loaded up Little Giant schedule which included Massillon and St. Ignatius
Pallante’s last Ross team was loaded but they were just too one dimensional. Coonrod and Cobb and Lindsey and Kaiser…