Martin RPI

They still have PN on their schedule. How much you want to bet they make a huge jump in the standings with that win? I'm not going to look at every team's schedule that is 1-10. I frankly don't care enough about the Columbus area to do that, but I'd be willing to bet many of those top 10 are going to be playing each other and also playing teams that they've all shared on their schedules. All of that is going to have huge implications on the rankings over the coming weeks. Just sit back and chill and let it all work itself out. Let PC worry about winning their games and they will be fine.
Agree completely, just discussing this snapshot of time. Question.....What should happen to PC if they play PN to a one-point overtime loss, does that mean they should drop 8-10 spots in the seeding or does it mean them and PN are a couple of the top teams in Columbus?

@spirit454 Somehow I knew a yes or no question would get six sentences from you

It may have been a yes/no question for a Cent District D1 coach. But I am not one so it was not something I could answer with accuracy.

You have already said you are not a coach so, Yes or No, does a team seeded #10 make the same tournament as a team seeded #1?

Agree completely, just discussing this snapshot of time. Question.....What should happen to PC if they play PN to a one-point overtime loss, does that mean they should drop 8-10 spots in the seeding or does it mean them and PN are a couple of the top teams in Columbus?

Depends on what the other 8 teams in the top 10 do as well over that time. It's not so much of a "should" as it is a "will". Should implies opinion. A computer ranking doesn't care about my opinion. BUT if you're actually asking my opinion, I stick with what I already said. It depends on what the other teams ahead of PC have done. At the end of the day, you can't keep losing games, regardless of the competition, and expect to gain ranking.

Last edited:
Central District D1

Martin RPI:
1. Olentangy Orange (12-2)
2. Olentangy Liberty (12-2)
3. Pick North (13-2)
4. Westerville North (11-2)
5. Dublin Jerome (10-4)
6. Olentangy Berlin (11-3)
7. Delaware Hayes (11-3)
8. Gahanna Lincoln (10-4)
9. Westerville South (10-3)
10. Pick Central (10-5)

270 Hoops:
1. Pick Central (10-5)
2. Pick North (13-2)
3. Olentangy Liberty (12-2)
4. Olentangy Orange (12-2)
5. Dublin Jerome (10-4)
6. Westerville North (11-2)
7. Gahanna Lincoln (11-3)
8. Newark (11-4)
9. Hilliard Bradley (9-4)
10. Columbus South (12-2)

Plenty will change in the next 2+ weeks until the draw, but it will be interesting to see how the seeding goes. Looks like a little difference of opinion with Gahanna's record.

Central District D1

Martin RPI:
1. Olentangy Orange (12-2)
2. Olentangy Liberty (12-2)
3. Pick North (13-2)
4. Westerville North (11-2)
5. Dublin Jerome (10-4)
6. Olentangy Berlin (11-3)
7. Delaware Hayes (11-3)
8. Gahanna Lincoln (10-4)
9. Westerville South (10-3)
10. Pick Central (10-5)

270 Hoops:
1. Pick Central (10-5)
2. Pick North (13-2)
3. Olentangy Liberty (12-2)
4. Olentangy Orange (12-2)
5. Dublin Jerome (10-4)
6. Westerville North (11-2)
7. Gahanna Lincoln (11-3)
8. Newark (11-4)
9. Hilliard Bradley (9-4)
10. Columbus South (12-2)

Plenty will change in the next 2+ weeks until the draw, but it will be interesting to see how the seeding goes. Looks like a little difference of opinion with Gahanna's record.
That’s a huge difference for Pick Central. That could be the difference between a bye and a top seed versus middle of the pack. I think in this case I would prefer a coaches vote. The coaches likely have seen all the teams maybe played all the teams so they should know the top teams,as long as politics is left out that should be fairest.

Depends on what the other 8 teams in the top 10 do as well over that time. It's not so much of a "should" as it is a "will". Should implies opinion. A computer ranking doesn't care about my opinion. BUT if you're actually asking my opinion, I stick with what I already said. It depends on what the other teams ahead of PC have done. At the end of the day, you can't keep losing games, regardless of the competition, and expect to gain ranking.
Fair, if you are coaching does your respect level (and thus how you think they compare to other teams you might seed/play in the tournament) increase or decrease in said situation?

@D1nwobb If there is an "expert" on Columbus hoops teams it is the 270 guys. As I have said everyone who follows hoops knows PC is one of the best teams in Ohio. The key difference is the RPI rankings are driven by win % and the 270 rankings are driven by who the best team is. If you do the math on the RPI rankings the top 4 have a win% in the 80%, the next five in the 70% and PC in the 60% ranges.

I don't pay for 270 content but I would be interested to know if PC ranking changed after the Cathedral game.

Another interesting one is in D3 in SWOH. Martin has Carlisle one spot ahead of Preble Shawnee. Preble has a better win % and dominated Carlisle a couple weeks ago. They won by 16 but a coach scouting them said it was more like a 30 point game. So not only does it not account for the eye-test, it can't account for head-to-head games. So some on this thread say winning is all that matters, how would you spin this one?

That’s a huge difference for Pick Central. That could be the difference between a bye and a top seed versus middle of the pack. I think in this case I would prefer a coaches vote. The coaches likely have seen all the teams maybe played all the teams so they should know the top teams,as long as politics is left out that should be fairest.
270Hoops is not a coaches vote and the Central district seed over 40 teams and coaches have admitted they may only know about half those teams at best during voting.

Fair, if you are coaching does your respect level (and thus how you think they compare to other teams you might seed/play in the tournament) increase or decrease in said situation?

@D1nwobb If there is an "expert" on Columbus hoops teams it is the 270 guys. As I have said everyone who follows hoops knows PC is one of the best teams in Ohio. The key difference is the RPI rankings are driven by win % and the 270 rankings are driven by who the best team is. If you do the math on the RPI rankings the top 4 have a win% in the 80%, the next five in the 70% and PC in the 60% ranges.

I don't pay for 270 content but I would be interested to know if PC ranking changed after the Cathedral game.

Another interesting one is in D3 in SWOH. Martin has Carlisle one spot ahead of Preble Shawnee. Preble has a better win % and dominated Carlisle a couple weeks ago. They won by 16 but a coach scouting them said it was more like a 30 point game. So not only does it not account for the eye-test, it can't account for head-to-head games. So some on this thread say winning is all that matters, how would you spin this one?

I can see a couple possible reasons for that. the biggest two being that Preble's SOS is #163 in D3 and their opponent winning percentage is 42% Carlisle's SOS is #64. That's a huge difference in SOS

I can see a couple possible reasons for that. the biggest two being that Preble's SOS is #163 in D3 and their opponent winning percentage is 42% Carlisle's SOS is #64. That's a huge difference in SOS
Some people seem to forget that this formula for each team is 65% the opponents played. I do think the out of state teams throw a small wrench into the system but it is consistent.

When you have a good team (Preble Shawnee) playing in a conference where the bottom half are not competitive whatsoever, and have bad losses to bad teams, you will get penalized with the criteria used in the Martin RPI. That huge gulf between your talent and your opponents talent serves as a penalty to your overall RPI due to the fact that even though you could beat them by 80 points, they are 4-12 and have lost half their games to other weak opponents. Opponents win percentage and opponents opponents win percentage are terrible in that scenerio, leaving you with a poor RPI.

Just for kicks sometime, take the Preble Shawnee schedule and pretend they are an NBA team who would crush every opponent by 100. If they play the same weak schedule as they currently do, they still could not climb to the top of the RPI. That is why I liked the power rankings some have done on here before where score is a factor of the ranking. All those +30 versus each opponent work pretty well in giving a better indicator of just how strong a team is in relation to its opponents.

Took a look at Dixie in the WOAC. They are 10-3 currently. One of their recent wins over a bottom conference team was 63-19. They get hammered by that teams record and that teams opponents record . I believe the Martin RPI does pretty well in competitive situations making a fair determination of the stronger team, but when teams are either slightly overmatched by very strong opponents, or crushing inferior opponents, they get the shaft on RPI.

We can then logically conclude how teams get too many points in their RPI. Winning a game over an opponent who lost their best player late in the season of a very good year would be extra super boost.

Took a look at Dixie in the WOAC. They are 10-3 currently. One of their recent wins over a bottom conference team was 63-19. They get hammered by that teams record and that teams opponents record . I believe the Martin RPI does pretty well in competitive situations making a fair determination of the stronger team, but when teams are either slightly overmatched by very strong opponents, or crushing inferior opponents, they get the shaft on RPI.

We can then logically conclude how teams get too many points in their RPI. Winning a game over an opponent who lost their best player late in the season of a very good year would be extra super boost.

.....on the other side of the coin, if all a team is doing is playing a bunch of awful teams can you really say how good they are? Are they really "good" or are they just an average team.....who happens to be beating up on a bunch of awful teams? IF you don't play at least a couple really good teams somewhere in the schedule then you really have no idea where you stand with regard to the top teams in the state.

When you have a good team (Preble Shawnee) playing in a conference where the bottom half are not competitive whatsoever, and have bad losses to bad teams, you will get penalized with the criteria used in the Martin RPI. That huge gulf between your talent and your opponents talent serves as a penalty to your overall RPI due to the fact that even though you could beat them by 80 points, they are 4-12 and have lost half their games to other weak opponents. Opponents win percentage and opponents opponents win percentage are terrible in that scenerio, leaving you with a poor RPI.
This is kind of true, and adds to the reason for scheduling good talent rewards a team in many ways for teams that know they may have a chance at being good..

All of these responses are making my point that seeding should be done by coaches and not a formula. If I am a coach and I look at PS with one of the best players in Ohio and they beat Carlisle badly and don't have bad losses or close games, there is no chance Carlisle is seeded ahead of PS or anyone would argue Carlisle is better than PS. The RPI says Carlisle is seeded higher.

Same as if I watch PC with my own eyes and see them compete well with Cathedral, no shot I am dropping them on my seeding chart. That is what the RPI did.

So in your example, Dixie plays a bad team that also plays all bad teams?

All of these responses are making my point that seeding should be done by coaches and not a formula. If I am a coach and I look at PS with one of the best players in Ohio and they beat Carlisle badly and don't have bad losses or close games, there is no chance Carlisle is seeded ahead of PS or anyone would argue Carlisle is better than PS. The RPI says Carlisle is seeded higher.

Same as if I watch PC with my own eyes and see them compete well with Cathedral, no shot I am dropping them on my seeding chart. That is what the RPI did.
I think they are making your point that scheduling good teams is what is best. Wins matter but even in a loss against good competition you get credited in 65% of the formula.

I think they are making your point that scheduling good teams is what is best. Wins matter but even in a loss against good competition you get credited in 65% of the formula.
When I talk about a team's sos (PC and Taft) you tell me they have to win

When I talk about a head-to-head win situation (PS) you tell me sos matters.

Saying the system has some serious limitations in ranking teams, that all ranking formulas will have, but you like it anyways is ok and respectable!

When I talk about a team's sos (PC and Taft) you tell me they have to win

When I talk about a head-to-head win situation (PS) you tell me sos matters.

Saying the system has some serious limitations in ranking teams, that all ranking formulas will have, but you like it anyways is ok and respectable!
They have to win to get credit for a win. You want them to get credit for a loss. They already get credit for playing a good team. I assume you know this but a team's winning percentage is based on their wins. :p

The faces of the teams are removed to eliminate opinions, favors and connections.

All ranking platforms have areas that can be picked apart. The RPI removes the human flaws. Want a high seed win games and play good teams is the way I see it.

The conversation in this thread has gone between 1. coaches vs formula for seeding and 2. mechanics of the RPI. You believe coaches have too much bias and it should be done by a formula, I disagree. That is why I have always said in here you have to choose what you want, a close to accurate ranking of teams by flawed humans or a human-free ranking formula that has flaws that cause some wild one-off rankings.

The conversation in this thread has gone between 1. coaches vs formula for seeding and 2. mechanics of the RPI. You believe coaches have too much bias and it should be done by a formula, I disagree. That is why I have always said in here you have to choose what you want, a close to accurate ranking of teams by flawed humans or a human-free ranking formula that has flaws that cause some wild one-off rankings.
We agree there has not been a perfect answer.

Flawed humans cannot make an accurate ranking, even if you feel it's perfect. Flawed humans will always have bias. We can debate a teams earned position or eye test, but every coach cannot see every game or know every issues a team has faced in a suffered loss. Does going 22-0 make you a perfect team or a very poor schedule. We both know very good teams can have 6-8 losses on a season. The RPI, which may change before it is used statewide, is unbiased by any of your flawed humans. Because of that there is no one to blame for seeding other than the team themselves. Every team will now know what it takes to be a high seed. I think that makes it neat and clean.

Flawed humans cannot make an accurate ranking, even if you feel it's perfect. Flawed humans will always have bias. We can debate a teams earned position or eye test, but every coach cannot see every game or know every issues a team has faced in a suffered loss. Does going 22-0 make you a perfect team or a very poor schedule. We both know very good teams can have 6-8 losses on a season. The RPI, which may change before it is used statewide, is unbiased by any of your flawed humans. Because of that there is no one to blame for seeding other than the team themselves. Every team will now know what it takes to be a high seed. I think that makes it neat and clean.
A singular flawed human may not be able to make an accurate ranking, a group of flawed humans with equal vote can make an accurate ranking and SWOH over the last 20 years is evidence of that.

So in your example, Dixie plays a bad team that also plays many bad teams?
Yes.

WOAC conference today 83 wins out of 174 games = 47,7% win percentage

TRC conference where Miami East plays- 63 wins out of 111 games = 56.7% win percentage

Agree. If this ends up going statewide teams will realize that they can't keep going 20-2 against an awful schedule. I realize that if a team is playing all their league teams twice that they don't have as much leeway with playing good non-conference teams as some others do, but you need to get at least a couple.

Take 2022 D3 state runner up Ottawa Glandorf for example. They have played big non-conference games with Lutheran West, Cincinnati Princeton, Findlay & Lima Senior.....and still have Lexington, Lakota East, Rossford & Defiance (WBL) coming up. Sure they are 10-3, but their SOS is #4 in D3. I can guarantee you that there are very few D3 teams in the state that would look forward to a potential tourney matchup with them. Same with Lutheran East.....They are 9-4, but have the #1 SOS. When you play schedules like those two do, you don't have to win every game.....you just need to beat at least some of them and the RPI takes care of itself.

Last edited:
A singular flawed human may not be able to make an accurate ranking, a group of flawed humans with equal vote can make an accurate ranking and SWOH over the last 20 years is evidence of that.
In your opinion, but there are coaches and ADs in SWO that have complained over the years of being misplaced in those rankings. But everyone gets in and the games decide themselves.

In your opinion, but there are coaches and ADs in SWO that have complained over the years of being misplaced in those rankings. But everyone gets in and the games decide themselves.
That is fair, but I would love to hear specifics of those complaints. I have never seen a state title contender seeded 10th in a coaches sectional seed meeting. The coaches vote definitely has avoided the material/non-sensical rankings that the RPI shows.

That is fair, but I would love to hear specifics of those complaints. I have never seen a state title contender seeded 10th in a coaches sectional seed meeting. The coaches vote definitely has avoided the material/non-sensical rankings that the RPI shows.
I feel you are seeing it as a #1 seed vote or rank while all coaches involved feel they have a place where they feel their team should be. A coach who gets a 8th seed because of coaches but feels he should be 4th will be upset. And so one.

Probably get alot of people who will disagree but I would prefer to only count games played within the OHSAA and I would want a margin of victory included that was capped at 35 points.

I feel you are seeing it as a #1 seed vote or rank while all coaches involved feel they have a place where they feel their team should be. A coach who gets a 8th seed because of coaches but feels he should be 4th will be upset. And so one.
I'm not worried about #8 vs #10 in either system, or #1 vs #3 for that matter. I am only concerned with #1 being #10 or #1 being #49. If RPI had Taft 6th in Ohio last year we probably don't have this thread going. The RPI system was so materially incorrect in the ranking of the best team in Ohio, which immediately casts doubt on the system as a whole. And the same issues are popping up with each update.

@Yappi Not a bad idea. Concern off the top of my head would be "sportsmanship" and trying to run it up to 35 and schools shaping their schedule so they get a lot of 35 point wins, but not a bad idea to cap it at OHSAA teams since it is nearly impossible to accurately judge out of state teams.

I would use the point differential with diminishing returns.

A 6-point win would be worth more to a team than a 1-point win but a 35-point win would barely be better than a 25-point win.

On the flip-side, a 1-point loss is worth more than a 6-point loss and a 25-point loss is barely better than a 35-point loss.

If a coach chooses to run up the score, there would be almost no benefit in the RPI but they would take some heat from the fans, especially if they don't put in the backups.

I'm not worried about #8 vs #10 in either system, or #1 vs #3 for that matter. I am only concerned with #1 being #10 or #1 being #49. If RPI had Taft 6th in Ohio last year we probably don't have this thread going. The RPI system was so materially incorrect in the ranking of the best team in Ohio, which immediately casts doubt on the system as a whole. And the same issues are popping up with each update.
We have been thru this before, you may not care but you also. Do not get a vote. The coaches that were miss voted to #8 or #10 when they felt they earned #4 or #5 because of other coaches do care. And now they may have a method to remove those flawed coaches. The RPI treats everyone the same, it’s not personal.