2022-2023 Ohio State Basketball

Bama is definitely excellent thus far this year, and I concede that Oats seems like a good coach. My point is he went from 26-7 year two, to 19-14 and almost missed the tourney year three. You and your kind of OSU fan would have wanted him fired for 19-14, you can't deny it.
I will deny it, I did not want Matta fired, even though his final year at OSU was not great.

Thank God we lost. Was scared there for a minute OSU could back into a win. Holtmann seat should be getting hot even for one of the worst ADs in the country

Why was Sensabaugh on the floor to foul at end of the game? Are there no coaches on the team aware of his foul situation? Oh, wait I forgot my place, not to allow to question coaching decisions on this forum according to some.

Poor coaching, but even worse play on the court. Missed easy layups, baby hooks in the lane, silly fouls, and 65% from the FT line. Sueing looks lost right now as well.

Sueing has been inconsistent his entire career, and once again he was handling the bball at the end of the game not Thornton tells you what Holtmann thinks of Thornton as a pt. guard right now. Key is inconsistent and playing out of position, Of the transfers McNeil is the only one providing much. Sensabaugh is the only consistent player OSU can count on along with McNeil's 9 - 12 pts. Looking toward to next year Sensabaugh is gone along with McNeil still won't have a center will take time for Parks to develop and Holtmann will still be the HC, the future looks so bright.

Sueing has been inconsistent his entire career, and once again he was handling the bball at the end of the game not Thornton tells you what Holtmann thinks of Thornton as a pt. guard right now. Key is inconsistent and playing out of position, Of the transfers McNeil is the only one providing much. Sensabaugh is the only consistent player OSU can count on along with McNeil's 9 - 12 pts. Looking toward to next year Sensabaugh is gone along with McNeil still won't have a center will take time for Parks to develop and Holtmann will still be the HC, the future looks so bright.
Is Parks really that good? St. Mary's is like 6-5, right?

Thornton is just too fat and slow to be playing point guard. I figured his strength and shooting would offset that. It hasn’t

Is Parks really that good? St. Mary's is like 6-5, right?
He won't start his frosh year, needs to develop, has to have "better conditioning." Is a banger a true back to the basket center has nice touch near the basket strong enough to finish. Conditioning needs to improve but biggest question is will he be quick enough on the defensive end. Does not have really good guards on his HS team to work with. Averaging 19 pts a game but defenses game plan around Parks, shooting at a 67% clip. Only averages 6 boards a game which is somewhat concerning. Another player to keep an eye on in West Central Ohio is Collin White from Ottawa Glandorf, 6'6'' fwd. who is a good ball handler, shooter and can jump only a jr. White scored a school record 44 pts. against St. Marys a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited:
The kid from OG would be on my recruiting radar. West Virginia and I believe Xavier have offered him.

I'm not sure that I necessarily had grand expectations as it's kind of an inexact science projecting low-major and mid-major players who "transfer up", but it's disheartening to me that they haven't gotten more out of or done more with Tanner Holden. 20+ ppg scorer (and main guy) on a tournament team from a one big league, and in spite of the team's current struggles he comes off the bench and seems to be a distant afterthought in the offense averaging less than 5 ppg.

The kid from OG would be on my recruiting radar. West Virginia and I believe Xavier have offered him.

I'm not sure that I necessarily had grand expectations as it's kind of an inexact science projecting low-major and mid-major players who "transfer up",
It is an inexact science, yes, but it’s become another gut punch subject to be on the tOSU hoops fan following of.

I understand arguments that the program isn’t built to be transfer dominant like others in the B1G have started to become, but the team has four straight losses in conference play (all four of those opponents have starting PG pick-ups through the portal) and all the while you’re not getting a consistent clip of production b/w McNeil and Likele. <<>> But to your point on Holden: it’s poetic that Holtmann acquires a top player from the Horizon and the kid ends up being forgettable. Meanwhile, Steve Pikiell at Rutgers finds the point guard of his dreams through Loyola (MD) and gets linked to him because he was impressed with older brother Spencer’s game as a Northwestern Wildcat.

I sure hope this is rock bottom. I have never seen a team regress so much in only 2-3 weeks. Think about it - this was a really good team (nearing top 10 in Kenpom) that was a last second shot from beating Purdue. Since that Purdue shot went in, the team has been awful.

They went from being #1 in the nation in offensive efficiency to being the worst passing team around. The offense has devolved into a bunch of guys dribbling into bad spots. Lots of missed layups, poor free throw shooting, just a disaster on offense. I've been a Holtmann fan but a lot of this has to be on him - better fix it fast...

Other comments:
- Sueing has been god awful the last three games. Should not be on the court. I blame the hair change - the new cornrows are too tight on his head. Go back to the big afro!
- Key still looks hurt - not finishing strong at the rim.
- I want to see more time for Gayle and less time for Sueing and Likekele

New to this thread. Sick of OSU basketball.

Now's the time (end of season)....lets compile the list of candidates.

#1. Sean Miller, Xavier - Go make him one of the highest paid coaches in NCAA basketball. Make him an offer he cannot refuse. Period. End of discussion.

#2. Greg McDermott - He told you no once before, probably says the same thing this time around

#3. Bobby Hurley - OSU is a better job than Arizona St.....right?

#4. Rick Pitino - Wins everywhere. Greasy individual, but can't deny his coaching ability.

#5. Fill in the blank, up and coming guy......Greg Paulus ruffle anyone's feathers? - Only in his first year head coaching at Niagara (8-9)

I just can't get on board with Sean Miller, he never got Arizona over the hump and to the Final 4 and inherited an experienced good team in Xavier. Remember this is the same Xavier team who lost at home to Indiana, their schedule has been weak and the Big East is awful this season. Is he better than Holtmann? Absolutely. Is he what OSU needs? No way, we need a much better hire than him to turn this around.

I just can't get on board with Sean Miller, he never got Arizona over the hump and to the Final 4 and inherited an experienced good team in Xavier. Remember this is the same Xavier team who lost at home to Indiana, their schedule has been weak and the Big East is awful this season. Is he better than Holtmann? Absolutely. Is he what OSU needs? No way, we need a much better hire than him to turn this around.
Lol - Sean Miller would be a big get for OSU. Who would you say would be a realistic better hire than Sean Miller? Emphasis on realistic, because it would take a major payday just to get Miller IMO...

Lol - Sean Miller would be a big get for OSU. Who would you say would be a realistic better hire than Sean Miller? Emphasis on realistic, because it would take a major payday just to get Miller IMO...
Go back in the thread about a page, I listed my candidates there.

Nate Oats, Pat Kelsey, Brad Stevens (Yes you absolutely make that call, gauge his interest and offer him a blank check and full control), Billy Donovan, and yes even Chris Beard if he can clear his name. Need a grand slam hire, that is the list and should not be looking anywhere else. OSU has the resources to get these guys but the problem is our clown AD holding us back.
Nate Oats - Is OSU that much different or a better job than Bama? Seems like barely a lateral move for Oats?
Pat Kelsey - I can get on board with this, but not my first choice, gotta shoot bigger than this then circle back.
Brad Stevens - I don't see him coaching again, especially in college. If he was interested in doing so, he'd have been at UNC or Duke last year.
Billy Donovan - Only way he leaves Chicago is if they fire him. And again, I think he'd be looking for more of a blue blood school job.
Chris Beard - no thanks. OSU wouldn't be interested anyways, shades of Zach Smith situation all over again....

The curveball in all of this is Kentucky. If the rumor mill is true, and Cal is ready to move on to Texas...then Kentucky will get first dibs on anyone we list.

Nate Oats - Is OSU that much different or a better job than Bama? Seems like barely a lateral move for Oats?
Pat Kelsey - I can get on board with this, but not my first choice, gotta shoot bigger than this then circle back.
Brad Stevens - I don't see him coaching again, especially in college. If he was interested in doing so, he'd have been at UNC or Duke last year.
Billy Donovan - Only way he leaves Chicago is if they fire him. And again, I think he'd be looking for more of a blue blood school job.
Chris Beard - no thanks. OSU wouldn't be interested anyways, shades of Zach Smith situation all over again....

The curveball in all of this is Kentucky. If the rumor mill is true, and Cal is ready to move on to Texas...then Kentucky will get first dibs on anyone we list.
Nate Oats - YES and there is absolutely no comparison. Alabama has 0 basketball history. Plus Nate Oats is from the midwest
Kelsey - Has had success everywhere and would be the biggest gamble but he's a very good coach
Stevens - Did UNC or Dook even call him? OSU has more money to throw at coaches like him than anyone
Donovan - Same thing applies here, OSU has more money than anyone to throw at him
Beard - Let's let the dust settle here before making judgements but he's a great coach

Agreed on Kentucky

Nate Oats - YES and there is absolutely no comparison. Alabama has 0 basketball history. Plus Nate Oats is from the midwest
Kelsey - Has had success everywhere and would be the biggest gamble but he's a very good coach
Stevens - Did UNC or Dook even call him? OSU has more money to throw at coaches like him than anyone
Donovan - Same thing applies here, OSU has more money than anyone to throw at him
Beard - Let's let the dust settle here before making judgements but he's a great coach

Agreed on Kentucky
The best coaches in college basketball don't want to be at schools that basketball takes 2nd place. Basketball at OSU always takes 2nd place to football. OSU is not Duke, UNC, Kentucky, UCLA, Virginia, Syracuse......it's just not the same.

Outside of those blue blood basketball schools.....history of the program doesn't mean squat. Alabama and OSU are virtually the same. Big 10 is a better conference, thats about it.

I'm not saying I don't love the list. I just don't think Stevens or Donovan are realistic. Beard, Holtman needs to go at seasons end - the dust ain't settling that quickly...Love Oats, like Kelsey....

It will never happen and I'm sure many would disagree, but I would absolutely love to see end of career Bob Huggins for 5-7 years at Ohio State.

The window may actually be lining up for it as well. He canned his lead assistant who he's had with him long-term last week in an extremely odd in-season move that makes me think he's starting to get administrative heat for results sliding the last 4-5 years.

This isn't a job where you're swiping a big name from another major program or from the NBA. Alabama got Nate Oats because it was a major step up from Buffalo. Texas got Beard because he was an alum and it was his dream job. Previously, they got Shaka Smart when he was a hot name because Texas was a major step up from VCU. If Ohio State got it done, it would be the first time they've ever done it.

You are realistically looking at hot name mid-major coaches, guys with Ohio connections, and guys currently out of work. Coaches I would take (no particular order) that I think fit the above that you could legitimately get interest from are Huggins, Sean Miller, Chris Mack and Pat Kelsey. I like Anthony Grant as well, but IMO you couldn't get him to leave his alma mater in UD for anything but a major "basketball" school. Those would be my handful that I'd say if you could for sure get one of them...then Holtmann needs to be gone at season's end.

The best coaches in college basketball don't want to be at schools that basketball takes 2nd place. Basketball at OSU always takes 2nd place to football. OSU is not Duke, UNC, Kentucky, UCLA, Virginia, Syracuse......it's just not the same.

Outside of those blue blood basketball schools.....history of the program doesn't mean squat. Alabama and OSU are virtually the same. Big 10 is a better conference, thats about it.

I'm not saying I don't love the list. I just don't think Stevens or Donovan are realistic. Beard, Holtman needs to go at seasons end - the dust ain't settling that quickly...Love Oats, like Kelsey....
This is correct but at the same time OSU can offer money comparable or even exceeding some blue blood programs and OSU probably has the best basketball history amongst all of the teams that are more football schools. There are also so many great coaches out there and the blue bloods can't have them all. OSU can and has been great at both sports.

To say the Big East is terrible this year is silly.

I wouldn’t want McDermott. I’d want a crack at Miller, but good luck prying him out of the Cintas Center for the cavernous Schott.

How we feel on Tim Miles or Rick Junior? Both have years of Big 10 experience at crappier gigs than tOSU. Miles might not make as much sense, but Pitino is 40.

The way this job has normally processed when open, it's a problem that there are limited current "hot name" rising coaches at smaller schools in the Midwest. Drew Valentine from Loyola (Chicago)?

Jeff Boals anyone?

The way this job has normally processed when open, it's a problem that there are limited current "hot name" rising coaches at smaller schools in the Midwest. Drew Valentine from Loyola (Chicago)?

Jeff Boals anyone?
I think Valentine is a good up-and-comer and a name to keep an eye on. Interestingly enough he has two OCC/Central Ohio kids in his starting five. Loyola is kind of in a bind with them now being in the A-10, kinda like how UCONN was getting hurt on recruiting being in the American. His job has gotten exponentially harder in the process.

Jeff Goodman casually floating Holtmann as a current high-major name that "makes sense" for Notre Dame with Mike Brey retiring. There's no way we could be that fortunate.

Besides, I think that job has Porter Moser written all over it.