IUDOGS: 2022 - 2023 Ohio High School Head Football Coaching Changes

Head Football Coach
Newark Catholic High School (D-VII, Licking County League).
Candidates with experience as a Head Coach or Assistant Coach at the High School or Collegiate level are preferred. Must possess a demonstrated record of success, strong communication skills, and the ability to engage a wide variety of key stakeholders to our program. Must have or be able to pass a background check and obtain all required certifications, and a valid Pupil Activity Permit. Teaching/Administrative positions in the building are available. All applicants should send a Letter of Interest and Resume with 3-5 references to Athletic Director Travis Schwab at tschwab@newarkcatholic.org. Applications will be accepted until Friday Jan. 6th.
Didn’t this happen last year? What’s the issue?

Guys bunches around like a Basketball
I was thinking the same thing. I know StateChamp said he likes to build up Cincinnati Publics, but I think he bounces once the talent goes. I forget the kid's name, but he had a really good Q at CCPA. Once that kid was done with his senior year, he was gone. I have no idea what Woodward had this year, but if they were anchored by seniors, that might be why he bounced.

Reading the article it appears he's not a teacher, so it gives him the freedom to move
I don't understand why schools keep hiring guys that bounce around so much, that goes for colleges too. I want a guy to be present for at least 5 years, that way people can actually figure out if his system works. In 5 years you have had enough time to implement your off-season training programs, your offensive and defensive systems, and solidify your coaching staff. When people bounce every 2 or so years, who knows if you are truly a good coach or not.

Now, I don't blame anyone for wanting to better their own situation, but the jobs he has had none of them are drastically different or better than the others; so I don't quite get it.

I don't understand why schools keep hiring guys that bounce around so much, that goes for colleges too. I want a guy to be present for at least 5 years, that way people can actually figure out if his system works. In 5 years you have had enough time to implement your off-season training programs, your offensive and defensive systems, and solidify your coaching staff. When people bounce every 2 or so years, who knows if you are truly a good coach or not.

Now, I don't blame anyone for wanting to better their own situation, but the jobs he has had none of them are drastically different or better than the others; so I don't quite get it.
You are correct. Why don't you ask the people on the committees that select these guys to be interviewed and then offer them the position. It makes no sense.

You are correct. Why don't you ask the people on the committees that select these guys to be interviewed and then offer them the position. It makes no sense.
I think that’s the part that goes overlooked. You make a great point. What committee in their right mind would think hiring a nomad is a good idea? But I digress. Most of these committees are a complete joke and full of people who don’t know the first thing about being a head coach.

I was thinking the same thing. I know StateChamp said he likes to build up Cincinnati Publics, but I think he bounces once the talent goes. I forget the kid's name, but he had a really good Q at CCPA. Once that kid was done with his senior year, he was gone. I have no idea what Woodward had this year, but if they were anchored by seniors, that might be why he bounced.
Not true is this case has a lot of quality Juniors and and Sophomores on that Woodward team

I wonder who may follow him to Purcell?

These people that are on committees have absolutely no idea what they are doing and are at awe of anyone that comes in with a sparkly binder full of culture rhetoric with a catchy phrase! "Row the Boat"

I can hear the interview --- I admit I moved around quite a bit and to honest I am looking for the perfect fit and after looking at your school, the administration and athletic director, the students I feel you are it. I would love to put my coaching knowledge to use and bring many years of success to this program. And we hear your hired!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keith Wakefield hitting the nail on the head when it comes to hiring Football Coaches:

"You have to remember a lot of people who are making decisions about who their next head coach is going to be know nothing about coaching," Wakefield said. "That's just the way it is in high school. That's a fact."

there is a lot of wisdom in that article. and its almost 6 years old to boot. But he hits the nail on the head about the discipline piece for sure!

Norwalk High School will officially be looking for a head football coach next season.
https://norwalkreflector.com/news/433288/schools-fox-to-part-ways-tonight/
Current Interim coach is Jason Ziegler.
"interim coach" during basketball season LOL

but Norwalk spent $100,000 investigating allegations that head coach failed to report 2 incidents

1670992042973.png

Whoa! Those Norwalk boys !

Any news on some of these coaching moves? Some of these jobs have got to be getting close to interviews and what not.

Heard from a fairly reliable source that Westerville North will be interviewing 9-10 candidates soon. No word on TV, Newark Catholic, Scioto, Pick Central, Westland or any of the Columbus City openings. I bet it will slow down even more with Christmas break coming up.