Division VI State Championship: Marion Local (15-0) vs Kirtland (15-0)

Who wins?

• Marion Local by 17+

Votes: 17 8.9%
  • Marion Local by 8-16

Votes: 56 29.5%
  • Marion Local by 1-7

Votes: 54 28.4%
  • Kirtland by 1-7

Votes: 38 20.0%
  • Kirtland by 8-16

Votes: 20 10.5%
  • Kirtland by 17+

Votes: 5 2.6%

• Total voters
Did both teams come out healthy after Saturday's games? Kirtland had an easier path to the state finals this year compared to last year and would expect to be fresher coming into last game.this year.
ML has cruised through most of its playoff games this year except having Meier getting hurt late in Versailles game. If he can come back and play LB, I would think ML would handle Kirtland's rushing attack. I think he will not be back to playing defense and this opens this game up to any teams game.
My wishes for good health after the game and a win for the MAC.

Did both teams come out healthy after Saturday's games? Kirtland had an easier path to the state finals this year compared to last year and would expect to be fresher coming into last game.this year.
ML has cruised through most of its playoff games this year except having Meier getting hurt late in Versailles game. If he can come back and play LB, I would think ML would handle Kirtland's rushing attack. I think he will not be back to playing defense and this opens this game up to any teams game.
My wishes for good health after the game and a win for the MAC.
Not having Meier at linebacker is a big loss but the Flyers need him at rb. Very good between the tackles and scored 22 TD's during the reg, season even though did not carry the football much in the non-league games. Flyer's offense is not the same without Meier at tailback he keeps the defense honest they can't key on ML's misdirection and sweeps.

Not having Meier at linebacker is a big loss but the Flyers need him at rb. Very good between the tackles and scored 22 TD's during the reg, season even though did not carry the football much in the non-league games. Flyer's offense is not the same without Meier at tailback he keeps the defense honest they can't key on ML's misdirection and sweeps.

Yes, the sweeps to the perimeter aren't going to get the job done against Kirtland. In the 2017 game MSML established the run up the middle. Of course in that game MSML had a clear strength advantage over Kirtland which they don't have this year. But the formula still remains. Need to establish the run game up the middle. When Meier finally got consistent touches last night in the 3rd quarter, that loosened up the D. It is nice to have D Seitz as an option. Probably won't be anyone on the field this Saturday with his combination of size/speed.

Yes, the sweeps to the perimeter aren't going to get the job done against Kirtland. In the 2017 game MSML established the run up the middle. Of course in that game MSML had a clear strength advantage over Kirtland which they don't have this year. But the formula still remains. Need to establish the run game up the middle. When Meier finally got consistent touches last night in the 3rd quarter, that loosened up the D. It is nice to have D Seitz as an option. Probably won't be anyone on the field this Saturday with his combination of size/speed.
Marion Local was definitely the stronger team in 2017. Dirksen showed why he was going to Notre Dame. And Kirtland had no answer for Tangeman at WR

Marion Local was definitely the stronger team in 2017. Dirksen showed why he was going to Notre Dame. And Kirtland had no answer for Tangeman at WR

One play I remember involving Tangeman that summarized Kirtland's struggle that game was on the opening drive of the third quarter. Marion Local was up 20-3 but in my mind the game was far from over, after watching Kirtland come back in the 4th quarter two years earlier. Anyway the Flyers marched down the field and scored a TD, only to have it called back on a penalty. I think it was 3rd and goal from the 15 or so, I don't remember the exact distance, but they flushed Bruns out of the pocket and he hit Tangeman in the end zone. That was the proverbial back-breaker.

I would probably set the line at Marion -7. And I would set the over/under at 20. LOL. I think 10 points could easily win this game (ala the Coldwater-Kirtland final years ago).

Points are going to be very hard to come by w/o turnovers or big special team plays. These teams are so well-coached and so sound.

I would probably set the line at Marion -7. And I would set the over/under at 20. LOL. I think 10 points could easily win this game (ala the Coldwater-Kirtland final years ago).

Points are going to be very hard to come by w/o turnovers or big special team plays. These teams are so well-coached and so sound.
I agree…outside of the 2017 thrashing MSML gave Kirtland, the other 2 games were defensive battles and neither team was able to wear out the other like they are accustomed to doing with other opponents.

That Coldwater-Kirtland game was one of my favorite I’ve ever watched in person. What a freakin battle that was!

Given the dominance of the Marion Local defense, I am even considering lowering this number to 10.

Is that the O/U? :)

MSML has given up 3 points in five playoff games, Kirtland 18.

Somebody has to score at some point so I predict:

The seniors will miss graduation because the game is still going on with no score. The bus drivers' CDLs have all expired so everybody involved has to walk home.

Finally, it ends 6-3 in 114 OTs. You pick the winner.

This should be a great game. Good luck to both teams.

GO HORNETS!

I always root for the Northeastern schools so my heart is for Kirtland, but my head says it will be Marion Local. They will score late to put it out of reach 17-8.

Some key information I found interesting...
  • Marion Local has given up double digits one time (16 to State Finalist New Bremen) and only 3 points since September 23rd (9 games).
  • Kirtland has been almost equally impressive (two teams reached double digits, 24 points in the last 8 games)
  • Marion Local plays in most likely the toughest small division league in the state. (all 10 teams in regular season qualified for state tournament)
  • Kirtland played 5 teams in Division 3 or higher. (combined record 31-24 with 3 state qualifiers and only one team with a losing record)

The real burning question is will Kirkland score any points? ML defense this year is astonishing
MSML’s defensive run this year is astonishing…but Kirtland will score (the last time they were shutout was by Cuyahoga Falls in 2017 or 2018).

I am not sure how this game will go. MSML is favored by 10 by Drew Pasteur for good reason. I expect a low scoring game. And I wouldn’t be surprised if Kirtland pulls out the W. They are on a mission, especifically with Tiger coaching his 2 sons (senior LB and FB Philip and freshman QB Jake). I know they are doing everything they can to win a championship in the only year he has both on the team.

Was this writer even at the game, Meier barely played. Appreciate the coverage but c'mon.

MSML’s defensive run this year is astonishing…but Kirtland will score (the last time they were shutout was by Cuyahoga Falls in 2017 or 2018).

I am not sure how this game will go. MSML is favored by 10 by Drew Pasteur for good reason. I expect a low scoring game. And I wouldn’t be surprised if Kirtland pulls out the W. They are on a mission, especifically with Tiger coaching his 2 sons (senior LB and FB Philip and freshman QB Jake). I know they are doing everything they can to win a championship in the only year he has both on the team.
Two great programs

They have played teams from the MAC a total of 7 times, losing 4 of those contests. They do however, have a 2-1 record against Marion Local. I believe Kirtland's only state finals losses have come against MAC teams.
more so meant how different teams from the MAC have they played?

i know of Marion Local, Coldwater, Versailles, and Minster. not sure if i’m missing any.

Last edited: