Division V State Championship: Ironton (15-0) vs. South Range (15-0)

Who wins?

• Ironton by 17+

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Ironton by 8-16

Votes: 13 7.9%
  • Ironton by 1-7

Votes: 27 16.5%
  • South Range by 1-7

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • South Range by 8-16

Votes: 52 31.7%
  • South Range by 17+

Votes: 27 16.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Don't be fooled by the score. Ironton scored the final 28 points of the game vs VV. If they'd have played the whole game like that, it would have (and, in my opinion, should have) been a running clock. Nothing but respect for VV and SR, but the "on a mission" and "on another level" statements are true of Ironton, as well...having lost in 2019 and 2020 - plus having loads of talent and steamrolling through the playoffs.

This will be a dandy, I like Irontons chances, they’re on a mission this year. This Senior class has the most wins of any class in the Fighting Tigers storied history. This will be their 3rd State Championship appearance and they’re hungry to finish the job.

Go Fighting Tigers….

Don't be fooled by the score. Ironton scored the final 28 points of the game vs VV. If they'd have played the whole game like that, it would have (and, in my opinion, should have) been a running clock. Nothing but respect for VV and SR, but the "on a mission" and "on another level" statements are true of Ironton, as well...having lost in 2019 and 2020 - plus having loads of talent and steamrolling through the playoffs.
Was at the game. Ironton had a muffed punt that VV scooped up and scored as well. As silly as it sounds; Ironton gets that punt off, VV might have only had 14

Was watching the game as a neutral spectator on Ironton’s side; they had ALOT of calls go against them as well. But good teams battle, and Ironton did just that; I think VV had 4 turnovers (fumbled first play of the game, INT in the endzone, and 2 other INTs in the 4Q). Ironton capitalized on almost every one. They’ve got a good 2 headed monster in #5 and #7. Solid team!

I’ve tried to temper my SR enthusiasm. But, they are 100% legit. So balanced on offense. So good in the front 7. Only way you beat them is secondary or with lots of D1 skill.

I voted Ironton #1 every poll. But, I think SR may be a touch better. Really looking forward to making trip to Canton.

If Ironton wasn't playing South Range I would be pulling for them. I think I have seen all of their title games except the first one in 73 as Mooney was playing WWR in the AAA title game at the same time. They have suffered some heart-breaking losses in the finals, thinking specifically of 1993 & 99.

I have not seen this year's Tigers but I think it will take their best effort to beat S. Range and vice versa. Good luck to both teams. As always, I hope to see a great game with no injuries.

GO RAIDERS!

If....lot's of things.

I’ve tried to temper my SR enthusiasm. But, they are 100% legit. So balanced on offense. So good in the front 7. Only way you beat them is secondary or with lots of D1 skill.

I voted Ironton #1 every poll. But, I think SR may be a touch better. Really looking forward to making trip to Canton.
Ironton QB can pass and he’s really accurate

This is the matchup that a state title game deserves. Both teams are on a mission and want that trophy! Both senior classes have won the most games in their programs history. Both teams undefeated. This is going to be a slugfest. Can’t wait to see this game! I got the Raiders in a close one by 7.

Well Ironton has the skilled guys to get it done, Keyes RB headed to Wisconsin, Perkins WR to Cincinnati. They’ve also got Carter LB headed to Cincinnati. Eager for this game cannot wait!

Great title game SRs offense is very balanced its almost like pick your poison when trying to stop them. Also, they are very underrated defensively.

Like it was stated above, this is Ironton senior class's 3rd trip to the finals. I'm sure Coach Laverde will give Coach Yaegley some tips on how to beat Ironton. This is also probably the best game all weekend!

Good luck tp both teams. I may have to get sick on Friday call off work and make the trip to Canton Friday morning.

Last edited:
SR will not beat themselves. Ironton needs to play a clean game I think this game goes late into the 4th. Go raiders
Went to the game. First time seeing Ironton play. Ironton never used its best player until down 21-7. He then got 150 yards and 3 touchdowns on 13 carries. I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets it 30 times this week. I can see why he’s going to Wisconsin. Looks 6’2 220

Gentlemen,

It occurs to me that this will be the first ever match-up of 15-0 teams in Ohio football history. Chardon and Badin were both undefeated going into last year's D3 title game, but Badin was 14-0. Chardon became the first team in Ohio history to go 16-0, followed the next day by MSML. If Kirtland and MSML both win tonight, as I suspect will happen, they would also both be 15-0 but they would not play for the title until Saturday.

Went to the game. First time seeing Ironton play. Ironton never used its best player until down 21-7. He then got 150 yards and 3 touchdowns on 13 carries. I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets it 30 times this week. I can see why he’s going to Wisconsin. Looks 6’2 220
That was #5 Jacquez Keyes.
IronTon has not over-utilized him all season, purpisefully, IMO.
Head Coach Pendleton & His brother as an assistant coach, & the entire coaching staff have effectively developed every player incredibly.
Slowly unleashing that development only when needed & holding it close and slowly unleashing it to this point.
The development & depth of WR’s & RB’s is remarkable.

They’ve mixed it up offensively last night, where before, #10 - Tayden Carpenter(qb) & #3 Ty PerKins (wr) were the bread & butter all season with accurate passing & receiving.

But VV really did well, double & triple teaming Perkins, with a 6”6’, & then two others 6+footers when needed, so IHS unleashed the other 5 WR’s & The rushing attack with a balanced mix to top 500-yards of offense.

The sore thumb is 10 laundries for 105-yard & if has happened several times this season.

IHS must play clean, loosely aggressive, & utilize that offensive mix to challenge for the big hat to bring to southern Ohio.
The 2019 & 2020 finals -V-KirtLand has fueled this squad to 3/4 state finals in 4-years.

GOOD LUCK & No Injury game to both IHS & CSR.

#GoTgo
#BeTheStorm