Division V State Championship: Ironton (15-0) vs. South Range (15-0)

Who wins?

• Ironton by 17+

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Ironton by 8-16

Votes: 13 7.9%
  • Ironton by 1-7

Votes: 27 16.5%
  • South Range by 1-7

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • South Range by 8-16

Votes: 52 31.7%
  • South Range by 17+

Votes: 27 16.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I thought Ironton had components to make it close. Namely they could throw the ball well. I would have abandoned run early — you can’t run on SR.

Not sure if Ironton had a good answer for SR offense, though. Some good players in that front 7. And some good kids in coverage. But SR is really, really good on offense.

If you initiate contact with a player without a helmet it is a 15 yard personal foul.
For what it’s worth, to give some context: it was the QB whose helmet got knocked off, and got taken to the ground afterwards. There wasn’t a flag on that happening. I don’t know if there should have, or not. I’ll defer to you.

On that same play, down the field, the WR was flagged for a facemask (correct call, replay showed it.) I presume @Buckeye Elite was saying that it was a dumb action to incur the penalty. Or maybe he thought it was a dumb call. 🙂

Ironton fan here. SR has some really nice players on top of being well coached. Well deserved champions.
Congratulations on a tremendous to Ironton also. Any team that goes 15-0 is one of the best in the state. Hopefully, this is not the first meeting between are two outstanding programs.

Congratulations on a tremendous to Ironton also. Any team that goes 15-0 is one of the best in the state. Hopefully, this is not the first meeting between are two outstanding programs.
Does that make South Range the first team in OHSAA history to beat a 15-win program? I believe Chardon and MSML's wins were over 14-0 (Badin) and 14-1 (Newark Catholic) teams last year.

Does that make South Range the first team in OHSAA history to beat a 15-win program? I believe Chardon and MSML's wins were over 14-0 (Badin) and 14-1 (Newark Catholic) teams last year.
Yes. See post below from last Saurday.
Gentlemen,

It occurs to me that this will be the first ever match-up of 15-0 teams in Ohio football history. Chardon and Badin were both undefeated going into last year's D3 title game, but Badin was 14-0. Chardon became the first team in Ohio history to go 16-0, followed the next day by MSML. If Kirtland and MSML both win tonight, as I suspect will happen, they would also both be 15-0 but they would not play for the title until Saturday.