D IV State Semi-Final: Steubenville (12-2) vs Wyoming (14-0)

Who wins?

• Steubenville

Votes: 58 43.9%
  • Wyoming

Votes: 74 56.1%

• Total voters
-Wyoming defense is very very much for real.
-shutting out 10 of 14 opponents is no joke
-Only 1 team has scored more than 1 TD and that was during garbage time.
-“Big Red” better figure out how to move ball against 2 interior 265/270 lb tackles and very good DE
Secondary is loaded with athletes /defends extremely well

game won’t be close
Ok. You are obviously not from Wyoming, and you are trying to "stir the pot". Wyoming DOES NOT feel this way! Both Wyoming and Steubenville are good teams with great football histories! Wyoming knows this is going to be a hard fought low scoring game. It's the final 4! This game will be close! (BTW according to Drew Pasteur Steubenville is the favorite)

OVAC is funny the way they talk smack about each other. My niece married a former QB from Buckeye South and to hear him tell it OVAC had the greatest small school football "back in the day." Presumably that was the leather helmet days. The newspaper clippings practically described him as the Terry Bradshaw of his Franco Harris led team except him and Franco were about 5'9". I don't think they ever qualified for the playoffs, but the OVAC battles were bigger than state, lol.

Wyoming is very fundamentally sound. Their defense spends more time on run fits and technique (i.e. hand placement, reading a block, the LB's making the DE right) than anywhere else I've coached, including college. Offensively, the QBs have been in a position similar to Alex Smith with the 49ers and Chiefs. Manage the game and don't make a mistake. They do throw a good deep ball. CJ is not your typical HS back. State Qualifier wrestler ( how many RBs wrestle?) great leg strength & his balance and the way he runs behind his pads is something that is hard to coach that he's been doing naturally. Almost the same OL has been playing together for 3 years now and that comraderie might be the most valuable asset to Wyoming. Steubenville plays a tougher schedule and that's not close. The CHL is like the MAC in FBS football. I think Big Red, top to bottom, has better athletes. This is a talent vs technique game imo. Wyoming is better coached and has better technique. Steubenville has more skill.

I disagree. I have seen both multiple times over the years. Make no mistake, no matter how much you hate to admit it, Steuby is as well coached as Wyoming.
Reno has averaged 11 wins per year for 40 years, has won 19 regional titles 9 final game appearances and is the all time winningest coach in Ohio history and one of the top all time winners in the US. I would venture to say the “Wyoming is better coached” is a huge stretch and almost laughable. I’d take Reno and staff over any in Ohio. And we too have a RB that is great wrestler in the 220 lb class and a state runner up playing in our secondary. This will be a good close game and either team has as good a shot at beating the other. If your stud running back has a great game Wyoming probably wins. If not and we prevent the home run we win. Pretty simple stuff.

Ok. You are obviously not from Wyoming, and you are trying to "stir the pot". Wyoming DOES NOT feel this way! Both Wyoming and Steubenville are good teams with great football histories! Wyoming knows this is going to be a hard fought low scoring game. It's the final 4! This game will be close! (BTW according to Drew Pasteur Steubenville is the favorite)
Welcome to a Steubenville football thread!! Get use to it, every week we see a “new” member on one of our threads that likes to “stir the pot”. It’s been going on since the JJHuddle days!! We know how Wyoming really feels. And I know how Steubenville feels.

2 great historic programs going at it tomorrow night! Gonna be a game!! Best of luck!

Reno has averaged 11 wins per year for 40 years, has won 19 regional titles 9 final game appearances and is the all time winningest coach in Ohio history and one of the top all time winners in the US. I would venture to say the “Wyoming is better coached” is a huge stretch and almost laughable. I’d take Reno and staff over any in Ohio. And we too have a RB that is great wrestler in the 220 lb class and a state runner up playing in our secondary. This will be a good close game and either team has as good a shot at beating the other. If your stud running back has a great game Wyoming probably wins. If not and we prevent the home run we win. Pretty simple stuff.
Don't know the teams we play, so not sure if 11 wins per year is good or not? Well, Big Red(essentially Reno) has a playoff winning percentage of about 71% placing him 7th among all of the teams in Ohio!

OVAC is funny the way they talk smack about each other. My niece married a former QB from Buckeye South and to hear him tell it OVAC had the greatest small school football "back in the day." Presumably that was the leather helmet days. The newspaper clippings practically described him as the Terry Bradshaw of his Franco Harris led team except him and Franco were about 5'9". I don't think they ever qualified for the playoffs, but the OVAC battles were bigger than state, lol.
There are 4 current OVAC schools in the top 12 all time for Ohio high school win totals……

Welcome to a Steubenville football thread!! Get use to it, every week we see a “new” member on one of our threads that likes to “stir the pot”. It’s been going on since the JJHuddle days!! We know how Wyoming really feels. And I know how Steubenville feels.

2 great historic programs going at it tomorrow night! Gonna be a game!! Best of luck!
The Tigers are getting worked by Hoban so get ready for the invasion of Maxie and the gang tonight and tomorrow

Wyoming is very fundamentally sound. Their defense spends more time on run fits and technique (i.e. hand placement, reading a block, the LB's making the DE right) than anywhere else I've coached, including college. Offensively, the QBs have been in a position similar to Alex Smith with the 49ers and Chiefs. Manage the game and don't make a mistake. They do throw a good deep ball. CJ is not your typical HS back. State Qualifier wrestler ( how many RBs wrestle?) great leg strength & his balance and the way he runs behind his pads is something that is hard to coach that he's been doing naturally. Almost the same OL has been playing together for 3 years now and that comraderie might be the most valuable asset to Wyoming. Steubenville plays a tougher schedule and that's not close. The CHL is like the MAC in FBS football. I think Big Red, top to bottom, has better athletes. This is a talent vs technique game imo. Wyoming is better coached and has better technique. Steubenville has more skill.
I played for Coach Seymour and Coach Schnee when they were at Kings. Excellent football coaches.

I don’t consider that bottled up. Preventing the big explosive plays is the key. Hey, if they give it to him 30 times and he gains 200 yards as long as none of those carries are long explosive plays that’s all you can do. I think it is safe to say Wyoming is a one dimensional team and lean one guy exclusively to carry them. When 85% of your offense goes through one guy it would seem an easy game plan. That said I have always had admiration for those teams who are exclusively run only, you know exactly what they’re going to do but cannot stop them….. Kirtland, Mooney and Colerain at various times come to mind. Wyoming is going to line up and test the toughness of their opponents. I think the Mighty Big Red always passes the toughness test. After that it all comes down to talent. And I think talent wise both teams are even. Then it goes to turnovers and mistakes, who makes the least wins the game. If SHS continues on with this penalty problem it will be tough to win. All that says is it makes for a great game between two very evenly matched teams. ROLL RED ROLL!
I keep hearing about this "penalty problem" that Steubenville has-- but then, I also hear regularly about how great the head coach/coaching staff is at Steubenville-- I'll ask again (because I'm having a hard time reconciling those two things, and nobody has given me much of an answer)-- how can both of those be true at the same time?

I just discovered something very interesting. Wyoming had a HIGHLY recruited dual threat QB (Prater) a couple years ago when they won the title. He had video game passing stats. Wyoming was a pass heavy team. Just 4 years ago. They have evolved into a run heavy team. Is there a different coach or the same coach who really coach’s based on the type of talent they have or am
I talking about 2 different coaches here? It’s kind of odd the same coach can go from 2 different extremes. If it is the same coach then he’s a great coach.
That kid (Prater) started at QB for the University of Cincinnati against Tulane in their Top 25 matchup yesterday-- although UC lost, Prater seems to have played pretty well-- he was driving UC for the tying FG, late in the game, but his pass attempt on 4th and long with less than a minute to go in the game (which hit the WR in the hands) was dropped, resulting in UC turning the ball over on downs, and a UC loss.

Wyoming historically had a balanced offense most years-- often even using a LOT of trick/gadget plays in the passing game-- these last two years with a less balanced offense (which is actually MORE balanced than last year's-- Hester has run it less this year than last year) is the result of having a RB who is so much better than just about everyone he plays against that the head coach would just be being foolish if he didn't start out by giving Hester ample opportunities to dominate games.

Wyoming is NOT like Clinton-Massie or (so I've heard) Kirtland or Mooney (back in their heyday), with a fundamental philosophy of trying almost exclusively to run the ball-- Wyoming's coaching staff has generally used all the tools that they had available, to try to score however they could--if that means passing it (Wyoming had an big passing attack, back in the state semi-finals in 2010, when they had an excellent QB), Wyoming will throw it...

I keep hearing about this "penalty problem" that Steubenville has-- but then, I also hear regularly about how great the head coach/coaching staff is at Steubenville-- I'll ask again (because I'm having a hard time reconciling those two things, and nobody has given me much of an answer)-- how can both of those be true at the same time?
The best answer there is…. Reno teaches the kids to play to the echo of the whistle. So maybe you could say they are at times over aggressive. I’d also say times have changed a little. A dead ball foul or personal foul landed you on the bench
and a tough week at practice. But not so much now. And, I firmly believe that if you get a reputation for being heavily penalized the officials watch you must closer and will call more ticky tacky stuff.

This game will be aired live on Spectrum tonight. Looking forward to watching what should be a good game.

Go Wyoming!

This game will be aired live on Spectrum tonight. Looking forward to watching what should be a good game.

Go Wyoming!
I hope. I’m a little nervous after watching Lamar Sperling run for 300 in Hobans beat down of Massillon. I figured at this stage if you know exactly what a team Is going to do, you should be able to stop them. Hoban ran him 40 times and Massillon had no answer. Wyoming is going to give their RB the ball all night. He is literally 90% of their offensive output. If he is anywhere near as good as Sperling it could be a tough night. I am confident we can get the job done stopping the run.

Yes you do when your regular season schedule is bad.
Hey Bozo the Clown, I know you’re butt hurt and all from another beatdown, but The Big Red’s schedule was as good as any team in D4. The same guy that ranked your tigers schedule one of the tops in D2, and who you and your fellow Massillonian yappites are happy to quote very often, drew Pasteur, ranked The Big Red’s schedule THE BEST in D4. Since you guys dropped us you probably don’t follow D4 much. Next, your 0-51 streak remains intact. Maybe it’s time to cry your way down another division ala Gwinnville. Come on down to D4 brother. It just might work. And will you answer the all time unanswered question? When I played in the late 70’s that big old sign at PBTS said 22 state titles. Since you haven’t won a state championship since what, 1970, how did that number go from 22 to 24? Did the chamber of commerce just add them on? Or was there another popular vote among the Yappites.