Columbus bidding on state finals

The Byers comment had nothing to do with Benson and crowd. Rather, if we are going tk say Welcome is adequate, then Byers would be as well. What is the difference between the 2?

Playing the finals in Dayton or Toledo doesn't make any more sense than playing them in Canton. If the soccer stadium in Columbus has turf, play the finals at the soccer stadium in Columbus. I am kinda' surprised the soccer guys went with turf, I thought those guys were big on natural grass.
It would be the old soccer stadium and it does have "fake turf"

The Byers comment had nothing to do with Benson and crowd. Rather, if we are going tk say Welcome is adequate, then Byers would be as well. What is the difference between the 2?
Parking.

Welcome had one spot per seat. Byers has hardly any parking unless you like some lumpy grass areas

Those stadiums are 26 miles apart, and I can't see NW Ohio putting together a better package than the highly motivated Hall of Fame.

For me personally, heck yeah.

Oh being a realist, I know it has less than 0 shot at ever happening lol.

But if it did I'd go every year lol.

Historic Crew would be great. How unsafe can a person feel walking from the parking lot to the stadium? With the finals in Canton we stay 10 minutes away, and we’d do the same in Columbus.

The whole atmosphere discussion is overblown. I’ve seen great atmospheres at the Shoe and terrible atmospheres at good old Booster Stadium in Maria Stein. It’s all a function of how competitive the games are.

1) The OHSAA would prefer the games be in Columbus because not only is better financially for them, but it's better for the rest of the state (outside of Stark County residents). Centrally located works best for the majority. That's not some political conspiracy. It's common sense.

2) There are as many, if not more "drug den motels" near the stadium in Canton as there are near Historic Crew Stadium.

3) If Ohio Stadium were still an available option to the OHSAA, they would have continued to host it there. No one cares about your opinion that it's cavernous. If you attended any of the state championship games in the 2010s, you would know there was a tremendous atmosphere for even the Division 7 games when there were only a few thousand fans in attendance.
Here we go again, same old dead horse. This argument comes around every few years. C’bus even when they had the games cannot provide the volunteers and staffing consistently in order to provide a permanent home. They do the games for a year or two, lose interest or try to raise their prices too much, forcing OHSAA back to Canton. Attendence variations were due to covid and streaming.

Here we go again, same old dead horse. This argument comes around every few years. C’bus even when they had the games cannot provide the volunteers and staffing consistently in order to provide a permanent home. They do the games for a year or two, lose interest or try to raise their prices too much, forcing OHSAA back to Canton. Attendence variations were due to covid and streaming.
So in 2019 when attendance was 20,000 less for the weekend than it was when it was in Columbus, that was COVID? Or are you maybe not telling the truth?

So in 2019 when attendance was 20,000 less for the weekend than it was when it was in Columbus, that was COVID? Or are you maybe not telling the truth?
Your cherry picking. Attendance was essentially the same looking at 2015 and 2017, which were massive years. 2018 was similar to Columbus then the drop in 2019.

Your cherry picking. Attendance was essentially the same looking at 2015 and 2017, which were massive years. 2018 was similar to Columbus then the drop in 2019.
Ok then.

Average attendance per game when they were in Columbus: 8,393
Average attendance per game since they returned to Canton (throwing out 2020): 7,078

Now...i'm not a mathematician, i'm a cherry picker, but you tell me which number is higher.

Ok then.

Average attendance per game when they were in Columbus: 8,393
Average attendance per game since they returned to Canton (throwing out 2020): 7,078

Now...i'm not a mathematician, i'm a cherry picker, but you tell me which number is higher.
2001, 2002 Canton, since we're cherry picking.

smh

1300 is not huge and is so team dependent as to invite some analysis for other reasons than location. Those Columbus years not only had Joe Burrow, who was a huge attraction they also had Bishop Ready and Wayne. The "central" location might not have made a huge difference one way or the other.

Said before, have multiple locations. Cleveland, Cincy, Columbus, Canton, Massillon, Toledo area, & Athens area. Until you get a Ford Field or Lucas Oil near Columbus, forget about having it in one location.
As long as OHSAA solicits bids rather than does the soliciting themselves for the best cost, you're only going to get the locations actually eager to host. And it might not be the most beneficial to the OHSAA.

Currently, Canton was the only interested party.

As for those complaining about Columbus bidding, this isn't Ohio State. This would be the Browns and Haslam, owner of the Crew, wanting to make use of their old stadium that's still standing and turfed for events just like this. Ohio State and the previous Columbus hosts would have nothing to do with it.

Byers has tons of parking. The mall or former mall is literally steps away. Our home field and I park there every time and from car door to seat in under 5 min
I'll say this on behalf of Byers: Parma isn't a warzone quite like inner city Columbus. I love Columbus but that neighborhood near the state fairgrounds is awful especially east of 71.

If you get a hotel on Dublin Granville Road or Morse Road or near the old Crew Stadium, God help you.

Last edited:
As long as OHSAA solicits bids rather than does the soliciting themselves for the best cost, you're only going to get the locations actually eager to host. And it might not be the most beneficial to the OHSAA.

Currently, Canton was the only interested party.

As for those complaining about Columbus bidding, this isn't Ohio State. This would be the Browns and Haslam, owner of the Crew, wanting to make use of their old stadium that's still standing and turfed for events just like this. Ohio State and the previous Columbus hosts would have nothing to do with it.
Question: doesn't the City of Columbus now own the old Crew Stadium? I believe it was handed over to the city. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

Said before, have multiple locations. Cleveland, Cincy, Columbus, Canton, Massillon, Toledo area, & Athens area. Until you get a Ford Field or Lucas Oil near Columbus, forget about having it in one location.
Agreed. Football is a great thing in Ohio. Celebrate it. Rotate it. And frankly if the Canton HOF management is gonna go halfway, it should rotate but the area at the old Crew Stadium and fairgrounds could be much better.

If Massillon wants back in the mix, let em in.

Maybe Ohio State would be OK hosting every few years but not every year?

Last edited:
I went to a division 1 state title game at the shoe back in 2015 and found the atmosphere very good. People sit together mostly in lower level midfield and it's plenty loud when you are all together. Also the parking was excellent for the smaller crowds.

Logically, it should be Toledo. State champ sites should be neutral ground and since we rarely have a dog in the hunt....

sigh
I'm not against Toledo getting an occasional shot and some state agency offices could be sent to Toledo or other regions. Yes there should be some "decentralized" state government. Leaders lead and they should look out for all areas of Ohio.

Last edited: