D3 Region 10

This argument has been brought up for weeks now and keeps getting ignored or fluffed off.

No one has said the schedule to isn’t tough. No one has said the schedule is filled with suicide missions.

But….there has been a one way focus, on the tough teams and no mentions of losing the Boardman, Buchtel and Brecksville games from the Benedictine faithful. They automatically bring up other teams weak schedules. Other teams being scared to play them. And if anyone brings up those games and how even average teams should and have beat those teams, then they get attacked as clueless.

People were making arguments that they were still one of the best teams in region 9. Even at 0-3. And it kept getting mentioned that once the playoffs come around, whoever gets paired with Benedictine will not be happy. Be scared……. But it doesn’t look like Boardman, Buchtel or Brecksville got the memo that they were supposed to be scared of them and that no one in r9 is going to want to see them at the end of October.
And for what it is worth Benedictine at the level they were playing at against Walsh and Cleveland Heights shows their true strength and ability. The results against Boardman, Buchtel and Brecksville are not truly representative of their actual strength or lack thereof. Based on Drew Pasteur's rankings they probably had the strength to be ranked roughly 70-80 in the state of Ohio, Drew has them ranked as #171 after they gave up on the season.

Didn't realize I was debating a Benedictine guy. Should've looked. Benedictine ran a serious gauntlet this year, no doubt. Easily the #1 toughest schedule in D3. On one hand, I see a 2OT loss to Walsh who boat-raced Padua, so maybe they were good. On the other hand, I see a loss to possibly Brecksville's worst team of all time that I sincerely believe Padua would've beaten (by my eye test). If he's looking for attboys, I'd assume Padua would be no better than 1-9, 2-8, or 3-7 with Benedictine's schedule.

I'm all for scheduling up, but Benedictine's schedule was insane. All in all, I'd put Padua, Holy Name, VASJ, and Benedictine on par with each other with "on any given Friday" applying. It'd be nice to have them all in the Crown Conference so there wasn't so much OOC scheduling, but VASJ won't be welcome as long as Rotsky is there.
I think this is well put.

Yes, Benedictine would have had a much better record playing Holy Name or Padua's schedule. They may have went 9-0 against Holy Name's ... though Holy Name nearly went 9-0 as it was.

Benedictine probably goes 6-4 to 8-2 against Padua's (which admittedly much tougher than Holy Name's).

But I can safely say that neither Holy Name or Padua would have went 0-10 playing Benedictine's schedule. Yes, probably anywhere between 1-9 to 3-7, but I don’t see either of those programs throwing in the towel and giving up.

Now, I'll get back to R10 talk here and not an R9 team that (even the Benny poster admitted) gave up on the year 6 weeks ago.

I think this is well put.

Yes, Benedictine would have had a much better record playing Holy Name or Padua's schedule. They may have went 9-0 against Holy Name's ... though Holy Name nearly went 9-0 as it was.

Benedictine probably goes 6-4 to 8-2 against Padua's (which admittedly much tougher than Holy Name's).

But I can safely say that neither Holy Name or Padua would have went 0-10 playing Benedictine's schedule. Yes, probably anywhere between 1-9 to 3-7, but I don’t see either of those programs throwing in the towel and giving up.

Now, I'll get back to R10 talk here and not an R9 team that (even the Benny poster admitted) gave up on the year 6 weeks ago.
I agree with this.Good Response.Good luck to all the region 10 teams,and safety to all the players.

Pasteur's picks. I think Clyde could beat Norton by more than 6, but I think these aren't a bad starting point.

Region 10 playoffs
#1 Holy Name (8-2 D3 R10) by 12 (74%) vs #8 Lutheran West (10-1 D3 R10)
#3 Clyde (8-3 D3 R10) by 6 (64%) vs #6 Norton (9-2 D3 R10)
#5 Mansfield Senior (9-2 D3 R10) by 14 (78%) vs #13 Defiance (7-4 D3 R10)
#2 Tiffin Columbian (9-2 D3 R10) by 10 (71%) vs #10 Padua Franciscan (6-5 D3 R10)
I think Clyde-Norton is factoring style of play. I can see that being a first to 20 wins type game.

I don't have an issue with Tiffin -10, but I think Padua plays it closer than that.

The other two, my guess would be similar to the Pasteur ones, but Lutheran West is such an unknown. With that, I know they have some talent just not sure how it translates Division 3 regional quarterfinal play (even if this region is "weak").

From score watching, it looks like Defiance will be pesky for Mansfield, but the Tygers are probably too much in that one. But I don't see that being a blowout.

I think Clyde-Norton is factoring style of play. I can see that being a first to 20 wins type game.

I don't have an issue with Tiffin -10, but I think Padua plays it closer than that.

The other two, my guess would be similar to the Pasteur ones, but Lutheran West is such an unknown. With that, I know they have some talent just not sure how it translates Division 3 regional quarterfinal play (even if this region is "weak").

From score watching, it looks like Defiance will be pesky for Mansfield, but the Tygers are probably too much in that one. But I don't see that being a blowout.
These all seem to be about right. If I was to differ, and it's just for the sake of keeping the discussion going, I'd:
1. Predict Holy Name to win by a lot more than 12
2. Like you, predict Padua to keep it to a one score game

Probabilities, however, go with Pasteur's in-depth analysis.

Style of play? Not sure I follow. Lightly follow Norton (saw them play this year) because they are in the Akron area but I know nothing of Clyde.

1979 was Senior 's last year as Football member of Buckeye.

To my recollection, Senior played Ashland, Madison, and Malabar to open their 70s schedule
Maple City Fan,

You are right. The Tygers started playing Mansfield Madison, Mansfield Malabar, and Ashland as non-conference opponents in the 1970s. And you are right—the last year Senior High played Buckeye Conference foes was the 1979-1980 school year. They finished the season 1-7-2.

The Mansfield-Richland County Library has digitized yearbooks from Richland County high schools, and I went through the Mansfield Senior High yearbooks from the 1960s to see their non-conference opponents after they joined the Buckeye Conference.

Here are the Tygers’ non-conference opponents.

1962-1963 school year: Warren Harding (Tie), Massillon (Loss), and Toledo Libbey (Win).

1963-1964 school year: Warren Harding (L); Cleveland Cathedral Latin (W), and Massillon (L)

1964-1965 school year: Cuyahoga Falls (L), Cleveland East (L), and Massillon (L)

1965-1966 school year: Cuyahoga Falls (L), Cleveland John Adams (W), and Massillon (L)

1966-67 school year: Cleveland East (W), Columbus West (W), and Massillon (T)

1967-68 school year: Cleveland East Tech (W), Lancaster (L), and Massillon (L)

1968-1969 school year: Cleveland East Tech (W) Mansfield Madison (W), and Massillon (L)

1969-1970 school year: Cleveland East Tech (L). Toledo Rogers (L), Mansfield Madison (W)

1970-1971 school year: Cleveland East Tech (W), Toledo Rogers (W), Mansfield Madison (T)

Not to put too much of a fine point on this, but Mansfield was never very competitive in the BC. They never won a conference crown. The Tygers were much more competitive in basketball.

Pasteur's picks. I think Clyde could beat Norton by more than 6, but I think these aren't a bad starting point.

Region 10 playoffs
#1 Holy Name (8-2 D3 R10) by 12 (74%) vs #8 Lutheran West (10-1 D3 R10)
#3 Clyde (8-3 D3 R10) by 6 (64%) vs #6 Norton (9-2 D3 R10)
#5 Mansfield Senior (9-2 D3 R10) by 14 (78%) vs #13 Defiance (7-4 D3 R10)
#2 Tiffin Columbian (9-2 D3 R10) by 10 (71%) vs #10 Padua Franciscan (6-5 D3 R10)
Holy Name over LW by a couple scores 28-14 HN has the better schedule and beating Elyria Catholic gave them the confidence they need to make a run.
Clyde over Norton 35-21 Clyde has the better schedule, but the loss to Normwayne doesnt look the best.
Senior over Defiance - 27-14. TY Tygers defense is the difference
I think Padua has a chance to take down Columbian, but I'm taking Columbian 24-21.

Any thoughts on semifinal venues which, I believe, move to neutral sites.
#6 Norton vs. #10 Padua - lots of easy options around I77 or SR21 between these two. Revere, Copley, and Brecksville seem like the best options, but I suppose Highland, NoRo, or Nordy would work.

#1 Holy Name vs. #5 Mansfield Brunswick or Medina?

Last edited:
Any thoughts on quarterfinal venues which, I believe, move to neutral sites.
#6 Norton vs. #10 Padua - lots of easy options around I77 or SR21 between these two. Revere, Copley, and Brecksville seem like the best options, but I suppose Highland, NoRo, or Nordy would work.

#1 Holy Name vs. #5 Mansfield Brunswick or Medina?
Think HN-Mansfield will be at Cloverleaf.

Padua-Norton no clue but your right should be quite a few options to work with there

Think HN-Mansfield will be at Cloverleaf.

Padua-Norton no clue but your right should be quite a few options to work with there
I have to give a shout out to Tiffin. First , to the Tiffin people who were terrific hosts. I met a bunch of Tiffin supporters while buying raffle tickets and concessions, waiting for the restroom to be swept when a toilet wouldn't shut off, and several public defenders and fans entering and exiting. Everyone was friendly and welcoming. Great venue on a beautiful night. Credit to their really good band, too....my wife specifically loved their Color Guard uniforms (sorry for the band reference, but with no sons, our band girls get us to the games).

First impression is that Tiffin is a first-class football team community and Padua was fortunate to sneak (SNEAK) away with a win. The game was in doubt for both teams and not cemented until 1:45 left with a pick by Padua as Tiffin was driving deep in Padua territory. Very even with lead changes for 60 minutes.

Also have to hand it to Tiffin's gutsy coaching on creativity victimizing Padua opening the 2nd half with an onside kick and a couple flea flickers. Padua play calling at the end left us fans scratching our heads. With 3rd and 7 on Tiffin's 34 leading 32-27, 3:00 to go, and Tiffin with no TOs left, Padua elected to throw. Fell incomplete, punted (into the end zone) which gave Tiffin the ball on its own 20 with 2:45 to go. Netted only 14 yards and 15 seconds. Gotta run the ball there and take time more off the clock on 3rd down especially with the running game working.

Two very even teams with coaching edge to Tiffin and win of the pass rush and turnover battle to Padua which were the difference.

I have to give a shout out to Tiffin. First , to the Tiffin people who were terrific hosts. I met a bunch of Tiffin supporters while buying raffle tickets and concessions, waiting for the restroom to be swept when a toilet wouldn't shut off, and several public defenders and fans entering and exiting. Everyone was friendly and welcoming. Great venue on a beautiful night. Credit to their really good band, too....my wife specifically loved their Color Guard uniforms (sorry for the band reference, but with no sons, our band girls get us to the games).

First impression is that Tiffin is a first-class football team community and Padua was fortunate to sneak (SNEAK) away with a win. The game was in doubt for both teams and not cemented until 1:45 left with a pick by Padua as Tiffin was driving deep in Padua territory. Very even with lead changes for 60 minutes.

Also have to hand it to Tiffin's gutsy coaching on creativity victimizing Padua opening the 2nd half with an onside kick and a couple flea flickers. Padua play calling at the end left us fans scratching our heads. With 3rd and 7 on Tiffin's 34 leading 32-27, 3:00 to go, and Tiffin with no TOs left, Padua elected to throw. Fell incomplete, punted (into the end zone) which gave Tiffin the ball on its own 20 with 2:45 to go. Netted only 14 yards and 15 seconds. Gotta run the ball there and take time more off the clock on 3rd down especially with the running game working.

Two very even teams with coaching edge to Tiffin and win of the pass rush and turnover battle to Padua which were the difference.
Cleveland.com game recap said Padua had 357 yards rushing. With two running backs over 100 and 3 running backs scoring. I would say that was the difference in the game.

Cleveland.com game recap said Padua had 357 yards rushing. With two running backs over 100 and 3 running backs scoring. I would say that was the difference in the game.
Fair point. I didn't realize that Padua had that much on the ground probably because at least half that was on two 70-90 yard runs, not in sustained drives. Those big plays and quick scores also kept Padua's defense on the field longer. But, to your point, the rushing yardage probably offset (or more) the 4-5 bombs that Tiffin threw and connected on.

Last edited:
Fair point. I didn't realize that Padua had that much on the ground probably because at least half that was on two 70-90 yard runs, not in sustained drives. Those big plays and quick scores also kept Padua's defense on the field longer. But, to your point, the rushing yardage probably offset (or more) the 4-5 bombs that Tiffin threw and connected on.
Per cleveland.com
34 carries. 357 yards.
two players with over 100 rushing. 3 with rushing touchdowns.
That’s over 10 yards per carry. 34 runs is a pretty high number it runs. If most of those 357 came from what you’re saying, 50+ yard runs.

Congrats to Padua.I believe they won the region last night.Watched some of the game.The Padua offense should be to much for the remaining teams in R10 to handle.Their defense gets gashed quite a bit,but should be enough to get by.

Congrats to Padua.I believe they won the region last night.Watched some of the game.The Padua offense should be to much for the remaining teams in R10 to handle.Their defense gets gashed quite a bit,but should be enough to get by.
The Norton game should be a favorable match up. But I wouldn’t say the same about the following match up against two very well coached, game opponents in either Holy Name or Mansfield. Both teams easily can derail the Padua season if they play their best games.

The Norton game should be a favorable match up. But I wouldn’t say the same about the following match up against two very well coached, game opponents in either Holy Name or Mansfield. Both teams easily can derail the Padua season if they play their best games.
Should have beat HName the 1st time.The Padua coach got to cute on offense.Should have just kept running the ball.

Defiance scored 63 in 1st round, vs Mansfield Senior, zip, zil, nada. Defense is their calling card. All 4 teams left have a chance of advancing.

Defiance scored 63 in 1st round, vs Mansfield Senior, zip, zil, nada. Defense is their calling card. All 4 teams left have a chance of advancing.
I’d say Mansfield or HN are the favorites at this point.
HN has the most experience as a team. Being this deep in the playoffs. Their squad is tested and have been here before. The lights and environment shouldn’t throw them off.

Mansfield is loaded with dudes. Talent for days. Ton of returning starters for last years playoff team. Fast and physical.

I think whoever wins on Friday, will be the favorite in representing R9 against the Hilltoppers.

After having watched Padua lose to Salem after holding a 21-0 halftime lead, Padua can't look beyond anyone and shouldn't consider Norton an easy win. That said, just looking at records and SoS, I'd pick Norton as my preferred opponent compared to HN or Mansfield. I bet Norton would say the same about Padua, too. Makes sense....this is a 6-10 matchup while HN vs. Mansfield is 1-5.

Defiance D was pretty good too for being undersized, with their offense being inefficient, and Senior having all them dudes don't you think? And they are very young! Good luck to the teams left in the region this year, Defiance will continue to make noise in this region for at least the next two years.

I was a little surprised Mansfield didn't win by more. Its offense doesn't appear to be anything great and holding Defiance scoreless or almost scoreless was nothing that the other 3 or 4 best teams on Defiance's schedule couldn't do. Mansfield's line play is pretty good but the guys with the ball went down fairly easily, from what I saw. I definitely want to see Mansfield win the region though.

They basically handed Padua home field advantage. N. Royalton is just down the road from the school. Then again, it would have literally been Holy Name’s home field if locations were flipped for the two games.

They basically handed Padua home field advantage. N. Royalton is just down the road from the school. Then again, it would have literally been Holy Name’s home field if locations were flipped for the two games.
What can you do? I think only Parma (Byers), North Royalton and Brunswick put in to host.

Holy Name can't be at North Royalton (nor is it more convenient vs. Brunswick for Mansfield anyway). Byers would have been essentially another home game for HN (and even further for Mansfield). So Brunswick made the most sense. I'm surprised Cloverleaf (closest those could get to halfway) wasn't interested in hosting that, though, especially since they hosted last year.

That left either Byers or Royalton for Padua-Norton and either way it was going to be down the street from Padua. At least Royalton is a little closer for Norton. Highland, Brecksville or Revere are the only ones that would make more sense and apparently none of them wanted to host.

What can you do? I think only Parma (Byers), North Royalton and Brunswick put in to host.

Holy Name can't be at North Royalton (nor is it more convenient vs. Brunswick for Mansfield anyway). Byers would have been essentially another home game for HN (and even further for Mansfield). So Brunswick made the most sense. I'm surprised Cloverleaf (closest those could get to halfway) wasn't interested in hosting that, though, especially since they hosted last year.

That left either Byers or Royalton for Padua-Norton and either way it was going to be down the street from Padua. At least Royalton is a little closer for Norton. Highland, Brecksville or Revere are the only ones that would make more sense and apparently none of them wanted to host.
Guessing Highland didn't want to host since their tram is playing the same night. Don't understand Brecksville or Revere not offering but there seems to be a lot of that going around. Happy to get NoRo for Padua vs. Norton. It's not a bad ride for the Norton fans. I commuted for work from NoRo to Norton for a couple of years. I do agree, though, it's a small advantage for Padua who gets a lot of students from the community.