2022 GCYL Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Varsity was crazy this year, anyone could beat anyone on any given weekend.
Agree. I don't think D2 is as deep as D1, but seems the top 3 in D2 were better than the bottom 2 or 3 in D1. The gap between D1 and D2 doesn't seem to be what it used to be 5 or 6 years ago.

Not sure how Cov Cath is any different than James, Golden Bears, or QOP programs that have 5+ Parishes feeding into one team. As posted before the League approved how Cov Cath divided their teams. I doubt there will be any changes.
I would hope that a good thorough conversation takes place in the offseason. I do think the league is good for everyone! The mergers have gotten unmanageable and I'm not talking just about the east side schools listed above. We have issues over here too that need to be dealt with for the longer term.

If there are 50 plus kids on a roster the league needs to add more programs. Maybe cap the rosters at 30?
I would cap them at 22 kids per team. If you have say 50 kids just make 2 teams either split down the middle of 25 kids each or you go the basketball way and split the teams into an A, B, or C teams. Even if you have 32 kids I would split them into teams of 16 each. 8 minute qtr just don’t allow much playing time for anyone if you are getting all those kids in the game. It also creates unsafe situations when the last 5-10 kids of a 30 kid roster is playing against a CC who has 16/17 kids and all of them are good.

If there are 50 plus kids on a roster the league needs to add more programs. Maybe cap the rosters at 30?

Agree completely. It’s strange some of these programs have gone away unless it was at the direction of the local “feeder” high school. I don’t know what else it could be. For example, why in the world did St John’s Dry Ridge scrap their program? They always had good teams and their numbers seemed to be growing. Now they play on a team of 50+ kids at St James and 3/4s of the kids never see the field. Makes no sense.

Yea the dry ridge team that would be seniors now had Schoester, Hulen, and on won titles during their time at the "D2" level or whatever they called it and were always good. Their numbers were lower than a visi, victory, james, etc , but were always good.

I just don't see how you can get the bottom half of a 50 man roster any kind of playing time? Maybe cap it at 25 kids accounting for a few injuries....

I would cap them at 22 kids per team. If you have say 50 kids just make 2 teams either split down the middle of 25 kids each or you go the basketball way and split the teams into an A, B, or C teams. Even if you have 32 kids I would split them into teams of 16 each. 8 minute qtr just don’t allow much playing time for anyone if you are getting all those kids in the game. It also creates unsafe situations when the last 5-10 kids of a 30 kid roster is playing against a CC who has 16/17 kids and all of them are good.
This would be a great approach and continue to keep the boys/late bloomers involved but this opens up another can of worms. At the end of the day, who is going to coach the "lower level" teams. From what I have witnessed over the many years of coaching multiple youth sports and watching from a distance this sport, not too many qualified dads are going to volunteer for this team. They want their kid on the perceived "top team".

Agree completely. It’s strange some of these programs have gone away unless it was at the direction of the local “feeder” high school. I don’t know what else it could be. For example, why in the world did St John’s Dry Ridge scrap their program? They always had good teams and their numbers seemed to be growing. Now they play on a team of 50+ kids at St James and 3/4s of the kids never see the field. Makes no sense.
You just wonder if it is because nobody would step up to run it. I'm aware of one seemingly healthy soccer program that was scrapped because a coordinator retired and nobody else would do it.

You just wonder if it is because nobody would step up to run it. I'm aware of one seemingly healthy soccer program that was scrapped because a coordinator retired and nobody else would do it.

Not specific to sports, but I've seen this happen in other areas, also (Boy Scouts).

Not specific to sports, but I've seen this happen in other areas, also (Boy Scouts).
Yep, it's widespread and disappointing. We just had to send an email stating (this day) will be the final practice and the season will be canceled if no parent volunteers to coach. Thankfully, it worked out this time.

This would be a great approach and continue to keep the boys/late bloomers involved but this opens up another can of worms. At the end of the day, who is going to coach the "lower level" teams. From what I have witnessed over the many years of coaching multiple youth sports and watching from a distance this sport, not too many qualified dads are going to volunteer for this team. They want their kid on the perceived "top team".
It would be the same as basketball, you can find Coaches. You would only need 3 instead of the 8/9 I see on the sidelines every week anyway.

It’s possible but I find it hard to believe that would be the case, especially for football and at a program like St John’s. Every program I’ve been around they’ve had to turn people away who wanted to coach. Granted a lot were players parents which can cause their own issues.

Agree. I don't think D2 is as deep as D1, but seems the top 3 in D2 were better than the bottom 2 or 3 in D1. The gap between D1 and D2 doesn't seem to be what it used to be 5 or 6 years ago.
This year SMOY was the only team who played up. They went 7-0 in D2 and beat Victory and Guardian Angels/IHM in the playoffs as well as St Michael in the regular season.

The 2nd Place team D2 was Susanna, but they chose not to challenge up. They played Victory in the regular season and lost by 3-4 scores.

Lourdes and Ignatius, the two bottom teams in D1 were not very good football teams. They were the only two who "played down" and it doesn't surprise me that they were bounced early in the D2 Playoffs.

Good luck to Cov Cath going for the Visi Sweep this weekend.

The league will need to look into how these teams are being broken out and the current mergers. It is putting some programs at a huge disadvantage for example St I is merged with no other school/parish while St James down the street is merged with 15+ parishes. The same could be said about St A who is only merged with St Teresa while the St A parish families are with a completely different program which may be changing next year. It is good to see Cov Cath fielding quality teams and I understand the league told them how to break out their teams but they are pulling from more parishes then St James which is a problem when you are "trying" to have a balanced league.

Good luck to Cov Cath going for the Visi Sweep this weekend.

The league will need to look into how these teams are being broken out and the current mergers. It is putting some programs at a huge disadvantage for example St I is merged with no other school/parish while St James down the street is merged with 15+ parishes. The same could be said about St A who is only merged with St Teresa while the St A parish families are with a completely different program which may be changing next year. It is good to see Cov Cath fielding quality teams and I understand the league told them how to break out their teams but they are pulling from more parishes then St James which is a problem when you are "trying" to have a balanced league.
Not sure what the Visi sweep means either. There are no Visi teams left in the playoffs at any level.

Not sure what the Visi sweep means either. There are no Visi teams left in the playoffs at any level.
When your Pony, Reserve and Varsity all win the D1 championship. Not many people outside of Visi would know what that is but Cov Cath has a chance.

This year SMOY was the only team who played up. They went 7-0 in D2 and beat Victory and Guardian Angels/IHM in the playoffs as well as St Michael in the regular season.

The 2nd Place team D2 was Susanna, but they chose not to challenge up. They played Victory in the regular season and lost by 3-4 scores.

Lourdes and Ignatius, the two bottom teams in D1 were not very good football teams. They were the only two who "played down" and it doesn't surprise me that they were bounced early in the D2 Playoffs.
And Smoy has over 50 kids on their varsity team so they should be up.

What I recall for STJR was that the coordinator didnt open up up registrations in time for the families to sign up and the league had no choice at the time but to send those kids to James for that season and was voted to keep it permanant the following season adding another school to a mix of already 5 or 6 schools with James(?) Ignatius wasnt considered maybe due to location. I am not sure why. They used to field a reserve and pony team back when they had a team if I recall. When Ben was there they were really good.

Yes they do for sure. Won a lot at al three levels back in the WFC. I am not sure if Visi did it or not.
How long has that been? The late 90's?

I am sure Victory had the same run at some point in its football history!

I am going out on a limb here but probably a very strong correlation between sports success and student enrollment

What I recall for STJR was that the coordinator didnt open up up registrations in time for the families to sign up and the league had no choice at the time but to send those kids to James for that season and was voted to keep it permanant the following season adding another school to a mix of already 5 or 6 schools with James(?) Ignatius wasnt considered maybe due to location. I am not sure why. They used to field a reserve and pony team back when they had a team if I recall. When Ben was there they were really good.

Man talk about dropping the ball. They had a nice program and solid numbers. Their current 7th grade was always really solid in football.

I am going out on a limb here but probably a very strong correlation between sports success and student enrollment
Dominic was insane in the late 80s early 90s. They had to have gone several years in a row back around that time without losing a game on any level. That’s when they had well over 1000 kids.

It was only the WFC at the time but it started in the early 80's and ended in the 90's.

Quite a few years when they won the 4th, 6th, and 8th grade championships. 6th grade won the championship 7 or 8 times during a 10 year run.

Victory never had a run even close to what St Dominic had.

Dominic was insane in the late 80s early 90s. They had to have gone several years in a row back around that time without losing a game on any level. That’s when they had well over 1000 kids.
Very good coaches at st. D back then. Major dudes who knew how to coach with talent at each grade level.

Status
Not open for further replies.