2022 St. Edward Football

I feel like this team is always big with some athletes. Last year's game was closer than the score and not the typical blowout by any means.

Yes, Football North will typically have a number of FBS prospects and pretty sizeable players in the trenches. Coaching and execution, rather than talent level, is typically what separates them from the stateside teams they play.

Eagles played a solid Canada North team... outside of Cherry Creek, most likely the largest OL and DL they will face all season. Moeller's lines will pose a different challenge next week.

This team needs to clean up the turnovers and giving up the big plays on D. The onside kicks allowed the young men to to experience "in real time" what these game situations will be come playoff time.

Lombardo and his staff deliberately put these young men in game situations in which they are tested. Come week 11, they want the squad to feel comfortable in almost any environment that they might be confronted with to earn a victory. Weeks 9 (Moeller) and 10 (Hoban) afford them additional opportunities to learn.

I do like their ongoing ability to establish the running game. This O line is becoming very good, especially as the game matures into the 3Q and 4Q.

Go Eagles!

Last edited:
Closing with the two best teams in Ohio is interesting. Eagles can lose the next two weeks and still I could see them winning the title.

Eagles played a solid Canada North team... outside of Cherry Creek, most likely the largest OL and DL they will face all season. Moeller's lines will pose a different challenge next week.

This team needs to clean up the turnovers and giving up the big plays on D. The onside kicks allowed the young men to to experience "in real time" what these game situations will be come playoff time.

Lombardo and his staff deliberately put these young men in game situations in which they are tested. Come week 11, they want the squad to feel comfortable in almost any environment that they might be confronted with to earn a victory. Weeks 9 (Moeller) and 10 (Hoban) afford them additional opportunities to learn.

I do like their ongoing ability to establish the running game. This O line is becoming very good, especially as the game matures into the 3Q and 4Q.

Go Eagles!
Makes me nervous that they are still giving up the big plays this late in the season. Moeller has two of the biggest home run hitters in the state in Marshall and Bryant. Not feeling confident heading down to Cincinnati.

I think it was a very good win. We tend to dismiss the Canada teams, but that was a good one.
Football North only playes American football. They've been doing that for a while now. I think that's the biggest reason they can compete with Ohio teams

Makes me nervous that they are still giving up the big plays this late in the season. Moeller has two of the biggest home run hitters in the state in Marshall and Bryant. Not feeling confident heading down to Cincinnati.
I can't tell if Moeller wasn't showing anything against Ignatius or if Ignatius played them well. I "watched" it after watching the Guardians marathon of boredom. Ignatius was moving the ball a bit, but it seemed like travelling had an effect on Moe.

I agree though. I'm worried about the next two weeks. While we can justify losses as good for the long term (if we didn't lose to Moeller last year I don't think we would've won the title, but that's for another post). Losing 2 in a row going into the playoffs is a recipe for disaster, and that is entirely possible at this point.

I can't tell if Moeller wasn't showing anything against Ignatius or if Ignatius played them well. I "watched" it after watching the Guardians marathon of boredom. Ignatius was moving the ball a bit, but it seemed like travelling had an effect on Moe.

I agree though. I'm worried about the next two weeks. While we can justify losses as good for the long term (if we didn't lose to Moeller last year I don't think we would've won the title, but that's for another post). Losing 2 in a row going into the playoffs is a recipe for disaster, and that is entirely possible at this point.
Moe plays like they did against Iggy, and you guys will smack them. They are very beatable. They make mistakes against Ed and they will suffer their first loss. I think Iggy played them pretty tough. They had some opportunities on some turnovers, and didn't respond. Against Ed. that will cost them. Look for a good game.

Moe plays like they did against Iggy, and you guys will smack them. They are very beatable. They make mistakes against Ed and they will suffer their first loss. I think Iggy played them pretty tough. They had some opportunities on some turnovers, and didn't respond. Against Ed. that will cost them. Look for a good game.
Saw many Moe games this year. They were very basic in this game. Both teams will have their hands full. Should be a good game.

First our game. Canada North was big and it is unfortunate to see us struggle in the passing game. That being said, there was a pretty stiff wind all night and from my recollection most of our drives were going into it. I'm worried about our pass defense, Canada missed on a couple that had receivers open and hit on at least one. Their touchdown pass was a great catch over decent coverage though. The Eagles on offense has a strength in the running game, was a little surprised to see Bullock struggle to break one but Bell and Gribble continue to get chunk runs and between them and the O-line they wear down opponents.

Moeller is good but beatable. Travel 4 hours is always difficult for a high school team but Ed's certainly has the tools to win. Next Saturday's game will be one many will want to see.

Preview of D1 final

Good road win for the Eagles. A very physical football game. Eagles need efficient, not great QB play to contend for a title. O continues to demonstrate that they can run the ball well, especially late. D continues to shore up the back and can get from sideline to sideline as well as any team. Hoban's running game will be a new challenge for this D.

Go Eagles!

I thought the defense played extremely well yesterday. Overpowered Moeller's line and strung out anything wide. I felt the commentators kept calling Nate Gregory's name as he was constantly making plays. Three turnovers were big in keeping Moeller off their game. The offense did not capitalize enough on these. I felt we ran the ball effectively but when you get into the redzone we need to score 6, especially late in the game. I feel they would have on the bogus fumble but oh well, they called it the way that they did. We also fumbled and recovered it late, that continues a worrying trend as we try to salt away games.

Good road win for the Eagles. A very physical football game. Eagles need efficient, not great QB play to contend for a title. O continues to demonstrate that they can run the ball well, especially late. D continues to shore up the back and can get from sideline to sideline as well as any team. Hoban's running game will be a new challenge for this D.

Go Eagles!
How do you think Eds will approach the Hoban game, coming off a slugfest like that and having clinched the #1 seed? Hoban doesn't need the game either, and I'm sure both just want to come out of it healthy.

I think both teams want this one badly. No one wants a loss the week before the playoffs start so I expect all hands on deck. Best of luck to both teams and fan bases.

How do you think Eds will approach the Hoban game, coming off a slugfest like that and having clinched the #1 seed? Hoban doesn't need the game either, and I'm sure both just want to come out of it healthy.
Last year, the score of St Edward's first four playoff games was a combined 188-20. The starters should have plenty of rest coming soon.

I think this staff and team want the win and the momentum going into week 11.

Go Eagles!

I think this game will be vanilla. neither team will want to show anything into playoffs. Hope Hoban wins, but the Eagles obviously are very good. The kids will want to win very much on both sides, but I think both head coaches will be thinking down the road.

I'm no HC, but I'd be looking to play some depth where I could and get to week 11 as healthy as possible. I don't think losing to a high level team on the other side is going to quell any momentum, both of these teams are going to have walk overs in their first playoff game.

I think this game will be vanilla. neither team will want to show anything into playoffs. Hope Hoban wins, but the Eagles obviously are very good. The kids will want to win very much on both sides, but I think both head coaches will be thinking down the road.
Ed’s doesn’t really have anything other than vanilla to bring to the table. Ditto Hoban. They are two teams that are going to run the ball and play defense. Whichever team imposes their will more will win.

They did bring a trick punt out and I have seen Lombardo go to trick plays in multiple games when needed. I like his approach.

Last year, the score of St Edward's first four playoff games was a combined 188-20. The starters should have plenty of rest coming soon.
Agreed. I don't see the Eagles approaching the Hoban game with their foot off the gas. They are playing some good football right now, but far from perfect. Red zone execution will be a point of emphasis this week. 4 trips against Moeller and only 6 points to speak for it is not how they want to operate down there.

Ed’s doesn’t really have anything other than vanilla to bring to the table. Ditto Hoban. They are two teams that are going to run the ball and play defense. Whichever team imposes their will more will win.
I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Hoban throw the ball quite a bit on Friday. They've been trying to keep Sperling's carries manageable and be more balanced, which they've done for the most part, and this could be a nice opportunity to let that passing game have an even more expansive role.

Too bad Eagles ended up losing to Massillon, by my count a win over Hoban and a 10-0 season might have give the Eagles 50+ computer points. Not sure that has happened before.

I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Hoban throw the ball quite a bit on Friday. They've been trying to keep Sperling's carries manageable and be more balanced, which they've done for the most part, and this could be a nice opportunity to let that passing game have an even more expansive role.
As a St Edward fan I hope that happens. We need more experience on stopping the pass. Not a negative on Hoban. They're clearly great, but win or lose, St Edward needs to get prepared for a D1 run. Pass D will be important against teams like Medina in the R1 playoffs.