2022 St. Edward Football

Apples and oranges. For awhile only 4 teams made it to the playoffs in the whole state for a division! Then only 4 teams in a region, then 8 teams starting around 2000. If the 8 team format were in place the whole time, Ed's would have had plenty of teams make the playoffs that didn't. For the record, I'm happy that there's another public school state power, especially if Mentor continues to figure it out. I miss the days of Warren Harding and McKinley challenging for states and having a ton of people see them play us or Ignatius in the playoffs.
In the first 14 years of the playoffs, the number of qualifiers per region was as follows:
1972-1979 = 1
1980-1984 = 2
1985 = 4

If there had been 8 qualifiers per region during that period, the Eagles would have been in the playoffs 11 of those 14 years, instead of four.

Last edited:
Apples and oranges. For awhile only 4 teams made it to the playoffs in the whole state for a division! Then only 4 teams in a region, then 8 teams starting around 2000. If the 8 team format were in place the whole time, Ed's would have had plenty of teams make the playoffs that didn't. For the record, I'm happy that there's another public school state power, especially if Mentor continues to figure it out. I miss the days of Warren Harding and McKinley challenging for states and having a ton of people see them play us or Ignatius in the playoffs.
Translation- you miss the days before SHS's rise to power. Thank you for that. It means alot ...

Last edited:
Tigers played well on Friday evening, especially their So. quarterback. Can't blame the loss on turnovers... Tigers had their share as well. Far too many missed opportunities on O. D has issues up the middle. Strong DT play in 2021 allowed DE's to be at their best last year. Back 4 or 5 need work... playing the man won't get you an opportunity to make a play on the ball when it's in the air.

This loss should allow the Eagles to recalibrate and make the adjustments that could be critical during the post season.

Go Eagles!

Tigers played well on Friday evening, especially their So. quarterback. Can't blame the loss on turnovers... Tigers had their share as well. Far too many missed opportunities on O. D has issues up the middle. Strong DT play in 2021 allowed DE's to be at their best last year. Back 4 or 5 need work... playing the man won't get you an opportunity to make a play on the ball when it's in the air.

This loss should allow the Eagles to recalibrate and make the adjustments that could be critical during the post season.

Go Eagles!
Yes, have to have DT’s that plug and hold up at the point of attack when you are only playing two linebackers. Regovich is adjusting to the position after playing outside the past two years, but has had some promising moments. King just seems too small to me. Haas is barely 200 as well.

What's interesting about ancient history that has nothing to do with SHS's program? News flash. Douglass isn't at Trotwood anymore. There have been zero infractions at SHS. Fact.
Just interesting. That’s all
Sorry if you are sensitive to history
I mean it is what it is. Look it up

Hard to think we've hit the mid-way point of this season with September not even in the books, but here we are. Lot of work to do these next five weeks to get where they want to be. Glaring weaknesses at this point are the secondary and consistency in the passing game. Problem I'm seeing from the DB's is getting out of their backpedals too late. They aren't flipping their hips and turning to run until the receiver is right on top of them. By that point it's too late and they are a step or two behind. And when you are playing catch-up you aren't getting your head around to locate the football, resulting in the PI calls we saw multiple times against Massillon. We have good athletes back there, but they need coached up on technique.

Offensively we simply need better QB play. Sehs95's theory on junior first-year starting QB's seems to be holding true. Can't be missing wide open guys for TD's like we saw on Friday (underthrowing Mason once when he got behind the secondary and then overthrowing a wide open Bell for an easy six inside the 10). We also need to do a better job of scheming Mason open out of the slot. The end-around is becoming too predictable and the better teams are just stringing it out. Why aren't we seeing him come across the defense on shallow drag routes, slip screens, etc.? I complain about this every year, but we don't work the short middle of the field enough.

Ed's has the athletes for sure. I can't explain how Massillon neutralized the line's of scrimmage????
All the things the previous poster stated are fixable. Maybe they overlooked Massillon, or maybe they just had a bad game. Either way, this coach will get things on track and they will be in the hunt come November.

Ed's has the athletes for sure. I can't explain how Massillon neutralized the line's of scrimmage????
All the things the previous poster stated are fixable. Maybe they overlooked Massillon, or maybe they just had a bad game. Either way, this coach will get things on track and they will be in the hunt come November.
I think it was fatigue after the Elder game which was just 6 days earlier. And, playing a good team in a hostile environment who was gunning for them. This happens when you play a meat grinder schedule every week.

Well, we certainly ran the ball well enough offensively to the tune of 251 yards (just above our season average of 240/gm). But Massillon did do a great job of neutralizing the D line and the impact of Kilbane and Gedeon. They did it by attacking the middle of the field in the run game and getting rid of the ball pretty quickly in the pass game. The weaknesses of the Ed's defense are up the middle and in the secondary. Massillon game-planned very effectively. Even on the deep passes Slaughter wasn't holding the ball long. He saw the match-ups he wanted and threw his guys open. If your coaching staff can get him to play every game the way he does when he plays us then you'll be in very good shape.

See post #315.🐅

For sure the coaching staff did not overlook Massillon. This may be a good thing for the players. You win close games and lose a close game. This will knock the kids down a few pegs. But should make them very hungry. This is a tough schedule for the second half. This team has yet to put a complete game together. When they do they can be very dangerous.

Hard to think we've hit the mid-way point of this season with September not even in the books, but here we are. Lot of work to do these next five weeks to get where they want to be. Glaring weaknesses at this point are the secondary and consistency in the passing game. Problem I'm seeing from the DB's is getting out of their backpedals too late. They aren't flipping their hips and turning to run until the receiver is right on top of them. By that point it's too late and they are a step or two behind. And when you are playing catch-up you aren't getting your head around to locate the football, resulting in the PI calls we saw multiple times against Massillon. We have good athletes back there, but they need coached up on technique.

Offensively we simply need better QB play. Sehs95's theory on junior first-year starting QB's seems to be holding true. Can't be missing wide open guys for TD's like we saw on Friday (underthrowing Mason once when he got behind the secondary and then overthrowing a wide open Bell for an easy six inside the 10). We also need to do a better job of scheming Mason open out of the slot. The end-around is becoming too predictable and the better teams are just stringing it out. Why aren't we seeing him come across the defense on shallow drag routes, slip screens, etc.? I complain about this every year, but we don't work the short middle of the field enough.
Thanks for the scouting report. I will pass it on. Cincinnati is really looking forward to your visit next month. We will certainly learn a few things from the broadcast and our own experience with having already played the Tigers. Looking forward to seeing A. Mendoza :) GBM

Good solid win Saturday. With games like that, you always want to play clean and emerge injury free, it seems the Eagles did both. Rock Creek is not a very good opponent but they had talent, their qb was mobile and their wide receivers made some great plays on the ball. This week we know who we play and it will be a great measuring stick I think to see how mature this team is becoming. St. Ignatius should force us to work and earn a win. I know a lot of people will say on paper St. Ed's looks a lot better but I don't think this team has performed as well as they can and with this possibly being Chuck Kyle's last game against us, I think the Wildcats will be ready with some extra energy.

What's the deal with the athletic website this year? No updated results for the freshman games. No freshman or JV rosters. I also don't understand the use of the google doc spreadsheets for listing game results. Whole thing seems a bit clunky and disorganized.

Coach Flan and Tim Smith sit down with Lombardo before the big game.

Good solid win Saturday. With games like that, you always want to play clean and emerge injury free, it seems the Eagles did both. Rock Creek is not a very good opponent but they had talent, their qb was mobile and their wide receivers made some great plays on the ball. This week we know who we play and it will be a great measuring stick I think to see how mature this team is becoming. St. Ignatius should force us to work and earn a win. I know a lot of people will say on paper St. Ed's looks a lot better but I don't think this team has performed as well as they can and with this possibly being Chuck Kyle's last game against us, I think the Wildcats will be ready with some extra energy.
QB play by the Eagles on Saturday night will be the key to the game. If Bullock can keep Iggy's D off balance with his legs and arm, their chances of securing a victory increase exponentially.

I expect the D to play well and employ a few wrinkles for Iggy's O... even if it's Kyle's final season. The outcome Saturday evening is important to the momentum of this team.

Go Eagles!

I was pleasantly surprised by the way we played yesterday. That was an absolute beat down physically and it seemed like a game where we had everything working. The only two mistakes I can think of was the tip drill pick on the first drive and a tough roughing the kicker penalty. I had a hard time seeing if it was just a poor punt or if our guy got a piece of it. In the end, none of it mattered because the defense and offense dominated the Wildcats. We did not have to throw a ton but we hit on our passes when we had to, usually for some backbreaking touchdowns. Very interested to see how the next three weeks go. Football North usually has some size and athleticism. Moeller is enough said. Hoban will be a test as well but if we play like we did last night, I believe the Eagles are up for all of those games.

It sounds weird to say that 6 of 8 passing for 77 yards was the best aerial performance for Bullock and the Eagles this year, but efficiency in the pass game (75% completion percentage) and capitalizing on the limited attempts (50% of completions going for TD's) has been the hallmark of these Lombardo teams. We weren't seeing that through the first 6 weeks, but no better time to put it all together than against your archrival. If we can get more of that moving forward in the next three weeks then I'll feel very good about a return trip to Canton.

It sounds weird to say that 6 of 8 passing for 77 yards was the best aerial performance for Bullock and the Eagles this year, but efficiency in the pass game (75% completion percentage) and capitalizing on the limited attempts (50% of completions going for TD's) has been the hallmark of these Lombardo teams. We weren't seeing that through the first 6 weeks, but no better time to put it all together than against your archrival. If we can get more of that moving forward in the next three weeks then I'll feel very good about a return trip to Canton.

just like the wrestling program I think Lombardo has figured out how to peak at the right time of the year.

We’re young all around but all these tight games means a lot and last night might have been the team kicking into high gear.

let’s hope everyone stays healthy and we keep it rolling.

Eagles get good QB and DT play against the Cats. Should they find consistency at these two positions through the balance of the season, they will contend.

Go Eagles!