Week 9: Elder (6-2) vs. Indianapolis Chatard (5-3)

ElderHSfan02

Elder returns to the PIT Friday night to face another tough Indy team Bishop Chatard. Chatard lost to Roncalli 17-14 earlier this year is the only common opponent. Chatard is a D4 equivalent in Ohio. The harbin points won't be as big, but 1 more win SHOULD/will clinch a top 4 playoff seeding. Finishing top 4 will get Elder 2 first round home playoff games. The top 4 seed will also get Elder an easier first round game.

Elder 35
Chatard 14

Chatard usually comes to play vs Elder. Elder should win, but they better not let up after the big win last week.

Does Elder have a real chance to win State? They were great vs. X, but struggled with Moeller? Great win on the road last week.

Does Elder have a real chance to win State? They were great vs. X, but struggled with Moeller? Great win on the road last week.
Sure they do. Upsets happen all the time in the playoffs.

They could upset someone, or someone could upset a team that's better than them (Moe, LW). Whoever makes it out of Region 4 can absolutely win state. It will be a tall task but with seeding luck and a couple upsets, sure they can.

Moe and LW are better teams, but it's possible.

Last edited:
It’s not impossible but it’s clear Moeller is a better team. I’d also say West is a better team, but the margin is smaller when compared to Moeller.

Everyone is way ahead of things. Remember Chatard lost to Roncalli 17-14 when Roncalli recovered a fumble at midfield with a minute to go and kicked a field goal with 8 seconds left. This is #1 team in Indiana D4. If we don’t pay attention and win this game we probably will not get two home playoff games. Elder needs a lot of help to be in State Champ talk and anything less than a win Friday will be devastating.
Then the next week is LaSalles super bowl at Elder. They probably don’t make the playoffs unless they beat Elder. These next two games are trap games.

Everyone is way ahead of things. Remember Chatard lost to Roncalli 17-14 when Roncalli recovered a fumble at midfield with a minute to go and kicked a field goal with 8 seconds left. This is #1 team in Indiana D4. If we don’t pay attention and win this game we probably will not get two home playoff games. Elder needs a lot of help to be in State Champ talk and anything less than a win Friday will be devastating.
Then the next week is LaSalles super bowl at Elder. They probably don’t make the playoffs unless they beat Elder. These next two games are trap games.
Good point.

One thing stands out immediately in watching the Chatard v Roncalli game, Chatard’s OL is very small. It looks like they’ve got LBs playing OL. That’s a matchup that should heavily favor Elder.

The Chatard QB is a very good passer. I could’ve sworn in the past they were a Veer/Option team, but that’s no longer the case. They can throw the ball, which is going to be a challenge for Elder.

Last edited:
Im going to go out in somewhat of a limb and say Chatard’s QB is the best QB Elder will have seen this season.

Sorry - I’m wrong. He did that last year in October in Columbus
Sorry again. I’m completely out of touch. The kid that was 20 for 20 last year graduated. The kid that Omar is talking about-Drew Van Vleet- is a senior transfer who played for Richmond Indiana the past two seasons. I guess Chatard was very fortunate to get such a transfer land in their lap. 🤔

Sorry again. I’m completely out of touch. The kid that was 20 for 20 last year graduated. The kid that Omar is talking about-Drew Van Vleet- is a senior transfer who played for Richmond Indiana the past two seasons. I guess Chatard was very fortunate to get such a transfer land in their lap. 🤔
Regardless, that kid has an arm. The 1st TD he threw vs Roncalli was an absolute beautiful pass on a straight Go route down the sideline.

Chatard has 3 losses, but there all to teams that would be ranked in the top 60 nationally by Max Preps (Roncali, Cathedral, St Louis Christian Bros)

Roncalli is not a top 60 team in the nation. Yes, their line and running back are very good, but they would get killed by a team like Moeller or LW.

Stop trying to "prove" this will be a very tough game, just in case they lose. There's no excuse for Elder not to take care of business on Friday. None.

Roncalli is not a top 60 team in the nation. Yes, their line and running back are very good, but they would get killed by a team like Moeller or LW.

Stop trying to "prove" this will be a very tough game, just in case they lose. There's no excuse for Elder not to take care of business on Friday. None.

I don't think you can say for certain Roncalli would get killed by Moeller or LW. That's hypothetical. Teams match up differently with each other. I can list quite a few examples this year of Team A beating Team B. Team B beating team C. Team C beating Team A. Injuries, matchups, home/away, scouting, game plan all come into play. It's just too blanket to write a good Roncalli team off against the other best in Ohio. Any time you have a team with a strong offensive line and good RB and well coached, they should be in most games.

I haven't found much on Chatard.

Sectional 28
Bishop Chatard (7-5):
Sixth-year coach Rob Doyle has a talented and deep roster, but will be counting on several first-year starters. Senior quarterback Drew Van Vleet was a two-year starter at Richmond and will have a couple of experienced tight ends in seniors Jeff Waugh (20 catches, 229 yards) and Wade McCallister (10 catches, 104 yards) and up front with junior center Matthew Woods and senior tackles Danny Woodcock and Trystan Aspeslet. Juniors Luke Purichia and Riley Kinnett are two options at running back. On defense, senior lineman Isaac Fischer is a two-year starter and seniors Jakob Moore and Aspeslet also have experience. Purichia and McCallister are returning at linebacker and senior strong safety Jack Feeney was a starter last season.

I don't think you can say for certain Roncalli would get killed by Moeller or LW. That's hypothetical. Teams match up differently with each other. I can list quite a few examples this year of Team A beating Team B. Team B beating team C. Team C beating Team A. Injuries, matchups, home/away, scouting, game plan all come into play. It's just too blanket to write a good Roncalli team off against the other best in Ohio. Any time you have a team with a strong offensive line and good RB and well coached, they should be in most games.
None of us here play or coach in the game, so us over-looking an opponent is meaningless.

I'm changing my prediction to Elder 35 Chatard 28
Elder's secondary has been banged up as of late. Elder will have a tough time stopping Chatard offense.

Roncalli was ranked 30th in the country. And for Moeller clearly being the best team in Ohio, they didn’t play well up in Cleveland vs a mediocre Ignatius team. Lakota West should’ve lost to X and went to double OT vs Fairfield.

Trey wants to discredit Elder at every turn, but that win over Roncalli, on the road, is super impressive, no matter how the rest of the yr plays out.

Roncalli was ranked 30th in the country. And for Moeller clearly being the best team in Ohio, they didn’t play well up in Cleveland vs a mediocre Ignatius team. Lakota West should’ve lost to X and went to double OT vs Fairfield.

Trey wants to discredit Elder at every turn, but that win over Roncalli, on the road, is super impressive, no matter how the rest of the yr plays out.

Agreed. It was a huge win against a very good team. Could Moeller blow out Roncalli like they did Elder? Maybe. I think it's more likely Roncalli would give Moeller a good game. I believe they have a common opponent in East Central coming up.

Agreed. It was a huge win against a very good team. Could Moeller blow out Roncalli like they did Elder? Maybe. I think it's more likely Roncalli would give Moeller a good game. I believe they have a common opponent in East Central coming up.
It’s such a slap in the face to Elder to downplay that win. Roncalli probably doesn’t lose again the rest of the year and my guess is they finish right on the border of the national top 25.

If elder wins the next two games and moeller loses is there a possibility that elder could be the 1 seed? Based on schedule