2022 GCYL Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a tremendous advantage when you're 12-14 years old. Not so much when you're 18-22. Which was my point when everyone was saying these kids were the next coming of the 85 Bears. This was also true for the other "crowned" class - alot of kids on the old side that dominated grade school. Kids that had good high school careers, but you knew that domination wouldn't continue when the playing field was equal.

As I have said previously, Elder's 2018 led by Bittner had a great season. They did screw up by losing to Moeller in regular season and not winning GCL outright. They did avenge that loss with a 35-0 blowout against Moeller in round 1. If Bittner doesn't get hurt in round 2 against Lakota East, they would have had a much better chance against Colerain in the regional finals.

Bittner was voted player of the year in the GCL by the coaches. If people were talking him up prior to high school, then they were actually on the side of being correct. What more do you want? #1 pick in NFL coming out of HS?

As I have said previously, Elder's 2018 led by Bittner had a great season. They did screw up by losing to Moeller in regular season and not winning GCL outright. They did avenge that loss with a 35-0 blowout against Moeller in round 1. If Bittner doesn't get hurt in round 2 against Lakota East, they would have had a much better chance against Colerain in the regional finals.

Bittner was voted player of the year in the GCL by the coaches. If people were talking him up prior to high school, then they were actually on the side of being correct. What more do you want? #1 pick in NFL coming out of HS?
What is people's fascination with trying to write the script that I'm saying Bittner wasn't a good player? Factually, I have never said that - ever. In fact, I've said the opposite.

I in fact said multiple times he was one of the best on the team. My beef was the pedestal him and his classmates were put on coming in the door ("state champs", "several D1 players") - and not really coming close to living up to those expectations in any sport. It's never been about the kids - it's about the goofballs who crown these kids when they're in 7th grade. In fact, it does a huge disservice to the kids. Don't do that - maybe people will actually understand my point now that I've said it 7,000 times.

Rinse and repeat for the 2022 class.

The opposite is also true. If it's a class that hasn't put up multiple GCYL championships, people dog them coming in the door ("worst class in a long time", "wait until basketball, they might be the worst team ever") - that is equally as stupid. They go 2-6 as freshman, and the world is ending. Stop doing that too. You literally don't know what you got until these kids get a couple years of growth, development, and training, because the varsity level is the great equalizer.

Last edited:
Not really - just speaking the truth. It's my mission to call out the consistent BS spewed in this thread, led by the ringleader of being wrong - pboy. Literally everything he says the opposite happens.

I like 90% of Elder people. But damn, those other 10% that play the holier than thou card about "recruiting" and "cheating", and the entitled groups that are sitting in the background setting up things for them and theirs - needs to be called out.
My question is, though: why aren't you on the X and Moe threads doing this type of thing? The grudge only seems to be with Elder, but I can promise you that similar rumblings and happenings go on at those schools.

And I still don't get the "entitled groups that are sitting in the background setting up things for them and theirs" thing. Kids absolutely are not getting playing time based on their name. In some cases, it just so happens that their brothers or dads were also good athletes and, ya know, genetics did it's thing. Awhile ago, I'll admit, I thought maybe Ramsey's kids were getting early varsity playing time because of their name, but then it turned out that they were actually really, really good and deserved it, as evidenced by their playing, and getting interest from, D1 schools. I think all of Elder's teams and coaches are too proud and hell-bent on winning to make sure their buddys' kids are getting playing time.

I'm an Elder grad, but I'm one of 2 Elder grads in my entire family's history, mom and dad's side, so to say I was an "insider" or from an "entitled group" would be very far from the truth. I can tell you that, in my time there, it never seemed like certain families were getting preferential treatment and the guys getting playing time were just the best players at whatever position or sport it was and were the players who gave that specific team the best chance to win.

What is people's fascination with trying to write the script that I'm saying Bittner wasn't a good player? Factually, I have never said that - ever. In fact, I've said the opposite.

I in fact said multiple times he was one of the best on the team. My beef was the pedestal him and his classmates were put on coming in the door ("state champs", "several D1 players") - and not really coming close to living up to those expectations in any sport. It's never been about the kids - it's about the goofballs who crown these kids when they're in 7th grade. In fact, it does a huge disservice to the kids. Don't do that - maybe people will actually understand my point now that I've said it 7,000 times.

Rinse and repeat for the 2022 class.

The opposite is also true. If it's a class that hasn't put up multiple GCYL championships, people dog them coming in the door ("worst class in a long time", "wait until basketball, they might be the worst team ever") - that is equally as stupid. They go 2-6 as freshman, and the world is ending. Stop doing that too. You literally don't know what you got until these kids get a couple years of growth, development, and training, because the varsity level is the great equalizer.

Great whatever. Maybe the thread can get back to the grade schools and not your soapbox.

My question is, though: why aren't you on the X and Moe threads doing this type of thing? The grudge only seems to be with Elder, but I can promise you that similar rumblings and happenings go on at those schools.

And I still don't get the "entitled groups that are sitting in the background setting up things for them and theirs" thing. Kids absolutely are not getting playing time based on their name. In some cases, it just so happens that their brothers or dads were also good athletes and, ya know, genetics did it's thing. Awhile ago, I'll admit, I thought maybe Ramsey's kids were getting early varsity playing time because of their name, but then it turned out that they were actually really, really good and deserved it, as evidenced by their playing, and getting interest from, D1 schools. I think all of Elder's teams and coaches are too proud and hell-bent on winning to make sure their buddys' kids are getting playing time.

I'm an Elder grad, but I'm one of 2 Elder grads in my entire family's history, mom and dad's side, so to say I was an "insider" or from an "entitled group" would be very far from the truth. I can tell you that, in my time there, it never seemed like certain families were getting preferential treatment and the guys getting playing time were just the best players at whatever position or sport it was and were the players who gave that specific team the best chance to win.
I don't do this with X or Moe because there's a BIG difference - they recruit city-wide, feeder and non-feeder. They don't care - they send out as broad of a recruiting trail as they can. Then whoever makes the cut, makes the cut. That's the way it should be.

Elder doesn't do that. And it's my belief they don't do it, when the entire city has been doing it for over a decade, because they want to preserve the opportunity for the westside Catholic kids. And to even add more depth, there's a layer within the westside Catholic kids that get even more opportunity based on legacy parents and social relationships.

I never said coaches play kids that aren't as good because of legacy. I said those kids have more opportunity, and the city knows it.

Last edited:
Great whatever. Maybe the thread can get back to the grade schools and not your soapbox.
This is pertinent to grade school - and I'd stop responding if you actually stopped attributing things to me I never said. And acknowledge that what I'm saying (what I'm actually saying, not how people respond to it) has some truth to it. You can't do it.

This is pertinent to grade school - and I'd stop responding if you actually stopped attributing things to me I never said. And acknowledge that what I'm saying (what I'm actually saying, not how people respond to it) has some truth to it. You can't do it.

Thread topic is 2022 GCYL.

They would have still lost that game by multiple scores. That Colerain team was really, really good. Probably should have won state.

I heard Cov Cath will be banned from the league as early as next year. Supposedly the GCYL Coaches and orgs are fed up with them drawing from everywhere in NKY and being able to form 1 team. It would be about the equivalent of Jude Visi Victory Lourdes and Antoninus taking the top players from each school and forming a super team and playing in the league.

I heard Cov Cath will be banned from the league as early as next year. Supposedly the GCYL Coaches and orgs are fed up with them drawing from everywhere in NKY and being able to form 1 team. It would be about the equivalent of Jude Visi Victory Lourdes and Antoninus taking the top players from each school and forming a super team and playing in the league.
I think the draw is less of a problem than how they craft their teams. It seems to be they have a select team at 6th and 4th grades and then combo 5th/6th and 3rd/4th teams with the rest of the older kids and very bad 3rd and 5th teams.

I could be wrong, though.

I think the start of an independent football league is inevitable (within 5-10 years), especially as the parish leaders start wanting to combine sports programs. I think it will rankle so many feathers, dads will get fed up and look for alternatives for their kids. Can you imagine the postering and politics if Jude and Visi were to have to combine sports?

They would have still lost that game by multiple scores. That Colerain team was really, really good. Probably should have won state.

Yes, anyone that watched that game knows how good Colerain was with the Pace brothers and a couple others. Elder was very good too. It's not a stretch to think it would have been a better game with Elder's starting QB from the entire season not having to miss and if things go their way. Colerain was NOT 6 touchdowns better with or without Bittner in the lineup. I guess that night they were. Things snowballed in the 4th quarter and that happens. With their starting QB and they play better then they are in the game til the end.

I think the start of an independent football league is inevitable (within 5-10 years), especially as the parish leaders start wanting to combine sports programs. I think it will rankle so many feathers, dads will get fed up and look for alternatives for their kids. Can you imagine the postering and politics if Jude and Visi were to have to combine sports?

This has been discussed plenty of times on here. First, everyone predicted schools and Churches would close. Hasn't happened. Then, everyone predicted all the sports will be combined by families of parish. Hasn't happened. There was a priest shortage.

Yes, there are some schools that may eventually close or combine. I don't foresee anywhere in the next 10 years and most likely longer that Visitation, Jude, Ignatius, Antoninus, Victory would ever not continue to operate as separate schools, sports, other extracurriculars regardless of what family of parish they are in. You are also overestimating how much these priests and the archdiocese cares about the youth sports leagues.

This has been discussed plenty of times on here. First, everyone predicted schools and Churches would close. Hasn't happened. Then, everyone predicted all the sports will be combined by families of parish. Hasn't happened. There was a priest shortage.

Yes, there are some schools that may eventually close or combine. I don't foresee anywhere in the next 10 years and most likely longer that Visitation, Jude, Ignatius, Antoninus, Victory would ever not continue to operate as separate schools, sports, other extracurriculars regardless of what family of parish they are in. You are also overestimating how much these priests and the archdiocese cares about the youth sports leagues.
I don't think anyone thought this was all going to happen at once. But you can be sure schools will close (likely not the main ones you mention).

Pastors don't really care about sports leagues, but they do care about their parish community. It makes no sense for a parish family to do everything together except sports. It's inevitable. Yes, people will try to stop/delay it, but it's going to happen at some point.

Last edited:

You know the parish family consolidation just happened in July right? Of course no churches or schools closed. There will eventually be closures.

I think the draw is less of a problem than how they craft their teams. It seems to be they have a select team at 6th and 4th grades and then combo 5th/6th and 3rd/4th teams with the rest of the older kids and very bad 3rd and 5th teams.

I could be wrong, though.

Correct. They pick an “A” team out of a pool of about 100 kids on each level. Then the rest get dumped on the other two teams they have on those levels. It’s ridiculous. I’m shocked the GCYL allowed this and not surprised all the other schools are finally done with them. Hopefully JElder is right and they are kicked out of the league.

You know the parish family consolidation just happened in July right? Of course no churches or schools closed. There will eventually be closures.

Throughout Cincinnati yes. There have been school closures even before Beacon of Light. The schools mentioned above Jude, Ignatius, Visitation, Antoninus, Victory I do not see closing. I would even be surprised to see smaller schools like Dominic, Teresa, Lourdes close. The Price Hill schools and Churches will be interesting that include St. William, Holy Family, St. Lawrence, Resurrection.

Pastors don't really care about sports leagues, but they do care about their parish community. It makes no sense for a parish family to do everything together except sports. It's inevitable. Yes, people will try to stop/delay it, but it's going to happen at some point.

Except sports? Are you blind? They do schools separate. Of course sports and other extracurriculars will be separate too. The festivals are even separate. The only thing they share in common is a priest.

Except sports? Are you blind? They do schools separate. Of course sports and other extracurriculars will be separate too. The festivals are even separate. The only thing they share in common is a priest.
For the most part, isn't Football consolidated already?

At one point years ago, the Archdiocese wanted control over the leagues (& of course the $ as this is not subject to the assessment unless it gets passed to the schools operating fund). But this is a long term play by the Archdiocese, nothing is going to happen over night. Eventually the priests aren't going to handle separate PTO's, Parrish Councils, Finance Committees, Athletics at each school. these will eventually have to consolidate just to manage effectively

They are, but not by parish family.

How does it make sense for Jude and Visitation to be a parish family, but Jude plays sports with Lourdes? And Lourdes is in a family with Antoninus, who plays sports with St Teresa. The current combination of sports makes no sense when it comes to the new parish families (or the current parish families make no sense when it comes to how sports were organized, whatever floats your boat).

If this is the reality, why not just let kids play sports wherever they want? If a Lourdes kid can play sports outside their parish family, does it matter where they play?

Last edited:

How does it make sense for Jude and Visitation to be a parish family, but Jude plays sports with Lourdes? And Lourdes is in a family with Antoninus, who plays sports with St Teresa. The current combination of sports makes no sense when it comes to the new parish families.

If this is the reality, why not just let kids play sports wherever they want? If a Lourdes kid can play sports outside their parish family, does it matter where they play?

You would have to remind me what schools are with who for football now, but the answer to your question is because the Priest does not care if a Lourdes kid is playing on a football team with a Jude kid. From what I heard, they don't even care if a kid from Bridgetown Middle plays football for their school.

I think they got bigger priorities like you know spreading the Gospel. It's hard to take you seriously.

How does it make sense for Jude and Visitation to be a parish family, but Jude plays sports with Lourdes? And Lourdes is in a family with Antoninus, who plays sports with St Teresa. The current combination of sports makes no sense when it comes to the new parish families.

This is just football and not all sports. The Volunteers are made up of Al’s, Jude, Lourdes, Martin and Catherine.

At one point years ago, the Archdiocese wanted control over the leagues (& of course the $ as this is not subject to the assessment unless it gets passed to the schools operating fund). But this is a long term play by the Archdiocese, nothing is going to happen over night. Eventually the priests aren't going to handle separate PTO's, Parrish Councils, Finance Committees, Athletics at each school. these will eventually have to consolidate just to manage effectively

Finances could be funneled and budgeted separately, but you don't have the resources to hold these schools together. It's just my opinion these schools will stay separate. We can agree to disagree.

but the answer to your question is because the Priest does not care if a Lourdes kid is playing on a football team with a Jude kid. From what I heard, they don't even care if a kid from Bridgetown Middle plays football for their school.
The again, if this is the case, and if parish families aren't going to organize sports the same way (I could care less what they do), why not just let a kid play wherever he wants?

I have zero agenda here, but it would seem like a big cluster to create these families but then not follow through with sports too at some point.

Wouldn't be a good idea - talk about power houses trying to be built. Plus the reason for sports is the reason for the Parish - to be together, create a sense of community

Status
Not open for further replies.