Week 7: Elder (5-1) v Moeller (6-0)

On the positive side:
-When Elder wasn't turning the ball over in the 1st half, they were moving the ball. One TD drive, another sputtered drive into Moe territory stalled out with the delay of game penalty. Then the possession before half where they nearly scored. They can move the ball. The Moeller defense can be scored on.
-They finally found Browne in the passing game. This Elder offense is best when they're spreading the ball around. And Browne has been playing the majority of the past 3 games at WR, with minimal targets.
-As mentioned above, this is an outlier of a game. How many times does a team fumble 3 straight times they touch the ball? Moeller is a really good football team, but Elder is not even close to being as bad as they showed last night. Sure looked like they were pleased with their result against X, knowing Moeller had a chance to lose to the Bombers. Transitive Property doesn't work in football as we all know.
Great post and I believe Elder would play a cleaner game if they were to meet again in November. I’m not sure Elder could beat Moe, but things can happen. This one tonight—well, it turned ugly early.

This is where it would be nice to have at least one cupcake on the schedule. Having to play one of the best teams in Indiana on the road after a game like this will be especially challenging.
Chatard should be an easier game. Would have been nice to get Chatard at home first before going out to Indy for Roncalli, but it is what it is. If Elder wins that game (and handles business in Week 9 and 10 like they should) they should be in good position to host two playoff games.

On the Negative Side:
-Elder's defense looked slow for the first time all season. I know Moeller has some speedsters, but that ain't gonna change if these two teams meet again in the postseason. Need to have better angles, need to make sure tackles, need to play more aggressive like they have the first 6 weeks. First time all season they weren't the aggressors, instead the reactors.
-St X had success against Moeller running the ball and playing keep away. Elder came out and ran the ball the first 6 plays of the game, but couldn't really get anything going after that first drive. Need to be able run and pass in order to keep the defense off balance and it's obviously hard to do when you're trying to play catch-up. In a potential rematch, would be interesting to see how Elder does playing with a lead.
-It's never fun being on that side of things, I've been there myself and know the feeling, so you can't really blame anyone for bad body language but it was tough seeing some of that tonight. I disagree with the sentiments that this is a "burn the tape" game, because there's the potential to see this team again, however there isn't much to be learned in the week-to-week. Put this one behind you and get ready for Roncalli. I'm sure Coach Ramsey brought it up or will bring it up if he didn't tonight - how will they respond? Friday against Roncalli can't come fast enough.
Our coaches are good coaches and yes we will probably see Moeller again. Obviously it seems to me that we have to stack the line of scrimmage on defense to stop the run and put optimum pressure on their quarterback. We can’t do what we did tonight on defense. Their qb had too much time. If we pressure their qb maybe we can force him into some bad throws. He did not have an incomplete pass in the first half to my recollection. The one time he did get pressure he seemed to freeze and panic when Ginn sacked him for a 20 yard loss. If we give some deep passes so be it.

Our coaches are good coaches and yes we will probably see Moeller again. Obviously it seems to me that we have to stack the line of scrimmage on defense to stop the run and put optimum pressure on their quarterback. We can’t do what we did tonight on defense. Their qb had too much time. If we pressure their qb maybe we can force him into some bad throws. He did not have an incomplete pass in the first half to my recollection. The one time he did get pressure he seemed to freeze and panic when Ginn sacked him for a 20 yard loss. If we give some deep passes so be it.
Eh, I’d pump the breaks on that. My guess is E will have to through either a Princeton or Fairfield, then West, then possibly Moe. I can’t say I feel too confident in their chances after tonight.

Again, burn the film, forget everything about this game and move on. Next week is going to be another massive test and they can’t linger on this.

No. There is a lot to learn from that game last night. Mistake after mistake. Ignoring the mistakes will not make the team better. Ramsey has never coddled any of his teams, and he will not start now. As bad as it was, they need to see how poorly they played, learn from it, and get back to work for a tough challenge from Roncalli.

Henry Heitz had the sack.

The OL needs to be addressed. Too many missed blitz pickups. I’ll also say Schoster needs to be more decisive and not hold on to the ball too long.

It’s hard to be too critical of the Defense bc of the horrible situations they were repeatedly put into. Still, it was disappointing to see them miss tackles and be out of position on so many plays. The Defense is better compared to previous years but still has some work to do.

The pressure came from Moeller's defensive line. They didn't send many linebackers. Elder once had 7 in to block and Schoster got quick pressure from 4 def. lineman. Another time, Moeller def. end stunted inside and Elder tripled teamed the defensive tackle leaving the defensive end completely free and sacked Schoster for a big loss.

Ok, I need to say this and then I will shut up. Elder beat itself tonight. With three fumbles in home territory and the play clock violation in the red zone, there was no way we were going to win. There is no doubt. But, there is also no doubt that Moeller cheated tonight. Playing loud music up until the snap and, even in one case, playing it all the way through an Elder offensive play is cheating, is against the OHSAA rules and did contribute to the delay of game penalty.

I knew from the exclusive prayer the Moeller announcer offered (by and for the "Moeller family") and then the loud music played during Elder offense, that Moeller is an elitist, win at all coat school. I hate Moeller. They cheated.
Lol

The pressure came from Moeller's defensive line. They didn't send many linebackers. Elder once had 7 in to block and Schoster got quick pressure from 4 def. lineman. Another time, Moeller def. end stunted inside and Elder tripled teamed the defensive tackle leaving the defensive end completely free and sacked Schoster for a big loss.
There were definitely two blitzes where the defender went totally unblocked with a free shot at Schoster. They need to shuffle the OL around and move Ginn to one of the Guard positions.

Eh, I’d pump the breaks on that. My guess is E will have to through either a Princeton or Fairfield, then West, then possibly Moe. I can’t say I feel too confident in their chances after tonight.
I feel your pain. I’ll repost my post in 5 weeks before the Moeller game.

I feel your pain. I’ll repost my post in 5 weeks before the Moeller game.
I would just worry about Roncalli right now. That’s going to be a really tough game on the road. Plus, I don’t know where this team is going to be mentally. I think they definitely lost a good amount of confidence after last night

I would just worry about Roncalli right now. That’s going to be a really tough game on the road. Plus, I don’t know where this team is going to be mentally. I think they definitely lost a good amount of confidence after last night
Remember the 2002 State Champs who were blown out by Warren Central of Indy in week 6. Ramsey will coach them back.

Honestly, we don't know how lucky we have it at Elder. Might not get the same crowds as the old days but people still care about the game. Earlier this year I went to a game at my wife's HS here in NE Ohio and it was just not the same. Half the crowd left after the band played at halftime and the rest of the crowd was just there to have a social event or let their kids run wild, not including parents of the players. And this is for a team that's Top 10 in Ohio for D-II. I honestly feel bad for the players that the actual game is so low on the priority list for the majority of the crowd.

That being said, go Elder beat Moeller!
Over the years when Elder was playing on Saturday, I would try to catch a non-Elder game on Friday Night. In that time off the top of my head I have seen games at CovCath, Bishop Brossart, Campbell County, Sycamore, Summit Country Day, and Highlands. GCL games are different, they have more of a college feel to them. Even with our smaller crowds of today, they are still better than all those teams I mentioned above.

Over the years when Elder was playing on Saturday, I would try to catch a non-Elder game on Friday Night. In that time off the top of my head I have seen games at CovCath, Bishop Brossart, Campbell County, Sycamore, Summit Country Day, and Highlands. GCL games are different, they have more of a college feel to them. Even with our smaller crowds of today, they are still better than all those teams I mentioned above.
The crowd was surprisingly big on Friday.

My bad we were blown out by Trinity in 2002 and Warren Central In 2003. Both State Champ years
Regardless, if they end up facing Moeller a 2nd time, I’ll consider that a success bc it means they’ll have made it to the R4 Final. Even if they catch another beating, I’d still consider that a successful season. This was not the yr, I had high expectations for Elder. I thought they’d be around 6-4 or 5-5.

Regardless, if they end up facing Moeller a 2nd time, I’ll consider that a success bc it means they’ll have made it to the R4 Final. Even if they catch another beating, I’d still consider that a successful season. This was not the yr, I had high expectations for Elder. I thought they’d be around 6-4 or 5-5.
Roncali has the number 1 running back in Indiana. Hanson. We stop him and we win and we go 8-2. Award is 2 playoff home game victories at the Pit. This team has yet to play their best football.

Roncali has the number 1 running back in Indiana. Hanson. We stop him and we win and we go 8-2. Award is 2 playoff home game victories at the Pit. This team has yet to play their best football.
He ran for over 100 yards at the Pit last yr. They’ve also got an OL committed to Iowa. It’s going to be an incredibly tough game. Elder can win, but they’ve got to put the Moeller game totally out of their mind.

Last edited:
... they’ve got to put the Moeller game totally out of their mind. As does everyone else. MOVE ON !!!!

Any competent Elder fan would take 5-2 and a current #3 seed in the region now. If the season ended today they would host Lebanon in the first round of the playoffs.

They can play with anyone on any given night. Keep grinding.

Roncali has the number 1 running back in Indiana. Hanson.
I saw on article that he averages 263 yards per game this year. Damn! From a couple weeks ago:

No. 12 Roncalli (5-0) at No. 17 Brebeuf Jesuit (3-1)

Top 5 4A powers battle head-to-head this week when the Royals take on the Braves, and Roncalli tries to clinch the Circle City Conference title. Roncalli boasts one of the state’s most prominent ground gainers – can Brebeuf contain the 263-yards-per-game Luke Hansen?

Any competent Elder fan would take 5-2 and a current #3 seed in the region now. If the season ended today they would host Lebanon in the first round of the playoffs.

They can play with anyone on any given night. Keep grinding.
I think people are still in a bit of shock at how fast the self destruction took place. Moeller is a legitimately better team, but Elder looked like they had a hex put on them. Another poster I talked to offline made a good comp, it was like the Colerain playoff game in ‘15. Colerain scored the 1st play of the game, recovered a fumbled kickoff and scored soon after that. It was 14-0 in the blink of an eye and the game was over.

In a rematch Moe wins by 2-3 TDs, but I think Elder could at least keep the game relatively close for 3 quarters. The D might be vastly improved but they still don’t have the speed in the Secondary to mitigate Moe’s passing game.

I think people are still in a bit of shock at how fast the self destruction took place. Moeller is a legitimately better team, but Elder looked like they had a hex put on them. Another poster I talked to offline made a good comp, it was like the Colerain playoff game in ‘15. Colerain scored the 1st play of the game, recovered a fumbled kickoff and scored soon after that. It was 14-0 in the blink of an eye and the game was over.

In a rematch Moe wins by 2-3 TDs, but I think Elder could at least keep the game relatively close for 3 quarters. The D might be vastly improved but they still don’t have the speed in the Secondary to mitigate Moe’s passing game.

The thing about the playoffs, they might not have to beat Moeller if another team does. I do think Elder can beat Moeller if healthy and they don't make the same mistakes they made Friday. Moeller deserves a lot of credit. They played a great game and were ready.