Week 6: Elder (4-1) vs St. Xavier (2-3)

It goes both ways. There are bad apples with both institutions. For the most part I think the majority of the folks associated with both schools have a lot of mutual respect. There are going to be more at StX because their enrollment is more than double of that at Elder which coincides with having more teachers, administration, alumni, students, coaches, etc.

One thing that is interesting is the number of Elder grads that teach, coach, work, and or send their kids to StX. Are there a lot of StX grads that teach, coach, work, or send their kids to Elder? I don't know the answer but it would be interesting to see how that compares. For what it is worth I also hear one of the biggest Moeller Booster guys is also an Elder Grad.
It kind of goes both ways. I think there are definitely more Elder grads that send their kids to X, than X to Elder. Part of that is Elder grads that move to the east side or mason, etc always has the option to send them to X with no boundaries as compared to Elder which had boundaries at one point.

I know it's open boundaries now, but a large majority of Elder students come from the west side where X gets kids from all over the metro area.

I have friends that have done it both ways with their sons. The wives are usually the ones that make that decision for their sons and perceive X as being superior to Elder.

Both are great schools and the kids that get to attend them get quality educations.

Maybe it was or maybe the other team was just bigger and better. It's still a slap in the face/disrespectful comment to make. It's a microcosm of how St. Xavier feels about Elder and you know it. The X administration, school, teachers, coaches, students, alumni all think and feel they are superior to Elder in any and every way possible. This is not a new revelation.

Honestly, they have that attitudes towards everyone not just Elder.

Last edited:
Like the way Elder is a status symbol over west side public schools?
In terms of sports, maybe in the minds of some people, but I don’t see people taking it that way otherwise. Think most people go on to college or whatever they decide to do after high school and realize that the playing field is pretty level. Just a loud minority who might suggest otherwise. All that to say, this was a pretty unnecessary shot.

In terms of sports, maybe in the minds of some people, but I don’t see people taking it that way otherwise. Think most people go on to college or whatever they decide to do after high school and realize that the playing field is pretty level. Just a loud minority who might suggest otherwise. All that to say, this was a pretty unnecessary shot.
This forum is filled with Elder bashing the academics and sports at all the west side public schools.

I would 100% agree with you that the field is pretty level for those post high school. If you as a student want the education, you will get a fine one no matter the school.

I don't consider what I said any more of an unnecessary shot than those who stated X was just a status symbol.

I'm not trying to bash anyone's school, where people decide is the best environment for their child is their own decision and should be respected...... Period. It doesn't matter if private, public, non-traditional, vocational, or virtual. People need to change their attitudes about other schools was my point. Stop stereotyping who goes where, and stop portraying those stereotypes. People also need to take emotions out of the school decisions as well. Emotions cloud judgement, and that could put your child in an environment/school where they won't succeed.

Definitely true with the west side X moms. It’s really just a status symbol type thing to brag about more than anything. They view St Ursula the same way for their daughters.
I know the types of mothers you are referring to. The funny thing is no one but them care that their kid is at X. It's so silly..... In a few years it's all over and no one gives a damn where you child went to high school.

Yes, there are some X fans that are arrogant but I think you guys are exaggerating in here with some of your claims. There are many of us who do have respect for Elder as a good Catholic school.

I used to teach chemistry at a local college and one day a female student was saying how these Catholic guys looked down on her for being a public high school graduate. I thought she was going to mention my alma mater but she said it was Elder guys. My point is there are stuck up people at other schools too. I don't think these guys were reflective of Elder but there are bad apples at every place as another poster mentioned.

I used to teach chemistry at a local college and one day a female student was saying how these Catholic guys looked down on her for being a public high school graduate. I thought she was going to mention my alma mater but she said it was Elder guys. My point is there are stuck up people at other schools too. I don't think these guys were reflective of Elder but there are bad apples at every place as another poster mentioned.
I had to chuckle last week leaving the X game hearing some X boys after the loss saying at least our dads don't make $8 a week and drive (crappy) cars. The "status" perception is real to some people.

Hate to change this informative subject but how is Xs kicking game. I have a feeling this game comes down to field position. Elder’s punting has been very good to vary poor at different times
St X switched punters after game 3, but neither have been great by GCL standards. Avg is 26yards

For X, keep an eye on WR #82 Jamaal Sharp(5'11" 170) who is quietly leading the GCL in receiving yards with 430 and 2nd in receptions with 25.
RB #4 Steven Napier(5'10" 190) is a junior 2nd leading rusher in the GCL with 438 yards. He ran 27 times against Moeller for 129 yards, 4.8 yards per carry. I would expect a similar amount of touches vs. Elder.

This shouldn't mean anything, because yes it is freshman football and a lot changes.

However, c/o of '23 beat X c/o of '23 as freshman 28-7 and the c/o of '24 beat X c/o '24 14-3 as freshman.

C/o '23 JV team lost to X c/o of '23 JV team 14-6 and c/o '24 JC team beat X c/o of '24 JV team 44-7.

Yes, a lot changes when you get to varsity, some kids quit, some kids stop growing, some kids keep growing. Overall, time for the junior and senior classes to get in their head they are the better team and win the game.

For X, keep an eye on WR #82 Jamaal Sharp(5'11" 170) who is quietly leading the GCL in receiving yards with 430 and 2nd in receptions with 25.
RB #4 Steven Napier(5'10" 190) is a junior 2nd leading rusher in the GCL with 438 yards. He ran 27 times against Moeller for 129 yards, 4.8 yards per carry. I would expect a similar amount of touches vs. Elder.
Interesting, in past years St X’s speed on offense has always spelled doom for a heavy footed Elder defense. Elder’s defense this year is much quicker and better than years past. Also have heard that Elder linebacker Hornchemeyer(sp?) may be back this week- a big boost to a front 7 that is already exceeding expectations. We shall see…. Love GCL football

Interesting, in past years St X’s speed on offense has always spelled doom for a heavy footed Elder defense. Elder’s defense this year is much quicker and better than years past. Also have heard that Elder linebacker Hornchemeyer(sp?) may be back this week- a big boost to a front 7 that is already exceeding expectations. We shall see…. Love GCL football

That would be a big boost to get him back. I like Elder's chances more if he's back.

It doesn't mean anything.

With kids playing up, it's impossible to have an apples to apples talent comparison until they get to varsity. Freshman and JV records and results are meaningless.

Not many X players get to start as sophomores. Elder had Dugan last year start.

Elder didn’t shutdown Carter last week, but they kept him from dominating the game. Hammond is more of a traditional 3 Tech/NT than a pass rusher like Carter, but he still has the ability to be extremely disruptive vs the run and generate pressure. Given Elder’s Center is undersized, they really should consider doubling him up with James.

Elder didn’t shutdown Carter last week, but they kept him from dominating the game. Hammond is more of a traditional 3 Tech/NT than a pass rusher like Carter, but he still has the ability to be extremely disruptive vs the run and generate pressure. Given Elder’s Center is undersized, they really should consider doubling him up with James.
Yes. Hammond will be a problem.

I am sure they will lean on Autenrieb a lot Friday night for blocking. It's time to get the ball in the hands of Browne. X doesn't have anyone to stop that.