The Official 2022 Cincinnati Reds Thread

OMG. You are absolutely hilarious. Trying to explain something simple, yet you still mess it up.

You said Votto had 5 of 40 plate appearances. That is 1/8. Please explain to everyone how a single player can can have plate appearances more than one out of nine!! Either the Reds cheated or math is not a strong suit for you.

(Hint: you forgot that walks, sacrifices and HBP are plate appearances but not ABs - The Reds had 44 or 45 plate appearances last night).
1, 2, 3, 4,5,6,7,8,9,
1,2, 3, 4,5,6,7,8,9
1,2, 3, 4,5,6,7,8,9
1,2, 3, 4,5,6,7,8,9
1,2, 3, 4

Batters 1, 2, 3 and 4 come to the plate 5 times out of 40 while batters 5, 6, 7,8,9 only come to the plate 4 times of 40.
Batters 1-4 therefore represent 12.5% (1/8 or 5/40) of the appearances and batters 5-9 each represent 10% (1/10 or 4/40) of appearances.

Not saying that is what actually occured in that specific game, but unless I'm missing something, that is very much what could occur, no cheating required.

A player having 14.29 % or 1/7 (4/28) of a teams plate appearances would be possible, though very rare, and most certainly would occur in a loss, not a win.
The very highest percentage I can think of as a percentage of a teams plate appearances would be 15.79% (3/19). That could only occur where the game was called after the sixth. I feel like I'm channeling my inner Lance Mccallister.

Guess math is not everyone's strong suit.

Last edited:
I was being to wonder if anyone really wanted to win last nights game. First it is NY that tries to give it to the Reds and then the Reds give it right back. You can't beat NY in any part of the game of baseball once they gave the lead back to the Reds try as the RED did NY refuse to let it happen and the Reds get the win and lost the game of losing. Think about that one. Maybe the Reds can make up for their mistakes trying to lose in NY and take one on the chin tonight in St Louis.
Just thought I would point out that my prediction of correcting that actions that caused the wins in NY could and were corrected.

Just thought I would point out that my prediction of correcting that actions that caused the wins in NY could and were corrected.
That was Friday night and just to make sure I was right they did it again yesterday. OK, I believe it how about a change of plans for today.

1, 2, 3, 4,5,6,7,8,9,
1,2, 3, 4,5,6,7,8,9
1,2, 3, 4,5,6,7,8,9
1,2, 3, 4,5,6,7,8,9
1,2, 3, 4

Batters 1, 2, 3 and 4 come to the plate 5 times out of 40 while batters 5, 6, 7,8,9 only come to the plate 4 times of 40.
Batters 1-4 therefore represent 12.5% (1/8 or 5/40) of the appearances and batters 5-9 each represent 10% (1/10 or 4/40) of appearances.

Not saying that is what actually occured in that specific game, but unless I'm missing something, that is very much what could occur, no cheating required.

A player having 14.29 % or 1/7 (4/28) of a teams plate appearances would be possible, though very rare, and most certainly would occur in a loss, not a win.
The very highest percentage I can think of as a percentage of a teams plate appearances would be 15.79% (3/19). That could only occur where the game was called after the sixth. I feel like I'm channeling my inner Lance Mccallister.

Guess math is not everyone's strong suit.
So for all the high level math you did, let's just say that MOST baseball players who are a start have at most a 10-15% effect on the game offensively. In my original post, I said 12.5%. The POINT is that one baseball player, unless it's the pitcher who's pitching that day, has little to do with the overall outcome of the game. You can't just give the ball to LeBron and clear out like in football, or have Tom Brady check into the right play and throw the ball 40 times.

+/- within the team is important. Not as necessarily when comparing players from different teams. The stat it far from useless. +/- can be adjusted for power plays and pulled goalie situations.

I'm assuming the REDS won that game and to me that is all that matters. You are correct. I do not like Votto and I will hate on him.
Out of curiosity, why do you not like Votto? Is it because he makes alot of money? We all know his skills have diminished, but they all do late in their careers. He was a little aloof early in his career, but he seems to be a pretty good character in the locker room and with the fans. He's never criticized the team, a teammate, manager or fans.

Out of curiosity, why do you not like Votto? Is it because he makes alot of money? We all know his skills have diminished, but they all do late in their careers. He was a little aloof early in his career, but he seems to be a pretty good character in the locker room and with the fans. He's never criticized the team, a teammate, manager or fans.

1) Kneeling during the National Anthem. F' him as he is not a Naturalize Citizen doing this. It is bad enough we had any athlete to do it but this takes it a step farther. Actually learn what the National Anthem is about and then one will understand why so many people get upset by this.
2) Demands where he bats in the order.
3) Takes too many called 3rd strikes especially with runners on 3rd w/ less than two outs.
4) Refuses to bunt even with a shift that would guarantee a base hit....
5) Does not learn from base running mistakes and over playing of first base (being out of position)

Not a fan of large contracts. For the money he is being payed I expect more and while one can argue his career numbers the truth is the REDS have never won consistently with him in the lineup.

Orin Swift.... why are you laughing?

If you disagree with some or all then bring it to the discussion. While the 1st one while true is opinionated the other 4 are pretty much true.

Orin Swift.... why are you laughing?

If you disagree with some or all then bring it to the discussion. While the 1st one while true is opinionated the other 4 are pretty much true.
Because you’ve proven time and time again your stance is laughable. You have not changed your mind about anything on the Reds here be it Votto, Dusty, anyone or anything. There’s no point in bringing it to a discussion with you.

1) Kneeling during the National Anthem. F' him as he is not a Naturalize Citizen doing this. It is bad enough we had any athlete to do it but this takes it a step farther. Actually learn what the National Anthem is about and then one will understand why so many people get upset by this.
2) Demands where he bats in the order.
3) Takes too many called 3rd strikes especially with runners on 3rd w/ less than two outs.
4) Refuses to bunt even with a shift that would guarantee a base hit....
5) Does not learn from base running mistakes and over playing of first base (being out of position)

Not a fan of large contracts. For the money he is being payed I expect more and while one can argue his career numbers the truth is the REDS have never won consistently with him in the lineup.
Ok, just curious and I'm perfectly fine with your explanation.
1. I think Joey is a non-confrontational person and he knelt as much to support his teammates and others in baseball.
2. Joey has hit 2,3 & 4 in the lineup and honestly, for a player of his stature, that's pretty much the norm. It's not like we've had the Big Red Machine Reds during his time so he's always been the best offensive player on the roster.
3. I can easily argue this. How many times have we seen Joey get down 0-2, only to work a walk? Joey has the best eye in baseball, hands down. And yes, I do sometimes wish he'd expand the strike zone, I think he'd be even better but hard to teach an old dog new tricks.
4. Joey has never bunted and I don't think it's going to start now. He does hit to left field quite a bit.
5. With all the shifting, I'm not sure the players know where each other are every pitch.

I don't think the teams are big on long term contracts either, teams would love to go year to year with every player. But we know this is negotiations, and to get a player of Votto's caliber to sign back in 2012, you had to give a long term contract. This is not new.

Anyone watching the home run derby or all star game tomorrow? I'll be fine if the Reds never have anyone in the home run derby again. In 2015 - Todd Frazier and 2017 - Adam Duvall, both participated in the derby (Frazier won) and both had crappy 2nd halves.

Anyone watching the home run derby or all star game tomorrow? I'll be fine if the Reds never have anyone in the home run derby again. In 2015 - Todd Frazier and 2017 - Adam Duvall, both participated in the derby (Frazier won) and both had crappy 2nd halves.
HR derby = no for me
All Star game = I will catch a few early innings. I like to see the best pitchers face the best hitters.

Ok, just curious and I'm perfectly fine with your explanation.
1. I think Joey is a non-confrontational person and he knelt as much to support his teammates and others in baseball.
2. Joey has hit 2,3 & 4 in the lineup and honestly, for a player of his stature, that's pretty much the norm. It's not like we've had the Big Red Machine Reds during his time so he's always been the best offensive player on the roster.
3. I can easily argue this. How many times have we seen Joey get down 0-2, only to work a walk? Joey has the best eye in baseball, hands down. And yes, I do sometimes wish he'd expand the strike zone, I think he'd be even better but hard to teach an old dog new tricks.
4. Joey has never bunted and I don't think it's going to start now. He does hit to left field quite a bit.
5. With all the shifting, I'm not sure the players know where each other are every pitch.

I don't think the teams are big on long term contracts either, teams would love to go year to year with every player. But we know this is negotiations, and to get a player of Votto's caliber to sign back in 2012, you had to give a long term contract. This is not new.

1) I can understand that but still it is what it was.
2) Joey often complained when he was moved from his spot in the lineup. Does he still? I do not know as I no longer follow the REDS or baseball in general.
3) You basically agree with me though you state you can easily argue this. I'm talking taking strike 3. It happens to everyone but Votto for what he is being paid it happens too much. I am not the only one on here that complained about that. Is it still happening???
4) Exactly... he never bunts even though with a shift it is a guarantee hit. Sure, he hits to all fields but just lay it down and get on base and then eventually the shift is gone. By the way, I am 100% against the new rule about shifting for next season. Batters just need to adjust and quit being one dimensional.
5) Not buying it. These are major league baseball players not little leagues.

Because you’ve proven time and time again your stance is laughable. You have not changed your mind about anything on the Reds here be it Votto, Dusty, anyone or anything. There’s no point in bringing it to a discussion with you.

By whose definition?

I've stated why I do not like Votto. At least 14Red responded with feedback. You either agree or disagree with one or more of what I stated.

As for Dusty, I guess you were OK with him letting a pitcher bat in the bottom of the inning but yet have a new pitcher pitch the next inning. Not once but over and over again. Were you OK with that? Were you OK with Dusty resting players in game 162 that was the difference between home field or not in the first round?

My history with Dusty goes back to the Giants whom I am a fan of. I was not happy when the REDS hired him.

1) I can understand that but still it is what it was.
2) Joey often complained when he was moved from his spot in the lineup. Does he still? I do not know as I no longer follow the REDS or baseball in general.
3) You basically agree with me though you state you can easily argue this. I'm talking taking strike 3. It happens to everyone but Votto for what he is being paid it happens too much. I am not the only one on here that complained about that. Is it still happening???
4) Exactly... he never bunts even though with a shift it is a guarantee hit. Sure, he hits to all fields but just lay it down and get on base and then eventually the shift is gone. By the way, I am 100% against the new rule about shifting for next season. Batters just need to adjust and quit being one dimensional.
5) Not buying it. These are major league baseball players not little leagues.

I would guess that as part of David Bell's lineup preparation, he's going to want to know where Joey wants to hit. That's the star treatment and it was this way back in the Rose/ Bench era.

I think defensively, since Joey plays in front of the 2nd baseman, he goes and gets whatever he can, and relies on the pitcher to cover first, as they should. Not always the right choice and I've often thought with certain shifts, the first baseman really does not even need take anything on their right.

As far as Votto overall, IMO, the good far, Far, FAR outweighs the bad. He's been one of the best Reds, in terms of overall impact on the team, the community and the franchise as we've ever seen. Even Larkin wanted out of town before Carl Linder rode in on his white horse and saved the day, although I'm not sure that was the best decision for the franchise.

By whose definition?

I've stated why I do not like Votto. At least 14Red responded with feedback. You either agree or disagree with one or more of what I stated.

As for Dusty, I guess you were OK with him letting a pitcher bat in the bottom of the inning but yet have a new pitcher pitch the next inning. Not once but over and over again. Were you OK with that? Were you OK with Dusty resting players in game 162 that was the difference between home field or not in the first round?

My history with Dusty goes back to the Giants whom I am a fan of. I was not happy when the REDS hired him.
I would take Dusty 10 times over the last two managers we've had. Although Brian Price was in a literal no-win situation.

I'm like Wolves. HR derby (on now? lol), no. I'll watch the first few innings for the same reason, but can't stay past +9:30 so I can make it to the shop on tie.

Two questions related to the All star game and the Reds....

1. What is your favorite all star game memory related to a Reds player?

2. Who is your all time Reds favorite All Star?

So for all the high level math you did, let's just say that MOST baseball players who are a start have at most a 10-15% effect on the game offensively. In my original post, I said 12.5%. The POINT is that one baseball player, unless it's the pitcher who's pitching that day, has little to do with the overall outcome of the game. You can't just give the ball to LeBron and clear out like in football, or have Tom Brady check into the right play and throw the ball 40 times.
LeBron plays football??? Who knew!

OMG. You are absolutely hilarious. Trying to explain something simple, yet you still mess it up.

You said Votto had 5 of 40 plate appearances. That is 1/8. Please explain to everyone how a single player can can have plate appearances more than one out of nine!! Either the Reds cheated or math is not a strong suit for you.

(Hint: you forgot that walks, sacrifices and HBP are plate appearances but not ABs - The Reds had 44 or 45 plate appearances last night).
1658428587605.png

Just as a follow up from this earlier post since some must had been looking for an exact percentage of a players affect on a game. This is a daily blog from NY talk show host Chris Moore. It's pretty well known that one position play does not have a huge affect on a game.

Dear Nick Krall:
Please sign Luis Castillo to a contract extension ASAP. Show us you want to win by 2024. If your ownership is too cheap/stupid to do that, please trade him ASAP.

Waiting a year makes him more expensive to re-sign and less valuable as a trade piece. Don't be stupid. I realize that is like asking water not to be wet, but I have my fingers crossed. For once do the right thing.

Warm regards,
All Reds Fans

It is a bit concerning that we’re just 10 days or so from the trade deadline and the Reds haven’t executed a single trade yet to help prepare for the future, despite being hopelessly buried in the standings for more than two months.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

Dear Nick Krall:
Please sign Luis Castillo to a contract extension ASAP. Show us you want to win by 2024. If your ownership is too cheap/stupid to do that, please trade him ASAP.

Waiting a year makes him more expensive to re-sign and less valuable as a trade piece. Don't be stupid. I realize that is like asking water not to be wet, but I have my fingers crossed. For once do the right thing.

Warm regards,
All Reds Fans
If I was Nick Krall, ( and heaven help us if I were) here would be my response.
We've never made any mention about trading him. This has been speculation from alot of fan groups and baseball talking heads who's job is to comment on the sport.
Like any players we have, we are committed to winning with the players we have and IF, and I mean IF we get a deal that WE feel makes the team better, we'll do it. This isn't fantasy football where you just move players with a couple of mouse clicks.
Waiting a year makes little difference because you and I do not know the future. If Luis continues to pitch like he has the last month through this season and the first 3+ months of 2023, his value will skyrocket even more. If he has an injury or pitches like he did much of last season, 8-16, 3.98 ERA, then his value will drop.

It is a bit concerning that we’re just 10 days or so from the trade deadline and the Reds haven’t executed a single trade yet to help prepare for the future, despite being hopelessly buried in the standings for more than two months.

Every game that Hunter Greene, Nick Lodolo, Graham Ashcraft, Jonathan India and Tyler Stephenson plays is preparing for the future. There are several players in AA and below who are part of the plan as well, they just are not ready to play at the major league level. Trust the process.

Ok let's flush the first half of the season. For the second half, and for you to be on board fully with the Reds next season, what are 3 things you'd like to see? (the Castellini's selling the team isn't an acceptable answer).

For me 3 things...
  • Continued progress from Hunter Green, Nick Lodolo and Graham Ashcraft - these guys progress will shape this franchise the next 5-7 years
  • Nick Senzel's progression. Nick needs to play, and he needs to play well in my opinion to keep a job on this team. Frankly, he's simply not performed as a #2 overall draft pick, and he's had more than ample opportunity.
  • Joey Votto. Ryan Howard of the Phillies several years back was in the same spot a Joey. An aging veteran who simply never got it back. Now I'm not asking Joey to hit .300 with 30 bombs, but we need a sign that Joey can at least hold his own the rest of this season. Hitting .212 with 6 homers isn't going to get it done.

If I was Nick Krall, ( and heaven help us if I were) here would be my response.
We've never made any mention about trading him. This has been speculation from alot of fan groups and baseball talking heads who's job is to comment on the sport.
Like any players we have, we are committed to winning with the players we have and IF, and I mean IF we get a deal that WE feel makes the team better, we'll do it. This isn't fantasy football where you just move players with a couple of mouse clicks.
Waiting a year makes little difference because you and I do not know the future. If Luis continues to pitch like he has the last month through this season and the first 3+ months of 2023, his value will skyrocket even more. If he has an injury or pitches like he did much of last season, 8-16, 3.98 ERA, then his value will drop.

Waiting a year makes a HUGE difference in both scenarios:

#1 - Sign him to an extension :
There is enough history with Castillo to know that if healthy, he performs very well. Letting him have 1 more great season gives him and his agent all the leverage, and drives up the price.

If he gets hurt, or doesn't perform well, you can get him cheaper. So, the only reason to not sign him now is that you are afraid he will get hurt. In which case, quit your job as GM, because you can't operate that way.

#2 - Trade him:
His value will never be higher than it is now. A team trading for him now gets him cheaply for a year and a half. Waiting until next July, the team gets him for two months. Obviously he us worth more now. You are the only person here that doesn't think this.

There is no reason to not trade him now, if not signing him is the plan.

Ok let's flush the first half of the season. For the second half, and for you to be on board fully with the Reds next season, what are 3 things you'd like to see? (the Castellini's selling the team isn't an acceptable answer).

For me 3 things...
  • Continued progress from Hunter Green, Nick Lodolo and Graham Ashcraft - these guys progress will shape this franchise the next 5-7 years
  • Nick Senzel's progression. Nick needs to play, and he needs to play well in my opinion to keep a job on this team. Frankly, he's simply not performed as a #2 overall draft pick, and he's had more than ample opportunity.
  • Joey Votto. Ryan Howard of the Phillies several years back was in the same spot a Joey. An aging veteran who simply never got it back. Now I'm not asking Joey to hit .300 with 30 bombs, but we need a sign that Joey can at least hold his own the rest of this season. Hitting .212 with 6 homers isn't going to get it done.
My main thing is re-signing Castillo now, or trading him now, as stated above. That is priority #1 for me.

I agree with your first bullet point as priority #2.

My 3rd priority is trading some of the vet guys (Farmer, Mahle, Drury, Naquin, Pham) and getting good young guys to build the team for the future.

As to Senzel, you realize he hit .273 in June and .341 in July thus far. Since he got back, he and Drury have carried the offense. 2 7 game hitting streaks, and a 6 game streak. I think he won MLB player of the week once. Him staying healthy and continuing to develop is important. He has the job if healthy.

For me 3 things...
My priorities:

1. Extend Castillo with a 4-year deal, or trade him if he doesn’t agree to the Reds’ terms on that front. Decision must be made now, not in the offseason or next year.

2. Trade Mahle, Drury, Pham, Naquin and Farmer if possible. Build up as big of a prospect influx as possible.

3. Bring up Barrero and Lopez. Give ample playing time to them, along with Fairchild. You need to find out if these kind of guys can hack it in the bigs or not.

4. Continued develop of Senzel, India, Stephenson, Greene, Ashcraft and Lodolo. Ideally move Stephenson to 1B as much as possible. There is no need to be putting extra mileage on his legs by catching every night.