NBA Is Expected To Give 2 New Cities Expansion Teams

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
The NBA has not added a new team in almost two decades, but the next round of expansion could be coming soon.

During an appearance on 93.3 KJR, longtime columnist John Canzano reported that Seattle and Las Vegas have "already been earmarked" for expansion by the NBA.

Washington Generals and Harlem Globetrotters would probably have a better shot at a championship than either expansion team...

I doesn't surprise me that they'd want to add teams to those cities if there is money to be made. Seattle probably should have a team again, and probably should not have lost their original franchise.

It's an absolutely terrible idea to have major league sports teams in Vegas, but having an NBA team there would be way worse than any of the other major leagues. From a competition standpoint, a Vegas team would be a hot free agent destination that I could see drawing a free agent/forced trade duo or trio of potential championship caliber stars sooner than later.

I doesn't surprise me that they'd want to add teams to those cities if there is money to be made. Seattle probably should have a team again, and probably should not have lost their original franchise.

It's an absolutely terrible idea to have major league sports teams in Vegas, but having an NBA team there would be way worse than any of the other major leagues. From a competition standpoint, a Vegas team would be a hot free agent destination that I could see drawing a free agent/forced trade duo or trio of potential championship caliber stars. I would bet they have a legitimately good team within five years of getting an expansion franchise.

ee79aa5b-8f34-40d6-9fbe-8b9b70386c22_text.gif

I would much rather see 4-6 teams contracted.

At the same time, I'd like to see 15-20 games chopped off the regular season and replaced by some type of mid-season tournament/cup event.

They need more competition, not a more watered down product.

At the same time, I'd like to see 15-20 games chopped off the regular season and replaced by some type of mid-season tournament/cup event.

Preach, brother. Do we really need the Timberwolves, Hornets, Kings, Wizards, Magic and 2 NY teams? Coincidentally all have the worst record the last 20 years.

Preach, brother. Do we really need the Timberwolves, Hornets, Kings, Wizards, Magic and 2 NY teams? Coincidentally all have the worst record the last 20 years.
I’d say you’d want to keep a team in Minneapolis, Charlotte, and DC. You definitely don’t need a team in Brooklyn, Sacramento, Orlando, OKC, or Memphis.

I actually think the NBA is the one league that could expand … IMO there is more than enough talent through out the world

DC should always have a franchise. The District proper might not be able to back it by itself, but suburban Maryland (e.g. PG County) complements it well.

I’m ambivalent on Memphis and Charlotte. I think the presence of a franchise serves the city and their young fans well (despite the fact Charlotte has always been a franchise that intentionally tries to not contend.)

OKC I don’t care for. I think them and Utah are pointless. Sacramento is also pointless.

So weird in hindsight that someone willingly moved a franchise out of Seattle (metro of 4 million) and relocated it to OKC (metro of 1.4 million). Baffling.

I’d say you’d want to keep a team in Minneapolis, Charlotte, and DC. You definitely don’t need a team in Brooklyn, Sacramento, Orlando, OKC, or Memphis.
Agree, though I would keep a team in Brooklyn. OKC back to Seattle and renamed the SuperSonics again. Memphis to Nashville. Sacramento to Vegas. Anyone want the Magic?

Orlando? They have a newer arena and when they're halfway okay they typically finish between 15th-20th in attendance. Extremely high metro area growth with over 500k new residents since 2010. It's a very viable NBA city.

Just figure out how to get OKC back to Seattle, Memphis to Nashville, and probably Sacramento to Vegas.

I actually think the NBA is the one league that could expand … IMO there is more than enough talent through out the world
It should be, but they need to figure out how to make the product more competitive and consistent. Seems like there's a huge amount of dead weight games in the regular season with most of the better teams just coasting along.

This year was a little better in the sense it felt like several teams could legitimately contend and even win the title.

In these here parts we call that middle idea the good idea fairy.
On paper....good. In really not so much.

Unless those mid season tourny, cup games were counted in the standings then I bet you have teams resting players. They aren't going to care

I'm all for less games....but I would not be surprised if they still did load management for the primadonnas like they do now.

Northeast Division
Celtics
Knicks
Nets
Raptors

Mid-Atlantic Division
Wizards
76ers
Hornets
Cavs

Southeast Division
Heat
Magic
Hawks
Grizzlies

Midwest Division
Bulls
Pacers
Bucks
Pistons

Northwest Division
*Seattle
Trailblazers
Nuggets
Timberwolves

Pacific Division
Warriors
Lakers
Kings
Clippers

Southwest Division
*Vegas
Suns
Spurs
Jazz

South-Central Division
Rockets
Mavericks
Thunder
Pelicans

Northeast Division
Celtics
Knicks
Nets
Raptors

Mid-Atlantic Division
Wizards
76ers
Hornets
Cavs

Southeast Division
Heat
Magic
Hawks
Grizzlies

Midwest Division
Bulls
Pacers
Bucks
Pistons

Northwest Division
*Seattle
Trailblazers
Nuggets
Timberwolves

Pacific Division
Warriors
Lakers
Kings
Clippers

Southwest Division
*Vegas
Suns
Spurs
Jazz

South-Central Division
Rockets
Mavericks
Thunder
Pelicans
Not bad except the Texas teams probably won’t want to split up.

I always thought the NBA is the one league that can expand into some unique markets and have a soccer type relegation model. It would also make it easier to do things like mid season tournaments and have regional or cross town derbies on key holidays like MLK Day.

I always thought the NBA is the one league that can expand into some unique markets and have a soccer type relegation model. It would also make it easier to do things like mid season tournaments and have regional or cross town derbies on key holidays like MLK Day.
The NBA is relevant on Christmas, as long as it doesn’t fall on an NFL day, and the playoffs. All the rest is just filler. It’s not even as compelling as the day to day of the long baseball season. They might as well do things to spice up the NBA. Maybe split the season? You can qualify for the playoffs based on your first half of the season, or the last half. Kind of like the 1981 MLB season.

In these here parts we call that middle idea the good idea fairy.
On paper....good. In really not so much.

Unless those mid season tourny, cup games were counted in the standings then I bet you have teams resting players. They aren't going to care

I'm all for less games....but I would not be surprised if they still did load management for the primadonnas like they do now.
Need to do something different to spice it up...too many teams are largely skating through the majority of the regular season with questionable effort, load management, etc. Until the last 20-25 games the product is inconsistent at best and sucks at worst. Any type of mid-season tournament would have to factor into traditional postseason qualification and seeding.

I wouldn't be surprised if certain older players still sat 10+ games in a 60-65 game season for "load management".