2021 GCYL Football

I was told by a pretty good source the following for GCYL 2022
-- player registration numbers are way up.
-- a number of programs are going to have 3rd and 5th grade teams so there could be 3rd and 5th grade divisions in the league again this season.
-- registration for Varsity levels across the league are the highest they have been since before concussion scares, so much that a 7th grade division has been considered. instead it sounds like just about every program in the league will be playing JV games on Monday nights whereas in the past maybe only a third of the programs were doing this
-- programs are going to stay combined, they will not be splitting off to run their own programs
-- Ignatius is getting moved down to D2 and CPS/StMary is getting moved up to D1. Although at the Varsity level I don't think it really matters anymore because last season showed D2 programs are just as strong as the D1 programs.

It is good to see registrations numbers up for football across the City. I only hope the league can channel the interest and continue to adapt to what is needed to keep the league growing. I also think there is a better balance on the League Board of East and West programs and this has to help in the decision making as to what is best for the League.

-- a number of programs are going to have 3rd and 5th grade teams so there could be 3rd and 5th grade divisions in the league again this season.
-- registration for Varsity levels across the league are the highest they have been since before concussion scares, so much that a 7th grade division has been considered. instead it sounds like just about every program in the league will be playing JV games on Monday nights whereas in the past maybe only a third of the programs were doing this
-- programs are going to stay combined, they will not be splitting off to run their own programs
-- Ignatius is getting moved down to D2 and CPS/StMary is getting moved up to D1. Although at the Varsity level I don't think it really matters anymore because last season showed D2 programs are just as strong as the D1 programs.

It is good to see registrations numbers up for football across the City. I only hope the league can channel the interest and continue to adapt to what is needed to keep the league growing. I also think there is a better balance on the League Board of East and West programs and this has to help in the decision making as to what is best for the League.
How in the world is Ignatius being moved down to D2? They are the biggest catholic grade school in The region with over 1000 kids??

All based on winning percentage across all teams over a 3 to 4 year period. It is hard for single parish programs to compete with the combined programs. For example Ignatius probably has around 30 players for Varsity whereas programs like James, Mikes, and CPS have about 50 kids on Varsity. I think Visitation, Ignatius, Susanna, and IHM are the only 4 single Parish programs and those also happen to be the 4 biggest Parishes in the City. There is a reason Visitation isn't dominating the league any more.

I would venture to guess that Ignatius is still significantly bigger than most of the combined D2 schools, and probably some of the combined D1 schools.

They're the biggest school in the league - how can this be approved?

All based on winning percentage across all teams over a 3 to 4 year period. It is hard for single parish programs to compete with the combined programs. For example Ignatius probably has around 30 players for Varsity whereas programs like James, Mikes, and CPS have about 50 kids on Varsity. I think Visitation, Ignatius, Susanna, and IHM are the only 4 single Parish programs and those also happen to be the 4 biggest Parishes in the City. There is a reason Visitation isn't dominating the league any more.
Doesn't Guardian Angels combine with IHM? Or are they now with CPS?

I would venture to guess that Ignatius is still significantly bigger than most of the combined D2 schools, and probably some of the combined D1 schools.

They're the biggest school in the league - how can this be approved?
As someone else mentioned, it is results based and their results haven't been the best over the past few seasons. Additionally, when you account for some of these other teams who combine with 4-5-6+ schools, their total enrollment is likely higher than St Ignatius as a standalone.

St Jude played in D2 for years even though they were the 3rd biggest westside school behind St Ignatius and Visitation, but in their final couple of seasons didn't have enough to practice 11 on 11. I've also heard that both St Jude and St Ignatius have very high numbers for soccer as opposed to football.

As someone else mentioned, it is results based and their results haven't been the best over the past few seasons. Additionally, when you account for some of these other teams who combine with 4-5-6+ schools, their total enrollment is likely higher than St Ignatius as a standalone.

St Jude played in D2 for years even though they were the 3rd biggest westside school behind St Ignatius and Visitation, but in their final couple of seasons didn't have enough to practice 11 on 11. I've also heard that both St Jude and St Ignatius have very high numbers for soccer as opposed to football.
IMO, there's a difference in not being able to compete in the division vs. having a bad record.

Seems to be the latter - so they'll likely move down and dominate the lower division.

They have plenty of kids for success - it shouldn't be everyone else's problem that they can't figure it out.

Last edited:
But that's not a division problem, that's an Ignatius problem.

What do the enrollment numbers look like of the combined schools vs. the numbers at Ignatius - and also vs. the numbers of the combined schools in D2?

If Ignatius is way below the combined D1 schools and right around the combined D2 schools, I can buy it. But I know for a fact that some of the combined D2 programs don't even come close to 1,200 students (Gertrude/SEAS, QOP, SMOY, Veronica, All Saints, CPS/St Marys, Theresa/Antoninus) - no way these schools even combined are anywhere close to 1,200.

Last edited:
Just my opinion but the league should throw out the divisions. Antonitus is D2 and finished second last season. QOP is D2 and they whooped a couple D1 programs. There really isn't any difference between divisions.

Mason is relatively average (comparatively) in most sports. Oak Hills is worse.

Should OHSAA entertain them moving to D2? No way.

IHM and Guardian Angels have combined for at least the last 2 seasons.

Yep it is definitely results based. Some years Ignatius will have a good team and others they’ll be really bad. On reserve last year Ignatius didn’t win a game in D1 during the regular season. They dropped down and lost in the first round of the D2 playoffs to the D2 #4 seed.

If numbers are way up one of two things has to happen IMO. The combined schools need to think about separating and restarting their own programs again or they need a 3rd, 5th and 7th grade division. From what I’ve seen having 40 kids on a team when they are this young can be a disaster for the coaches and the players.

Last edited:
IMO, there's a difference in not being able to compete in the division vs. having a bad record.

Seems to be the latter - so they'll likely move down and dominate the lower division.

They have plenty of kids for success - it shouldn't be everyone else's problem that they can't figure it out.
We shall see. St Susanna was at one time a D1 school and since dropping down they haven't been dominating the lower division.

IMO if numbers are way up some of these schools should consider going back on their own or they need to have a

If numbers are way up one of two things has to happen IMO. The combined schools need to think about separating and restarting their own programs again or they need a 3rd, 5th and 7th grade division. From what I’ve seen having 40 kids on a team when they are this young can be a disaster for the coaches and the players.
I don't agree. Keep the programs together and only split off 3rd and 5th graders when needed. I think it is more important to make sure you have really good coaches who understand the mission at this age. Winning a city championship in grades 3-8 means absolutely nothing and if you don't believe that then go watch freshmen and jv games at Elder, StX, Moeller, and Lasalle. Yeah the coaches are competitive for JV and freshmen games, but they are more focused on getting as many deserving kids quality reps as possible.

If you have really good coaches keep the kids/programs together and add extra games for your non starters. To me this is the way to go because sometime just creating an extra team can be just as bad because you have people coaching who have no business being out there on that field.

50 kids on a grade school varsity roster is way too many. I would want to see them max out at 30 per roster. Then you are able to get kids playing time.

Once you get to high school varsity the more the merrier, not in grade school. It's still about development at that age.

50 kids on a grade school varsity roster is way too many. I would want to see them max out at 30 per roster. Then you are able to get kids playing time.

Once you get to high school varsity the more the merrier, not in grade school. It's still about development at that age.
The Queen of Peace/Baden Jr Rams program shows that it works and they have figured it out. For anybody that follows the league and the Baden high school program it is very evident the Baden High School program took off once they were able to combine all of the Hamilton Parish programs into one where they have 50 plus kids on their 7th/8th grade team. Kids are playing, staying, and developing. This is why I say if you have the right coaches it works.

Badin also had a strong football program before Queen of Peace took off in the GCYL. You could argue the HS program took things to the next level after the program, but let's not act they weren't any good beforehand, because that's simply not true.

Whatever Omar thinks is what they should do. He is the Grade School and Elder Football guru. Having 5 Schools/Parishes make up 1 Team with different Divisions really makes no sense at all.

That’s because they feed right into Badin. They are essentially Badin junior high team. Bad example.
Aren't the westside teams pretty much Elder's junior high teams? Why is it a bad example?

Colerain does this (or at least they used to) with great success. Seems to be a model that works.

Aren't the westside teams pretty much Elder's junior high teams? Why is it a bad example?

Colerain does this (or at least they used to) with great success. Seems to be a model that works.
Ehhhh, mostly, yes. But every year there's also a good amount of kids from those schools who end up at St. X, LaSalle, Oak Hills, Taylor, etc. Out where the QOP kids are, there's not as many options. It's pretty much Badin, Ross or Hamilton depending on where they live.

But there also isn't just one big program made up of all the surrounding schools feeding into Elder's program like the QOP program does, or even Cov Cath now.

But there also isn't just one big program made up of all the surrounding schools feeding into Elder's program like the QOP program does, or even Cov Cath now.
I get it - there's just more parishes on the westside. In essence, yes, there are other options (X, Lasalle, Oak Hills, Taylor), but a large majority of those Catholic westside kids are going to Elder.

And with the parish consolidations, it becomes more similar.

I have no doubt there will be select football leagues that start in the next 10 years when parishes start closing. I don't know if it will catch on, but if Elder started a "Panther" football program, people would flock to it in droves because they want to play at Elder and will feel it's necessary to participate.

I have no clue if Elder would ever be interested in doing it, however. But if the parish consolidation falls on its face, it will be an opportunity.

Whatever Omar thinks is what they should do. He is the Grade School and Elder Football guru. Having 5 Schools/Parishes make up 1 Team with different Divisions really makes no sense at all.
For the millionth time, I’m not gay, I’ll never be gay with you. Stop stalking me.

I get it - there's just more parishes on the westside. In essence, yes, there are other options (X, Lasalle, Oak Hills, Taylor), but a large majority of those Catholic westside kids are going to Elder.

And with the parish consolidations, it becomes more similar.

I have no doubt there will be select football leagues that start in the next 10 years when parishes start closing. I don't know if it will catch on, but if Elder started a "Panther" football program, people would flock to it in droves because they want to play at Elder and will feel it's necessary to participate.

I have no clue if Elder would ever be interested in doing it, however. But if the parish consolidation falls on its face, it will be an opportunity.
I bet we can find posts from 10 years ago that guaranteed select football by now. Elder has no interest in it.

I bet we can find posts from 10 years ago that guaranteed select football by now. Elder has no interest in it.
I can see them not wanting to run it and coordinate - by why would they have no interest? It would seem to have benefits in football and enrollment. What's the difference between that and what they do for baseball and basketball? I see youth Elder teams all over the city every weekend.

There would be a million people willing to run it I'm sure.

Why have 1 team with 1 quarterback when you can have 8 Westside schools playing (or whatever the number is) with lots of different kids playing and developing?
Because those 14 teams have become 8 teams, and eventually those 8 teams will be 4 teams in the not so distant future. That will happen at some point in the next 10 years.