Worst Ohio HS FB stadiums

Oakwood and their basketball court sucks too....richest school district in dayton area. residents claim to "love" these "traditional"
crap holes.

Maybe they got “rich” by saving their money for more important things ?‍♂️

they wouldn't be the only prep school with meh fields. I've seen a few in the Northeast and pretty much the same. Billion dollar schools. Wood court Grass field. Boarding schools without a lot of families around and generally distant from a middle class town in which they exist I suppose is the reason. They put more money into the pools.

they wouldn't be the only prep school with meh fields. I've seen a few in the Northeast and pretty much the same. Billion dollar schools. Wood court Grass field. Boarding schools without a lot of families around and generally distant from a middle class town in which they exist I suppose is the reason. They put more money into the pools.
Oakwood is a public school

That’s why they stink in Athletics.
They have been very good in country club sports... golf and girls tennis very good over the year. Swimming, girls cross country and recently with good coaching, both boys and girls soccer.

Worst I've been to. Sidney old stadium. Te press box was actual classrooms as it was right up against the school.

Versailles before the renovations. It was awful.

Worst I've been to. Sidney old stadium. Te press box was actual classrooms as it was right up against the school.

I liked the setup at Julia Lamb Field. The visitor’s side allowed you to get right up to the field like Anna is now. And the big school behind the home bleachers was definitely unique.

It sounds like a way to save space. During the day, it's a classroom. In the evening, it's a press box. Just turn the desks around to face the window.

Julia Lamb,
On the field was great. But the classroom for press box and visitors having to walk up the home side bleachers to get to the locker room made it bad.

Liberty Union. That place is disgusting. lol
It did come to mind, lol.

Seriously, I never had a problem with their stadium. Cozy and snug might describe it, and the visiting band announcer has a tough time squeezing into their pressbox ..... okay, it's small. But it did have its charm, and decent visitor concessions. They even had a local pizza joint delivering to the stadium the last time I was there - pretty tasty, as I recall.

As The Dock alluded to, we made the trip to LU one year, and I swear the movie "Paper Towns" was playing at the Thurston Rialto.

No, my vote goes to the old Jonathan Alder stadium in Plain City, some time in the 90's. The visitors bleachers always felt like they'd collapse at any moment, and they finally did one night. A guy in front of us holding a baby, and he stood up with everyone else during a breakaway play. His bleacher row snapped in two with him at the break point. Not sure how, but he held onto the baby the whole time and landed while still standing. He became our hero that night. Fortunate there were no injures. Good to see JA get new facilities after that happened.

For the smelliest, I'd go with Hagley Field in 2002 (Watterson's erstwhile home field) at the old Columbus North HS. My 8 year-old son had a conniption fit when we went to that ancient restroom at halftime and the stench hit us. ?

Last edited:
It has been a decade or so since I've been out there, but Copley had a feature I haven't dealt with at other stadiums- a sewage pumping station near the visitor stands. When the wind blows in the right direction it is just...lovely.
Monroevilles Marsh field mentioned earlier for an uneven field also has a sewage pumping station right behind the visitors stands with the huron river just beyond that. If you want to use the restroom you have to leave the "stadium" and walk about 40 yards to an enclosed pole barn/fieldhouse looking building in the front of the parking lot near the road. other features include a playground, basetball field and a path leading to the river for people to put small boatcraft in the very shallow river.

Monroevilles Marsh field mentioned earlier for an uneven field also has a sewage pumping station right behind the visitors stands with the huron river just beyond that. If you want to use the restroom you have to leave the "stadium" and walk about 40 yards to an enclosed pole barn/fieldhouse looking building in the front of the parking lot near the road. other features include a playground, basetball field and a path leading to the river for people to put small boatcraft in the very shallow river.
Sounds like a great place.

Abraham Lincoln HS in the Coney Island neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York.

I know using the building in Ohio is a common thing for some fields as a press box or coaches box, but not that tall.

I wonder what percentage of Manhattan high schools have football teams and where do they play?

I wonder what percentage of Manhattan high schools have football teams and where do they play?
That is a REALLY tough question to answer.

There are 6 high school football teams in New York County/Borough of Manhattan. However JFK is not located on Manhattan Island. The East River was rerouted south of where JFK High School Campus currently stands. For the PSAL they are considered a Bronx school.

The reason the question is difficult to answer is because the NYCDOE restructured their high schools into campuses holding many high schools in the same building (think stem, specialties, etc). The sports teams tend to play under the old name or campus name. For instance, the oldest public high school in NYC is Erasmus Hall, which opened in 1786 and was given to the city in 1896. But ended as a single high school in 1994. The building now houses 5 different high schools. The sports team for the five combined high schools use the Erasmus Hall name (technically Erasmus Hall Educational Campus). Erasmus Hall is located in Brooklyn, however.

The 5 football teams on Manhattan Island are

AP Randolph, Stuyvesant, Washington, Frederick Douglass, and East Harlem Pride.

JFK is across the river from Columbia University's stadium and has their own field.

Screenshot_20220522-201354_Maps.jpg

Washington has their own field located on the east side of Manhattan. East Harlem plays games there as well.

Screenshot_20220522-203612_Maps.jpg

AP Randolph plays most of their home games in the Bronx. As does Frederick Douglass.

And lastly, Stuyvesant plays their games at Pier 40. Which is part of a parking garage built into the Hudson River on old Pier 40. It has no stands at all, but you can watch from the parking decks that ring the field.

There are a few other fields that have been used in the past, but after covid they're restructuring their schools again and this is probably all Manhattan will have for teams and fields used.

Screenshot_20220522-200500_Maps.jpg

Abraham Lincoln's Lincoln Field is probably the nicest stadium in NYC in terms of stadium.

Screenshot_20220522-204545_Maps.jpg

Erasmus Hall has Sid Luckman Field in Brooklyn. It's a nice field but very few seats.

Screenshot_20220522-204623_Maps.jpg

There's a reason for that. Most games do not allow visiting fans to attend. Only home students and fans. Some places only pre-approved relatives of the home players. Most games are in the afternoon or Saturday or Sunday morning. Very unlikely to have a night game.

The city's 56 football teams are divided into 3 classes. Championship, Bowl and Cup. Classes have nothing to do with size. Only ability. If you're bad, you move down. If you're good consistently you move up. Only the Championship level is considered for the city championship. Their title game is usually held at Yankee Stadium. The Bowl and Cup finals are usually held elsewhere. Due to covid issues with scheduling and not being able to play at Yankee Stadium all three finals were held at Abraham Lincoln HS last year.

Photos of my 5 games in NYC in June of 2021:

Zunardo - The old Jonathan Alder home stands had a railing collapse during a JA-West Jefferson game back in the 1990’s. Fortunately I do not believe anyone was seriously hurt but it did stop the game for a bit. That stadium was rough, the visitor stands maybe held 500 people.

Sykotek, outstanding. Thank you for taking the time to answer.
It makes you think how many potentially outstanding football players there must be in a a borough of 1.5m people. I know it’s a basketball haven but still…
NYCDOE has 1.1 million students. It's unfathomably huge for a school district.

I spend a lot of time in NYC, a common site in the fall are kids in pads taking the subway home from practice. Kind of crazy but it is easier/faster than trying to drive during rush hour.

Another old stadium that was not very good was Ashtabula Harbor's. Horrible cow pasture like field with old school rickety wood bleachers on the visitor's side. The worst thing was visitor's press box, basically was a cherry picker bucket fastened to a light pole.

1653314812444.png

Grove City Christian is awful for watching a game. The stands are very small and only on one side. They have tried bringing in portable bleachers for the endzones but it doesn't end up working well.
The visiting team locker room is in a module classroom at the top right of the screen. It takes a good 2-3 minute walk to get there. They just added a shed for the home team locker room on the southside.

@The Dock probably has a few other comments from his trips.