Favorite HS FB stadium?

Brooksie

Good morning all.

Several years ago, my best friend and I started what I called The Friday Night Express. Since all of our kids were finished with high school, we decided to just pick "a game" every week somewhere in Northeast Ohio and attend. It really became something to look forward to each season as we weren't being locked into watching our own schools same 7 or 8 opponents every season. We have seen some real duds of games and we have seen some thrilling finishes. Can't have one without the other.

Along the way, I have seen a number of really cool facilities our youngsters play in. I don't want to limit this to just NE Ohio, but I would like to hear what everyone's favorite places to see a game are. If you want to say why, that's cool too. I will start with a few of mine.

Griffin Stadium - Buchtel: I grew up back in the '60s on the west side of Akron. My brother and I would walk the half a dozen blocks to Buchtel for a Saturday afternoon game. There was a kind, older gentleman working the ticket gate who would see us, and when the time was right - he would let us into the game to watch for free. We both still love HS FB, and that man's discretion was a key reason why. We both looked up at the players then and thought they were the size of monsters. Great memories!

Green Street Stadium - SVSM: This is my current "home" stadium, but this facility is tied heavily into my family's history. My dad was V51. As a adolescent and high schooler, he was on the work crew that built the original stadium. A lot of my family's relatives were too. So there always is that special connection with family no longer with us when I go to Green Street. My daughter was a percussionist in the Marching Band in her high school years. Anyone who is or was a parent of a band member knows you become married to the concession stand during your child's time there. I met some lifelong friends through that.
Now when I go to the renovated and rebuilt stadium, it is even better. Once the sun sets, the panorama of the downtown Akron buildings is breathtaking. Make you appreciate how that stadium was shoehorned into a landlocked piece of real estate.

Alumni Stadium - Uniontown Lake: I have been here half a dozen times. I always liked how the natural landscape of a bowl was used for the seating. It insulates the players from the surroundings. I do remember watching a playoff game out here one year and being the coldest I have ever been. I could not stop my teeth from chattering.

Wildcat Stadium - Mogadore: If I had a top 3 list, this facility would definitely be included. When I read John Grisham's book "Bleachers" the mental image I had in my head was Mogadore. The entire Mogadore community embraces the Wildcat program. It seems like the entire town rolls the sidewalks up and comes to the stadium on Friday nights. Special.

JAG Field - Garretsville Garfield: Been here a couple of times. Again, I really dig the rural smaller school experience. JAG Field rises above Route 88, and its lights pierce the night sky. Let's just say the seating can be "intimate". But if memory serves me correctly, the concession stand serves "G Men Nachos" which are the absolute bomb - best I ever tasted.

There are many more - but I want to hear for the Yappi community. Have at it.

Chagrin Falls, Shaker Heights, Steubenville, Martins Ferry, Sebring McKinley, Toronto...

Lots of other great places as well.

I’m probably a bit biased, but the five best I’ve ever been to/played at:
-Fawcett (now Benson)
-Massillon PBTS
-Steubenville
-Dover
-New Phila

All of these have the full enclosed feel and lots of cool gimmicks. I’m not a fan of stadiums with the boring chain link fence on the outside like most have.

Pics! Want to see these cool stadiums.
Bob Wine Field, Lucas, Ohio

IMG_4260.JPG

1. PBTS
2. Green Street
3. Mogadore
4. Uniontown Lake
5. Steubenville

One that is kind of plain but that I always enjoy is Solon, primarily because that do such a great job with parking, concessions, security, etc.

Great topic! I'll do a top 5. Being from the western side of the state, I haven't seen everyone's stadiums. Not even close

5. Wapakoneta Harmon Field- So many memories occurred in this stadium for me. From 4 Overtimes vs St Henry back in 2009 to scoring twice In 10 seconds to knock off Lima Central Catholic. New home stands look nice. Would love to see new visitors stands to complete it.
Capacity: 6500

1652382564828.png

4. Stadium Park- Delphos always has plenty of seating and parking is usually not a hassle. Coldwater has had some great battles with St John's here over the years.
Capacity: 3900

1652382662113.png

3. Versailles Harry B. Hole Field- there's something to be said when you park on the south side of the stadium and you can look down the hill into the stadium. Quite a site if you've never been to MAC land. My favorite in the league.
Capacity: 2953

1652383597728.png

2. Sidney Memorial Stadium - plenty of seating and a nice atmosphere for playoff games.
Capacity: 7000

1. Piqua Alexander Stadium- Purk Field- I get excited when we get to play here. Not a bad seat in the house and the parking is close. Right off the highway.
Capacity: 8200

Pictures and capacities are from Ohiostadiums.com

Attachments

• 1652383683716.png
    1652383683716.png
    828.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 1652383865225.png
    1652383865225.png
    298.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Southeast District:

1. Lucasville Valley - Brick walls sets it off from a lot of newer stadiums - good parking
2. Portsmouth - great complex for all sports - football, baseball, softball, track, etc. - also the Ribber across the street
3. Jackson - the biggest of the local places - parking is the biggest problem - great seating
4. Ironton - historic stadium with two drawbacks - visitors side is not the best in the world but the home side is great (covered seating) and parking
5. Wheelersburg - the stands are close to the field (no track) and with good teams. Parking used to be an issue but since the old high school was torn down - no problem now.

The best I have been to .Division 1 schools S/W Ohio are
1-Mason
2-Springboro
3-Miamisburg
4-Piqua
5-Centerville
6-Fairmont

My smaller school favorites ,all very nice stadiums with good parking
1-Monroe
2-Eaton
3-Bellbrook
4-Franklin
5-Talawanda

PS For being a small school league the SWBL stadiums are as nice as it gets .

65_all-gyms_1024x577.jpg

I regret never seeing a game at Withrow when I lived in Hyde Park. It's like something out of a movie with the wrap-around end zone seats and the school looming overhead.

Mason is a complete athletic complex. Many D2 colleges and even some FCS schools would be envious of their whole setup. Both football grandstands are huge with an enclosed concrete concourse on the home side and boxes on both home and away. Entrances at both end zones make getting in and out a breeze.

I like seeing a game at Kings. A nice extra to make the entrance look like a drawbridge and all the castle architecture to go with their Knights nickname. I don't know of a high school stadium with a mascot tie-in quite like that.

DB5L66LWsAA5SAO

Also, the home side stands are tall and steep. If you're at the top row, you're really really up there. Good place if you like to have a stadium workout and climb the stairs.
DB5L66KWsAAslwN

To me there use to big the big 4 of PBTS (Massillon), Fawcett (Canton McKinley), The Pit (Elder), and Death Valley (Steubenville). Sorry to say the aesthetics of the New Benson stadium are not the same and I have dropped them from my list, (feels to "corporate" for a HS stadium).

More to come but the one that screams Ohio HS Football to me is Don Paul in Fremont. Home stands are the best seat for football in the state, (they are by far the steepest I have been to, going up the stairs is like climbing a ladder) and the location in a residential neighborhood is really cool. Only down side is the visitors stands are less than adequate, tighten that up and this place turns into a top 5 in my book.

CH9HU15WwAALpm6.jpg

Last edited:
I like stadiums where you can be up close without a track to create too much distance. I understand the need for tracks, they just make a stadium less appealing to me. Some that I can remember:

1. Wadsworth
2. Steubenville
3. Cuyahoga Falls
4. Coventry
5. Norton's old stadium
6. Massillon
7. Benson Stadium
8. Barberton

Glad you mentioned Sharkey Stadium in Barberton, Yappi. My nephew has very fond memories of a playoff game there in the mud. He was on the Hoban offensive line, and they defeated Buchtel when the Griffins imploded in the last 30 seconds of the game.

My brother and I attended a game there a couple of years ago when the Magics hosted the Aurora Greenmen. This was after the stadium had been upgraded to turf. I was impressed by the facility. Plenty of room, easy access to parking and the expressways. That was a successful project.

Before the renovation -
Barberton grass.jpg

With turf -
barberton turf.jpg

barberton turf2.jpg

This is where it all started for my buddy and me. We went up to Parma to see Ignatius take on Glenville. Great game. Wildcats win it in the last 20 seconds on a diving catch in the end zone.

Byers Field 1.jpg