Rock Hall Nominees for the Class of 2022

I don't get the hate for non Rock acts being inducted. In spirit, it should be looked at as the contemporary music hall of fame. More than anything else, having one catch-all hall of fame lifts the accomplishment. Segmenting the honor across different genres dilutes the accomplishment.

I draw a bit of a line at acts that are strictly performers being in the conversation. In my mind, the performer also needs to be a major, major part of the creative process when it comes to songwriting and/or instrumentation. Remember when Beck won Artist of the Year Grammy and Kanye came to Beyonce's defense saying Beck needed to respect artistry? Pleeeeease. Beck is 1000x the artist Beyonce will ever be. But Beyonce is the far better performer. There's a distinction.

I used to be on a landscape crew that hit up this area in college. We drove by the Bone house and paid appropriate tribute.
I worked a landscaping crew, and we put beautiful new sod on the lawns of newly built public housing at E 55th and Carnegie.

It looked great when we finished, I had never done sod before.

Then people moved in.

About 6 months later, I drove by and you could barely see the lawn due to all the trash on it.

I don't get the hate for non Rock acts being inducted. In spirit, it should be looked at as the contemporary music hall of fame. More than anything else, having one catch-all hall of fame lifts the accomplishment. Segmenting the honor across different genres dilutes the accomplishment.

I draw a bit of a line at acts that are strictly performers being in the conversation. In my mind, the performer also needs to be a major, major part of the creative process when it comes to songwriting and/or instrumentation. Remember when Beck won Artist of the Year Grammy and Kanye came to Beyonce's defense saying Beck needed to respect artistry? Pleeeeease. Beck is 1000x the artist Beyonce will ever be. But Beyonce is the far better performer. There's a distinction.
Maybe because it is called The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.

Just a wild guess.

I worked a landscaping crew, and we put beautiful new sod on the lawns of newly built public housing at E 55th and Carnegie.

It looked great when we finished, I had never done sod before.

Then people moved in.

About 6 months later, I drove by and you could barely see the lawn due to all the trash on it.
Yeah, we literally had to chain up equipment (tillers, etc.) whilst leaving for lunch. And believe it or not, after having planted small trees, we would come back the next day to see them ripped out of the ground and missing. I didn't know there was a market for second-hand saplings. Lol.

They need to build a different facility and call it the Museum of Modern Music to put all the non-rock act stuff in and leave the Rock Hall for rock music. And then maybe put some modern composers in like Hans Zimmer and John Williams.

And this should stop being an annual event or at least limit it to 2 acts max.

Last edited:
The rockabilly, old country, folk, singer-songwriter stuff like Dolly, James Taylor, Bob Dylan, Neil Diamond, Bruce Springsteen is similar to early, Buddy Holly, Ricky Nelson, Roy Orbison type of rock. Used to be labeled "soft rock". Rock isn't just stuff that sounds like The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Pink Floyd, Metallica, or Black Sabbath.

The Hall is really giving the stiff-arm to 90s alternative. Only Nirvana is in at this point. The likes of Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, and Smashing Pumpkins aren't getting much of a sniff, who I'd all put in ahead of RATM

Last edited:
They've watered it down so much that if I was an inductee I might withdraw. There should be maybe 25-30 bands in the rock-n-roll HALL OF FAME, tops. It is supposed to be a Hall of Fame, not a club for everyone who happened to pick up a guitar.

Troy Smith from cleveland.com addressed that question:

From the article:

Yet, one could argue the appeal (and, perhaps, point) of a Hall of Fame is its exclusivity. Many consider the Baseball Hall of Fame to be the gold standard for such institutions, primarily because of just how hard it is to get in.

Former baseball players are voted into the Hall of Fame by members of the Baseball Writers’ Association of America. But it isn’t as simple as who gets the most votes like the Rock Hall. At least 75 percent of those writers must agree on a baseball candidate. There’s also a 10-year eligibility limit for someone to get elected.

It’s quite an elaborate and transparent process with unbelievably high standards that make Rock Hall induction seem like a cakewalk. Consider the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is intent on inducting at least a half-dozen artists each year so it can put on a stellar ceremony, while the Baseball Hall of Fame has years where no one was elected.

So you don't think pop stars like Michael Jackson, Madonna, Whitney Houston, etc deserve to be in there either? ?

we get it. You want the R&R HoF to be 90% old dead white guys. Thankfully the committee itself does not agree
I don't think those are really rap or hip hop stars.

From what I’ve read about Grand Funk RR, they had 5 Gold albums, 2 that went Platinum. They supposedly sold out Shea Stadium faster than The Beatles. I know they weren’t the greatest musicians, but in the late 60’s and early 70’s they played alot of sold out shows, and their 1st 5 albums sold millions. To become radio friendly, they became a Pop band, but there are worse bands in the HOF. During this time, I was into Terry Kath’s Chicago, Traffic, 10 Years After, but I heard Grand Funk playing at parties I was at. Also totally agree on the MC5.

Those I would vote for>

Beck
Devo
Eminem
Eurythmics
Judas Priest
Pat Benatar

On the fence with Rage, they have the attitude thing down but not sure they have the depth of tunes to warrant an induction.
I agree, but there could come a time when Tom Morello gets consideration as an individual.

For what it's worth, Dolly Parton asked to be removed from the ballot and not considered for the hall:

Have to respect that - she's being honest with herself and voters.
Agreed.

They need to build a different facility and call it the Museum of Modern Music to put all the non-rock act stuff in and leave the Rock Hall for rock music. And then maybe put some modern composers in like Hans Zimmer and John Williams.

And this should stop being an annual event or at least limit it to 2 acts max.
That's why they over-reach, trying to put together a show.

Class is announced and it has an '80s vibe.

Eminem
Dolly Parton
Duran Duran
Lionel Richie
Pat Benatar
Eurythmics
Carly Simon

Of note, Judas Priest will receive the Honorable Mentionish Musical Excellence Award.

The big news is Dolly still gets the nod even after she asked to have her name removed. She is very cool so I would expect her to show up.

Class is announced and it has an '80s vibe.

Eminem
Dolly Parton
Duran Duran
Lionel Richie
Pat Benatar
Eurythmics
Carly Simon

Of note, Judas Priest will receive the Honorable Mentionish Musical Excellence Award.

The big news is Dolly still gets the nod even after she asked to have her name removed. She is very cool so I would expect her to show up.
I read the other day that Dolly said (prior to results being announced) she'd graciously accept it if the fans voted her in, so I would imagine she'll be there. Heck, she's probably about as much "rock" as Lionel Richie ;)

I didn't know she wrote that song.

I like Jolene better.
The song didn't win an Oscar for the Bodyguard because it wasn't written for that movie. It was originally performed by Dolly in a movie starring her, Burt Reynolds and Jim Nabors.