State Tournament - Division I

At 120 Joy came out on fire and scored two really quick takedowns. Avalos recovered and settled in nicely but could not hang on. The final seconds were fireworks as imagined.

At 126 Ayoub and Cernus looked as if they are pretty familiar with one another. Ayoub fought off a really nice takedown attempt in the 3rd in an incredible scramble.

Outside of 113lbs. all matches have been great.

Wilson 4 Ginter 0 after 1.

Wilson 6 Ginter 3 after 2.

132lbs. Ty Wilson (Dublin Scioto) 9 - Jeremy Ginter (Toledo Whitmer) 7.

Wilson was a hammer in the first. Solid takedown and riding. Gassed late to make it close.

Last edited:
Niffenegger 2 VanDyke 1 after 1.

Niffenegger 4 VanDyke 3 after 2.

Niffenegger starts 3rd on bottom.

138lbs. Jake Niffenegger (Lasalle) 5 - Dyvaire Van Dyke (Walsh Jesuit) 3.

Niffenegger is a bull. Solid and tough to score anything on that kid.

Last edited:
Blaze 0 Birden 0 after 1. Birden had a deep shot and could not finish. Amazing scramble.

144lbs. Joey Blaze (Perrysburg) 1 - Ethan Birden (Dublin Coffman) 0.

Amazing on Blaze's part. I believe he is made of rubber.

Last edited:
Denkins 0 Earnest 0 after 1.

Earnest 1 Denkins 0 after 2.

150lbs. Chris Earnest (Wadsworth) 4 - Wynton Denkins (Perrysburg) 2.

Was not that close actually as Earnest dominated the match IMO. Both got hit for stall warnings and Earnest got hit at the end.

Last edited:
165lbs. Evan Bennett (St. Edward) 6 - Myles Takats (Perrysburg) 5.

Tackats scores a late takedown in the 2nd and actually had Bennett rode out with 15 seconds left in the 3rd only to give up a reversal. Incredible.

Seals the deal in favor of Eds for team title.

Funny listening to the scorers table. Just one F bomb thus far so all in all not bad.

190lbs. Seth Shumate (Dublin Coffman) 7 - Camden McDaniel (Teays Valley) 4.

I missed the penalty to give McDaniel 4?

165lbs. Evan Bennett (St. Edward) 6 - Myles Takats (Perrysburg) 5.

Tackats scores a late takedown in the 2nd and actually had Bennett rode out with 15 seconds left in the 3rd only to give up a reversal. Incredible.

Seals the deal in favor of Eds for team title.

Was looking forward to this bout. Tackats beat Bennett 1-0 in last week's District Final.

Nice detective work. The Blaze family moved to Perrysburgh 3+ years ago. Not a secret. Well documented. So what?
So you're saying it was just a rumor....

I knew I should not have commented on something I saw in a post for a rival wrestling site and then saw it was being repeated here. May be the same person - don't know the identity of the person that made the comment here. But I do know who made the other comment.

I also knew it didn't make sense they could be living in Clinton, Mich. and commuting to P'burg unless there was some unusual situation involved. Didn't even think it could have been an off-handed comment about them not growing up in Perrysburg - if that was what was meant to be conveyed. Kind of a stupid comment to make, but I took the bait.

So it's an established lie - or should I say misinformation. Good to know. Won't be making that mistake again.

Last edited:
So you're saying it was just a rumor....

I knew I should not have commented on something I saw in a post for a rival wrestling site and then saw it was being repeated here. May be the same person - don't know the identity of the person that made the comment here. But I do know who made the other comment.

I also knew it didn't make sense they could be living in Clinton, Mich. and commuting to P'burg unless there was some unusual situation involved. Didn't even think it could have been an off-handed comment about them not growing up in Perrysburg - if that was what was meant to be conveyed. Kind of a stupid comment to make, but I took the bait.

So it's an established lie - or should I say misinformation. Good to know. Won't be making that mistake again.
Too bad you cant enjoy a great wrestling tournament.

My money is St. Ed's again next year. And i'm not from Cleveland.
Others than Geog who graduates, I was more impressed with Perrysburg finalists, but not necessarily the team as a whole. The 106 bout was the least impressive and I could see both of them not making the finals next year, just a weak ( relative) year at D1 106 IMO. The Miller brothers from Ed's are going to be really good, lots of talk about the "Blaze" brothers......but those two ( Millers) are going to score a lot of points for Ed's the next 3 years, I could see Slaper ....Eaton...Brown, really coming on too . Not sure Perrysburg is going to have it any easier next year...then they lose the older Blaze.

Others than Geog who graduates, I was more impressed with Perrysburg finalists, but not necessarily the team as a whole. The 106 bout was the least impressive and I could see both of them not making the finals next year, just a weak ( relative) year at D1 106 IMO. The Miller brothers from Ed's are going to be really good, lots of talk about the "Blaze" brothers......but those two ( Millers) are going to score a lot of points for Ed's the next 3 years, I could see Slaper ....Eaton...Brown, really coming on too . Not sure Perrysburg is going to have it any easier next year...then they lose the older Blaze.
They don’t lose Blaze. He’s a Junior.
I’m confident in predicting is that these two super freshman will not be at 106lb next year and that they will continue to grow and improve and I’d bet you my kidney that they will both stand on that podium a few more times in their careers. Both great kids and unbelievably talented.

They don’t lose Blaze. He’s a Junior.
I’m confident in predicting is that these two super freshman will not be at 106lb next year and that they will continue to grow and improve and I’d bet you my kidney that they will both stand on that podium a few more times in their careers. Both great kids and unbelievably talented.
I mentioned they lose the older Blaze "after next year". No doubt they will be bigger than 106 both huge 106 pounders. "Super" freshman ....are ranked in the top 25 at least or higher. Have a cadet championship, or high finish in FS , make a world team .Place in the Ironman etc. Of course they both will improve as most freshman. I'm sure they're fine young men.

I mentioned they lose the older Blaze "after next year". No doubt they will be bigger than 106 both huge 106 pounders. "Super" freshman ....are ranked in the top 25 at least or higher. Have a cadet championship, or high finish in FS , make a world team .Place in the Ironman etc. Of course they both will improve as most freshman. I'm sure they're fine young men.
Oh, that’s the old142 standard. World team, Fargo champ, got it.

For what it’s worth, Evans was too young to wrestle at Fargo last year, but was undefeated on the U14 National Duals team.

Butler AA’d in U16 Greco in Fargo

Give the young pups some credit.

Last edited:
I believe Perrysburg has some very good kids coming in as their Jr. High team is solid. I believe Burnett's son will be joining the team in a year or two (Grey?).

Burnett is a special HS coach. Kids believe in him and he believes in them. He is intense yet genuine. And like all great coaches kids seem to grow exponentially under his tutelage.

Last edited: