Youngstown Cardinal Mooney in 2022

Is their head coach still the guy that beat the crap out of his wife with his 2 young children in the house?

If Mooney goes to D6, the bigger schools will start dropping them. The image of the old Mooney will go away. Unfortunately, this has been the trend for many Catholic schools over the past 60 years.
Sadly. They will probably be D6 this year I'd say unless CB numbers have them in 5 still

Mooney's CB was pretty high last count, and a similar number would put them just barely into D5. They are a border school for sure.

If Mooney goes to D6, the bigger schools will start dropping them. The image of the old Mooney will go away. Unfortunately, this has been the trend for many Catholic schools over the past 60 years.
The catholics have been hit hard but that is true for a lot of schools in Ohio. Very few districts are growing. The vast majority are shrinking.

The catholics have been hit hard but that is true for a lot of schools in Ohio. Very few districts are growing. The vast majority are shrinking.
That depends. Here in Cincy St. Xavier is at 1500 boys with a waiting list. Both Purcell Marian & McNicholas had substantial growth in recent years. And Roger Bacon is at capacity. Chaminade-Julienne ("CJ") in Dayton is very healthy. Youngstown has lost over 60% of its population. Grads go off to college and don't come back to send their kids to their alma mater. Ursuline's at 468, largest it's been in decades. There are far too many factors to list as to what's happening and where. Ytown's light years removed from the mid-60s when both parochials had near 1800 students each.

That depends. Here in Cincy St. Xavier is at 1500 boys with a waiting list. Both Purcell Marian & McNicholas had substantial growth in recent years. And Roger Bacon is at capacity. Chaminade-Julienne ("CJ") in Dayton is very healthy. Youngstown has lost over 60% of its population. Grads go off to college and don't come back to send their kids to their alma mater. Ursuline's at 468, largest it's been in decades. There are far too many factors to list as to what's happening and where. Ytown's light years removed from the mid-60s when both parochials had near 1800 students each.
Certain areas of the state are doing well ie Cincinnati and Columbus. Other schools like Eds and Iggy will continue to keep steady woth enrollment. Other parts of the state are shrinking. The Mahoning Valley doesn't have a D1 school anymore and enrollment is dropping across the valley or staying the same at best.

Sad to see a once great program like this now.
Indeed. Many great programs are no more. Think of Youngstown South, Warren Western Reserve, Cleveland Cathedral Latin, & Youngstown Rayen just for starters. Cleveland St. Joseph once stood on its own as did Cincinnati Purcell & Dayton Chaminade. All things must pass...will Cardinal Mooney join these august programs? The next few years will tell.

You
Indeed. Many great programs are no more. Think of Youngstown South, Warren Western Reserve, Cleveland Cathedral Latin, & Youngstown Rayen just for starters. Cleveland St. Joseph once stood on its own as did Cincinnati Purcell & Dayton Chaminade. All things must pass...will Cardinal Mooney join these august programs? The next few years will tell.
Given the population decline in Youngstown it will be very difficult for Mooney to be competitive with DI and D2 teams again but Mooney could be a good D5 team like Kirkland or Coldwater.

Gosh. I hope not. Much respect for Mooney!

If Mooney goes D6, I could see WGH, Boardman, Fitch, and Steubenville dropping Mooney. I hate seeing Mooney like this, a once-proud program is in this state. What is the highest division Mooney was in and what year was it?

If Mooney goes D6, I could see WGH, Boardman, Fitch, and Steubenville dropping Mooney. I hate seeing Mooney like this, a once-proud program is in this state. What is the highest division Mooney was in and what year was it?
Mooney was in AAA, and D1, back in the 70's.

Ursuline was in the same boat a few years ago struggling to get wins. Mooney will be back. It might take a couple of years but they will be back.
This would maybe have been true 10-15 years ago, but I no longer think so. There has been a back and forth pendulum swing between which of the two schools will "survive" for the past three decades, but I think the fate of Mooney is close to sealed at this point. Ursuline wins the war of attrition because it has invested heavily in its academic programs the past decade and the location of both schools have become a more important factor than it has ever been. Factor in a number of mistakes on the part of Mooney leadership, too. Once I started seeing a number of prominent Mooney alumni sending their kids to Wick Ave, I knew the end might be near.

This would maybe have been true 10-15 years ago, but I no longer think so. There has been a back and forth pendulum swing between which of the two schools will "survive" for the past three decades, but I think the fate of Mooney is close to sealed at this point. Ursuline wins the war of attrition because it has invested heavily in its academic programs the past decade and the location of both schools have become a more important factor than it has ever been. Factor in a number of mistakes on the part of Mooney leadership, too. Once I started seeing a number of prominent Mooney alumni sending their kids to Wick Ave, I knew the end might be near.
It will ultimately be decided by Bishop Bonner. That's the way the system works. Pay close attention to Mooney's enrollment numbers for '22-'23 to see if they continue to bleed and Ursuline continues to grow. Ultimately parents don't decide on a school based on their past football win/loss records. Certainly not in this day and age. I know several Diocesan priests who believe that a big chunk of Mooney's decline has been its great football tradition. Some clergy have referred to CM in the past as a "football factory." A number of years ago, I personally knew pastors at certain southside and Struthers/Poland Catholic parishes who hit the roof when they found out that CM was showing mandatory game films on Sunday mornings. That kind of thing catches up with you eventually. Ursuline's investment in academics has paid off. The tail should never wag the dog.

It will ultimately be decided by Bishop Bonner. That's the way the system works. Pay close attention to Mooney's enrollment numbers for '22-'23 to see if they continue to bleed and Ursuline continues to grow. Ultimately parents don't decide on a school based on their past football win/loss records. Certainly not in this day and age. I know several Diocesan priests who believe that a big chunk of Mooney's decline has been its great football tradition. Some clergy have referred to CM in the past as a "football factory." A number of years ago, I personally knew pastors at certain southside and Struthers/Poland Catholic parishes who hit the roof when they found out that CM was showing mandatory game films on Sunday mornings. That kind of thing catches up with you eventually. Ursuline's investment in academics has paid off. The tail should never wag the dog.
Much may be true, but the decline of the area surrounding the school is also a big factor. Plenty of people just don’t feel it is safe to send their kids to Mooney. Especially those kids where they can get a great education at Poland, Canfield, South Range, Boardman and Struthers in a safer environment

Mooney is doing good in hoops. They are still alive in the tournament. Maybe they can become a basketball power. Lol
Reardon helps Ursuline not academics. Without reardon there they were horrible. He’s the reason they are good

Reardon helps Ursuline not academics. Without reardon there they were horrible. He’s the reason they are good
I was referring to the current stability and growth of Ursuline as a school, not as as a football team (although you are right in that that quality education and safe neighborhoods impact athletics on all levels.) I'm an Ursuline guy but I know that our intense rivalry with Mooney and theirs with us since 1958 has made both of our programs better for it. I hate to see what's happening to an institution with such a rich reputation falter.

I was referring to the current stability and growth of Ursuline as a school, not as as a football team (although you are right in that that quality education and safe neighborhoods impact athletics on all levels.) I'm an Ursuline guy but I know that our intense rivalry with Mooney and theirs with us since 1958 has made both of our programs better for it. I hate to see what's happening to an institution with such a rich reputation falter.
It helps schools like Ursuline and Mooney when your sport teams are doing well, it attracts students, now that Mooney is horrible they are losing students at a record pace

I heard back in the 60s and 70s the attendance at the Mooney Ursuline game would be in excess of 10,000.
10,000 was low from '50s thru '70s. 17,500 fans attended Mooney-Ursuline at South in 1967. Two Sunday afternoon games ('70 & '71) saw around 12,000 at Rayen. Fans went to THE game instead of staying home to watch the pros on TV.