Are you a true West Sider??

they just finished a huge student/rec center with indoor turf and the gym is newer as well.

jtk
()

they just finished a huge student/rec center with indoor turf and the gym is newer as well.

jtk
()
Yes and it's quite nice.

I do think that facility had too little forethought...... .they should have made the turf field a full size football field. You can then rent to Bengals or other organizations. With that type of facility and their outdoor stadium, possible convince Bengals to have training camp there, at least some of their days.

I have been told that the funeral home was the oldest building in Covedale (can't officially confirm if accurate). Regardless, it's quite an old building that's been family owned for generations and has historical importance to the community. Sad situation all the way around.

I have been told that the funeral home was the oldest building in Covedale (can't officially confirm if accurate). Regardless, it's quite an old building that's been family owned for generations and has historical importance to the community. Sad situation all the way around.
This maybe accurate. The Auditors website says the building was built in 1899. It also says a Meyer has owned the property since 1941. My 90 yr old Grandma said that building has been there as long as she can remember.

This maybe accurate. The Auditors website says the building was built in 1899. It also says a Meyer has owned the property since 1941. My 90 yr old Grandma said that building has been there as long as she can remember.
I know the business is currently in 5th generation, family owned. Obviously not always at that location. I did think that building was built by a Meyer, but maybe not

I did not realize that the building was that old given the façade and portico added to the building, but, I just looked closely at a picture and can see that there was an "American Gothic" type Victorian home underneath all of those additions. Too bad.

JTM is expanding their operations in Harrison. https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinn...llion-jtm-project-could-get-hamilton-cou.html
Hamilton County commissioners will soon consider an incentive package for a new, $55.2 million expansion by the JTM Provisions Company in Harrison.

JTM is building a new 60,000 square foot addition to their existing facility at 200 Industrial Drive. Hamilton County commissioners are expected to approve an enterprise zone agreement. It will allow a 75% property tax exemption on its new property investments for 10 years.

The project includes an additional production line and increased infrastructure that will help it on all of its other two production lines.

The project includes $15.2 million to build the addition and $40 million in capital investments for new machinery and equipment. JTM has been in Harrison since 1980, starting with a 2,000-square-foot facility.

There was bad news from City Hall last week in the effort to save the Schulte Mansion. It was the Gamble House all over again. Other (even better ) alternatives were located for the Boys and Girls Club, a substitute buyer was located so that Radel would be made whole and the neighborhood spoke very loudly to save the mansion. To no avail. The neighborhood was ignored again.

This is just another example of the contempt in which the westside is held by Plum Street, and how westsiders (in this case Radel) sell out the neighborhood, when they can make a buck doing so.

There was bad news from City Hall last week in the effort to save the Schulte Mansion. It was the Gamble House all over again. Other (even better ) alternatives were located for the Boys and Girls Club, a substitute buyer was located so that Radel would be made whole and the neighborhood spoke very loudly to save the mansion. To no avail. The neighborhood was ignored again.

This is just another example of the contempt in which the westside is held by Plum Street, and how westsiders (in this case Radel) sell out the neighborhood, when they can make a buck doing so.
I wonder if Radel would have accepted a higher offer for the property?

I wonder if Radel would have accepted a higher offer for the property?
He refused. They had a signed contract and the Boys and Girls Club threatened him if he attempted to get out of it. There were many lies told about how long the property was on the market and why the neighborhood didn't show a prior interest. Well the truth is a sign was never postede and the property was placed under contract before the neighbors even knew it was for sale.

The truth is that the Boys and Girls Club wanted the property that is committed to the brewery/restaurant that is being developed across from Elder. They are pissed off that they did not get it and are sticking it to the neighborhood in response. The old sears building was offered to them for a song, which would save them a ton of money and would be better for their intended purpose, but they refused every offered alternative. Just bring the Radel property to street grade will cost them a fortune.

The Boys and Girls Club is a worthy organization from the standpoint of what they do for youth, but they are very bad neighbors, and they couldn't care less.

He refused. They had a signed contract and the Boys and Girls Club threatened him if he attempted to get out of it. There were many lies told about how long the property was on the market and why the neighborhood didn't show a prior interest. Well the truth is a sign was never postede and the property was placed under contract before the neighbors even knew it was for sale.

The truth is that the Boys and Girls Club wanted the property that is committed to the brewery/restaurant that is being developed across from Elder. They are pissed off that they did not get it and are sticking it to the neighborhood in response. The old sears building was offered to them for a song, which would save them a ton of money and would be better for their intended purpose, but they refused every offered alternative. Just bring the Radel property to street grade will cost them a fortune.

The Boys and Girls Club is a worthy organization from the standpoint of what they do for youth, but they are very bad neighbors, and they couldn't care less.
Mr. Radel had a signed contract with anyone shouldn’t he keep that agreement? Stinks that a worthy non profit doing great things for the youth are crappy neighbors.

Price Hill Will is trying to put together an 11th hour plan to save the former Schulte mansion by moving the building to another location.

Earlier this month, it seemed certain West Price Hill's Schulte Mansion would be demolished to pave the way for a new Boys & Girls Clubs teen jobs center, disappointing those in the neighborhood who wanted to preserve the 1882 building.

Now neighborhood leaders in conjunction with Price Hill Will, a nonprofit neighborhood development corporation, have brought forward a plan to move the former funeral home from Glenway and Dewey avenues to a nearby vacant lot.

Under the scenario, the Gilded Age building would still be part of the neighborhood's business district, and the jobs center could still be built near the Boys & Girls Clubs' main campus, saving the clubs any demolition costs

The plan hinges on the neighborhood and Price Hill Will coming up with the estimated $225,000 to $275,000 needed to move the mansion – and the consent of the Boys & Girls Clubs, which is buying the building.

That explanation sounds like Me. Radel shouldn’t be accused of greed. If he was motivated by greed he would have advertised the property and waited for the highest offer. Sounds more likely he liked the Boys Club plan and wanted to help them accomplish it. You may not agree with his decision but it doesn’t sound like he sold out the neighborhood for greed.

Mr. Radel had a signed contract with anyone shouldn’t he keep that agreement? Stinks that a worthy non profit doing great things for the youth are crappy neighbors.
He had an out and the Boys and Girls Club would have gone along with it had they wanted to work with the community. It does "stink" that a group that does so much good, completely ignores the wishes of their neighbors. For some reason it has been so from the very start of their relationship with West Price Hill. They even fought the neighborhood over putting windows on the Glenway side when they built their current building so that it would look marginally less ugly than as it was planned.

Radel had an out. He refused to work with the West Price Hill Community Council, Price Hill Will and The Port Authority. As did the Boys and Girls Club. There was a plan to accommodate the Boys and Girls Club expansion, make Radel whole and preserve a historic building for the benefit of the neighborhood. Why did Radel and the Boys and Girl Club refuse to work with those organizations? I believe it is spite and ego. Its a shame. This would have never happened on the Eastside of town.

Last edited:
That explanation sounds like Me. Radel shouldn’t be accused of greed. If he was motivated by greed he would have advertised the property and waited for the highest offer. Sounds more likely he liked the Boys Club plan and wanted to help them accomplish it. You may not agree with his decision but it doesn’t sound like he sold out the neighborhood for greed.
Well, he certainly sold out the neighborhood. The very people who have supported his family for generations and made him a wealthy man. The Boys and Girls Club expansion was never threatened, despite the lies of the Boys and Girls Club lobbyists. There were in fact better and less expensive options offered. They just have contempt for the middleclass and working people of West Price Hill.

Well, he certainly sold out the neighborhood.

I happen to think we as a society are far too quick to tear down older buildings that have historic character. But I'm curious as to why this particular building is so important. I drive past it often on my way home from work and I don't know that I'd notice if it was gone.

I also understand you feel the B&G Club is a bad neighbor so I'm wondering why you think that and why these groups think their perspective should supersede the club and the owner of the building. I get a NIMBY (or "Main Street" of the neighborhood) vibe from this and I hope I'm wrong.

What is the plan for the Schulte Mansion if it is saved?
Price Hill Will is prepared to purchase it and market it for development. It had been shopped around to several possible users already. With the development of historic buildings a block away, more development opportunities would open up in the near future.

I happen to think we as a society are far too quick to tear down older buildings that have historic character. But I'm curious as to why this particular building is so important. I drive past it often on my way home from work and I don't know that I'd notice if it was gone.

I also understand you feel the B&G Club is a bad neighbor so I'm wondering why you think that and why these groups think their perspective should supersede the club and the owner of the building. I get a NIMBY (or "Main Street" of the neighborhood) vibe from this and I hope I'm wrong.
How can it be NIMBY when properties have been offered to them for their development within a block or two of this same parcel? NIMBY was one of the lies promoted by the Boys and Girls Club lobbyists to slander the people of West Price Hill. The fact is that they were welcomed into the neighborhood when they moved up from Lower Price Hill and their planned expansion has also been welcomed by the neighborhood. In response to neighborhood outreach, we have received nothing but dismissiveness and scorn. Its as if the Boys and Girls Club only see half of the neighborhood and disregard everyone they do not directly serve.

It's sad that this is happening the way it is. However, to say this wouldn't happen on the East Side is not accurate. The east side is filled with brand new extremely modern looking buildings that don't fit their historic neighborhoods at all. It's all over Hyde Park, Mt. Lookout, Oakley and making its way into Madisonville.

I am a huge fan of old buildings, especially old homes.... Price Hill is filled with so many wonderfully designed homes from a historical standpoint. Driving up and down the streets I love looking at all the homes that are all completely different, in a good way.

Now, I realize that I am probably being naive, but I don't get what the fuss is about with this building. Great, I get it's old; but in my not expert opinion at all, it's kind of ugly, and is situated awkwardly sort of on top of that old auto shop. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's worth saving. What am I missing? To compare this building to the old Gamble House is not anywhere close to the same. The Gamble House was incredible. I would be more pressed to preserve the historical character of the homes in the residential areas and get the dilapidated ones up to par with what they should be.

Now, I realize that I am probably being naive, but I don't get what the fuss is about with this building. Great, I get it's old; but in my not expert opinion at all, it's kind of ugly, and is situated awkwardly sort of on top of that old auto shop. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's worth saving. What am I missing?
That's my feeling, too.

The reason we're in this situation and there's any chance the Boys and Girls Club can go forward with their plans to tear down the building is that the Cincinnati Historic Conversation Board found that the building has been so significantly modified over the years that it's lost most of its historical significance.