Rumors about the SWBL expansion to 12 teams...

Bless Em All

Rumors are swirling that the SWBL is adding Ross and Edgewood.
This would make the SWBL division 2-3 heavy leaving the smaller schools out in the cold.
Any word on this being legit?

Id imagine their going to move Ross, Edgewood, Franklin, Monroe, Bellbrook and possibly Eaton to one side and the rest in the other division ?‍♂️

The MVC use to do something I thought was cool. If you finished last in the big school side you moved to small school side following year, if you finished 1st on small school side you moved up following year. Could work in this situation.

I would like to see the new schools and have a resurrection of a NEW MML

Let see how interested West Carrollton, Miamisburg, and Springboro are in a reunion and its game on! Seriously though, I would like to see something like the old MML with Bellbrook, Franklin, Monroe added.

i would like to see the old MML but Miamisburg and springboro will never leave the gwoc and Well WC needs to figure it out. They need a hard nose coach to turn around that program. I can say the small schools in the swbl are very isolated at this point.

I think the small schools, Carlisle, Madison, Waynesville and Brookville will leave for other conferences and that is just what the conference wanted. So, let's look at the SWBL from the standpoint of just larger schools...
Eaton
Valley View
Franklin
Monroe
Oakwood
Edgewood
Ross
Bellbrook
Clinton Massie
Wilmington
Leave it at 10 teams and that opens up more non-conference games. It's a more balanced league at that point. Eaton and Oakwood could decide to bolt with the other smaller schools. Eaton to Wilmington or CM is a haul.
Brookville will, at that point, jump on the TRC. They would be crazy not to. They could replace Lehman or the TRC could add Oakwood if it wanted. Dograt, thoughts?

TRC could be;
Bethel
Brookville
Covington
Miami East
Milton-Union
Northridge
Riverside
Troy Christian
Lehman? maybe just for other sports except football?

The SWBL would be a great conference in that lineup. All D2-3 schools.

I heard the TRC already reached out to Carlisle and Madison and was going to form a south division but not sure what happened with the talks. But I think the small school should start their own league in my opinion

I think the small schools, Carlisle, Madison, Waynesville and Brookville will leave for other conferences and that is just what the conference wanted. So, let's look at the SWBL from the standpoint of just larger schools...
Eaton
Valley View
Franklin
Monroe
Oakwood
Edgewood
Ross
Bellbrook
Clinton Massie
Wilmington
Leave it at 10 teams and that opens up more non-conference games. It's a more balanced league at that point. Eaton and Oakwood could decide to bolt with the other smaller schools. Eaton to Wilmington or CM is a haul.
Brookville will, at that point, jump on the TRC. They would be crazy not to. They could replace Lehman or the TRC could add Oakwood if it wanted. Dograt, thoughts?

TRC could be;
Bethel
Brookville
Covington
Miami East
Milton-Union
Northridge
Riverside
Troy Christian

If the TRC is going down to Dayton to find a new school, I think Dayton Christian would be a fit. They play football in a Cincinnati conference I believe. While their football isn't always great I don't think they are ever in danger of not fielding a team. And they are competitive in other sports. And the rest of their sports are in a pretty weak league.

I know this is more of swbl, but what happens to the swoc in regards to harrison, talawanda, mt. healthy and northwest? assume healthy and northwest go to cps?

I see swbl splitting into two divisions of big and small.

BlessEmAll:
SWBL needs to figure out what size schools it wants to be involved with. There is too big of a range right now. Either go smaller and lose Bellbrook, Franklin and Monroe, or go bigger and lose Madison, Carlisle, and possibly Waynesville. Waynesville is interesting because they could compete in some sports maybe not football consistently. Brookville is interesting because they seem to be very rooted in "tradition". I think they should leave the SWBL if the league goes bigger, I'm just not sure they will.

If Brookville does look elsewhere, the TRC is an obvious choice. I wouldn't kick out Lehman or Troy Christian to make it happen, but both of those schools concern me with football numbers. If one of them drops football, Brookville would be my #1 choice to replace them (followed by Fort Loramie, Greenon and Northwestern.) I don't see Oakwood as a TRC school.

Your statement about the SWBL being all D2-3 schools though...VV and Eaton are d4. I think Eaton will balk at being the smallest school.

Last edited:
I heard the TRC already reached out to Carlisle and Madison and was going to form a south division but not sure what happened with the talks. But I think the small school should start their own league in my opinion
Pretty sure that is false. It happened the other way around. Madison and Carlisle reached out to the TRC.
Nothing came of it.
the TRC is half a year in. they aren't reaching out to anyone. They are still seeing how everything works.

I know this is more of swbl, but what happens to the swoc in regards to harrison, talawanda, mt. healthy and northwest? assume healthy and northwest go to cps?

I see swbl splitting into two divisions of big and small.
Good question. Not sure where Talawanda goes?

Harrisons only hope would be joining the ECC?

MH and NW likely go to CPS league or possibly CHL? I'm hearing girls sports were a big issue with these two and the swoc

VV will compete in football but I'm not sure they would be competitive in other sports. If they go bigger Eaton almost has to look at going elsewhere. Year in and year out they will struggle with that schedule.

Good question. Not sure where Talawanda goes?

Harrisons only hope would be joining the ECC?

MH and NW likely go to CPS league or possibly CHL? I'm hearing girls sports were a big issue with these two and the swoc

NWLSD just needs to combine Colerain and Northwest into one high school. That would solve the issue of no league for Northwest.

TRC could be;
Bethel
Brookville
Covington
Miami East
Milton-Union
Northridge
Riverside
Troy Christian

Why do you want to punish poor little Riverside?! :'(

IMO Brookville to TRC is a lock. TRC added Brookville and Dayton Christian would be smart. 10 teams

Madison and Carlisle are an issue. Logistically they don't fit in TRC. You could argue the WOAC but I think the WOAC is just fine with the teams they have. No expansion needed.

They may need to get together and talk about making their own at this point. Its fun to toss out names but SWBL has a problem to fix..

Madison
Carisle
Talawanda
Waynesville?

IMO Brookville to TRC is a lock. TRC added Brookville and Dayton Christian would be smart. 10 teams

Madison and Carlisle are an issue. Logistically they don't fit in TRC. You could argue the WOAC but I think the WOAC is just fine with the teams they have. No expansion needed.

They may need to get together and talk about making their own at this point. Its fun to toss out names but SWBL has a problem to fix..

Madison
Carisle
Talawanda
Waynesville?
I still say Madison to the MVC Scarlett

Carlisle would fit in the WOAC footprint but I bet if the MVC sent an invitation, they'd strongly consider it. Probably also the Scarlett tier.

That isn't good news for the small schools and well I can think of a few of the other schools that should be upset about this. But hey maybe they will add those small schools that I heard they offered. Think of the crossover game nightmares for small schools.

So if everyone stays you have 12 teams.

Bigs:
Edgewood
Ross
Bellbrook
Franklin
Monroe
Eaton ?

Smalls:
Valley View
Carlisle
Madison
Waynesville
Brookville
Oakwood ?

Looks pretty strong to me. Why would Madison and Carlisle want out of that.

I don't see much upside for the TRC in going from 8 to 10. 10 is a bad league number IMO. Expansion only makes sense if the league has interest in going to 12, i.e. you need three good fits to go along if wanting to bring in Brookville.

The WOAC is already sitting on that 12 number with 10 football members. I don't see them making any additions.

Some of these smaller SWBL schools may be up a creek without a paddle in regards to league affiliation. Madison and Carlisle may have to go towards Cincinnati if they want out.

Bigs:
Edgewood
Ross
Bellbrook
Franklin
Monroe
Eaton ?

Smalls:
Valley View
Carlisle
Madison
Waynesville
Brookville
Oakwood ?

This is going to be a nightmare in crossover play. Just way too much size discrepancy and potential for growth for the bigger schools. Edgewood is already D2 in football, and the four schools that are D3 will all likely be at least knocking on the door of being D2 by the end of the decade. The future for those five probably looks like being small to mid size D2 in football and smaller D1 in all other sports.

The only way this might be able to work for more than a few years is if the divisions are effectively run as separate leagues or if some of the smaller schools can't find anywhere else to go.

Bigs:
Edgewood
Ross
Bellbrook
Franklin
Monroe
Eaton ?

Smalls:
Valley View
Carlisle
Madison
Waynesville
Brookville
Oakwood ?

The league set up is 7 & 5. The divisions do not change, add Edgewood and Ross to the current East and that's your split. Not a guess