• Princeton (8-6)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Middletown (9-13)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lakota West (16-9)

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nice victory for the Vikings over Princeton. The Middies losing to Allen East isn't very good unless Allen East is somehow a D4 power this year.

Looking at the box score it looks like Fairfield continues to not know how to keep a lead on a decent team. A 15 point lead at half ends in a 1 point win.

GMC Power:
Fairfield-Big game Jan. 4th, will not be shocked with a Sycamore win. If they don't play for 4 qtrs. some league losses coming.
Sycamore-Guard play will determine their ability to win the league.
East-Need to improve in a couple areas.
Gap
Princeton-Improving and will scare the top 3, but no wins.
West-Average, will they improve is the question, I say no.
Middletown-Bad loss to Allen East. .500 Team
Hamilton-I really don't know. Wonder about how they fit the pieces together.
Mason-ECC Team
Oak Hills-SWOC Team
Colerain-Football Team

Sycamore just annihilated Sarasota High 73-30 in their tournament in Florida. Likely going to play SLAM Academy in their next game. While they have multiple D1 recruits, they are not even a real high school, and I hope Sycamore kicks the living crap out of them. They should also be Sycamore's only competition in this tournament.

Sycamore just annihilated Sarasota High 73-30 in their tournament in Florida. Likely going to play SLAM Academy in their next game. While they have multiple D1 recruits, they are not even a real high school, and I hope Sycamore kicks the living crap out of them. They should also be Sycamore's only competition in this tournament.
Well, SLAM was just upset by Charlotte High School from Punta Gorda, FL, so that's who Sycamore will play next. Charlotte is 5-6 in Florida 5A (out of 6A). Their roster doesn't list anyone over 6-4, and there are not D1 recruits as far as I can tell. Should be a matchup where Sycamore will roll tomorrow at 4:30.

Been thinking on this the last few days. I believe the teams after East, Fairfield, and Sycamore are a lot better than we all have given them credit for. Matter of fact, I think Cincinnati as a whole is a lot better than it's been in recent years, which I think is why all of us are underestimating the middle of the pack in the GMC as we watch them playing specifically the GCL and Walnut Hills.

With all that said, Princeton, West, and even Middletown and Mason are pretty darn good. For comparison, you can match them up with anyone in Dayton, minus Centerville, and they will probably win. Hamilton should be good but for whatever reason they are a trainwreck right now. Oak Hills and Colerain are normal bottom of the league bad.

Anyways, just my thoughts going into January.

Been thinking on this the last few days. I believe the teams after East, Fairfield, and Sycamore are a lot better than we all have given them credit for. Matter of fact, I think Cincinnati as a whole is a lot better than it's been in recent years, which I think is why all of us are underestimating the middle of the pack in the GMC as we watch them playing specifically the GCL and Walnut Hills.

With all that said, Princeton, West, and even Middletown and Mason are pretty darn good. For comparison, you can match them up with anyone in Dayton, minus Centerville, and they will probably win. Hamilton should be good but for whatever reason they are a trainwreck right now. Oak Hills and Colerain are normal bottom of the league bad.

It’s going to be a wild January in the GMC, my friend

I agree except for Mason. They’re not good.

There was an online stream of Sycamore’s game today that I watched, and Sarasota High (2,200 enrollment in Florida 6A) looked like they had never seen a team sit down and play man-to-man defense with rotating help-side and length. They literally couldn’t score. Sycamore played their bench the entire 2nd half and Sarasota only scored 30. It’s amazing how poor fundamentally and defensively these out-of-state teams are.

I have no evidence of this, but I would assume that North Charlotte did zero game film review or scouting of Lakota West whatsoever, letting Dudukovich be wide open every time down. That’s literally inexcusable when you play West and is something that would never happen in Cincinnati-area basketball.

I did see that Colerain lost to Notthwest 49-41. At Harrison or Oak Hills at home will be their only remaining chances for a win.

In my mind, there are two years that stick out for the GMC being extremely deep, and they also happen to be the last two years that a GMC team won the state championship. Those years are 1992 and 2004 (the years immediately on either side of these years were also very deep, 91, 93, 03, 05, and 06 the league was very good).

In 1992, Keith Gregor (multi-year starter at Cincinnati) led Lakota to an overtime victory in the state championship game over Greg Simpson (2x Mr. Basketball and Ohio State star) and Lima Senior (Dudokovich’s dad was also on that Lakota team). Lakota finished 4th in the GMC that year and was 24-4 overall. Lima Senior finished 2nd and was 21-6. Hamilton and Chris Kingsbury (McDonald’s All-American and played at Iowa) won the league. Middletown and JJ Lucas (Jerry’s 6-10 son that played at Vanderbilt) finished 3rd.

In 2004, Hamilton won the league and won the state championship, but they did have 2 league losses to Princeton and Lakota West. Hamilton had 3 D1 players in Brandon Lampley, Billy Allen, and Jason Miller and a 5-star football recruit in Adam Myers-White (who was league POY). 2nd place Princeton featured D1 players in Mark Dortis and Ross Morin. 3rd place Lakota West had a D1 in Josh Chichester. 4th place Oak Hills had 2 future D1 juniors that didn’t even start. 5th place Lakota East had D1s in Jeremy Sallee and James Dews. 6th place Sycamore didn’t feature any D1s but made it to the regional (this may even be Sycamore’s best ever team, and we were 6th in the league!). 7th place Fairfield played Hamilton to a 38-32 game in the 1st round of the tournament. 8th place Milford featured 2 D1 players in Zach West and AJ Salerno (and some Milford people I know think this might have been their best ever team!) 10th place Colerain upset a top 10 St. Xavier team in the tournament.

For this year, the league doesn’t have the top heavy star power that 1992 did and I’m not sure there is a potential state champion in the bunch. They also don’t have the super top-to-bottom quality that 2004 did (Colerain and Oak Hills are horrendous, and Mason is bad). However, the league is very strong. I like the league’s chances at getting more team farther than the GCL-S for the first time in awhile. Unfortunately, I’m not sure anybody is winning the Southwest region as I’m not sure anybody is getting past defending state champs Centerville.

In 2004, Hamilton won the league and won the state championship, but they did have 2 league losses to Princeton and Lakota West. Hamilton had 3 D1 players in Brandon Lampley, Billy Allen, and Jason Miller and a 5-star football recruit in Adam Myers-White (who was league POY). 2nd place Princeton featured D1 players in Mark Dortis and Ross Morin. 3rd place Lakota West had a D1 in Josh Chichester. 4th place Oak Hills had 2 future D1 juniors that didn’t even start. 5th place Lakota East had D1s in Jeremy Sallee and James Dews. 6th place Sycamore didn’t feature any D1s but made it to the regional (this may even be Sycamore’s best ever team, and we were 6th in the league!). 7th place Fairfield played Hamilton to a 38-32 game in the 1st round of the tournament. 8th place Milford featured 2 D1 players in Zach West and AJ Salerno (and some Milford people I know think this might have been their best ever team!) 10th place Colerain upset a top 10 St. Xavier team in the tournament.
I don't remember Princeton beating Hamilton that year. There was a great SRO game at Princeton between the two at the end of the year that Hamilton won. Did Princeton win at Hamilton? Hamilton beat Toledo St. John's (who had three D1s I think) for the title in a close game, but Princeton beat TSJ by a much larger margin earlier in the year.

I think we missed out on what could have been the GMC's best team ever in 2005 if Lakota East hadn't lost their starting center to transfer to Princeton and a 6'5'' wing to transfer to West. They had Dews, a 6'7'' center (Kohs?), and another good guard (Boyd?).

Where did AJ Salerno go to college? I really liked his game but he seemed to vanish after Milford.

Oak Hills and Colerain are normal bottom of the league bad.
For the life of me, I can’t figure out where this comes from. Since 2007 Oak Hills has finished in the bottom 3 of the league two times. Can you explain what you mean by “normal bottom of the league bad”?

For the life of me, I can’t figure out where this comes from. Since 2007 Oak Hills has finished in the bottom 3 of the league two times. Can you explain what you mean by “normal bottom of the league bad”?
What do I mean by that? I mean they are going to struggle to win any games on the season, not just league games, but games against anyone.

Oak Hills is a good good program with an excellent coach. That's why they have been solid every year. They just has zero talent this year and even a great coach can't get passed that. So this will be ther year when they struggle like Colerain and how Middletown has struggled in recent years to win any games.

I don't remember Princeton beating Hamilton that year. There was a great SRO game at Princeton between the two at the end of the year that Hamilton won. Did Princeton win at Hamilton? Hamilton beat Toledo St. John's (who had three D1s I think) for the title in a close game, but Princeton beat TSJ by a much larger margin earlier in the year.

I think we missed out on what could have been the GMC's best team ever in 2005 if Lakota East hadn't lost their starting center to transfer to Princeton and a 6'5'' wing to transfer to West. They had Dews, a 6'7'' center (Kohs?), and another good guard (Boyd?).
The 2004 Lakota East team had sophomore Todd Mayberry, who transferred to West and was probably their best player on their regional final team in 2006 (where he missed what would have been the tying free throws in the final seconds). They also had junior Robert Walker, who transferred to Princeton for his senior year. Those two would have been added to the co-GMC champion Lakota East team in 2005 that featured James Dews, Cordale Boyd, Nick Kohs, and Casey Kjos and went 18-2 in the regular season but lost to Colerain in the 1st round of the tournament.

As for 2004, I really thought Princeton beat Hamilton early in the season but I guess I’m wrong since the OHSAA says Hamilton went 25-2. I do know they played an epic regional semifinal in 2003, where Brandon Lampley sent the game to overtime with a falling out-of-bounds 3. Those Princeton teams with Ross Morin were really good from 03 to 05.

What do I mean by that? I mean they are going to struggle to win any games on the season, not just league games, but games against anyone.

Oak Hills is a good good program with an excellent coach. That's why they have been solid every year. They just has zero talent this year and even a great coach can't get passed that. So this will be ther year when they struggle like Colerain and how Middletown has struggled in recent years to win any games.
Yes, we all know they are not good this year. What do you mean by “normal bottom of the league”?