IVC 2022

I just get a little annoyed because TV, Strasburg and Newcomersrown used to be some of the premier programs in the area, but getting beat up on for 20 years because of their schedules has left them as shells of their former selves. And it has also held back the Ridgewoods and Garaways too! Lazy scheduling hurts everyone.

Jeff Cook, Ron Hurst and Dale Martini built programs that almost don’t exist anymore.
I can't comment on Strasburg and Newcomerstown but Tusky Valley's schedule has nothing to do with their struggles since 2007.

Literally the hottest take I think I've ever read...

Steubenville, who is d3 btw, has won more playoff games than the entire IVC combined has even played in... Dover played 4 playoff teams in their own region, and a d1 team and some privates. Phila too is nutting up with friggen Chardon who's playing today for the d3 title, and played Canfield who will probably have given Chardon their closest game all year, Likely the #1 and #2 best teams in the division. And they're joining the OCC that has Wooster and Ashland and Mansfield in it. Give me a break.

If Ridgewood's scheduling mirrored the way Dover and Phila's does, their schedule would look like this-

week 1 Dover-Lake Catholic. RW-CVCA (private school 1 division lower)
week 2 Dover-Canfield. RW-Ironton (playoff team in region)
week 3 Dover-IV RW-Mogadore (playoff team 1 division lower)
week 4-Dover-Akron East RW-Manchester (playoff team in region)
week 5 Dover-Steubenville RW-Piketon(playoff team in region)
week 6 Dover-Warren RW-East Canton (public 1 division lower)
week 7 Dover- Strongsville RW-New Phila (good public 2 divisions higher)
week 8-Dover-Marietta RW-West Muskingum (same division)
week 9 Dover- Linsley RW-Valley Christian School (private 2 divisions lower)
Week 10 Dover-NP RW-Garaway (rivalry)

Compare that to who Ridgewood does play and you can see how silly you sound.

I think he’s trying to troll Steubenville. He can’t possibly believe that scheduling Steubenville is a scrub game??

Tusky Valley's schedule has nothing to do with their struggles since 2007.

I think it does, PAC 7 even tougher than the IVC. Manchester has the playoff success (22-27, 1 runner up, 2 regional titles) that some Ridgewood (15-16, 1 regional title) fans act like they have.

I think it does, PAC 7 even tougher than the IVC. Manchester has the playoff success (22-27, 1 runner up, 2 regional titles) that some Ridgewood (15-16, 1 regional title) fans act like they have.
I understand that but when the Tusky program was rolling under Martini they were playing significantly tougher schedules than they have in the last 15 years. There were no TCCs, Newcomerstowns, Claymonts or Strasburgs on the schedule to get wins like there are now.

Tusky was the second best program in the PAC-7 between 1989-2007 and were the one program that routinely challenged Manchester. They had winning seasons 16 of their first 19 seasons in the PAC-7.

There are reasons the Trojans have struggled since 2007 but the schedule isn't one of them. Heck, I remember when the Garaway game was viewed as the gimme game on the schedule where the JVs would get to play a lot.

I will say this about the schedules Journey. I wish the IVC used merit-based scheduling instead of divisions. This would allow a school that is down like Tusky or Strasburg or Newcs to play more competitive games with other teams who are struggling and it would probably help struggling programs get more kids out on the team and help them improve.

It would also help the best teams in the conference because they get nothing out of pummeling the struggling programs and being up 42-0 early in the second quarter.

It would be a win/win for the vast majority of schools in the IVC.

If Strasburg had kept Farthing,, winters and pryor they would be pretty good. If Tusky had the Wallick boys and and the linebacker they would be different. I also think they lost a wr. Claymont has lost their three best guys to IV. If these schools would just keep their kids I think you would see a different IVC, it would have a big effect on the power teams right now.

If Strasburg had kept Farthing,, winters and pryor they would be pretty good. If Tusky had the Wallick boys and and the linebacker they would be different. I also think they lost a wr. Claymont has lost their three best guys to IV. If these schools would just keep their kids I think you would see a different IVC, it would have a big effect on the power teams right now.
Tusky has lost a lot more than just those kids. I think it is in double digits but not sure. Yes, the league would be a lot different if a few schools could get their act together but that's not going to happen.

2022 predictions

1. Indian Valley - Just a hunch.
2. Garaway - Will be really good and ready for a playoff run.
3. Ridgewood - Big dropoff but no other program has Slusser.
4. Sandy Valley - They are here by default. They will rarely be as good as the top 3 and never as bad as the bottom 2.
5. Claymont - The 922ers got two wins. Who would've guessed that? They are still bad though.
6. Tusky Valley - A program in disarray.

1. Malvern - They really have no competition in the North. Their schedule is pretty soft. Probably a 9-1 season even though they lose a lot.
2. TCC - They have a few key kids coming back. They won't be good but in the North they will be second.
3. East Canton - Lose a lot but should still have some talent and look who is below them.
4.. Buckeye Trail - Expected good things from them the last two years and always disappointed me.
5. Newcomerstown - If things don't improve it's time for a change.
6. Strasburg - I'm not sure why they even have football.

I would like to think that the Strasburg BOE and admin would look in the mirror and decide to make an investment in the football program with the next hire but from the sounds it it's more likely the current admin is most of the problem.

I would like to think that the Strasburg BOE and admin would look in the mirror and decide to make an investment in the football program with the next hire but from the sounds it it's more likely the current admin is most of the problem.

If the stories are true what a no win situation for any football coach in that community. Supt/basketball coach openly telling kids to only play basketball. Yikes. Almost winning the IVC North in bball must be the priority for the BOE at Strasburg.

Coach Metzger is a great man who is great for kids and did a great job given the circumstances he was given. Hope to see him on a sideline helping a program out that has an admin that doesn’t actively sabotage the football program. Like I said just YIKES for Strasburg.

There is only two sports that the Strasburg community cares about, Boys BB & girls softball

If the stories are true what a no win situation for any football coach in that community. Supt/basketball coach openly telling kids to only play basketball. Yikes. Almost winning the IVC North in bball must be the priority for the BOE at Strasburg.

Coach Metzger is a great man who is great for kids and did a great job given the circumstances he was given. Hope to see him on a sideline helping a program out that has an admin that doesn’t actively sabotage the football program. Like I said just YIKES for Strasburg.
There are a couple of programs in the IVC that will struggle until they get new admins or boards.

Regardless of the past support/lack of support, Strasburg is now in need of a head football coach. The school certainly doesn't seem to have much going for it to attract coaches. Does anyone know if any of the assistants are interested? If not, where does Strasburg go to find a coach?

I have heard the same thing. There is no way anyone with a decent resume would want this job. At a school that small, it is impossible if you do not share athletes.

I have heard the same thing. There is no way anyone with a decent resume would want this job. At a school that small, it is impossible if you do not share athletes.
The hot rumor at the basketball game last weekend was that Strasburg may be discontinuing the program. This was from someone involved in the athletic department of a North school, not just some bozo in the stands. According to this guy, Strasburg seems to think that Hiland's big advantage is no football which really makes no sense at all. Hopefully it's not true but that was the rumor.

The hot rumor at the basketball game last weekend was that Strasburg may be discontinuing the program. This was from someone involved in the athletic department of a North school, not just some bozo in the stands. According to this guy, Strasburg seems to think that Hiland's big advantage is no football which really makes no sense at all. Hopefully it's not true but that was the rumor.
Things wont change there until the community gets fed up with the HC of BB and his antics that he denies when questioned. I daresay if you were to speak with former players who didn't go out for football, but wanted to, they would tell a completely different story. Why isn't the BOE looking into this? There's a reason good athletes are transferring out of there and having productive football careers at other places. These same athletes participate in all sports at other schools and are encouraged to by their head coaches. Our district borders the Strasburg district and they NEVER had this problem before. I know for a fact when Coach Morris was there (ironically, the present head boys BB coach wasn't) the football team had 40+ players. Coach Metzger has worked beyond diligently trying to get the athletes out. However when they are being told that if they "go out for football, they won't get a varsity basketball jersey", there is a problem.

Too many people burying their heads in the sand because their sons play BB. School sports are for everybody and sadly high school goes by way too quickly for some of these kids at small schools to miss out on any sport.

Strasburg posted their open football job on the OHSAA Job Openings page so I'd say any rumors about them disbanding the program were false.

Strasburg High School (Division VII) is seeking a Head Varsity Football Coach. Previous experience in this position is preferred but not required and all proper licensure and certifications are required. Potential teaching positions may be available but are unknown at this time. Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest and resume to Athletic Director, Gary Spinell, gary.spinell@strasburgtigers.org The position will remain open until filled.

Yes I been saying that for Years. All these kids transfer to a school in the same league makes it very Lopsided