After football season is over, the Canton Board of Education will have to make a major decision....

After football season is over, the canton Board of education will have to make a major decision...

• Keep Antonio Hall as the Head Football Coach at Canton McKinley

Votes: 85 75.2%
  • Let Antonio Hall go, Look for a new Head Football Coach for the 2022 season Canton McKinley

Votes: 28 24.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he goes back to the AD job and finds the best guy out there that wants to be at McK,I only talk to him one time during the season and that's just my guess.
I think the whole city of Canton would have to pry the head coaching job out of Hall’s hands. This is his dream. He said in an interview that he had been preparing for this head coaching job for 12 years. He’s not giving it up.

I think the whole city of Canton would have to pry the head coaching job out of Hall’s hands. This is his dream. He said in an interview that he had been preparing for this head coaching job for 12 years. He’s not giving it up.
I'm glad to hear that. I think he's good for the city, the school, and most importantly the students. I for one wish him the best of luck. Except week 10 of course. LOL.

Canton could have easily rolled over this year and used all the off season distractions as a crutch and justification for having a terrible year. Instead they rallied together, won more games than most expected them to, made it further in the playoffs than most expected them to and did all this as a unified team.

They would be crazy not to keep all the pieces in place. Its not broke. Dont fix it.

Canton could have easily rolled over this year and used all the off season distractions as a crutch and justification for having a terrible year. Instead they rallied together, won more games than most expected them to, made it further in the playoffs than most expected them to and did all this as a unified team.

They would be crazy not to keep all the pieces in place. Its not broke. Dont fix it.
Agreed. He has done a phenomenal job this season.

Just kinda sketchy IMO that he was part of the driving force to can the old coach over nothing only to lobby for the job. He knew what he was doing that late in the game? If he was that good he would have been hired when he interviewed.

Just kinda sketchy IMO that he was part of the driving force to can the old coach over nothing only to lobby for the job. He knew what he was doing that late in the game? If he was that good he would have been hired when he interviewed.
Really if I were Watts' lawyers I would be taking heed there may be a conflict of interest here. He fired the better qualified coach, that beat him in the head the head, to grab the job for himself. This should disqualify him for the position.

Really if I were Watts' lawyers I would be taking heed there may be a conflict of interest here. He fired the better qualified coach, that beat him in the head the head, to grab the job for himself. This should disqualify him for the position.
The Superintendent and Board made the decision to fire all coaches. Hall can’t make that final decision. The superintendent makes the recommendation and the board cast votes. The board voted unanimously to fire the coaches. The board are the ones that vote, not Hall. That is why the Superintendent and Board are being sued by the coaches. Not Hall. When Hall was asked to be enterim coach he was out of town just as an FYI.

Yes they have the final say but I'd bet a dollar or a donut that it goes to the board from the principal, AD and Super their recommendation and the Board 99-100 backs that. Just like a hiring process.

I think Dopamine should be McKs savior. He would immediately remove them (football-wise) from the Fed. Schedule would resemble this:

1- @ St. Eds
2- vs St X
3- vs Benedictine
4- vs Mater Dei (in Las Vegas)
5- vs Southlake Carroll at the NON-Farmboy Classic (again in Vegas, Dopes teams are highly sought after)
6- @ Minerva (Dopamine still needs a win)
7- @ Pick C
8- vs Canton Central Catholic (it was around this time Dopamine realized that there aren’t many teams, not in a league, that are available to schedule
9- vs Bishop Sycamore (Televised on ESPN)
10- @ Massillon

In all seriousness, good luck to the Pups, they’ve had an awesome year, pull off the upset!

The Superintendent and Board made the decision to fire all coaches. Hall can’t make that final decision. The superintendent makes the recommendation and the board cast votes. The board voted unanimously to fire the coaches. The board are the ones that vote, not Hall. That is why the Superintendent and Board are being sued by the coaches. Not Hall. When Hall was asked to be enterim coach he was out of town just as an FYI.
No fair bringing facts into the discussion when their minds are made up.

Reactions: Mck
You sound like a former or player who didn’t get the playing time you wanted. Antonio has done a tremendous job since taking over. He’s not perfect but neither is any first year head coach. It’s gonna take a couple of years to get it to where it needs to be. Your negative energy won’t help the cause. Move on from Wattley. He didn’t do anything for the program anyways.Antonio was dealt a mess of a program. He will get it right.

I'm sure they do. He took a program that couldn't win more than 2-3 games a year and turned them into a regular participant in the playoffs.
Johnson has the same issue at Salem he had at McKinley and that is no defense in critical games but I would take him back at McKinley in a minute.He could beat Massillon at least sometimes. Que in haters right here.

Johnson has the same issue at Salem he had at McKinley and that is no defense in critical games but I would take him back at McKinley in a minute.He could beat Massillon at least sometimes. Que in haters right here.
Caleb, why would you take him back at McKinley if he didn’t have a strong defense? Mck would still be mediocre then.

What was so great about him?
Antonio will remain the head coach. Ron Johnson built a strong program when he was there. There were almost 80 plus players every year on the varsity roster. Academics were very strong. He was visible in the school and as a teacher, he always responded to emails about players. He always made his players sit in the front of the classroom and they became the best leaders. He beat Massillon often. Was there a couple of decisions he probably wishes he could have back, sure, but overall he was a great leader of men. The debacle of the board led to his wrongful firing. It is a shame because he had something positive being built.

And here we are with a perfect example of a misrepresentation of the truth....from a person who openly admits not even living in Ohio or returning anytime soon, but wants to sit from afar and lob negativity and hate more often than anyone who is here wants to hear, and very rarely is anything he says of substance or truth.

As AD - Hall supported and backed the previous coach. Hall did not instruct or have any involvement with the incident.
Furthermore, anyone HERE IN CANTON can tell you the previous coach was lazy and did very little to leave it better than he found it.
What's done is done, and we have played an entire regular season - so for those of us HERE, we tarry forth.

As far as a previous coach's lawyer goes, I look forward to seeing that ambulance chaser being laughed out of court.

Last edited:
Wattley and the other coaches were responsible for their choices and got disciplined. If they don't screw up they are still there.

He's earned another shot. Did anyone think Mck would win as many games as they did and win two playoff games after they got blown out by Mentor? They need to keep him to keep continuity and to get the ball rolling for next year.

I think it's more important to keep him than it was to select him as the interim. During a few of the games this year, I counted the number of players that saw action while the score was close. On each of those occasions, there were more than 30 kids, including a handful of sophomores and numerous juniors that played. Change the coach on those kids again and they may not come back. Gotta give them some continuity.

Status
Not open for further replies.