Playoff attendance

I never knew Bob Cummings coached at Struthers before taking the Massillon job. Before Jerry Faust was noted as maybe the first coach to go directly from a high school job to a national power, there was Bob Cummings going from Massillon directly to Iowa. At least that’s how I always heard it.
Paul Brown went from Massillon directly to Ohio State in 1941,
The Ohio H.S. Coaches petitioned OSU to hire him.

:>---

SALT

Last edited:
I never knew Bob Cummings coached at Struthers before taking the Massillon job. Before Jerry Faust was noted as maybe the first coach to go directly from a high school job to a national power, there was Bob Cummings going from Massillon directly to Iowa. At least that’s how I always heard it.
You heard right. Pretty amazing.
Massillon grabbed him right after his last two teams went undefeated.
1967 (10-0) and 1968 (9-0-1)

Funny thing was, most Struthers fans weren't bitter he was leaving us ....... they were happy for him.
Tremendous coach, we finished 5th in the state in '68..

Funny thing was, most Struthers fans weren't bitter he was leaving us ....... they were happy for him.
Massillon fans were also happy. A great coach.

63 years old multiple football an soccer tickets purchased via hometown and ticket spicket. no issue, no reduction in game attendance. it really is not that difficult folks. games i saw last weekend were typical of 1sxt round games in years past. whine or learn. go, don't go. your choice. if you enjoy watching games in person go., You only harm yourself by staying home.

IMO, two of the best teams ever in the SVC.

63 years old multiple football an soccer tickets purchased via hometown and ticket spicket. no issue, no reduction in game attendance. it really is not that difficult folks. games i saw last weekend were typical of 1sxt round games in years past. whine or learn. go, don't go. your choice. if you enjoy watching games in person go., You only harm yourself by staying home.
Harm myself by staying hoeme? Let me think about that. The restroom is 15 steps away from my seat in a domed room and no line. Concession stand is another story. I can either go 50 steps to it or just have it brought to my seat. Plus the Carhartts stay on the hook.

I have ordered items online before but only sites I trust. I know anybody can be hacked but how secure is the site OHSAA uses to order tix. ID theft can be a b**** even if it is only your c.c. no. and email address. No reason at all not to have paper tix. none at all other than greed or arrogance or both by OHSAA.

IMO, two of the best teams ever in the SVC.
I've always thought so. Magical times in Struthers. Back in the restaurants, that's all that people could talk about.

The Fitch game in 68, I remember hearing that Fitch brought 28 buses to Struthers for the game. Absolutely unbelievable.
Poured the whole game. Everyone stayed the entire game.
Much different fans back then.
Now, people will stay away from a game for the slightest inconvenience.

Those were my best memories of how great football was back then in Youngstown.
And the SVC was one of the premier conferences in the entire state.

Thanks for your comments !!!
(y)

Since the OHSAA shares no ticket revenue and prohibits sales at the gate, if I was in charge at a hosting school I would simply open the gates and allow folks to walk in….. that way concessions, parking and other sales would make up for the money the OHSAA is stealing from local school districts.

the Magics....... gosh , showing my age, but dang it was fun to watch their magic show in warmups.... Bodnar twins.... carter Scott.........:)
It was NOT fun to get schooled by those 3 and their teammates at OU summer b-ball camp before their senior season - I was an impressionable sophomore-to-be and had to pick up my jock strap more than a few times that week. Jack Greynolds just grinned at me.
I'm old too, obviously, but they were really really exceptionally talented team - and Carter Scott and I hooked up in a league 20 years later. Class act.

Last edited:
I thought complaints about the online ticketing were unfounded until I started to look around and also by my own actions this weekend.

Friday I sort of wanted to go to a game that was somewhat local. Nice weather. Not too far away. Good facility. Didnt end up going. I wondered why and I cannot help to think it was because of the tickets. In the past I would just drive to the stadium, get ticket and go in. Now I have to get onto the OHSAA ticket site. Find the region. Find the game. Enter in all my CC info, etc. That damned security code is damned hear wore off.

I know...does not seem like much but that ultimately was a reason to talk myself OUT of going when in most years I would have been there.

Since the OHSAA shares no ticket revenue and prohibits sales at the gate, if I was in charge at a hosting school I would simply open the gates and allow folks to walk in….. that way concessions, parking and other sales would make up for the money the OHSAA is stealing from local school districts.
Well there is a reason you are not in charge, you don't think that there is provisions in the agreement to host concerning this? And there is no "stealing", the OHSAA is renting the facility and the facility agrees to the arrangement. They could refuse, and the OHSAA would move the game to a different site.

Unless you have a Joe Burrow type player or Massillon in the playoffs, the attendance will always be low with how society is today

So instead of one adult in the ticket booth selling tickets and then a couple of JH football players taking the tickets, they have a couple of adults scanning the online tix.

I liked it better in the past. Sold tix at the local gas station all week to get the presale price, or at the gate for a dollar or so more.

Now I have to get onto the OHSAA ticket site. Find the region. Find the game. Enter in all my CC info, etc.
From a UX and technology perspective, the Hometown Ticketing site/app are abysmal. For the amount of money the company makes off Ohio high schools and OHSAA tournaments, their services should be much better.

The problem in Massillon is that season ticket holders no longer get the right to buy tickets before general public.
So I have to go online and hope I get a ticket before some one else. this really comes into play when Massillon has to play in a small stadium, we have 3000 to 4000 season ticket holders.

The local school districts are the ones who volunteer to join the OHSAA , elect their board, and vote on their rules. So are they just stealing from themselves?

Joe Biden GIF by Election 2020
Wait till next year when gas is over $4 a gallon. You think people are going to travel then.

Unless there is a hamster on a wheel processing tickets, what's with the extra $2.00 if you buy a ticket within the 3hr. window leading up to game time? Sometimes you have to work and you just don't know if you can go or not. The $$$$ is not the issue. The intentional fleecing of the fanbase is. Electronic transfers of $$$ are pretty instantaneous. Just ask eBAY and Amazon.
Work Waiting GIF by Nike