Ask The Ref?

I don't know the circumstances in this case, but the later we have the gotten into the season, I get the impression that some schools may not be trying as hard to find replacement games as they would otherwise.

No complaints about week 10. That assigner takes care of us, and we get along very well with those AD's and coaches.

If it weren't for bad luck, we'd have no luck at all.

This past spring , umpiring college baseball , I had 27 games cancelled due to covid and/or weather, mostly covid, despite having limited availability (days I left open to be assigned).

my friend, who was assigned almost every single day, had 4 games cancelled.

As someone else said, luck of the draw

Over the years a play has been discussed multiple times on here where a kick is possessed by the kicking team behind the team and advanced. In each of those plays, I have always noted that, while rare, yes, the kicking team can advance the ball by running or passing it.. and yes, even kick it again.... provided the kick was legal....

It finally happened tonight.

On the Monday night game, the Rams blocked a punt, the punter recovered the ball behind the line of scrimmage, began to run and then punted the ball again. The result was a 68 yard punt

Over the years a play has been discussed multiple times on here where a kick is possessed by the kicking team behind the team and advanced. In each of those plays, I have always noted that, while rare, yes, the kicking team can advance the ball by running or passing it.. and yes, even kick it again.... provided the kick was legal....

It finally happened tonight.

On the Monday night game, the Rams blocked a punt, the punter recovered the ball behind the line of scrimmage, began to run and then punted the ball again. The result was a 68 yard punt
Saw that and the many replays. The second punt was executed beyond the line of scrimmage. In a league where everything is scrutinized can't believe they missed that.

Question on Pass Interference on the try. Touchdown scored, offense lines up for the PAT. Offense throws the ball in the endzone and is caught by for 2 points. During the PAT, pass interference is called on the defense as well. The officials then marked 15 yards off on the kickoff. I thought you would only mark the PI off if it occurred on a TD pass not the PAT. My understanding is that the penalty should have been refused by the offense to accept the 2 points. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Question on Pass Interference on the try. Touchdown scored, offense lines up for the PAT. Offense throws the ball in the endzone and is caught by for 2 points. During the PAT, pass interference is called on the defense as well. The officials then marked 15 yards off on the kickoff. I thought you would only mark the PI off if it occurred on a TD pass not the PAT. My understanding is that the penalty should have been refused by the offense to accept the 2 points. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Good Question..........

The enforcement by the crew was correct

Rule 8-3 -- Scoring Plays and Touchbacks - Try

ART. 5 . . .
If during a successful try, a foul by B occurs, A is given the choice of:

a. Accepting the penalty and replaying the down following enforcement; or
b. Accepting the result of the play and enforcement of the penalty from the succeeding spot.

The succeeding spot is the kickoff.

Good Question..........

The enforcement by the crew was correct

Rule 8-3 -- Scoring Plays and Touchbacks - Try

ART. 5 . . .
If during a successful try, a foul by B occurs, A is given the choice of:

a. Accepting the penalty and replaying the down following enforcement; or
b. Accepting the result of the play and enforcement of the penalty from the succeeding spot.

The succeeding spot is the kickoff.
Happened this year in the St. Ed’s vs Massillon game. Refs even pulled out the rule book to show the St. Edward coach.

There was a weird call last night on Defensive block/push in the back in TC vs Northridge? Can anyone explain that one to me?

There was a weird call last night on Defensive block/push in the back in TC vs Northridge? Can anyone explain that one to me?
Rule 9-3-5

A player shall not block an opponent in the back except:

a. In the free-blocking zone when the contact meets the requirements of (Rule) 2-17.
b. Using hands and arms to contact an opponent above the waist in warding off a blocker, or when attempting to reach a runner, or catch or recover a loose ball which he may legally touch or possess.
c. To tackle a runner or player pretending to be a runner

"A player" is emphasized in red because many people restrict their thinking with regards to blocks to the offensive player only. (similar to when the defense is penalized for blocking below the waist)

Blocking rules apply to all 22 participating.

Rule 9-3-5

A player shall not block an opponent in the back except:

a. In the free-blocking zone when the contact meets the requirements of (Rule) 2-17.
b. Using hands and arms to contact an opponent above the waist in warding off a blocker, or when attempting to reach a runner, or catch or recover a loose ball which he may legally touch or possess.
c. To tackle a runner or player pretending to be a runner

"A player" is emphasized in red because many people restrict their thinking with regards to blocks to the offensive player only. (similar to when the defense is penalized for blocking below the waist)

Blocking rules apply to all 22 participating.
That helps a lot thank you.

False start on offense, shotgun snap qb takes couple steps backwards whistles blow. Defender continues to qb and hits him knocking him down. Flags thrown on false stRt and again on hit. What is outcome

False start on offense, shotgun snap qb takes couple steps backwards whistles blow. Defender continues to qb and hits him knocking him down. Flags thrown on false stRt and again on hit. What is outcome
Both dead ball fouls are enforced. 5 yards back, 15 yards forward. First down if the yardage puts the ball past the sticks (NOT an automatic first down).

Two dead ball fouls are to be penalized.

Assess a 5yd penalty against the offense for the False Start..... Then assess a 15 yard penalty for the dead ball foul for knocking the Quarterback down.

Net result is the offense will snap the ball 10yd in advance of where the ball was when the original ready for play whistle was blown.

This is not an automatic first down

What's the penalty for a halftime that goes too long? Had one last night that went well over 20 minutes, can't do that, but there wasn't a penalty (at least not one that could be found while they were looking) in the rule book.

What's the penalty for a halftime that goes too long? Had one last night that went well over 20 minutes, can't do that, but there wasn't a penalty (at least not one that could be found while they were looking) in the rule book.
Correct, there is no foul for halftime running too long (it is a myth that there is, and unfortunately many officials perpetrate that myth). The proper procedure is for the officials to report it to the assigner after the game who will address it with the school.

There is a requirement for both head coaches to have their teams on the field for the mandatory 3-minute warm-up. The penalty for noncompliance is an unsportsmanlike foul charged to the head coach.

Correct, there is no foul for halftime running too long (it is a myth that there is, and unfortunately many officials perpetrate that myth). The proper procedure is for the officials to report it to the assigner after the game who will address it with the school.

There is a requirement for both head coaches to have their teams on the field for the mandatory 3-minute warm-up. The penalty for noncompliance is an unsportsmanlike foul charged to the head coach.
Thanks for the answer! The officials last night dropped a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct because of it. 15 yards that didn't make a difference in the end but still.

Thanks for the answer! The officials last night dropped a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct because of it. 15 yards that didn't make a difference in the end but still.
The officials dropped a flag for halftime running long (e.g. the band wasn't off the field when the clock hit zeros), or they dropped a flag for a team not being out for the 3:00 warmup?

The officials dropped a flag for halftime running long (e.g. the band wasn't off the field when the clock hit zeros), or they dropped a flag for a team not being out for the 3:00 warmup?
Halftime running long. They were mic'd up and he specifically cited the length of halftime when explaining the call.

Halftime running long. They were mic'd up and he specifically cited the length of halftime when explaining the call.
Rule 3-6-4 states....

Game management is responsible for clearing the field of play and the end zones at the beginning of each half so play may begin at the scheduled time

The penalty for this is a delay of game -- 5 yards.

Now..... I have yet to meet an assigner that wants us to flag the home team because the band(s) played too long. In fact, a good number of them that I have worked for over the years has specifically informed crew chiefs not to penalize for this.

Not having their team on the field for the 3 minute warm up is an unsportsmanlike foul assessed against the head coach.

Cannot pitch the ball from a knee in HS. Knee must be off the ground
Saw a team fake an EP last night late in the game, down 49-13 at the time. I noticed the holder was squatting and not on a knee. He took snap and ran for the 2.

Did he have tk start like that with no knee on the ground?

Saw a team fake an EP last night late in the game, down 49-13 at the time. I noticed the holder was squatting and not on a knee. He took snap and ran for the 2.

No, the holder can receive the snap on a knee and then rise. As long as his knee is off the ground when he pitches the ball.

No, the holder can receive the snap on a knee and then rise. As long as his knee is off the ground when he pitches the ball.
Good copy. It looked so.....odd and uncomfortable. When I saw it I presumed a fake but then dismissed it because of the score. I was wrong.

He's not required to, however a couple of things need to be understood by all involved...

If he's squatting, then by definition his team is not in a scrimmage kick formation and protections afforded by rule against rouging the snapper and the holder are not in effect.

If he starts in a squatting position, catches the ball, then goes to a knee..... he is down by rule,

Rule 3-6-4 states....

Game management is responsible for clearing the field of play and the end zones at the beginning of each half so play may begin at the scheduled time

The penalty for this is a delay of game -- 5 yards.

Now..... I have yet to meet an assigner that wants us to flag the home team because the band(s) played too long. In fact, a good number of them that I have worked for over the years has specifically informed crew chiefs not to penalize for this.
Just so I’m clear on this, referee crews are instructed to NOT call fouls that the rule book specifically calls for? Are there others?

Just so I’m clear on this, referee crews are instructed to NOT call fouls that the rule book specifically calls for? Are there others?
I think this is a perfect example of why a lot of fans and coaches get frustrated with officiating.
1.You have an example where the game officials wrongly applied the rule.
2. You have an experienced official saying there is no penalty and it's a myth that is wrongly perpetuated by other officials.
3. You have the rule book that shows both 1 and 2 to be wrong.
4. You have assigners telling officials to ignore the rules.

He's not required to, however a couple of things need to be understood by all involved...

If he's squatting, then by definition his team is not in a scrimmage kick formation and protections afforded by rule against rouging the snapper and the holder are not in effect.

If he starts in a squatting position, catches the ball, then goes to a knee..... he is down by rule,
And the numbering exception is not in effect and they need five numbered 50-79 on the LOS.

I think this is a perfect example of why a lot of fans and coaches get frustrated with officiating.
1.You have an example where the game officials wrongly applied the rule.
2. You have an experienced official saying there is no penalty and it's a myth that is wrongly perpetuated by other officials.
3. You have the rule book that shows both 1 and 2 to be wrong.
4. You have assigners telling officials to ignore the rules.
Regarding #2, completely my mistake. I honestly did not know there was a foul by rule when halftime ran long. Now I do.

Regarding #1, mistakes happen. Rules get misapplied and made up. It happens, but not nearly as often as you imply.

Regarding #4, if you want to get games, you do what the boss wants.

It's the game management segment of the game.
-
When it's 58-0 with under a minute left in the game and the team behind has a 12 yard run because their center held a the nose tackle........ We ignore the hold.....

Happens at all levels of play in every sport.

Not one official on here expects you to understand that.