Week 8: Elder(3-4) vs. Indianapolis Roncalli (7-0)

Im willing to bet they don’t have game breakers like Bryant or Marshall at the skill positions.

No. They want to run the ball and control the clock. They ran the ball 62 times vs. Brebeuf Jesuit who is a top 3A team in Indiana. They ran the ball 39 times against Chatard who is another good Indiana program.

No. They want to run the ball and control the clock. They ran the ball 62 times vs. Brebeuf Jesuit who is a top 3A team in Indiana. They ran the ball 39 times against Chatard who is another good Indiana program.
Elder fans are well away of Chatard. I think they’re a good proxy for the this Roncali team.

I like our chances better against a run first team rather than a passing team. That being said it sounds like their QB is good enough to test Elder’s pass defense and I expect that their run pass ratio will be closer to 60/40. To borrow an old Yappi line… I just hope we can keep it close.

Not sure if appropriate here. Watching coastal Carolina and they have 1 oline who is 300 bills. And he is 5"9 lol. These college coaches sure have adapted their offense to their lines ability. Coastal is d1 and #15 in country.

jtk
()

Not sure if appropriate here. Watching coastal Carolina and they have 1 oline who is 300 bills. And he is 5"9 lol. These college coaches sure have adapted their offense to their lines ability. Coastal is d1 and #15 in country.

jtk
()
Ok, but Coastal Carolina isn’t playing the P5. Elder could get away with playing a 220 lbs and 190 lbs OL if they played in D3.

I like our chances better against a run first team rather than a passing team. That being said it sounds like their QB is good enough to test Elder’s pass defense and I expect that their run pass ratio will be closer to 60/40. To borrow an old Yappi line… I just hope we can keep it close.
I’d be more concerned if they had a dominant DL. Im not going to speculate on injuries but Elder’s best OL didn’t play the 2nd half of last week’s game. They desperately need him.

Ok, but Coastal Carolina isn’t playing the P5. Elder could get away with playing a 220 lbs and 190 lbs OL if they played in D3.
always an excuse. while i'll agree bigger is usually better. but put the kids in blocking schemes to succeed. it doesn't matter what division.

jtk
()

I’d be more concerned if they had a dominant DL. Im not going to speculate on injuries but Elder’s best OL didn’t play the 2nd half of last week’s game. They desperately need him.

Their defensive line looks pretty good, but nothing like St. Ed's. #41 Brady Neu is a monster defensive tackle 6'4" 270 with 2.5 sacks and NG #99 Luke Swartz is 6'1 280. #1 Lucas Erickson is a good rushing Dend at 6'3" 200 leads team with 3 sacks.

I don't think Roncalli will be able to handle Ramsey's passing attack. The key to this game will be Elder getting some stops on defense and slowing down the Roncalli run game.

always an excuse. while i'll agree bigger is usually better. but put the kids in blocking schemes to succeed. it doesn't matter what division.

jtk
()
Ok, put their OL up against UGA, see how that goes.

Elder defense needs to step up vs. this Roncalli offensive line. If the Roncalli game preview is correct, this will be the Roncalli offensive line tonight.

LT #59 Trevor Lauck 6'7" 290 Jr.
LG #63 Grant Ray 6'3" 300 Sr.
C #72 Sam Secrest 6'7" 295 Sr.
RG #70 Luke Skartvedt 6'5" 303 Jr.
RT #60 Jackson McNeely 6'4" 278 Jr.

The LT Lauck has offers from UC, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Akron, UK, Kansas, Miami(OH), Mich. St., Purdue, Rutgers, Toledo
The LG Ray was all state last year in Indiana. No D1 offers. It's amazing what 1 inch in height means for recruiting.
This is only the Center Secret's 2nd season playing football. He has committed to Central Michigan. Had offers from Akron and Ball State also.
RG Skartvedt no offers yet, but has a lot of D1 interest.

That's what people said about UC last year. They more than held their own. Also Coastal beat a very good BYU team last season. They're no slouch.
UC’s DL has size.Put CC and UGA on the field and see what happens. And I hate the SEC, but point blank, UGA would CC. They shut out Arkansas last week, and they were the hottest team in the country.

Last edited by a moderator:
I finished watching the Elder-Moeller game last night, as I didn't make the game - thanks to Star64 for the broadcast. Biggest issue they had was tackling. They also obviously struggled with the speed for #10. It wasn't necessarily a scheme issue, moreso technical stuff that can be corrected - getting off blocks, making tackles, keeping contain/staying home.

I expect a much better showing from the defense this week, keeping Roncalli under 20. I'll take E in this one 28-17.

UGA would most teams this season. lol. good comparison.

the point is.....coach what you got, adapt as a coach to what you got.

jtk
()

UGA would most teams this season. lol. good comparison.

the point is.....coach what you got, adapt as a coach to what you got.

jtk
()
But if you want to apply this to Elder, they do play the D1 Ohio equivalent of UGA & Bama. They don’t get to play the weak schedule a Coastal Carolina plays.

I finished watching the Elder-Moeller game last night, as I didn't make the game - thanks to Star64 for the broadcast. Biggest issue they had was tackling. They also obviously struggled with the speed for #10. It wasn't necessarily a scheme issue, moreso technical stuff that can be corrected - getting off blocks, making tackles, keeping contain/staying home.

I expect a much better showing from the defense this week, keeping Roncalli under 20. I'll take E in this one 28-17.
Tackling was not this bad early in the year, even against a good team like PC. However, since Eds it’s been pretty bad. The Defensive staff with Currin, Fortkamp, and Roden should be getting a little bit better play from the unit overall. I know losing Paff was a definite blow and a few other guys have been battling some nagging injuries all year, but they’ve got to get this fixed.

you made this into a who you play discussion. the comment was that CC doesn't have anyone over 300 and are dominating everyone they play. i said it was mostly due to coaching and scheme. the biggest lines aren't always the best.

jtk
()

Tackling was not this bad early in the year, even against a good team like PC. However, since Eds it’s been pretty bad. The Defensive staff with Currin, Fortkamp, and Roden should be getting a little bit better play from the unit overall. I know losing Paff was a definite blow and a few other guys have been battling some nagging injuries all year, but they’ve got to get this fixed.

I'm hoping a Friday night at the PIT with a big crowd will be what this defense needs to fix the tackling issues.

There's a reason teams have bad games one week and play above their heads another week. It happens at every level of football high school, college, and NFL.
They tackled well vs PC on the road. The only way tackling gets better is if they practiced it heavily during the week.

All about speed. Speed makes you think twice, hesitate and take bad angles. The speed of their opponents have gotta progressively faster, specifically during this stretch. Time to get it back on track against a team that likely will be on par with Elder speed wise.

All about speed. Speed makes you think twice, hesitate and take bad angles. The speed of their opponents have gotta progressively faster, specifically during this stretch. Time to get it back on track against a team that likely will be on par with Elder speed wise.

That is right. Roncalli does not have anywhere close to the team speed St. Ed's or Moeller has.

The OL & STs are still issues. By the time Hambleton counts to 2 the ball needs to be out of hands. He’s taking way too many shots trying to extend plays.

Last edited:
Big TD before half to get some momentum. I’d say Elder caught a break by that pick 6 being reversed. However, I was standing right behind the play and the ball clearly hit the ground. I don’t know how it even had to be discussed. There was a reason the Roncalli kid looked confused as he was running towards the end zone.

Extremely disappointed.horrible execution, compounded by the same mistakes over and over.
The D should not be this bad with some of the players & coaches they have. Roden is a proven DC and Fortkamp coached countless D1 LBs at Colerain. This team looks like they didn’t practice tackling at all.

I also hate making this point, bc it’s not quantifiable, but Elder didn’t seem to match the level of intensity Roncalli had. For how important this game was for playoff seeding they looked flat.

Last edited:
And I’m really trying to be fair and not blindly rip into anyone, but this team is so poorly disciplined. They gifted Roncalli a TD when they botched that punt/quick kick. They had and 1st & goal situation called back bc of a holding, they had a block in the back on a KO, Hambleton also made way too many bad decisions. The most impactful was throwing across his body to middle of the field on their drive at the end of the 3rd qtr. That’s him trying to do too much.

jtk
()
Elder has 2 OL that I doubt are over 220 lbs. No matter what your wife tells you, size matters.