Week 8: Elder(3-4) vs. Indianapolis Roncalli (7-0)

I’m sure that’s what $t X fans thought about Trinity. ?
I don't know about $t. X fans, but not all X fans thought Trinity would be uncompetitive-- I was not sure what to expect from Trinity-- and the players on X's team were expecting a tough game... this week, not so much.

Elder has 2 OL that I doubt are over 220 lbs. No matter what your wife tells you, size matters.
are you fing serious??????? i thought this discussion was over. you now want to talk about sizes? little man go away. now you want to bring wives into discussions. i simply made an observation....didn't meet your agenda and now you open up other avenues not appropriate to the topic.

jtk
()

are you fing serious??????? i thought this discussion was over. you now want to talk about sizes? little man go away. now you want to bring wives into discussions. i simply made an observation....didn't meet your agenda and now you open up other avenues not appropriate to the topic.

jtk
()
Don’t get your panties in a wad, it’s a joke about you not your wife.

I am concerned the tackling issue might be systematic. Does anyone remember how bad they looked vs Fairfield in the playoffs last year? I’m even more concerned bc they’re losing Thomas & Kammerer and they don’t have any really good Corners in the pipeline. Outside of Gutenkust they don’t have any real speed on D coming back. Maybe they move Flowers back to Safety and let Mier take over the bulk of carries at RB? IDK, they have to figure something out or it’s going to be the same story next yr.

And I’m still waiting to see where playing a brutal schedule has paid any benefits. I know they don’t have a lot of freedom in scheduling, but I think we can refute the idea that a brutal non conf schedule actually helps the team, it doesn’t. All 5 losses to top 5 teams in OH, KY, and IN , but there’s no reward for playing a tough schedule & losing. Their reward tonight was losing a home playoff game.

You’d think the dude would shy away from predicting running clocks for at least a week.
Dude did NOT predict one last week (vs. Trinity)-- but DID predict one this week vs. LaSalle-- and, in fact, that's exactly what happened.

It looks like Elder plays a 4-3 in certain situations with Spinney as a DE. I think Elder might benefit going back to a 4-3, as it better matches their personnel coming up. Slide Hoernschmeyer to DE, and maybe move McKenna to DT next to Freeman? Move Ginn to OL. Get your most athletic LBs on the field like Arnold, Dugan, and Selle. Move Flowers to S permanent since Mier & Summers have similar skill sets at RB.

I think at this point of the season if we beat Lasalle, you would finish 2-1 in the GCL, host and win an opening round in the playoffs that would be considered a successful season at this point with the schedule we have played.

I think at this point of the season if we beat Lasalle, you would finish 2-1 in the GCL, host and win an opening round in the playoffs that would be considered a successful season at this point with the schedule we have played.
I'd bet on Elder beating LaSalle, and hosting a 1st round playoff game-- and winning it, and then, it just depends on who the 2nd round game is against, whether Elder progresses further. There is only one team in the region that Elder has almost no chance to beat-- if the draw falls right, Elder could play as many as FOUR playoff games; Elder's offense would even give them a chance against LW.

As I’ve said before, this is an incredibly young team. To go .500 against this b***h of a schedule while starting 3 Sophs and 1 Freshman on D combined with the OL issues (injuries & attrition) is an achievement of sorts. However, you’ve got to learn from taking your lumps this year and build on that experience.

I'd bet on Elder beating LaSalle, and hosting a 1st round playoff game-- and winning it, and then, it just depends on who the 2nd round game is against, whether Elder progresses further. There is only one team in the region that Elder has almost no chance to beat-- if the draw falls right, Elder could play as many as FOUR playoff games; Elder's offense would even give them a chance against LW.
Elder does not have a chance vs West. I don’t think they’d beat Princeton and probably struggle with FF. The Defense has no speed and can’t tackle and the OL has 2 starters under 220 lbs. I also have a hard time believing their best OL is anywhere close to 100%. He’s had multiple injuries this year but gutted it out.

Elder does not have a chance vs West. I don’t think they’d beat Princeton and probably struggle with FF. The Defense has no speed and can’t tackle and the OL has 2 starters under 220 lbs. I also have a hard time believing their best OL is anywhere close to 100%. He’s had multiple injuries this year but gutted it out.
Well, just call me an Elder "homer" then-- I guess I'm just in the bag for Elder, compared to you, with your much more clear-eyed assessment.;)

As I’ve said before, this is an incredibly young team. To go .500 against this b***h of a schedule while starting 3 Sophs and 1 Freshman on D combined with the OL issues (injuries & attrition) is an achievement of sorts. However, you’ve got to learn from taking your lumps this year and build on that experience.

Did I miss something? I haven't seen Elder start a freshman on defense all season. I've seen Arnold on kickoff team and subbing in late, but not starting. They have normally started only 1 sophomore on defense and that was either McKenna or Heitz.

This is what I've seen most of the year
DE Hulen (junior)
NG Freeman (junior)
DE Mckenna/Heitz both sophomores
LB Schaerer (senior)
LB Spinney (senior)
LB Hoerenschmeyer (junior)
DB Georges (senior)
DB Gutekunst (junior)
DB Paff (senior) out for year
CB Thomas (senior)
CB Kammerer (senior)

I know the sophomore Dugan played a lot at LB last night on defense. I think it's been a combination of Heisel(senior) and Morgan(junior) replacing Paff on defense.

They started the game with 2 under 220, but then they had Conners in at RG. I think the 2nd half they had this
LT James
LG Singler
C Onorato? I think
RG Conners
RT Bass

I could be wrong on who played G/T between James, Singler, Bass.

I would agree. I think they "should" beat both Football North and Lasalle to finish 5-5. Not a great season by any means, but they did go through the gauntlet with this schedule. This team should have finished 7-3, but the Paff injury certainly affected the defense. I'm hoping for a #7 seed vs. a Mason or Colerain type team and then Moeller being the #2 seed if they can get a win these next 2 weeks. Then, a potential matchup vs. Lakota West in regional semi-finals, and then a rematch vs. St. X in the regional finals. That would be a great season to me. A playoff run and valuable experience for the underclassman.

Their reward tonight was losing a home playoff game.

They did not lose a home playoff game. At least not in the 1st round. They can still get a 1st round home game by winning out. I think you could argue they missed out on a possible 2nd round home game by losing last night. If everything goes well, they end up a #7 seed with a 1st round home game and being on the other side of the bracket of X. #7 is MUCH better than a 8 or 9 seed this year with X 99% sure getting the #1.

8 yds rushing? is that stat correct?

jtk
()

Yes, but there was a snap that went over the punter's head good for a 30 yard loss. Without that play, the total rushing yards would have been 38 yards on 23 carries. Hambleton was sacked once I forget how many yards lost on that. Maybe 5? Not counting the bad snap and sack, Elder probably had 43 yards rushing on 22 carries. Not good at all.

Roncalli was a very good team. They are likely to win Indiana D2 State title again this season. That said, Elder should have still won this game. They moved the ball a lot, but they couldn't finish their drives. They didn't win the turnover battle and the bad punt snap hurt. The game being at home, I thought Elder would have won. I'm very surprised by this result even though I knew going in how good Roncalli was.

Hambleton was 41-52 passing for 331 yards and Ramsey had 18 catches for 120 yards. They apparently need to score 40+ a game to win now, because the defense has not been good since Paff got hurt. Moving Flowers to Safety is one thing I can think of to strengthen the defense. They also need to take a hard look and possibly make the hard decision to play younger players if some upper classman are not performing.

I would agree. I think they "should" beat both Football North and Lasalle to finish 5-5. Not a great season by any means, but they did go through the gauntlet with this schedule. This team should have finished 7-3, but the Paff injury certainly affected the defense. I'm hoping for a #7 seed vs. a Mason or Colerain type team and then Moeller being the #2 seed if they can get a win these next 2 weeks. Then, a potential matchup vs. Lakota West in regional semi-finals, and then a rematch vs. St. X in the regional finals. That would be a great season to me. A playoff run and valuable experience for the underclassman.
Losing Paff was a blow, but that’s not the entire reason they’re struggling to tackle.

Excuses, Excuses, Excuses! You to much of an Elder blowhard(real hard) for moral victories. Young, .500, injuries =total a ss ?!

I’m not so sure Elder beats LaSalle this yr. Can Elder get a Home Playoff game at 5-5 or possibly 4-6?

Excuses, Excuses, Excuses! You to much of an Elder blowhard(real hard) for moral victories. Young, .500, injuries =total a ss ?!

I’m not so sure Elder beats LaSalle this yr. Can Elder get a Home Playoff game at 5-5 or possibly 4-6?
You’re too stupid to see what’s going on. This Sr class had ZERO depth and it’s comeback to bite them in the a**. If Elder doesn’t improve next season, then there’s structural issues within the program and at that point, and it’s time to panic.

You’re idiot a** wants them to play IMG, meanwhile they’re starting 2 players (out of necessity) on the OL who don’t even weigh 225 lbs. one of them isn’t even 200 lbs and that’s the program weight. He’s probably closer to 175-180 lbs.

And again I ask, what’s the benefit for playing this brutal schedule? I don’t see how it’s helped this team at all.

I think Elder and La Salle are pretty even this year, but I’d say Elder is the favorite because they have a couple playmakers on offense. La Salle has none.

Throwing 50 passes isn't usually a good recipe to winning. I know all games are different and you can still control the clock/ball with a short controlled passing game, but not in most cases.

If we only had 10 yards rushing or whatever it was it might make sense to move Flowers back to safety to get a little more speed on D. Also looking towards next year as a possibility for that as well.