What Movies Did You Watch in September 2021?

The Changeling (1980) ... 6.0/8

Had pretty much forgotten most of the plot on this one but once the kiddie wheel chair showed up it sparked memories. This one was still great 30 years after seeing for it the first time.

Bodom (Finland-2016)

Horror: A couple of guys sucker some girls into going camping at a place where campers were murdered in the 60's in order to reenact the crime. Did I mention the murderer was never found? .... OK, well.... I like campy films but this one just went nowhere with me.... 2.5/8

32 Malasana Street (Spain-2020)

Horror: A family moves from the countryside to Madrid in the mid 70's to better their situation but soon realize something is wrong with their young son. Nothing knew here but hey, it was good.... 5.0/8

The Changeling (1980) ... 6.0/8

Had pretty much forgotten most of the plot on this one but once the kiddie wheel chair showed up it sparked memories. This one was still great 30 years after seeing for it the first time.
Wow, hadn't thought of this one in a very long time. My only viewing was around 1984 or so, when I got my own place with cable TV. Was disappointed that "changeling" didn't mean what I thought it did, but it was a catchy story. Always associated this with 1981's "Ghost Story" with Fred Astaire. Interesting that Melvyn Douglas starred in both.

Trying to squeeze everything I can out of my one subscription to HBO Max (which I had gotten for The Suicide Squad, which was a dud, and Space Jam Legacy which wasn't even there anymore)

Reminiscence: 3.5/8

This one was tough and I can see why it didn't get any buzz nor anyone is seeing it. It's one of those "access other people's memories" type movies. Hugh Jackman becomes obsessed with someone he barely even knew who goes missing. As things go on you find out they did know each other? I dunnoe, I'm still confused.

Superman: The Movie : 5/8

I've seen it before of course, but never graded it. Surely probably deserves a better score but like most old movies, your perception of the movie is influenced by when you see it. Seeing it now vs 40 years ago is very different, and it doesn't quite come off the same. Plus Lois' inner monologue while they are flying has always bugged me. That, and for me personally, Henry Cavill is my Superman. Man of Steel is the most realistic version of the character we've had to date. In the real world Superman would be looked at as an alien threat by the military.

Dune: 4/8

Another movie where it depends on WHEN you see it. Most of it doesn't hold up today, and it can be a bit hard to follow because I don't know most of the actors. They're from before my time. Knowing the actors helps make it easier to follow IMO. Still greatly looking forward to the remake coming out in November. It looks like it could be epic.

Drinking Buddies: 3.5/8

Good cast of Anna Kendrick, Olivia Wilde, Jake Johnson, Ron Livingston and Jason Sedeikis. Not a lot of substance to the movie though. Between the 5 of them there's two couples, and flirting goes on between people who aren't dating. They all drink alot, with 3 of them working at a Beer manufacturer (that I think Wilde's character owns). It could have been really good with the cast, but I feel like nothing really happens in the movie. It's just 90 minutes of actors you know talking and drinking.

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly: 5/8

I've never been a big Eastwood person, and in general Westerns are hit and miss with me. Still, I didn't want to pass up this iconic movie if I had a chance to watch it. There's no dialogue for the first 11 minutes which was a bit of a surprise. Great score, a number of iconic themes you've heard over the past 4 years. I'm not sure if they originated with this movie or not, but still helps pull you in regardless. To my surprise, Eastwood doesn't necessarily play a good guy. Movie audio has come a long way. You can totally tell them dubbed over all of the dialogue over from a sound studio. You're not hearing anything that was filmed on set. Train tracks scene, damn. Not sure it needs to be 3 hours long. Could have cut 30 mins.

Saw a rather strange movie this week, "The Card Counter." While on the surface it's about gambling, deep down it was about something entirely different, something very dark. 5/8

Batteries Not Included: /8

I guess there's a reason I never saw this as a kid. Couldn't even make it half way through. Not one of Spielberg's best choices. Thankfully it didn't end Brad Bird's (Incredibles 1 &2, Mission Impossible 4, Ratatouille) career before it started.

Best in Show: 4.5/8

Great cast, but a lot of hit or miss jokes for me.

Maid in Manhattan: 6/8

I voluntarily relinquish my man card . I really enjoyed this RomCom with Jennifer Lopez, Ralph Fiennes and Stanley Tucci. A Senatorial candidate falls for a hotel maid, thinking she is a socialite, when he sees her trying on a wealthy woman's dress.

Trying to squeeze everything I can out of my one subscription to HBO Max (which I had gotten for The Suicide Squad, which was a dud, and Space Jam Legacy which wasn't even there anymore)

Reminiscence: 3.5/8

This one was tough and I can see why it didn't get any buzz nor anyone is seeing it. It's one of those "access other people's memories" type movies. Hugh Jackman becomes obsessed with someone he barely even knew who goes missing. As things go on you find out they did know each other? I dunnoe, I'm still confused.

Superman: The Movie : 5/8

I've seen it before of course, but never graded it. Surely probably deserves a better score but like most old movies, your perception of the movie is influenced by when you see it. Seeing it now vs 40 years ago is very different, and it doesn't quite come off the same. Plus Lois' inner monologue while they are flying has always bugged me. That, and for me personally, Henry Cavill is my Superman. Man of Steel is the most realistic version of the character we've had to date. In the real world Superman would be looked at as an alien threat by the military.

Dune: 4/8

Another movie where it depends on WHEN you see it. Most of it doesn't hold up today, and it can be a bit hard to follow because I don't know most of the actors. They're from before my time. Knowing the actors helps make it easier to follow IMO. Still greatly looking forward to the remake coming out in November. It looks like it could be epic.

Drinking Buddies: 3.5/8

Good cast of Anna Kendrick, Olivia Wilde, Jake Johnson, Ron Livingston and Jason Sedeikis. Not a lot of substance to the movie though. Between the 5 of them there's two couples, and flirting goes on between people who aren't dating. They all drink alot, with 3 of them working at a Beer manufacturer (that I think Wilde's character owns). It could have been really good with the cast, but I feel like nothing really happens in the movie. It's just 90 minutes of actors you know talking and drinking.

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly: 5/8

I've never been a big Eastwood person, and in general Westerns are hit and miss with me. Still, I didn't want to pass up this iconic movie if I had a chance to watch it. There's no dialogue for the first 11 minutes which was a bit of a surprise. Great score, a number of iconic themes you've heard over the past 4 years. I'm not sure if they originated with this movie or not, but still helps pull you in regardless. To my surprise, Eastwood doesn't necessarily play a good guy. Movie audio has come a long way. You can totally tell them dubbed over all of the dialogue over from a sound studio. You're not hearing anything that was filmed on set. Train tracks scene, damn. Not sure it needs to be 3 hours long. Could have cut 30 mins.
Loving HBO Max, more for TV shows (Person of Interest, Big Bang Theory, Young Sheldon), but some good movies too, all the Jurassic Parks, Harry Potters (Which I have only seen the first one)

Loving HBO Max, more for TV shows (Person of Interest, Big Bang Theory, Young Sheldon), but some good movies too, all the Jurassic Parks, Harry Potters (Which I have only seen the first one)

I find it very lacking. Most of what they have I own or can watch elsewhere.

I guess it depends on what else you have

Three movies that hold up rather well.
Dracula (1931) Bela Leguisi
Frankenstein (1931) Karloff
The Wolf Man (1941) Chaney

Particularly Wolfman

Abbot and Costell Meet Frankenstein is incredibly good also.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2: (2011) ... 6.0/8

Of course HBO-MAX would bring this back after I lost it when I pulled the plug with Spectrum. I had seen the previous 7 and the first hour of the 8th one when HBO-MAX took them off. Well, luckily I discovered this one on E! and finally finished the series. The last was by favorite!!!!

Superhost (US-2021)

Horror: Vloggers looking to improve ratings stay at a bed and breakfast where they find the host to be extremely unusual. But is she dangerous???? This was surprisingly good! ... 5.5/8

Howl (UK-2015)

Horror: Passengers on a train get a fright when it stalls in the woods as sounds of howling are heard in the distance. This was interesting .... 5.0/8

Run. (2020)
A wheelchair bound teenager tries to uncover her mother's intentions when she makes some alarming discoveries about the medications she's taking.

Rock solid thriller available on Hulu. Very reminiscent of "Misery." Sarah Paulsen is so good at playing reprehensible people and the actress who plays the girl is disabled in real life, which brings great authenticity to the role. Less than 90 minute runtime and a very satisfying ending.

6/8

Four Good Days (2020) 5/8 Meryl Streep and Mila Kunis star as a mother and daughter trying to battle the daughter's drug addiction and help her through detox and into recovery. Streep and Kunis put on great performances. A little slow, put only about 90 minutes long so they didn't drag it out too much.

Marked Woman (1937) - A typical Warner Brothers' crime film. It is interesting to see Bogie before he made it as a leading man. Good turn by Bette Davis. Based on the true story of the take down of Lucky Luciano.

6/8

Cannibal Holocaust (1980) ... 5.0/6

<
rewatch>

I had seen this on a grainy VHS print which claimed to be uncut a long time ago. When I saw that it was on Shudder and they claimed that their version was the most complete it turned into a must re-watch. This version was much better but still extremely disturbing to watch and I had to look away a few times. Cannibal Holocaust is a found footage film about a film crew that went deep into the jungle to document cannibalistic tribes. Well, they never came back but the film was eventually discovered.

Ten days after this film originally premiered in Italy the director was arrested and charged with murder of the actors in the film. In order to have the appearance of this film being real the actors signed an agreement to disappear for a year. I was convinced that the unknown actress that was impaled in the movie was really murdered and I still have no idea how they filmed that scene..... anyhow he was cleared of the charges but claims that the movie was based off of actual events that occurred in Africa and that he had the original film. Be warned as Cannibal Holocaust uncut does show actual people being murdered in a scene called "The Last Road to H@ll". It is very difficult to watch as well as the actual killings of animals which they would eat. This movie was made for shock value and some still say it is the most shocking movie around and for me it is up there with the better movies of this genre like....

Jungle Holocaust
Canibal Ferox
Mountain of the Cannibal God
The Green Inferno
Eaten Alive

Both flicks have Jack Carson in supporting roles and both have Jackie Gleason in a small role. “Navy Blues" was Gleason's film debut.

Speaking of Gleason... here's clip from the 1942 film Orchestra Wives
look for Gleason and Cesar Romero (AKA - The Joker - TV's Batman)

Glenn Miller and company - song nominated for Oscar / lost to "White Christmas" (film 'Holiday Inn')

And this song is better than half the songs on the latest Rolling Stone's NEW 500 best songs of all time.

:>---

EGA

Superhost (US-2021)

Horror: Vloggers looking to improve ratings stay at a bed and breakfast where they find the host to be extremely unusual. But is she dangerous???? This was surprisingly good! ... 5.5/8
This guy?
T7IBI7LOONE3XJYXMSYBO5HVBQ.png

Old Cleveland area guys will understand.

Passenger 57: 4.5/8

Free on Roku, a decent enough watch even though it was Wesley Snipes and a bunch of nobodies.

Final Score 4.5/8

It had an interesting cast so I gave it a shot. Basically terrorists plant a bomb at a soccer match Dave Batista just happens to be attending. It had a bit of a Die Hard feel but not nearly enough to make it Die Hard. Still not a bad watch if you're looking for an action movie you haven't seen.

The Man With the Iron Mask 3.5/8

Watched this last week, forgot to mention it as part of my "squeeze every penny out of HBO Max". Pretty dumb story overall and oddly I think it had more (PG-13) sex scenes than actual fight scenes for an action movie.

Superman 2: 5/8

Like the first, it's just different seeing it now instead of 40 years ago. They don't hold up the same way. I had to chuckle at the part where the crowd goes "oh my god, they killed Superman! Let's get'em!" like they were going to succeed in killing Zod, etc...when Superman himself couldn't.

Hardball 5.5/8

Been wanting to buy this but haven't found it cheap yet. HBO Max came through. Have always enjoyed this film. It's weird seeing a super young Michael B Jordan on screen with other veteran actors still around today. If I'm not mistaken, this was his first role. He plays an 8yr old, but is probably 10 or 11.

Bangkok Dangerous 3.5/8

Another HBO Max freebie. Despite being a Nicolas Cage film, there wasn't much interesting here. He plays an assassin takes a job in Bangkok that goes wrong.

2 Days In The Valley: 5/8

A comedy this is not HBO Max. That's easy to tell from the title card. A good crime movie though. I guess you could maybe call it a dark comedy. Decent cast. No A-listers, but plenty of names you know.

Bio-Dome: 4/8

When I was younger, I think this was one of only 2 Paulie Shore movies I liked. This one isn't much but still has some humor that holds up. Also, a cameo by Tenacious D that I forgot about. It's a movie that will still appeal to plenty, the comedy will just be hit or miss for many. There's even a Spaceballs reference.

The Craft: 4.5/8

Don't think I ever saw all of this. A lot of up and comers fill out the background cast.

Disaster Movie: 3/8

Didn't expect much, didn't get much. A few good laughs, but mostly really bad ones (in funnyness and taste). They kill Kim Kardashian, Miley Cyrus and Dr. Phil though. It mostly just made me want to go watch the movies they were making fun of. Bonus point for, instead of killing off Alvin and the Chipmunks, making them demonic and rabid killers who sing goth rock.