What Movies Did You Watch in September 2021?

need to rewatch that. A very pleasant surprise. Ben Affleck plays an assassin who's also high functioning on the autism spectrum.
It's been on TV this week and watched it from the beginning again. Had been a minute since I saw it straight through.

Speaking of Gleason... here's clip from the 1942 film Orchestra Wives
look for Gleason and Cesar Romero (AKA - The Joker - TV's Batman)

Glenn Miller and company - song nominated for Oscar / lost to "White Christmas" (film 'Holiday Inn')

And this song is better than half the songs on the latest Rolling Stone's NEW 500 best songs of all time.

:>---

EGA
I just watched the video. What a happy surprise to see the Nicholas Brothers' dance routine at the end. I am a Fred Astaire and, even more so, a Gene Kelly fan, but, the Nicholas Brothers were the best dancers of all time.

The Eddy Duchin Story. 4/8 Why? Because it was on the front page of my favorite russian site. Why? I don't know.

Tin Cup: 4.25/8

I'm usually a fan of most of Kevin Costner's work but didn't love this. I think in part because his character wasn't all that likable, and the ending was too far fetched.

The Voices 3.75/8

I'm usually a shoe-in for anything with Ryan Reynolds, but this leaned far more weird than funny. The best part of the movie was the Ensemble Cast musical number during the credits, which had exactly nothing to do with the movie itself.

Followed Cinci kid Tyrone Power from Eddie Duchin to Witness for the Prosecution then Charles Laughton to Advise and Consent.

Witness for the Prosecution: 8/8 Watching old movies or based on popular stories, it's hard to tell if they're predictable because you've seen so many movies by directors and writers that were influenced by it or if it was so in it's own right. Don't care. This watches like a stage play, keeping to Agatha Christies' I imagine. "Old" Dietrich had some gams. Power was excellent in a British movie, I wonder how that came about?

Advise and Consent: 8/8 in capitals. Washington Politics, brilliant performances by Walter Pridgeon and Laughton as indirect adversaries. I can imagine a lot of tv shows, West Wing, Madam President... got their basics from this. Free on youtube.

Fast and Furious 9 (2021) 1/8 Very disappointing. As a fan of the franchise, I have enjoyed all of these except for the Tokyo Drift one. This was just way too outrageous. First, in 8 sequels there was never a mention of Dom and Mia's brother. Not once,despite Dom's family, family, family crap in every sequel. Give me a break. Second, a muscle car in space!?! Really!?! I almost felt like this was suppose to be a spoof movie. There are several lines where they are obviously poking fun of themselves. Glad I didn't pay to see it the theater. I would have been pissed if I dropped $40 on tickets and popcorn for that crap.

Fast and Furious 9 (2021) 1/8 Very disappointing. As a fan of the franchise, I have enjoyed all of these except for the Tokyo Drift one. This was just way too outrageous. First, in 8 sequels there was never a mention of Dom and Mia's brother. Not once,despite Dom's family, family, family crap in every sequel. Give me a break. Second, a muscle car in space!?! Really!?! I almost felt like this was suppose to be a spoof movie. There are several lines where they are obviously poking fun of themselves. Glad I didn't pay to see it the theater. I would have been pissed if I dropped $40 on tickets and popcorn for that crap.

watching that as we speak. Don't have high hopes.

The Beyond (1981) ... 6.0

Re-watch....
This one is still great.
A young woman inherits an old hotel in Louisiana where, following a series of supernatural "accidents", she learns that the building was built over one of the entrances to Hell.

All the unidentifiable creatures that show up in my basement, I think I may have the same problem.

Fast 9: 4/8

Preposterous, yes. Fun, yes. There's nothing fantastical about this one other than the absurdity of them going to space. I will say, one thing the Fast franchise does very well is building an expansive universe where they weave characters from past movies in and out of the franchise, which I enjoy. Also continuing to find ways to honor and include Paul Walker's character.

When Harry Met Sally: 4.5/8

Not bad, but not super entertaining. Maybe because the "will they, won't they" concept has been done to death since.

Just saw "Cop Shop". Not nearly as high as the body count in the John Wick flicks, but I would say it hit double figures. Has gotten good reviews. Incredible performance by the female deputy. 6/8

The Conjuring 3: The Devil Made Me Do It (2021) 5/8 Not a bad addition to the Conjuring universe. A little slow at time but still entertaining. Based on real events. I always wonder how much of the events in these movies are true. I always think they are probably BS, but Ed Warren's character has a great line in the movie something along the lines of if you believe in God then you better start believing in the Devil.