Week 4: Elder(2-1) vs. St. Edward(3-0)

Extracting the positives is going to help this team a lot more than pouting about a blow out loss to one of the better teams in the state.
Pboy doesn’t know anything about competitive athletics. He just sees Elders got whooped, O Line stinks and he has all the answers. Pboy ?show!

Pboy and some others are into the “size” thing. Can Billy Blocker do what we need him to do more often then not, that’s what actually counts.

X’s two year starter at RG, who played center this week due to injuries is 5’11” 212. Not always about size
What’s the height & weight of the rest of the Line? There’s at least 2 OL over 300 lbs. It’s not always about pure size, bc if your footwork sucks, you won’t be effective either. However, I’d take my chances with a bigger guy and avg footwork than a technically sound Linemen who is way undersized.

Measurables matter, this isn’t a movie, it’s real football, heart doesn’t win games alone.

Pboy, why the Elder O Line the weak link? Is it size,skill, lack of development,Coaching?

I called the Pboy meltdown after this Game?

Pboy, why the Elder O Line the weak link? Is it size,skill, lack of development,Coaching?

I called the Pboy meltdown after this Game?
What meltdown? I’m not happy, but it’s far from a meltdown. And to answer your question, the struggles are almost entirely related to being undersized across the Line. When you play teams like PC, EDs, and both Xs, that have these big DLines, there’s not much you can do.

I didn’t think it was a huge deal during camp when 2 OL quit, but it turned out to be pretty crippling. The OL still would likely struggle with them, but probably not as much. Also, the OH transfer is injured and I’m not sure he’d even be eligible after this next game.

The normal starting line is Rt tackle to left 6’2” 255 , 5’11” 212, 6’5 285, 6’3 280, 6’4 270.
Yeah, those last 3 linemen you listed are going to make up for the limited size of the first 2.

Size, speed, and skill are more important than any intangible. Now, to be a truly great player you need both. Don’t buy into this corny Hollywood bs. Anyone remember that lame DeLaSalle movie from a few years ago? They tried to make it seem like they dominated bc they had better coaching and more heart and it’s bs. They don’t tell you in that game where they beat Long Beach Poly, they had friggin Maurice Jones Drew at RB. Point is, talent is the most important factor to win, not the only one, but the most important

When Elder has made deep/state title type runs over the past title runs over the past 20 years they have had big and dominant O lines. It all starts up front. If you had Jacob James, Beckenhaupt, Kandra etc up front this team would be a state title contender.

This team won't quit and will give it their all, I think people just need to temper their expectations against teams like Eds, Pc, x etc.

When Elder has made deep/state title type runs over the past title runs over the past 20 years they have had big and dominant O lines. It all starts up front. If you had Jacob James, Beckenhaupt, Kandra etc up front this team would be a state title contender.

This team won't quit and will give it their all, I think people just need to temper their expectations against teams like Eds, Pc, x etc.
I can temper my expectations for this year, but it shouldn’t always be that way. One thing Ramsey said about playing a tough schedule is guys like to look back on Saturdays and say they played against a kid at OSU or Clemson. Which is fine, but wouldn’t you rather be able to tell people you played with that kid and won a state title with him?

Also, when Elder has made deep runs, the schedule hasn’t been a grind. IDK if it’s coincidence or not, but playing these brutal meat grinder schedules never really pays off. And I know Elder takes what they can get, but there’s no quantifiable evidence playing a brutal schedule has ever paid any real dividends.

They shouldn't ever be put on a running clock at home against St. Ed's or any team from Ohio. I think that is a fair expectation. Like I said previously, the turnovers led to a blowout. Ball control is something they can fix. They will be more competitive next time around. They will learn and get better.

They shouldn't ever be put on a running clock at home against St. Ed's or any team from Ohio. I think that is a fair expectation. Like I said previously, the turnovers led to a blowout. Ball control is something they can fix. They will be more competitive next time around. They will learn and get better.
Every single opponent moving forward is going to be blitzing the hell out of Elder. The Offense needs to learn to recognize those blitzes and get the ball out quickly.

Yeah, those last 3 linemen you listed are going to make up for the limited size of the first 2.

Size, speed, and skill are more important than any intangible. Now, to be a truly great player you need both. Don’t buy into this corny Hollywood bs. Anyone remember that lame DeLaSalle movie from a few years ago? They tried to make it seem like they dominated bc they had better coaching and more heart and it’s bs. They don’t tell you in that game where they beat Long Beach Poly, they had friggin Maurice Jones Drew at RB. Point is, talent is the most important factor to win, not the only one, but the most important
It is funny you mention that as over the weekend I stumbled across a story that ranked the top 50 teams of all time in the country. That De LaSalle team with Maurice Jones Drew in 2001 was ranked 2nd best team of all time. It said 5 of their players from that team made it to the NFL.

The Aquinas team that played Elder was in the top 50.

It is funny you mention that as over the weekend I stumbled across a story that ranked the top 50 teams of all time in the country. That De LaSalle team with Maurice Jones Drew in 2001 was ranked 2nd best team of all time. It said 5 of their players from that team made it to the NFL.

Yeah, they won all those games by playing hard, it totally had nothing to do with being able to pull kids from all over the Bay Area up to Sacramento with almost no competition.

I can temper my expectations for this year, but it shouldn’t always be that way. One thing Ramsey said about playing a tough schedule is guys like to look back on Saturdays and say they played against a kid at OSU or Clemson. Which is fine, but wouldn’t you rather be able to tell people you played with that kid and won a state title with him?

Also, when Elder has made deep runs, the schedule hasn’t been a grind. IDK if it’s coincidence or not, but playing these brutal meat grinder schedules never really pays off. And I know Elder takes what they can get, but there’s no quantifiable evidence playing a brutal schedule has ever paid any real dividends.
Or to say you played against and beat them.

Tardy is laughing at my post, but Elder Football shouldn’t exist just to be cannon fodder for Elite programs. And I know they don’t view themselves that way, but I’m disturbed by how many people on here think that way.

Again you prove how much you just don't get it.
I guess not, bc I think the goal should be to the best program in the state, not an embodiment of the song Glory Days by Bruce Springsteen.

Again, I’m really bothered by this idea they’re not supposed to be as good as X or Eds and it doesn’t matter if they get their teeth kicked in as long as they have stories to share.

Underdog programs don’t have the resources and they sure as hell don’t have the facilities Elder does. Using college football as an example, Elder is above the level of an Iowa, but not quite the level of an Ohio St. I’d say they’re closer to what Penn St is right now.

Last edited:

I guess not, bc I think the goal should be to the best program in the state, not an embodiment of the song Glory Days by Bruce Springsteen.

Again, I’m really bothered by this idea they’re not supposed to be as good as X or Eds and it doesn’t matter if they get their teeth kicked in as long as they have stories to share.

Underdog programs don’t have the resources and they sure as hell don’t have the facilities Elder does. Using college football as an example, Elder is above the level of an Iowa, but not quite the level of an Ohio St. I’d say they’re closer to what Penn St is right now.
No one is arguing otherwise, they should be an elite football program in the state and many would consider them to be. I don't think anyone believes they aren't supposed to be as good as X or Eds, but some years their teams will be better than Elder. It happens.

It is also true, that when 95% of the team isn't going to be playing football on Saturdays in college, that it's ok to have the mentality that, hey we played against that guy. And the story is always better when you beat that guy. The '08 team lost to Aquinas, but played them tough. Gio Bernard was on that team. Chris Carter's kid was on that team. It's fun to play against those types of teams. I'm not advocating for playing IMG, because we all saw what happened to LaSalle.

No one is arguing otherwise, they should be an elite football program in the state and many would consider them to be. I don't think anyone believes they aren't supposed to be as good as X or Eds, but some years their teams will be better than Elder. It happens.

It is also true, that when 95% of the team isn't going to be playing football on Saturdays in college, that it's ok to have the mentality that, hey we played against that guy. And the story is always better when you beat that guy. The '08 team lost to Aquinas, but played them tough. Gio Bernard was on that team. Chris Carter's kid was on that team. It's fun to play against those types of teams. I'm not advocating for playing IMG, because we all saw what happened to LaSalle.
Good, then we’re on the same page.

Elder Football is a great program, they are not an elite program. They are still striving to be elite and nothing wrong with that.

Elder Football is a great program, they are not an elite program. They are still striving to be elite and nothing wrong with that.
Nothing wrong with that at all, as long as they keep striving to reach elite status. I know that’s what the coaches & players want, I just don’t always get that same vibe from some of the fans.

Nothing wrong with that at all, as long as they keep striving to reach elite status. I know that’s what the coaches & players want, I just don’t always get that same vibe from some of the fans.
Good thing the fans are the ones with the least amount of influence into that goal.