Quinn Ewers

Can't he still make a lot of money in high school off of this? A top basketball recruit, Mikey Williams, just signed something that basically ensures him a boatload of money.

Aside from the NIL implications, the act of skipping your senior year is nothing new. Basketball players have been reclassifying for a long time. Meechie just did this last year.

Can't he still make a lot of money in high school off of this? A top basketball recruit, Mikey Williams, just signed something that basically ensures him a boatload of money.
From the article:

While this avenue of making money off NIL has become formally available to college athletes in the past month, it’s not allowed for high school athletes in Texas. The state’s University Interscholastic League informed the Ewers family in an email Monday that any attempt for Ewers to profit off his NIL would be in violation of Texas’ recent legislation regarding Name Image and Likeness.

From the article:

While this avenue of making money off NIL has become formally available to college athletes in the past month, it’s not allowed for high school athletes in Texas. The state’s University Interscholastic League informed the Ewers family in an email Monday that any attempt for Ewers to profit off his NIL would be in violation of Texas’ recent legislation regarding Name Image and Likeness.
Ah, got it. Yeah, Williams is from California so guess the laws vary from state to state in regards to high schoolers. Although, one would think it should be allowed.

JT Daniels graduated a year and a half early to enroll at USC. He was already 18 by the time he was a JR, but it’s happened before. I wouldn’t get too worried about this becoming the norm, this is very much an exception to the rule. And at some point, the NCAA is going to put a framework in place that reigns in NIL.

Highly doubt it, The horse has left the barn and their is no bringing him back.
There’s going to be way too many schools left in the dust. And if it becomes way too much like a semi pro league, it will lose a lot of fans. I feel the need to reiterate, the kids deserve to make $ off their image and any legitimate marketing activities they’re involved in. However, the system as is, is going to be abused to the point where only the richest Programs will have any hope of competing. And by richest, I mean Texas, Texas A&M, ND, and Oregon. Stanford could also be up there, but they’re not as committed to Football. IDC how successful Bama, OSU, and Clemson are, if they want to get into a spending war with any of these schools, they’ll lose.

And by richest, I mean Texas, Texas A&M, ND, and Oregon. Stanford could also be up there, but they’re not as committed to Football. IDC how successful Bama, OSU, and Clemson are, if they want to get into a spending war with any of these schools, they’ll lose.
No, they won't : https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-qb-bryce-young-already-signed-800k-nil-deals
Once again NCAA has little control over the big boys. It is going to be a spending war with the top programs winning out.

FWIW Quinn is a year old for his grade. If he reclassified, he would be back in his original class.

Read last night that if he does reclassify, it won’t be in time for fall camp on Tuesday. Which, IMO, makes me think it won’t happen.

FWIW Quinn is a year old for his grade. If he reclassified, he would be back in his original class.

Read last night that if he does reclassify, it won’t be in time for fall camp on Tuesday.
But he could start cashing in on his name, why risk playing sr. year in H.S. to risk a serious injury.

But he could start cashing in on his name, why risk playing sr. year in H.S. to risk a serious injury.

The same reason most players who are a given to be drafted dont sit out their non COVID junior/senior year in college. They want to play. As good as Ewers is, I don’t see him passing up a 7 months in college McCord this year, let alone a year and a half in college Stroud. If Ewers had been on campus since Jan? I might think different.

I think if he does, the reason won’t so he can start cashing in on his NIL, although he’ll say it is. It’ll be so he can get the NFL a year earlier. Just my opinion on the matter.

I think what’s being overlooked when we’re comparing the well-heeled schools (Oregon, aTm, ND et al) to the serious blue bloods (Alabama, Clemson, tOSU) is that — past a certain point — better pay likely will not overcome better prospects at winning titles over time.

My hot take is that schools such as a tOSU can better pitch post-football career prospects (making connections/marketing, landing gigs and deals due to general name & legacy) than some other schools.

My super hot take is that, if two programs are equal in caliber, an offer of “$150K plus the services of a financial advisor” beats a competing offer of “$200K.”

I think what’s being overlooked when we’re comparing the well-heeled schools (Oregon, aTm, ND et al) to the serious blue bloods (Alabama, Clemson, tOSU) is that — past a certain point — better pay likely will not overcome better prospects at winning titles over time.

My hot take is that schools such as a tOSU can better pitch post-football career prospects (making connections/marketing, landing gigs and deals due to general name & legacy) than some other schools.

My super hot take is that, if two programs are equal in caliber, an offer of “$150K plus the services of a financial advisor” beats a competing offer of “$200K.”

FWIW, Dock, your first hot take isn’t all that hot. It’s been a well used recruiting tactic for OSU for awhile now, dating back to Urban. The athlete/football centered career fair takes place during the active recruiting period for a reason. A lot of kids mention how OSU sets them up down the road for life after football when committing to the Bucks.

I can't see Ohio State, Alabama, Michigan, etc. getting left in the dirt by anyone. I'd argue Michigan is far more likely to get very competitive again as they can literally buy their way there now, and to a lesser extent Penn State. All of those schools have top 6-7 athletic department revenue, historically high level football programs, and enormous alumni and fanbases.

Nike isn't going to be giving hundreds of thousands up to a few million to every kid in Oregon's recruiting class every year. They are going to still be bound by some of the constrictions of being a quality brand but not a true heavyweight. There has to be something resembling near equal return value for the level of outspending being suggested here.

Last edited:
You’ve got to give the kid credit, he thinks he can beat out what tOSU currently has which is pretty arrogant for a 17 year old. I like some arrogance in the QB