Elder Enrollment Strategy

It’s only going to go up, IMO. Anecdotally, I know more than a few Elder guys with young kids in the OHSD. Rapid Run and Dulles are good schools, with education on par with Victory or Visitation. Why not save the 20k or so over the 8 yrs and put that towards Elder tuition?

In this year's class there were 34 different grade schools represented... Elder only has like 13 feeders schools, right?

It will be interesting to see if the current "situation" has any long-term impact on private school enrollment.

In this year's class there were 34 different grade schools represented... Elder only has like 13 feeders schools, right?

I mean, I think you’ll see a higher volume, Not just more geographic representation. I really do believe in 10 yrs, you’ll have 15-20 kids from every class coming from OHS.

It will be interesting to see if the current "situation" has any long-term impact on private school enrollment.

I was concerned in March/April, but with the economy stabilizing, I don’t think their will be any long term impact.

It’s possible, but that would mean these restrictions are ongoing past this year.

Not sure about that. My kids' schools are picking up some enrollment from the shenanigans going on in public schools. But, to be fair, we've lost some also.

Not sure about that. My kids' schools are picking up some enrollment from the shenanigans going on in public schools. But, to be fair, we've lost some also.
Keyword was Long Term. You might see some kids transferring in this year, but I’m not sure that carries over.

Interesting article on what schools are taking advantage of the Ohio Voucher System - you can search by county and city of what private schools are participating.

I am surprised that - St X is so high on the list, Seton is the highest in the GGCL & Elder has more than LaSalle

This is not surprising that Elder had this many. In fact, if Elder didn’t pull the trigger on vouchers a few years ago, they would have had a significant decline in enrollment.

At the time vouchers came out, most just thought of them as for outside families. What families quickly learned is that vouchers can drastically reduce the cost for those already planning on attending Elder.

So not only have they allowed a broader reach for outside students, they have saved the families that would have been forced to look elsewhere because of the high price tag. It essentially cut tuition in half for a whole bunch of families and made it possible for their kids to attend Elder at the lower price point.

Without the voucher program, things might have gotten scary. Hopefully the government doesn’t change the rules again. That noise has died down a bit - does anyone know the latest?

Interesting article on what schools are taking advantage of the Ohio Voucher System - you can search by county and city of what private schools are participating.

I am surprised that - St X is so high on the list, Seton is the highest in the GGCL & Elder has more than LaSalle

X actively solicits parents of its students who live in underperforming school districts to apply for the voucher— something many affluent parents would not think to do— and then, for the parents that X perceives can “afford” it, X also solicits those families to still pay X’s full nominal tuition, so that the voucher essentially becomes an additional gift/grant to the school’s financial aid, given to less well-off students/families... it becomes (for those that choose/are able to do that) almost like a corporate matching gift program— only in this case, the gift is coming from the state of Ohio, rather than from a corporation.

X actively solicits parents of its students who live in underperforming school districts to apply for the voucher— something many affluent parents would not think to do— and then, for the parents that X perceives can “afford” it, X also solicits those families to still pay X’s full nominal tuition, so that the voucher essentially becomes an additional gift/grant to the school’s financial aid, given to less well-off students/families... it becomes (for those that choose/are able to do that) almost like a corporate matching gift program— only in this case, the gift is coming from the state of Ohio, rather than from a corporation.

So you’re saying family A lives in an underperforming school district, yet can afford the tuition. Family A would apply for the grant, get the grant, but still pay full tuition, and the remainder would go to another family who wasn’t as well off financially?

Im guessing there are some tax advantages to those paying the full amount (can they write it off as a donation rather than a tuition payment)? That’s actually pretty generous of those that can afford it. They don’t have to do that, but they choose to for the benefit of someone else.

Reactions: 4GX
So you’re saying family A lives in an underperforming school district, yet can afford the tuition. Family A would apply for the grant, get the grant, but still pay full tuition, and the remainder would go to another family who wasn’t as well off financially?

Im guessing there are some tax advantages to those paying the full amount (can they write it off as a donation rather than a tuition payment)? That’s actually pretty generous of those that can afford it. They don’t have to do that, but they choose to for the benefit of someone else.
Yes— it is VERY generous of a family to do that— as you aptly note, they don’t have to do that— but I know some (whom I‘ve spoken to at the monthly St. X alumni lunches) who in fact ARE doing this...

Yes— it is VERY generous of a family to do that— as you aptly note, they don’t have to do that— but I know some (whom I‘ve spoken to at the monthly St. X alumni lunches) who in fact ARE doing this...
Is doing this even legal? Honest question.

Im not gonna lie, I kinda had the same thought but didn’t want to seem combative.

Like using the system how it’s not intended (fraud). I’m not accusing at all, but the thought did cross my mind. I’m thinking no because the family is eligible for the voucher, even though they are choosing to pay more. It’s the states program, they are just taking advantage of it. It really just seems like a scholarship fund parents are contributing to.

Honestly, a lot of times, at the edge of legal is creative.

Last edited:

Thinking the same thing. Wife says, what about it, if anything is Illegal? Especially if the “grant” was honestly received. Very interesting to say the least. Definitely generous though if really happening.

I’m no expert in these legal matters— but, it seems to me that all the family has to do is simply use the voucher (along with the additional amount of X’s normal tuition above the voucher amount)— and then elect to make an additional donation (in the amount of the voucher) to the school’s annual fund (from which the financial aid funds are disbursed to the students with financial need)— in fact, I believe that is how the school actually characterizes these transactions... problem solved.

I’m no expert in these legal matters— but, it seems to me that all the family has to do is simply use the voucher (along with the additional amount of X’s normal tuition above the voucher amount)— and then elect to make an additional donation (in the amount of the voucher) to the school’s annual fund (from which the financial aid funds are disbursed to the students with financial need)— in fact, I believe that is how the school actually characterizes these transactions... problem solved.
The Catholic in me likes this but the taxpayer in me hates this.

It really isn’t that much different than simply making a tax deductible donation to the school, right?

If you have an issue with wealthy families being eligible, I get that, but that’s on the state, it’s their plan.

Reactions: 4GX
It really isn’t that much different than simply making a tax deductible donation to the school, right?

If you have an issue with wealthy families being eligible, I get that, but that’s on the state, it’s their plan.
I think this probably summarizes the situation pretty accurately.

I’ve seen some videos and pictures from open house last night, it seems like elder did a really good job. There seemed to be a lot of interactive activities that the kids were hands-on with. If I was a seventh or eighth grader, I would be pretty excited about the type of things I could get into there.

I have heard Elder did a good job again with an incoming enrollment expected a little over 200 again. I think 200 has to be the magic number each year. There are rumors of some expected lower number of boys in the traditional grade school feeders soon. I think they should be set up to to continue to expand Elder's reach to hit 200 again despite a lower expected pool soon. I think families around the city are seeing the value in private education and will continue to look at schools like Elder. The westside negative stereotypes seem to be going away. Elder from the outside seems look like more of a welcoming school than it has in the past.

200 each year and they’re good.

Agree on the next 3-5 years - have to supplement the loss in their biggest feeders, but they seem to have laid the foundation to do so.

Pie in the sky I guess, but I would love to see over 300 per class. X has done a lot to destroy the diocesan schools. I want Elder to be able to compete with X for Catholic and non-catholic students.