Northwest Ohio Realignment

Has anyone heard the rumor on the new small school conference?

Ottawa Hills
Northwood
Gibsonburg
Hopewell Loudon
Woodmore
Lakota
Tiffin Calvert

North Baltimore
Van Buren

That would be an interest conference for sure, and would fix the primary problems Northwood/OH have in the current TAAC while also including Gibsonburg and Calvert who were both in there for a spell with them. Seems like travel would be a bit problematic with North Baltimore/VB along with Gibsonburg, but it seems like as much of a goldilocks conference as you're going to get with the list of those schools included.

If NB/VB leave the BVC, wouldn't that leave that conference at 11? Might make PH even more interested in a move down that way...

If that did come to pass, you'd have a weird situation in the NWOAL, with a clear demarcation between certain schools and almost half of your conference openly talking about disliking their situation.

Still also leaves the question of who would be team #8 in the NBC, because I'm not convinced OH wants back in based on the last year. One has to wonder if they're stuck at 7 what Maumee would do (or what the rest of the conference would do to Maumee).

That would be an interest conference for sure, and would fix the primary problems Northwood/OH have in the current TAAC while also including Gibsonburg and Calvert who were both in there for a spell with them. Seems like travel would be a bit problematic with North Baltimore/VB along with Gibsonburg, but it seems like as much of a goldilocks conference as you're going to get with the list of those schools included.

If NB/VB leave the BVC, wouldn't that leave that conference at 11? Might make PH even more interested in a move down that way...

If that did come to pass, you'd have a weird situation in the NWOAL, with a clear demarcation between certain schools and almost half of your conference openly talking about disliking their situation.

Still also leaves the question of who would be team #8 in the NBC, because I'm not convinced OH wants back in based on the last year. One has to wonder if they're stuck at 7 what Maumee would do (or what the rest of the conference would do to Maumee).

I am not sure, I heard meetings have taken place and Northwood's AD is on the record saying they want out of the TAAC because of football. The travel to me doesn't make much sense for HL and Calvert to go all the way to OH and Northwood, but they are already going to St. Marys and Gibsonburg right now in the SBC.

If this league does happen what happens to teams like St. Marys, SJCC, Old Fort, New Reigel just stay in the SBC. HL left the BVC to regain their rivalries with the schools closest to them. Why would they jump again, other than they are tired of dealing with Danbury and SMCC and SJCC with football problems.

With the SBC at a 6-7-9 setup it’s very likely that we get Oak Harbor jumping to the NBC for a solid 8 team league and Woodmore joining the SBC River to make that league 6-6-10

For the 2020-2021 school year the SBC is:

Football 6-6-6

Lake: Bellevue, Clyde, Columbian, Norwalk, Perkins, Sandusky
Bay: Edison, Huron, Oak Harbor, Port Clinton, Vermilion, Willard
River: Calvert, Fremont SJCC, Gibsonburg, Hopewell-Loudon, Lakota, Margaretta
-
8 man: Danbury, Sandusky SMCC
No football: New Riegel, Old Fort

Other sports are 7-6-9
(Vermilion in the Lake, Margaretta in the Bay)

The Lake and Bay are currently pretty stable for football with 6 each. The River is in a bit of flux due to uncertainty of SMCC's status regarding 8 man or 11 man football. While Danbury has committed fully to the 8 man idea and joined the Northern 8, SMCC still wants to try 11 man if they can. This uncertainty of how many 11 man schools will be in the River could be affecting the SBC's desire of whether or not to add Woodmore, or perhaps Woodmore's desire to join.

I imagine Fostoria not fielding teams in soccer, JV baseball, etc. would have to be a consideration. Distance and not bringing any ticket sales/concessions to road games probably doesn't help, either.

For the 2020-2021 school year the SBC is:

Football 6-6-6

Lake: Bellevue, Clyde, Columbian, Norwalk, Perkins, Sandusky
Bay: Edison, Huron, Oak Harbor, Port Clinton, Vermilion, Willard
River: Calvert, Fremont SJCC, Gibsonburg, Hopewell-Loudon, Lakota, Margaretta
-
8 man: Danbury, Sandusky SMCC
No football: New Riegel, Old Fort

Other sports are 7-6-9
(Vermilion in the Lake, Margaretta in the Bay)

The Lake and Bay are currently pretty stable for football with 6 each. The River is in a bit of flux due to uncertainty of SMCC's status regarding 8 man or 11 man football. While Danbury has committed fully to the 8 man idea and joined the Northern 8, SMCC still wants to try 11 man if they can. This uncertainty of how many 11 man schools will be in the River could be affecting the SBC's desire of whether or not to add Woodmore, or perhaps Woodmore's desire to join.

SMCC is scheduled for 11-man football

If, and that’s a big if, something like this would come about I’d assume NR and OF come right along with it. Danbury would be a question mark, although there is a history there with all involved.

Right now the River teams need a week 4-10 game because of the Danbury departure. Last year it would have been two weeks in that span had the season not been shortened. If something like that came about again, the Toledo drive would be just as much as anything else they could find.

I imagine Fostoria not fielding teams in soccer, JV baseball, etc. would have to be a consideration. Distance and not bringing any ticket sales/concessions to road games probably doesn't help, either.
I think I missed something. Do you mean Fostoria is a reason that Oak Harbor would not join the SBC? I just think Oak Harbor is very happy in the SBC and have no interest in leaving.

Why would PH losing 2 of the schools close to them make them MORE interested?

If the NWOAL sees no change, PH goes nowhere.

I think I missed something. Do you mean Fostoria is a reason that Oak Harbor would not join the SBC? I just think Oak Harbor is very happy in the SBC and have no interest in leaving.

I read it as if the NBC is at 7, can't find an 8th, and would rather be at 6, they may as well kick out Fostoria over Maumee.

Unless Van Buren sees this new conference as the only way to win in football, I don’t see it as a good move. They’re competitive in quite a few sports as is.

I watched Washington Local Schools BOE approve Whitmer's invitation to the NLL twice before I realized that I had watched WLS BOE approve Whitmer's invitation to the NLL. Somebody made a motion to accept the Recommendations 1-13 of the Consent Agenda, seconded and voted to accept 5-0. #13 is the NLL invitation for Whitmer High School. The Washington Local Schools BOE does not mess around.

G. RECOMMENDATIONS (Consent Agenda)
1. Minutes - Treasurer

2. Acceptance of Tax Rates - Treasurer

3. Purchases over $25,000 - Treasurer

4. FY 2021 Appropriation Modifications - Treasurer

5. Purchases over $25,000 - Superintendent

6. Gifts and Donations

7. School Fees for 2021-2022 School Year

8. Substitute Employee Rate of Pay

9. Salary Schedules

10. Award of Contract Revision - Whitmer High School Track Replacement Project

11. Memorandum of Agreement / TAWLS - STEM Teacher

12. Resolution for Graduation Requirements for the Class of 2021

13. NLL Invitation for Whitmer High School

Wow, those priorities are really screwed up. Here, I fixed them.

1. Resolution for Graduation Requirements for the Class of 2021 (must pretend kids are first)

2. NLL Invitation for Whitmer High School (BOE not read Yappi? )

3. School Fees for 2021-2022 School Year ( hidden open enrollment student fees, gotcha! )

4. Gifts and Donations ( see next priority )

5. Award of Contract Revision - Whitmer High School Track Replacement Project (how stupid would a school have to be, to not have a track. uh, oops.

6. Salary Schedules (shhh, slip it into the middle so no one notices)

7. Memorandum of Agreement / TAWLS - STEM Teacher ( Union Chief’s daughter gets a STEM certificate. Library? We don't need no frikken library!)

8. Purchases over $25,000 – Treasurer (graft needs be higher but don’t want to be obvious)

9. Substitute Employee Rate of Pay (need to pay the drinking bill of all those ex-teachers)

10. Acceptance of Tax Rates – Treasurer ( like you got a choice )

11. FY 2021 Appropriation Modifications – Treasurer ( no one knows what the hell this means )

12. Minutes – Treasurer ( I was out getting my mocha eggnog cafe'ole' grande, did I miss anything? )

Has anyone heard the rumor on the new small school conference?

Ottawa Hills
Northwood
Gibsonburg
Hopewell Loudon
Woodmore
Lakota
Tiffin Calvert

North Baltimore
Van Buren
I'm not hearing this specifically in my area. But, there is scuttlebutt of functionally the same result, with the SBC-R absorbing the public school TAAC schools. This is not in exclusion to the other SBC-R schools, but with the understanding that Danbury is 8-man this year, SMCC is coming back off of 8-man, and SJCC is close. Thought is, stock up enough teams to effectively guarantee seven 11-man games and a reasonable number of wrestling teams etc., and, if needed, two divisions for other sports when all of the 8-man and no-football schools are added back into the mix.

I've heard of nothing involving expanding southwest, which might be an option only if there is an odd number. Especially with Elmwood no longer in play, as they would make a bridge to other schools listed; and, the addition of Elmwood probably shores up the BVC making VB and NB a little more comfortable in the long run. That addition does for the BVC rather like above scenario for the SBC-R, and builds up a core of 11-man teams (that usually have JV too) to try to quiet the nerves.

I do not see Van Buren leaving the BVC at all, especially with Elmwood coming in. North Baltimore, maybe?

As for the NBC, they are currently at 8, with Maumee replacing Elmwood.

Last edited:
We might even make it to 125 pages with this new SBC / Northwood League stuff floating around. It seems like a lot of loose ends there.

Remember when Northwood was in the old SLL and got their butts handed to them most years? Ken James does.

This is exactly what I’ve been saying. They’ve got a good program, but it’s mostly built on beating up on the little guys. Could they even compete with the bottom NLL teams? I’m not sure they would have won one NBC title with Eastwood and Genoa there every year. I do remember they did have some decent teams in the 90s, but it was never consistent.

There's plans to redevelop the Woodville Mall site including new housing. There's already a population shift towards Northwood and Millbury. And they are open enrollment. Probably a few new trailer parks in Walbridge. Northwood and Lake are looking to change. f they do it cooperatively with Rossford, it could result in substantial growth.

Last edited:
There's plans to redevelop the Woodville Mall site including new housing. There's already a population shift towards Northwood and Millbury. And they are open enrollment. This isn't the same Northwood that was in the SLL. At least they don't plan it to be.
Get out of here. Northwood is junk in most sports and football just beats up on a terrible TAAC. Have they ever even won a playoff game?

There's plans to redevelop the Woodville Mall site including new housing. There's already a population shift towards Northwood and Millbury. And they are open enrollment. Probably a few new trailer parks in Walbridge. Northwood and Lake are looking to change. f they do it cooperatively with Rossford, it could result in substantial growth.
Which is why the maumee people who think that the NBC will be a cakewalk and that they will be competing for league titles on a regular basis are dreaming. Being far and away the biggest school (maumee) won’t translate into wins.

Remember when Northwood was in the old SLL and got their butts handed to them most years? Ken James does.

And that's fine, glad they see what they are and put their kids in a good situation to compete. The only issue is it's kinda on them when as a D5 they go 10-0 and miss the playoffs (which won't happen again now) playing mostly D7s.

But the bigger point if my original post is just how ridiculous of a ride this whole thread has been lol. So many schools going to 3 or 4 different leagues. Getting hard to keep up with.

Get out of here. Northwood is junk in most sports and football just beats up on a terrible TAAC. Have they ever even won a playoff game?
Yes.

Northwood is 2-11 in the playoffs. One of those wins was last years first round which really should not count since everyone made the playoffs.

Northwood's PF/PA in the playoffs = 185/428. Of the 185 PF, 79 came in last years bastardized playoffs.

From 2014-2017 Northwood finished 6-4 in which they essentially lost every out of conference game and then ran through the weak league. In those years there were teams finishing 4-6 and 3-7 ranked ahead of the Rangers in computer points.

Since 2017 the Ranger's open enrollment talent raised. In 2018 they made the playoffs at 9-1 and got whomped 36-6 by Hillsdale. In 2019 they went 10-0 and missed the playoffs which sparked playoff expansion talk which actually just became reality. Thanks Obama. :D

Last edited:
This is exactly what I’ve been saying. They’ve got a good program, but it’s mostly built on beating up on the little guys. Could they even compete with the bottom NLL teams? I’m not sure they would have won one NBC title with Eastwood and Genoa there every year. I do remember they did have some decent teams in the 90s, but it was never consistent.
Northwood had a solid team in 1990/1991(?). The Rangers won the SLL and then preceded to get thumped as they became the smallest school in the league. Earlier demographics pointed to Northwood as the direction people would head in the 1960's which is why Woodville Mall was the area's first modern mall. It happened, sort of, but as time went on people moved more West/SW than East and the city started to fall apart and lost population but as EIB mentions there is proposed new housing coming to the former mall site.

Regardless, as dhsdog mentions, I have no issue with what they have done but I certainly do not feel sorry for them when they miss the playoffs going 10-0. As Ken James cries them missing the playoffs is 100% on him and his schedule. The Ranger's have also used open enrollment very wisely over the last several years poaching some decent talent from the 05.

smalls suggested the notion of a Lake/Northwood merger not long ago and although that is high unlikely it certainly makes sense from a resources standpoint.

Presuming you're correct, exactly what relevance would that have to whether or not they will be growing in population?

Ill believe it when I see it. I’m not rooting against it, but most of the nicer new houses are going up in the Lake, Genoa, Oregon school districts over there. They have a wonderful new school though