OHSAA Mandate

WarriorOne

DEBATE:
Should the OHSAA mandate proof of a Corona Virus vaccine for spectator attendance at football games?

The OHSAA already has set precedence with several other health preventative requirements. Athletes must have a current physical, wear a helmet and mouth guard. Schools have a no-smoking, no alcohol policy.

Perhaps something less restrictive may be less provocative. Maybe they should leave attendance as it is and just segregate those attendees that have been vaccinated and choose to wear a mask.

I was in this discussion over the weekend and it was very interesting.

DEBATE:
Should the OHSAA mandate proof of a Corona Virus vaccine for spectator attendance at football games?

The OHSAA already has set precedence with several other health preventative requirements. Athletes must have a current physical, wear a helmet and mouth guard. Schools have a no-smoking, no alcohol policy.
Apples and oranges.

Schools should have the control and final say over who attends events at their facility. OHSAA has final say on health and safety mandates for their competitors. It isn't the same thing.

Sounds like a discrimination law suit, public school ran from tax payer money. If you take tax paper money you lose your rights to “refuse service” to anyone.

Whether you are for this or against it, I think you have to realize how useless it would be. The vaccination cards are so low tech that they would be faked very easily. Everyone would have one, real or not.
Unless your goal is a covid license, that the government could issue and then charge everyone $75 for.

Whether you are for this or against it, I think you have to realize how useless it would be. The vaccination cards are so low tech that they would be faked very easily. Everyone would have one, real or not.
Unless your goal is a covid license, that the government could issue and then charge everyone $75 for.
Racist.

No.

Imagine thinking additional restrictions and requirements in the name of "public health" are a good idea.

You want health mandates that make sense? Shut down fast food restaurants, put phys. ed back in schools and require adults to exercise daily to curb obesity. Until then, all of these "health" mandates are political BS.

This sounds like a political nightmare waiting to happen if actually put into place. Hopeful for the 2021 season that attendance #'s are increased and we start to see the "traditional" Friday Night slowly return to stadiums all over Ohio.

No on the proof of vaccine. But the key is what percent of capacity will be allowed. That is the number one thing I will be keeping an eye on. Because if it's not a higher number, many (including myself) will probably have to go another season of not being able to get in to many games. And that will suck!

Last edited:
Nope. And hopefully a mask mandate is gone by August as well.
Either way, people are, and have been, ignoring it more and more. Number of places here, East of Y'all, have stopped requiring masks. I can go to some restaurants, groceries, doctors offices, vets, gas stations where they have takend down signs, do not require masks and even telling customers outright they dont need to wear em anymore.

Come football season, if we even have to wear them, you can expect fans to play the game going into the game and when they get to their seats them off. Pretty much how it was at the reds game opening day weekend as well

Separately, I’m going to address each of these that are worthy of addressing.

The Dock responded “The games are outside, anyways.” Although the fresh air decrease transmission, the “outside” does not inoculate you against this virus.

Submitted by thehawg27, “just finished a very successful season wo such Draconian measures .” Although the OHSAA completed the 2020 season, it is debatable whether it was successful.

According to *67, “Schools should have the control and final say over who attends events at their facility. OHSAA has final say on health and safety mandates for their competitors. It isn't the same thing. Surprisingly, I agree with this sentiment. However, we all know it is not true. The OHSAA sets these rules and the police are usually there to enforce them. I am a smoker but if I am caught smoking at a football game I am forced to either leave or extinguish my cigarette.

Weiskittle typed, “Sounds like a discrimination law suit, public school ran from tax payer money. If you take tax paper money you lose your rights to “refuse service” to anyone.” See the above.

According to *67, “Schools should have the control and final say over who attends events at their facility. OHSAA has final say on health and safety mandates for their competitors. It isn't the same thing. Surprisingly, I agree with this sentiment. However, we all know it is not true. The OHSAA sets these rules and the police are usually there to enforce them. I am a smoker but if I am caught smoking at a football game I am forced to either leave or extinguish my cigarette.
The OHSAA sets absolutely no rules about who can and can't attend games at individual schools.

No way! The schools, and OHSAA would lose a lot of money, and they can't afford that, after last year. Also mask mandates need to be gone before August.

You want health mandates that make sense? Shut down fast food restaurants, put phys. ed back in schools and require adults to exercise daily to curb obesity. Until then, all of these "health" mandates are political BS.
What schools took out physical education? A lot of schools I know of not only have the basic PE, but have elective PE classes for things like weightlifting.

The OHSAA sets absolutely no rules about who can and can't attend games at individual schools.

correct. The OHSAA has no jurisdiction over regular season spectators. They could set such a rule, theoretically, for post season, but they never would. They need every spectator they can get.

As of today 35% of all Adults in Ohio have received their 2nd dose of a Vaccination, 50% have at least received their 1st shot and it isn't even May 1st. so in 3.5 months half the adult population will be almost fully vaccinated. its over 3.5 Months until the season starts. If by then if you aren't fully vaccinated its by your choice.
Why should there be attendance and mask mandates at that point.?????
Why should everyone else be punished by the 5-10% who don't get vaccinated?
The Flu can kill you to and only about 45% of the Population gets Flu Shots and it has never been more than 40-60% successful in any one year of stopping you from getting the Flu.
So stay home if you aren't comfortable going to games for the rest of us See ya at a HS FB Stadium somewhere.

Last edited:
No.

Imagine thinking additional restrictions and requirements in the name of "public health" are a good idea.

sounds an awful lot like Communism; that's not very freedom-like of you, brother.