Pete Rose petitions for reinstatement

People usually correlate corked bats with HR's. but it could be a great asset for a single hitters as well. Pete slapped at the ball a lot, and if he was corked it absolutely could have helped him!

With that said, I dont put that in the same realm as Steroids, as steroids are illegal, or gambling of course......

He isnt making it anyways, at least while he is alive. He made his bed and now has to lay in it.
I've said for decades that if Pete had just cooperated with the first investigation, he'd had been in the hall for 20 years by now. He fought it, lied and denied it for so long that he put himself in this spot.

My issue with baseball and really all sports now is they are embracing gambling and i think it's an awful look for the integrity of the games. You now have networks and shows specific to gambling. Personally, the games themselves are enough to entertain me and I don't have enough money to just throw around. I think you will start seeing gambling scandals start to rise because it always does when money is involved.

I've said for decades that if Pete had just cooperated with the first investigation, he'd had been in the hall for 20 years by now. He fought it, lied and denied it for so long that he put himself in this spot.

My issue with baseball and really all sports now is they are embracing gambling and i think it's an awful look for the integrity of the games. You now have networks and shows specific to gambling. Personally, the games themselves are enough to entertain me and I don't have enough money to just throw around. I think you will start seeing gambling scandals start to rise because it always does when money is involved.
It's not the crime, it's the coverup.

If he would have taken another path he likely is in, I concur.

I do believe though that if anything does deserve a lifetime ban it is gambling.

"Cheating" by the Stros, PED's, etc are bad, but are more toward getting an advantage to win games so to me, that is not lifetime bannable.

I know..Pete said he only ever bet on the Reds to win. Even if true, that could hinder games before and/or after said game he did not gamble on. Does he use a closer longer than normal in a game he bet on them to win making him unusable for a couple games after, or even before?

It's not the crime, it's the coverup.

If he would have taken another path he likely is in, I concur.

I do believe though that if anything does deserve a lifetime ban it is gambling.

"Cheating" by the Stros, PED's, etc are bad, but are more toward getting an advantage to win games so to me, that is not lifetime bannable.

I know..Pete said he only ever bet on the Reds to win. Even if true, that could hinder games before and/or after said game he did not gamble on. Does he use a closer longer than normal in a game he bet on them to win making him unusable for a couple games after, or even before?
Absolutely, but we are a very forgiving society and if Pete would have fessed up immediately, he's be in the hall by now, no doubt in my mind. But these guys (pro athletes) are uber-competitive and Pete was the ultimate competitor. He thought he was bigger than the game. You kind of wonder if Pete was in today's world his gambling wouldn't have reached the point where it did. No social media, little concerns for players "off the field" activities. My guess is Pete had been betting on baseball for years - underground. He just got too flippant with it and got caught with the guys he hung around with.
The thing about steroids was there was no rules against it when many of the guys started using it. There may be a 'moral" obligation to play the game as fairly as possible, but we all got caught up in the explosion of home runs.

Absolutely, but we are a very forgiving society and if Pete would have fessed up immediately, he's be in the hall by now, no doubt in my mind. But these guys (pro athletes) are uber-competitive and Pete was the ultimate competitor. He thought he was bigger than the game. You kind of wonder if Pete was in today's world his gambling wouldn't have reached the point where it did. No social media, little concerns for players "off the field" activities. My guess is Pete had been betting on baseball for years - underground. He just got too flippant with it and got caught with the guys he hung around with.
The thing about steroids was there was no rules against it when many of the guys started using it. There may be a 'moral" obligation to play the game as fairly as possible, but we all got caught up in the explosion of home runs.
Eh.
Illegal drugs were always against the rules.
They just never did any drug testing for them.