Excess Deaths

No reason. It will keep you busy for awhile, and the answers from a larger swath of the population might surprise you.

But I don't care about their "answers" because I'm 100% correct. Breathing your mouth farts is nasty and disgusting, and serves no real purpose in stopping the spread of covid.

Further, I don't care if you want to wear your mask like a whatever color wrist-band to show your compassion. Just leave me out of it.

Has anybody provided a link to this yet?

I am asking out of genuine curiosity. FWIW, I think the most accurate prediction would be taking the anticipated death rate for 2020 (which was 8.88 per 1,000 people, up from 8.78 in 2019) applied to the current population number (331 million). That would give 2,939,280 as the total expected deaths for 2020. Even using this baseline has us on pace for more than 400,000 excess deaths this year.
We agree on this projection 100%. Your number (2,939,280) is far closer to reality than the averaging of the last 3 years. The CDC's expected deaths is lazy or incompetent.

Agree to disagree. For cancer, you’re talking about gradual changes over many years. For the flu, you’re talking about the difference between 30k and 60k. This is obviously very different.

Not if you are one of the 30K, or more importantly the family of one of the 30K - that's kind of Biden's message.

With 215K deaths, that's about .0016% of households. Not very many families are setting a plate on Thanksgiving for someone that isn't going to be there. That's close to the number of people that die from lung cancer every year - why hasn't Joe sought to outlaw cigarettes and cigars? It's not about masks and social distancing, it would be about completely stopping the planting and harvesting of tobacco and the production of smoking products..... that seems like an easy choice to make to save 200K people annually. With the flu, the deaths equal Covid's morbidity every 3-4 years, why weren't vaccines and masks and social distancing mandated for the flu?

Japanese men have 1/3rd the rate of heart disease as American men, why not legislate that American men have to eat the same diet and exercise the same as Japanese men? After all, the death rate from heart disease is almost 3X what Covid has. If it's about saving lives, and those lives are important I want to kow why Biden the CDC and other "concerned" people don't go after all disease like Covid?

So how far off am I when I say it's a dehumanizing act of submission?

People wear the mask not because they're afraid of the virus, but because they're afraid of the government?

The government will never forget how easily we surrendered our freedoms?

Most people are saying I'm 3 - 0 on those right there.

Not far off. The most compelling reason for their about face on masking was to use it as a form of control in which people are constantly reminded of the danger covid poses. Certainly there are no solid studies showing that general mask wearing impacts infectious disease spread.

In fact there is a Danish study that is rumored to show that masking has no impact on covid spread. Evidently it's a large, well controlled study and they can't get a major journal to publish the results because it goes against the idea that mask wearing works. This is anti-science by the journals.

And that is your description of your opponent's argument - which you are entitled to, but it doesn't make it true, especially since it is most necessarily involves some large degree of bias.

COVID-19 is very real. It's not fake or made up.

It is overblown in some respects. It is not a plague that is going to wipe out 30% of the population. It's death rate will probably end up being well under 1%. However, while it has little effect on some, like children, it can be devastating in a place like a nursing home. Regardless, it should be taken very seriously by all.

And the other important point of those of us on the other side of your POV is that COVID-19 isn't just a public health issue. It has economic, psychological, social, emotional, religious, political, and governmental aspects to it. Someone who wants to ignore the other aspects of it and, for whatever reasons (we presume they are mostly political), frame this, not just as a serious public health issue, but as a plague that is out to kill us all, is most surely going to cause some degree of harm in all or most of those other aspects of the entire situation. Just as we do not want economists to give out public health advice, we can't let public health experts totally control the entire response because they are not experts in those other fields.

Now, perhaps you would quibble with my description of your side as promoting this as "a plague that is going to kill us all", but I think it's hard to deny that the theme of your underlying argument is pretty much exactly that. And why is that? Why do you have to try so hard to try to persuade people that we have to view this virus' severity as you do? You are clearly disturbed by the fact that we are not as disturbed by these "excess deaths" as you are and you must convince us or, I suppose, we will all die or get sick or something bad will result.

Somewhere between the Chicken Little extreme and the ostrich with head in the sand extreme is the accurate, perfect position to take. It seems to me that as long as you are anywhere toward the center between those extremes, you are within range of the right place to be.
It is NOT hard at all to deny that “the theme of (LC5397)’s underlying argument is pretty much exactly that (i.e.-a plague that is going to kill is all)”— that has NEVER been LC’s argument— and only YOU are characterizing it that way— this is the classic definition of a strawman argument. LC is trying to persuade people who have openly stated that this virus is NOT serious and/or is “no more serious than an average seasonal flu” that they are completely wrong— he is NOT trying to persuade you (or anybody else) that this is the second coming of the bubonic plague (or even the 1918 Spanish Flu). You have this thin veneer of rationality that covers over a thick, heavy substrate of lunacy and ignorance.

There you go again. There is a HUGE difference between saying covid is fake and saying it has been overblown. These two positions do not even exist in the same hemisphere of reasoning.

But you frame your statement to equate the two thereby tarnishing those of us who believe that we overreacted to the covid outbreak and made mistakes such as the lock downs and mandating universal mask wearing in response.

This is the same BS that is employed by you guys when arguing Climate Change. You employ the pejorative "deniers" (as in Holocaust) to try to tarnish honest disagreement on the science.

You are a political hack who has zero understanding of science. Your post here ends any doubt in my mind that you are interested in actually discussing the covid pandemic in any way other then a political one.
This must look awfully familiar-- since you see it in the mirror every morning, when you are shaving— anyone who can claim to have read the commercial airline virus distribution study, and somehow concluded that:
A) Masks don’t work;
B) Masks don’t reduce the spread of the virus as aerosol particles;
C) Masks are not recommended by the study‘s authors;
...is either a science ignoramus, or a complete liar and shameless political hack.

Here's a comprehensive article on the failure of lock downs to stop the spread of infectious disease. This is loaded with lots of links to other good data sources. Worth a read.

The very first line in that linked article cites a false data point (he/she claims that the survival rate from this virus is 997 out of 1000, when virtually ALL reputable epidemiologists put the survival rate at more like 993 or 994 out of 1000– in other words, a mortality rate of 0.6%-0.7%— or more than double what Stacey Rubin is claiming— not sure why I should want to read the rest of it, when it starts off in the very first line with a data falsehood of on the order of 100%-133%...

It would mean more if there was a preventable cause. Kinda like cancer, just in the US 600K die each and every year but we don't panic. Or the flu on a global level, 50M or so people globally in 2018-2019 and roughly 500K annually since then.... no real panic.
No one rational is asking for anyone to panic-- on the contrary, the rational, informed observers are simply asking for the general populace to take simple, easy, cheap methods to keep this virus from NEEDLESSLY causing an excess death total that is 6-7X higher than that caused by the seasonal flu— this virus’s death toll is/was eminently preventable— as has been demonstrated in countries with effective countermeasures (like Viet Nam, Taiwan, New Zealand)— so your argument that it is NOT preventable is just ignorant and silly.

Then why do Texas, Arizona, New Mexico not have the same fire problem? Similar climate. Why does Idaho not have the same problems? Why not Utah or Montana? Why don't we see those problems in Georgia or Florida or Tennessee? "Science" only gets you part of the answer, but it doesn't get you the complete answer.

You understand that before man even existed, there were no glaciers, no polar ice caps. There have also been times where the surface was primarily ice caps. We know climate changes on many planets, we no only see it here, we see it on planets without man. Several times over the eons, the Earth's climate has changed both slowly and rapidly according to various reasons and events. The sciences is really clear on that, what science hasn't told us is how much of the change is man-caused? 1%, 5%, 25%, 50%, or 100%. Seems stupid to panic if it's 1%.
No climate scientist thinks that it is 1% man-made causes— they think It is much higher than that. The climate change that you describe happened over periods thousands (even hundreds of thousands) of times longer than what is happening now— that is precisely WHY it is so worrisome to the climate scientists and geologists— because it is happening SO FAST. 175 years (basically the Industrial Era) is an instant in geologic terms— this change is comparable to changes that took tens of thousands of years to occur, in the earth’s past.

As for your questions about Texas, Arizona and New Mexico— you do understand that those states are NOT forested like the parts of CA, OR, and WA that are burning? You do understand that you need a forest to have a FOREST FIRE? The southeastern part of CA is NOT burning— because it is desert— like Arizona, Nevada, and quite a bit of New Mexico... and the part of Texas that is NOT desert (in the eastern part of the state) gets CONSIDERABLY more rain than the parts of CA, OR, and WA (and yes, parts of ID—in the southwest part of the state adjacent to OR and WA, ID Is ALSO under threat from forest fires)... your geography ignorance is showing.

Probably not. The number of cancer deaths have grown by more than 50% over a 30 year span. We've seen better marketing, but the terror is still the same. We've seen flu deaths vary by 100% over the span of 2 years and no real fear mongering.
When did flu deaths ”vary by 100% over the span of 2 years”? Name the years, and cite your data source.

This statement manages to be both clueless and cruel. Nice job.

As for "public health officials have told them...." health officials have also told them over & over & over & over again how deadly the covid is. Talk about contradictory messaging that freezes people in place.

And your claims that it won't hurt kids to not go to school is complete BS and you know it. I have yet to find a credible expert who disagrees with the basic premise that closing the schools is hurting kids. The ONLY argument is if the damage to the kids is justified to protect them and their teachers from covid.

And for the record I and others have linked to dozens of articles showing that the school lock downs are hurting kids big time. Throwing the NY Post, Daily Mail and Murdoch out there is just cheap deflection from the topic.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - those advocating school shutdowns are guilty of child abuse.
Clueless describes you perfectly— you just made my point for me again— you ended up with your standard BS refrain “school shutdowns are child abuse”— I did NOT say that “school shutdowns won’t hurt kids”— but there is a HUGE difference between saying that ”school shutdowns hurt kids” and “school shutdowns are child abuse”— you like to use that phrase like a pro-abortionist talking about limits on abortion “killing women and hurting women’s health”— it’s an absurd, jingoistic refrain, designed to illicit an extreme reaction— but it has no basis in reality-- Child abuse is NOT keeping a kid home from school— it is physically or mentally assaulting a child, and the like— keeping a kid home from school (and home schooling them) is NOT child abuse— many people do it for their kids’ entire childhood— and produce some of the highest achieving children in our society.

As for ignorant people NOT listening to their elected officials (and their public health officials) and electing not to get care— you can’t stop people from making stupid personal health decisions— that happens all the time (it’s why we have smokers and alcoholics and hugely obese people, despite incredible efforts to dissuade them from those destructive behaviors)— but people are going to do stupid things, no matter what good advice they get from their elected officials and health care advisors— we’ve had ALL too much of that during this epidemic.... I don‘t feel any empathy for people who won’t listen to widely promulgated good advice— and HAVE NOT BEEN TOLD that they should NOT go to the doctor with health emergencies or even for regular preventative care.

Breathing your mouth farts is nasty and disgusting, and serves no real purpose in stopping the spread of covid.
Quit being a baby. We have plenty of scientific facts to prove that masks do work.

The original CDC guidance partly was based on what was thought to be low disease prevalence earlier in the pandemic. The legitimate concern that the limited supply of surgical masks and N95 respirators should be saved for health care workers should not have prevented more nuanced messaging about the benefits of masking.
What may have finally convinced the CDC to change its guidance in favor of masks were rising disease prevalence and a clearer understanding that both pre-symptomatic and asymptomatic transmission are possible – even common.

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/4...s-heres-science-behind-how-face-masks-prevent

Reactions: 4GX
First you absolutely lied about what the PRIMARY conclusion from the study was. You threw it out there, without a link, and claimed that it showed mask wearing reduced covid spread on airplanes. The main point of the article was that airplane ventilation & air flow systems combined with interior design greatly reduced covid transmission through the air.

And then to steer the discussion away from your blatant lying you throw out how you think my OPINION of how the debate might impact the election isn't true. What the hell does that have to do with you misrepresenting the results of a scientific study that you cited?
NO, I did not lie about the study’s conclusions— it ABSOLUTELY DOES RECOMMEND MASK WEARING AS A KEY MEANS OF MITIGATING THE SPREAD OF THE VIRUS ON AIRPLANES— AND ELSEWHERE, FOR THAT MATTER! The fact that its “main point” was that airplane ventilation and air flow systems combined with interior design greatly reduced COVID transmission through the air” (OF COURSE IT DOES– it was performed with the help of commercial airline staff— they have a vested interest in highlighting precisely THAT conclusion!) does NOT change the fact that the study’s data VERY CLEARLY SHOW that mask wearring FURTHER ABATES virus spread— sometimes (in various test cases) by 10X the spread from a source NOT WEARING A MASK— but IN ALL CASES, VIRUS SPREAD WAS REDUCED BY WEARING A MASK.

i included the reference to your ridiculous conclusion about the debate last night, to show the parallel to how you can watch an event, and draw a completely spurious conclusion— just as you can (claim to have) read that stidy, and draw EXACTLY the wrong conclusions from it. I didn’t misrepresent the study’s conclusions— YOU DID!

Total BS. You start from the assumption that mass mask wearing works and then lie your way to proving it.

BTW, I came to the conclusion that generalized mask wearing was largely ineffective against infectious disease spread because of all the reading I did on the subject back in March/April that convinced me of this. My "bias" is a direct result of the information I learned in March/April.

And to be clear the first thing I look for in a study are what are the key conclusions and how did they conduct the study. I'm more then willing to change my mind if the data presented is robust and the design of the experiment solid.
I didn‘t lie about anything– you lied about that study’s data and conclusions— because you ARE BIASED. You’ve shown NO ability or willingness to change your mind, if the face of data and results that contradict your (false) entrenched positions.

What's funny is that if you had asked me before the covid hit if I thought general mask wearing would work I would have answered with a cautious yes. I didn't know much about the data supporting mask wearing as it wasn't interesting to me pre-covid. I just assumed that it made sense that masks would work.

Then the outbreak happens and the first recommendations by the CDC, Fauci & the WHO was that we didn't need to wear masks and I thought "wait that sounds dumb". So I hit the literature and in about an hour realized that there were no studies showing that mass mask wearing worked to slow community spread. I was mildly surprised and thought that this is why the "experts" were NOT recommending mask wearing by the general public in March.

So it came as a shock when they switched gears and talked about how important mask wearing was. Then guys like DeWine had the gall to claim that the science said wearing masks works. Knowing that the science DID NOT say this pissed me off. That's how my "bias" on this topic came to be.
Fauci’s initial recommendation (against mask-wearing) was NEVER because masks don’t work (if they didn’t work, surgical teams would not have been wearing them for over 50 years now); his recommendation was made because he feared idiot people creating a run on masks, like they did on toilet paper and hand sanitizer, quite possibly leaving front-line health care workers (who ALREADY had a shortage of PPE) without sufficient protection to do their jobs—especially at a time where we thought the only masks that would do the job were N95 masks— and we did not have sufficient inventory of those, nor sufficient organic, on-shore production capability to rapidly ramp up the supply. Fauci changed (and has been firmly in the camp of mask-wearing) as soon as it became apparent that 1) the virus transmits primarily through aerosol particles; and 2) Mask-wearing is the best way to limit that— and even relatively poor, cheap, reusable cloth masks can do a decent job of mitigating the spread of the virus through aerosol particles... and most reputable epidemiologists firmly agree with him. Redfield certainly does; Birx certainly does; Gottlieb certainly does; Osterholm certainly does.

You wrote alot of stuff but failed to understand what I posted.

Covid-19 created excess deaths in 2020. I'm not debating that. What I have a problem with is when people like you cite the 282,000 fraudulent number and claim that we have 80,000 more deaths than Covid-19 can explain.

The problem I see in your post #567 is that you are overthinking it. We actually agree but you don't see it.

I'll try to explain it to you:

Real expected deaths 2020: 2,950,000
CDC's fraud expected deaths: 2,844,968

If at the end of the year, we have 3,200,000 deaths and 250,000 are from Covid-19. The real expected deaths would say that Covid-19 accounted for all the excess deaths.

With the CDC's fraudulent number, people are going to say that there are 105,000 more excess deaths than the Covid-19 accounts for. These excess deaths must be Covid-19 related and we are undercounting Covid-19 deaths. This is what lc5397 did in the opening post.

The CDC should have projected 2020 deaths based on the trendline going up significantly for 10 years. Instead, they were lazy or incompetent by just averaging the past three years.
You have mis-stated what I have claimed. I am not going to argue for LC5397’s original post (I’ll let him do that); I have said NOT that there are “80,000 more deaths“ than expected-- I AM saying that, right now, even if I grant you your claim that the CDC “fraudulently” (your words, not mine) understated the expected deaths by 1000-2000/week, that would ONLY add 40,000-80,000 additional expected) deaths to the CDC’s total for the YTD (40 weeks into the year)— and YET, we have the CDC enumerating 282,000 excess deaths above their “fraudulent“ estimate. If we add your top number (80,000) to the CDC’s expected death total YTD— we STILL have an EXCESS 200,000 deaths for the YTD.

I don’t yet believe your claim about the CDC’s expected death total being “fraudulently” understated— I’d still like to see you cite where you got that information (and chart) from— but even when I grant you your claim, it STILL amounts to “re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic”— the bigger concern is the 200,000 excess deaths for which both YOU and I have no other explanation (at this point) than the likely cause of Covid-19. I’m happy to go along with an “Excess Death” total, at this juncture of only 200,000, instead of 282,000– but then what? Doesn’t that STILL HUGE number warrant a major public health response?!

And as 2020 winds up some of those excess deaths are due to the shutdown which peaked from mid March to the end of May and are still in place in large areas of the country.

And what will be interesting is to follow excess deaths over the next couple of years after covid has left the scene and/or an effective vaccine is available. Given the interruption in medical services and the known impact of prolonged stress we should see collateral damage from the lock downs play out as excess deaths over the next few years.

We will see if the excess ”deaths due to the shutdown” are anywhere close to what you have claimed (with no data to support your contention). This TOO will be studied with great intensity— there will be ample scrutiny of the number of suicide deaths, for example, to see how much (if at all) those rose during the lockdown. Excess deaths are ALWAYS scrutinized, in an effort to reach an innovative conclusion— this is how academic reputations are made.

Speaking of the lockdown— WHERE are these “large areas of the country” that are still under lockdown— I really would like to know.

Look, I'm not reading all of that sophistic drivel. I got about 2 paragraphs down and got the gist. If I saw something new or original, I would have read further.

The emotion, the references to conspiracy, and the overall emotion, and then the classic, "I'm going to explain science to you" BS is not going to get you anywhere with me. I have 3 science degrees. I know science, I love science, I practice science, and I have done it for 30 years. If you have 2 doctorates and have practiced science for 40 years, you might be able to take that authoritative tone with me because I would assume you have something to teach me. Otherwise, find some other fool to work that act on.

Again, it's simple. When I hear and see this ^ degree of emotion wrapped in the cloak of science, my experience tells me that metaphysics is what I am dealing with, not science. Unfortunately, and for many reasons I wont get into, the division between true science and advocacy of a POV has been very blurred in recent decades. There is nothing wrong with science, but there is a problem with those who procure science to promote a political/philosophical POV.

Science is calm. It is evidence based and it progresses as curious minds seek to further it. What it does not need is passionate apologists. If it is good science that leads to solid applications, the process that led led there speaks for itself. It does not require crusadic passion.
Bottom line for your drivel: “You can’t be bothered to read too much”— but (much like our current president, who also doesn‘t read anything—including his daily intelligence briefs— how appropriate and ironic), you consider yourself an expert in all kinds of scientific fields beyond your ken— well, you just continue on being ignorant— you’re a lost cause who likes to bloviate about metaphysical concepts with no comprehension of what you are talking about.

Not if you are one of the 30K, or more importantly the family of one of the 30K - that's kind of Biden's message.

With 215K deaths, that's about .0016% of households. Not very many families are setting a plate on Thanksgiving for someone that isn't going to be there. That's close to the number of people that die from lung cancer every year - why hasn't Joe sought to outlaw cigarettes and cigars? It's not about masks and social distancing, it would be about completely stopping the planting and harvesting of tobacco and the production of smoking products..... that seems like an easy choice to make to save 200K people annually. With the flu, the deaths equal Covid's morbidity every 3-4 years, why weren't vaccines and masks and social distancing mandated for the flu?

Japanese men have 1/3rd the rate of heart disease as American men, why not legislate that American men have to eat the same diet and exercise the same as Japanese men? After all, the death rate from heart disease is almost 3X what Covid has. If it's about saving lives, and those lives are important I want to kow why Biden the CDC and other "concerned" people don't go after all disease like Covid?
There’s a whole raft of silly comments in here— but a couple stand out:
1) Biden hasn’t (and doesn’t plan to) outlaw anything— so how does that parallel your “outlaw cigarettes and cigars” silly comment.
2) In fact, Democrats, if given free reign, would probably actually very much LIKE to ban cigarettes and cigars— but, we learned (with Prohibition) that banning something people like and are addicted to doesn’t work—and fosters crime syndicates that also commit other crimes— something we should have learned (and reacted to) with all other controlled substance drugs.
3) Your math is wrong— with Covid-19 deaths at 282,000 (or even your 215,000 quote), that is right around 0.07% of the US’s 330 million population—already ~45 times higher than you cite— and then, households are not composed of one person— if we put the average household size at 2.5 people, then you are talking about the incidence of a household having a Covid-19 death being over 100 times more likely than you have claimed.
4) Covid-19 is about 6-7X more lethal than the average seasonal flu; so it would take ~7 years for the flu to kill as many people as Covid-19 will kill this year— not 3-4 years... and many employers (my wife’s being one of them) DO require them to get an annual flu vaccone as a condition of continuing employment— there is NO choice in the matter, if she wants to keep working there.
5). We ARE going after heart disease even harder than we go after Covid-19– we spend thousands of times more each year (in health care research) on heart disease than we do on COVID, and yet, heart disease does not upend our entire economy the way this epidemic has.

Not far off. The most compelling reason for their about face on masking was to use it as a form of control in which people are constantly reminded of the danger covid poses. Certainly there are no solid studies showing that general mask wearing impacts infectious disease spread.

In fact there is a Danish study that is rumored to show that masking has no impact on covid spread. Evidently it's a large, well controlled study and they can't get a major journal to publish the results because it goes against the idea that mask wearing works. This is anti-science by the journals.

WRONG AGAIN— the very airliner study (the one that you keep lying about the results from) cites TWO studies that support the need to wear masks— but I’m sure that you will deem them not “solid studies”.