Kneeling For The National Anthem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ninety nine percent of the time it is justified. There always will be some unfortunate outcomes.

It does not matter. One bad cop, all bad cops.... I'm sick of it. I am 100% pro-Police, pro Military and will never support an Anti-Police organization which is led my Marxists who call for the deaths of Police. Unfortunately many are blinded by the real objective of this organization. Of course the lives of all Blacks matter but it is not about that. It is about Divide and Conquer. Destroy capitalism and install Marxist Communism. Sorry for those who do not agree with me but that is how I feel. Maybe I am demented but I truly believe this and I can not support anyone who kneels during the Anthem no matter the reason unless they are/were in the military which would be their right. One can protest in many other ways. I am all for reform but not in favor of defunding but instead increase funding, cultural reform, boots on the ground, and community/police awareness.

I agree with some of your points but just playing the national anthem while everyone goes about their business is a sign that it shouldn't even be played. And for that matter then, the flag needn't even fly over the field. And I'm not sure how much I like that kind of community.
I'm personally fine without it being played. When I'm at PNC Park or PPG Paints Arena, I stand and show respect when its played but meanwhile jerkoff yinzers will go to the beer vendors and toward the piss troughs. Certainly some of these people are Anthem Defenders on Facebook re: the NFL.

I'm all for patriotism and valuable, meaningful displays of appreciation that fully incorporate an understanding of why we have an anthem & what it represents. Unless schools, heck even the pros, start appending essays or visible partnerships of active duty/veterans of foreign wars groups alongside the national anthem, I'm not seeing the point of having it at football games myself. Contra that, I actually really enjoy the anthem at basketball games for other reasons. But football? It's yet to be demonstrated to me that most of my fellow attendees will show the same level of respect that's expected out of me when I'm at a game once its played. Doesn't matter if I'm at Gahanna, the Central Catholic League, Lancaster or whatnot. Or, at the very least, the schools should stop playing it when half of the attendance is at the gate.

So, basically...... veterans fought for the right for those to kneel during the anthem.
Most of these veterans are offended by this protest.
OK, find another way to protest....

It is pretty simple to me and a win/win situation. Stand for the Anthem, after the anthem take a knee with a moment of silence and then get to kick off. Nobody is offended and everyone knows why. Win/Win..... but they won't do that. Why? Divide and Conquer.

I don’t want to get into a big argument with you about it at all but I am curious as to why some military or ex military are ok with it and some are not. Is it truly just an opinion ? I ask because I would think the majority would be either for or against.
I didn’t serve but I do appreciate that you did. Thank you !!
I think it is about nuance. Some military see the flag and the national anthem as symbolic of the structure that allows people to protest and don't appreciate that structure being burned, torn down or made to become an object of disrespect. And since all of us who have served have as a condition of that service implied that we are willing to fight to protect that structure, defending that structure can be taken personally and thus that type of protest can be seen or felt as an attack. Since I had a friend I went to school with at Ohio State die in Iraq, I tend to fall in that group. Others see those acts just as protests and are fine with any kind of protest since that was what we went into the service to do, that is protect one's liberty to protest. And just to be clear, Kapernick wasn't kneeling to protest social injustice, he was kneeling because he said he could not respect the United States for whatever . So he was sticking his middle finger up to all of us. I for one don't appreciate it that at all. He can do it, but I don't appreciate it.

I'm surprised there are coaches that don't want their teams on the field for the national anthem.
The majority of college teams are never on the field for the anthem and in Hs it varies. Massillon is always on the field for the anthem and it’s rare for an away team at PBTS to not be out there. Barberton was not on the field last year for the game at Barberton.

The majority of college teams are never on the field for the anthem and in Hs it varies. Massillon is always on the field for the anthem and it’s rare for an away team at PBTS to not be out there. Barberton was not on the field last year for the game at Barberton.
Opponents are prolly scared in Mass to play y'all so they stay in locker room as long as possible

What's the percentage of college teams that are on the field for the national anthem?

What's the percentage of college teams that are on the field for the national anthem?
Eight of the 14 schools in the Big Ten are on the field for the NA. In the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC), just two teams take the field. And no teams in the Big 12, PAC-12, or Southeastern Conference (SEC) are on the field.

Are you able to check anything on your own ? ??‍?

Eight of the 14 schools in the Big Ten are on the field for the NA. In the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC), just two teams take the field. And no teams in the Big 12, PAC-12, or Southeastern Conference (SEC) are on the field.

Are you able to check anything on your own ? ??‍?
There are a lot more colleges than those.

You said the majority but had no basis for saying it. Typical.
Do some research and tell me I had no basis to say it. It took me 30 seconds to read 4 articles saying the majority of college teams are in the locker rooms during the anthem.
This from a guy who is too much of a coward to even answer a simple question. Talk about typical.

I played from 06-09 and have missed very few games since. In my playing days I only remember being on the field for the NA once.

I also remember the entire run to State in 11 where the teams were required to be on the field for the NA. Think it may have been an OHSAA directive. Anyone else remember this?

WBL requires teams to be on the field. Defiance used to have the band form a tunnel at the end sone, post anthem that the team ran through, but they stopped that aound 2005 when the team was forced to be on the field.

Personally, I don't care. Stand, sit, kneel. Its your right. That's the freedom that was fought for.

We live in the greatest country in the world, because we have the right as citizens of the United States to voice our displeasure with our government without fear of persecution from that government. We fought a long war against Nazi Germany not all that long ago, in part to protect this American ideal. We can tell the government that we don’t like them, and we are still able to live here.

This means that people can certainly kneel for the national anthem if they would like. I won’t ever do that, but American citizens should have the right to do so, and I respect that right.

America is so much more than the flag. You can kneel for the anthem, and you aren’t going to tear apart what it means to be an American. I think throughout our short history as a country, being defiant against oppression is one of our founding principles. I was born 200 years after we told King George to shove it, but I think we can still see that original American thought today. If the you don’t feel the government is working for your rights, you should stand (or kneel) for what you believe in.

There are many places and symbols that show what it means to be an American way more than the flag. When I’m standing at the WWII Memorial or the Vietnam Wall, I often think that all of those soldiers gave their life for me. I wonder if I’m doing enough to honor their sacrifice. We can’t repay them for what they have done for us, but we must look to continue to improve as a people and as a country. Sometimes that’s uncomfortable and ugly, but this great American experiment often is. These kind of debates are what make this the greatest place in the world to live.

Status
Not open for further replies.