Future of the SWBL

Jesse Hubbard from New Miami. i’m pretty sure he was hired in January
yeah, I heard the BOE never approved him. Then the Superintendent who wanted to hire him was put on leave. Made it sound like his hiring was in limbo. Anybody know more than I do? Or know I'm wrong?

It’s obvious that you’re a child hiding behind a computer screen. IRLMN is a longtime poster on here and yet all I’ve seen from you is trash. Yes, keep it up and I’ll not only delete your posts but I’ll boot you to the curb. Try me. SWBL posters are passionate but classy. Try being more adult.
On to other things.
Milton-Union has finalized their 2020 schedule. Their last in the SWBL.
Arcanum (H) jamboree game
Miami East (H)
Covington (H)
Oakwood (H)
Northridge (A)
Madison (H)
Waynesville (H)
Shawnee (A)
Valley View (A)
Dixie (H)
Carlisle (A)

2021 TRC schedule:
National Trail (H)
Open
Open
Lehman Catholic (A)
Troy Christian (A)
Miami East (H)
Covington (H)
Bethel (A)
Northridge (H)
Riverside (A)
Is that northridge homecoming going to stay? Looks like with the easier away games MU might get inaugural conf. Championship

Is that northridge homecoming going to stay? Looks like with the easier away games MU might get inaugural conf. Championship
I don't think it says that Northridge is the homecoming game, I think it's just saying it's a "Home" game. Regardless, I think MU will be in the running for a conference championship in the first year. Along with Covington/Miami East. I think one of those schools will win the conference most years.

With Northridge being the last home game, it will be senior night. that means either East or Covington will be homecoming (ouch). MU having them back-to-back certainly isn't optimal.

I agree that with the current programs, Miami East, Milton, and Covington will go into most seasons as favorites. But I certainly believe any other school can win this league on a good year.

yeah, I heard the BOE never approved him. Then the Superintendent who wanted to hire him was put on leave. Made it sound like his hiring was in limbo. Anybody know more than I do? Or know I'm wrong?

I haven't heard that, but it wouldn't surprise me. There is a lot of turmoil in the district right now with the superintendent, the BOE, and the community. I had heard there was some connection between the super and Hubbard and that some people weren't too happy with the financial package he was offered. I know that New Miami is actively seeking a coach, so they believe Hubbard to be done at their school.

I could be off. That's why I was looking for a Madison poster to clarify.
Has anyone seen BOE minutes of him being approved?

Last edited:
Wow, If this league adds Massie it will be on the same level as the MAC, but only a little larger. Pretty good move for the" slow white boy league".

Has anyone heard any news about new teams joining the SWBL? I know we've discussed this in the past and I like the thought of CM, but I don't know if it's a realistic option.

Has anyone heard any news about new teams joining the SWBL? I know we've discussed this in the past and I like the thought of CM, but I don't know if it's a realistic option.
i don’t see why the CM/Wilmington duo wouldn’t be realistic

i don’t see why the CM/Wilmington duo wouldn’t be realistic
I'm saying realistic in regards to if it is being discussed by the SWBL league officials.. like it is legit potentially going to happen. I had heard that was already in the process with some other schools.

I think realistically in our opinions, it could be a good fit..

Wow, If this league adds Massie it will be on the same level as the MAC, but only a little larger. Pretty good move for the" slow white boy league".

What adds to where to get who to the level of the MAC? Bowling Green to the TRAC?

SWBL will never be on the same level as the MAC. The top 5 teams in the MAC would be undefeated 99% of the time if they played in the SWBL every year. I'm not knocking the SWBL but the MAC is that good.

SWBL will never be on the same level as the MAC. The top 5 teams in the MAC would be undefeated 99% of the time if they played in the SWBL every year. I'm not knocking the SWBL but the MAC is that good.
Yeah, I laughed when I read that it will be on the same level as the MAC. This is no disrespect to the SWBL, as I think it would be a great conference if they added Massie. A very strong football conference. But the MAC has 26 state championships in the last 20 years. The SWBL doesn't have any...

while the SWBL would be great with Massie, no league in history will ever compare to the MAC.

but with that being said i really hope the SWBL adds Massie and Wilmington. it makes too much sense to me. from a competitive, distance, and relationship standpoint. i mean who wouldn’t be for Valley View vs Clinton Massie yearly??

There's no way the SWBL will ever be on the same level as the MAC state championship caliber wise. I'm saying the level of play will improve. Massie has been kicked out of three conferences over the past 20 years because programs couldn't compete. Wilmington and Massie will raise the profile of this league and put the SWBL on another level.IMO

The problem with the SWBL in my opinion is they are to spread out as it is. Adding Wilmington and CM makes it an even bigger problem. I think the conference is dying. Franklin Bellbrook Monroe Oakwood and Waynesville are getting bigger and need to be in with the likes of the MVL. Brookville Eaton VV Dixie PS West Milton and Northridge made a good core of a conference. Maybe add in Covington Miami East and Bethel. That would be a very solid conference like they used to be. Almost all the other teams would fit in perfect with the MVL with the exception of Carlisle and Madison those 2 I feel would best fit in the MVC. I don't see the new Three rivers lasting very long as it is very top heavy and spread all over a combination for upset schools all over looking for new homes. I thought in 2001 the SWBL made a bad choice in expanding the way they did. In all I see a lot of changes coming even if a team moves once I could see them move again.

"and spread all over". Can you explain this Joe? I feel I don't understand. The core of the TRC is the 5 teams in Miami County. One in Montgomery ('Ridge) and two in Shelby (Lehman and Riverside). Certainly doesn't feel spread out geographically. Is Riverside to Northridge a drive? yes but still closer than Riverside to Elgin was. Every League has a few long drives (Milton to Waynesville, Xenia to Greenville,) To me this league is more compact than most.
Also not sure which schools are supposed to be unhappy with "top heavy"? I can assume you mean the not-top schools, but those to me all seem better off than where they were (NWCC?, MBC?) with few options to migrate to even if they were unhappy, and some are pretty darn good in sports other than football (TC wrestling)
The TRC will flourish. I agree with you that the SWBL is in trouble. they had chances to expand and address the size discrepancy issue. The bigger schools resisted, and watched 4 smaller schools leave. The middle schools will pay the price. Brookville should've jumped to the TRC also.

"and spread all over". Can you explain this Joe? I feel I don't understand. The core of the TRC is the 5 teams in Miami County. One in Montgomery ('Ridge) and two in Shelby (Lehman and Riverside). Certainly doesn't feel spread out geographically. Is Riverside to Northridge a drive? yes but still closer than Riverside to Elgin was. Every League has a few long drives (Milton to Waynesville, Xenia to Greenville,) To me this league is more compact than most.
Also not sure which schools are supposed to be unhappy with "top heavy"? I can assume you mean the not-top schools, but those to me all seem better off than where they were (NWCC?, MBC?) with few options to migrate to even if they were unhappy, and some are pretty darn good in sports other than football (TC wrestling)
The TRC will flourish. I agree with you that the SWBL is in trouble. they had chances to expand and address the size discrepancy issue. The bigger schools resisted, and watched 4 smaller schools leave. The middle schools will pay the price. Brookville should've jumped to the TRC also.
i hate to be that guy but Riverside is in Logan county..

but back to the point. i think what he’s saying is that Riverside and Sidney Lehman will get tired of getting beat up in this league real quick. and i agree. those two will eventually jump ship. bit the other 6 teams should be very stable.

in terms of additions to the conference, it’s inevitable. and i think Brookville should be #1. after that then candidates like Arcanum, Springfield Greenon, and Springfield Northwestern. each of these 4 i could see being real solid fits, Brookville especially.

i hate to be that guy but Riverside is in Logan county..

but back to the point. i think what he’s saying is that Riverside and Sidney Lehman will get tired of getting beat up in this league real quick. and i agree. those two will eventually jump ship. bit the other 6 teams should be very stable.

in terms of additions to the conference, it’s inevitable. and i think Brookville should be #1. after that then candidates like Arcanum, Springfield Greenon, and Springfield Northwestern. each of these 4 i could see being real solid fits, Brookville especially.
2 things I see happening.
1. Sidney Lehman closing its doors
2. Riverside jumping to the OHC if they receive an offer.

Brookville will be in this league if 1 of the 2 happens.

As for your other 3 candidates:

Arcanum- They were one of the instigators of forming the WOAC so I 100% doubt that they'll leave it for harder competition unless Franklin-Monroe consolidates with Arcanum.

Greenon- Does make sense but to me the OHC makes more sense.

Springfield Northwestern- Possible. Wouldn't rule it out

2 things I see happening.
1. Sidney Lehman closing its doors
2. Riverside jumping to the OHC if they receive an offer.

Brookville will be in this league if 1 of the 2 happens.

As for your other 3 candidates:

Arcanum- They were one of the instigators of forming the WOAC so I 100% doubt that they'll leave it for harder competition unless Franklin-Monroe consolidates with Arcanum.

Greenon- Does make sense but to me the OHC makes more sense.

Springfield Northwestern- Possible. Wouldn't rule it out
Is Lehman doing that badly?

Is Lehman doing that badly?
I've heard multiple people discussing how their numbers have been dropping. I don't know how the school is doing in general, but the football team could be hurting.

To what Joe said above... let's not even discuss Covington, Miami East and Bethel joining the SWBL. That's not even worth discussing. TRC is going to be a very good conference and I agree with other posters in here, we are more likely to see a school like Brookville jump over to the TRC. It makes sense and it would be a good fit. I also don't think Arcanum is leaving the WOAC in the near future. Maybe down the road depending on how things go, but they were one of the leaders in forming the WOAC..

They have similar enrollment #'s to Springfield Catholic. Having both Boys Soccer and Football is doing nothing but hurting both programs. 58 boys in grades 9-11 while SCC has 47.
Didn't realize their enrollment was that low. Having boys soccer and football might be hurting numbers but in most cases players from one sport to the other aren't interested in playing the opposite.

With private schools, if they have enough students interested they will usually field teams.

Didn't realize their enrollment was that low. Having boys soccer and football might be hurting numbers but in most cases players from one sport to the other aren't interested in playing the opposite.

With private schools, if they have enough students interested they will usually field teams.
And their enrollment is dropping too. And here's the thing with that. If they cut soccer, those kids will go to Fairlawn, Botkins, or Houston. If they cut football, those kids (If they haven't been already) will go to Fort Loramie or Anna. The thing is with how good the public schools are in Shelby County, is Lehman really necessary anymore? I'm thinking no.