No High School Football 2020

In one week the US added 105,000 new cases and more then 2,000 deaths. The peak isn’t supposed to happen for another 3-5 weeks.

It is clear that based on the opinions of a few on here is exactly why we are in the situation we are now. I wonder what the opinions will be on April 12.
Since Thursday Ohio has almost doubled the # of cases.
Thursday there were 867 and today there are 1,653 cases.
Increased testing has found more infected people, yes.

Reactions: y2h
Not saying I want this to happen, but what would you guys think of them moving the season into the summer, like they’re saying they might do in college football?

Ca
There were 37 games on the boys side that still had to be played in order to crown four state champions. It wasn’t happening.

The games could have happened. HS players do not need a week between games. 3 games in a week is more than doable. Finish up the next week. They do not even need to go to Columbus. The players and the fans would have been happy to sacrifice the format.

The games could have happened. HS players do not need a week between games. 3 games in a week is more than doable. Finish up the next week. They do not even need to go to Columbus. The players and the fans would have been happy to sacrifice the format.
This thought takes the approach of what “the players and the fans” want. That ultimately doesn’t matter. There wasn’t a way the OHSAA was going to be able steamroll through all these games when the Governor himself was literally saying “we don’t want mass gatherings.” And the other two factors beneath the surface, although never explicitly stated, was that some of the facilities still in use when the tourney was postponed were not going to play ball with continued hosting in light of DeWine’s comments and the wishes of their facilities’ owners (e.g. Ohio U/Convocation Center) and there were also some concern if the schools themselves should even continue playing if the OHSAA gave them the choice.

Not saying I want this to happen, but what would you guys think of them moving the season into the summer, like they’re saying they might do in college football?
I don’t think they’re going to pull college football in the summer off. Myriad of transportation and related finance issues by moving it up to the summer, the networks would have concerns, almost assuredly a drop-off in ticket revenue. Rick Neuhiesel made the point that there’s actually a huge concern among many college coaches right now that they may lose players left and right on grade eligibility issues for the summer because of the sudden change and broken transition in the spring semester and how kids are taking their classes, doing their tests etc

With high school? No. Don’t see it. I admit the idea is a breath of fresh air and would be neat to see, but no. The coaches association wouldn’t be unanimous on it, the schools, the OHSAA and the refs would balk at the games being played in the summer heat.

Start the HS sports seasons July 1 instead of August 1? I think it is a bad idea that has zero chance of that happening.

Does anybody think there will actually be H.S. football in Ohio this fall?
If you do your only fooling yourself.

Next week, Gov Mike DeWine will close schools for the remainder of the school year. No spring musicals, no prom and no graduation.
OHSAA will follow by cancelling all spring sports.
Late May, Gov Mike DeWine will close schools over summer break, announcing that schools may reopen sometime time in late August.
Schools will be reopened with the restriction of no extracurricular activities..
Early August, OHSAA cancels all fall sports.
Early October, Gov. DeWine announces that all school activities may resume November 1st.

No sarcasm here. This is what we are going to face over the next 6-8 months.
If you want riots and all hell breaking loose try to enforce a lockdown for the next 6-8 months

The other thing to think of - sanitation. If we play football the sanitation stipulations are probably going to be hefty. Can all schools afford or have the man power to abide by something like this? There’s a lot to think about here. I tend to worry about not having the correct preparation time.

It is clear that based on the opinions of a few on here is exactly why we are in the situation we are now. I wonder what the opinions will be on April 12.
Since Thursday Ohio has almost doubled the # of cases.
Thursday there were 867 and today there are 1,653 cases.
Who cares when 95% of cases are mild? The number jump is due to testing, not an explosion of new infections.

The other thing to think of - sanitation. If we play football the sanitation stipulations are probably going to be hefty. Can all schools afford or have the man power to abide by something like this? There’s a lot to think about here. I tend to worry about not having the correct preparation time.
If it's safe enough for kidding to be riding buses together, sitting in classrooms together,and eating lunch together, it will be safe enough for sports.

If it's safe enough for kidding to be riding buses together, sitting in classrooms together,and eating lunch together, it will be safe enough for sports.
No No No.
You are to not question such things.

No Football For You.

The heat and humidity guidelines make it impractical and almost impossible to have football in the summertime.

Why do you say sort of. Our district we are doing it online, and every distict in PA that I know of is doing it online. And as time goes on, we will get better at it and get any kinks out and perfect it

Concur. As soon as the weather breaks it will be damned near impossible to enforce a lockdown. Heck, just WEd/Thur when it got nice out in Ohio folks were already getting antsy.
If you want riots and all hell breaking loose try to enforce a lockdown for the next 6-8 months
r

Authoritarianism is never a great job.

Have we reached 100k cases in Ohio yet? Asking for dr. Acton.
By my calculations if we had 100K a few weeks ago, we have to be around 100 million ohioans and nearly a million deaths thus far.

They wont publish those numbers until the weather gets nice and people start venturing out much more. They want to keep that stat quiet until then.