Western Reserve Job

Not unless their CB number drops significantly.
The word in the building there was they were dropping to D7 which is why they expected a big turn out for Apps. That’s where they were when they made their last big run. Now I don’t think they got the turnout they expected, but still ended up with a great hire. Again all I have is here say, but will follow up when I know more

This is a great hire for Western Reserve. I think it is smart to give another young guy a shot, it has been a successful recipe for them in the past. If Rach can bring some of that South Range tradition and culture, I don’t see how this is a bad hire. His biggest challenge will be keeping the kids out and convincing the ones who maybe quit with the Hake news to come back out. Have to think he has the best chance of doing that compared to the other two they were considering.
Only thing for me is if he’s a defensive guy, south range didn’t have a good defense at all

I would seriously doubt they would drop next year. The CB cutoff was 116 and they were at 129. Next years number is based on last seasons Roster and their roster was huge last year. I know the CB is based on enrollment and roster but that roster number will be big next year also.

I don’t see WR dropping. This is not a new enrollment year, so their base enrollment will be the same, only difference will be competitive balance numbers.

Against the better teams on their schedule the defense struggled. But Struthers hired a bad DC as HC too lol
I didn't think someone could have two horrific takes in one post, but I was wrong. Someone already corrected the Rach being bad against good teams which I noticed the people ripping the move ignored, so I won't waste my breath there. As for Struthers, they could hire Bill Belichick tomorrow and someone from there would be like, "but can he win without Tom Brady?" Places like that spend all their time complaining instead of buying in. I think they made a great hire.

I didn't think someone could have two horrific takes in one post, but I was wrong. Someone already corrected the Rach being bad against good teams which I noticed the people ripping the move ignored, so I won't waste my breath there. As for Struthers, they could hire Bill Belichick tomorrow and someone from there would be like, "but can he win without Tom Brady?" Places like that spend all their time complaining instead of buying in. I think they made a great hire.
I think he can be a great HC but as a DC he struggled the last two seasons. That’s not being anything but factual.

you are a clown. If you give up a lot of points as a defensive coordinator, you are not very good at your job. Like when you forget to put the barbecue sauce in my bag at your job, you’re not good at your job. Does that make sense to you?
Again this point was already proven wrong which you completely ignored. Offenses are harder to stop as the game evolves and rules become more offense friendly. I would like to know how many “”elite”” programs are not giving up a lot of points these days. The best I can think of was probably Canfield a few years ago when they gave up like 8-9 points a game. They gave up almost 18 a game last year...is this bc the DC wasn’t good anymore? These takes of yours are really really bad. It is easy to be a fake tough guy though behind the keyboard from whatever basement your hiding. I personally hope Struthers does well just to see you still complain about how bad the coaching is. It’s clockwork with you people.

Pretty good actually...For a smaller rural school playing a tough schedule.
23 to Springfield in OT. They went to State Title game and average about 45 a game.
27 to Poland
38 to perennial State Champ Kirtland.
Struthers to low enough total to win.

If WR doesn’t feel comfortable with it, SR will gladly take him back.
With the 5 games of 7 points or less which apparently doesn’t count. As I said you can find this guy ripping coaches on every football thread there is with his opinions he states to be fact. He is the definition of an internet troll. Probably got picked last in kickball or something and is out for revenge. Go Blue Devils and good luck to Coach Rach

The best I can think of was probably Canfield a few years ago when they gave up like 8-9 points a game. They gave up almost 18 a game last year...is this bc the DC wasn’t good anymore?
2017 Canfield allowed 72 points over 13 games or 5.53 points per game, if you discount the first game against Louisville (28 points) the average is 3.66 points per game over their last 12 games including against SVSM in week 13
2018 Canfield allowed 98 points over their first 12 games or 8.16 points per game, the Kenston game (week 13) changes the average to 10 points per game
2019 Canfield allowed 18.2 which is line with what you said

So 2017 and 2018 the defenses were pretty exceptional considering, 2019 is more the norm with the current style of play and tendencies.
For comparison the 2005 State Runner-up team allowed around 5 points per game, discounting the championship game against TCC where most key players were injured.

2017 Canfield allowed 72 points over 13 games or 5.53 points per game, if you discount the first game against Louisville (28 points) the average is 3.66 points per game over their last 12 games including against SVSM in week 13
2018 Canfield allowed 98 points over their first 12 games or 8.16 points per game, the Kenston game (week 13) changes the average to 10 points per game
2019 Canfield allowed 18.2 which is line with what you said

So 2017 and 2018 the defenses were pretty exceptional considering, 2019 is more the norm with the current style of play and tendencies.
For comparison the 2005 State Runner-up team allowed around 5 points per game, discounting the championship game against TCC where most key players were injured.
I agree, this was not a shot at Canfield. Thank you for the numbers as I knew they were pretty good, even better than I realized. This was simply a point to Mr. Spread saying certain games didn’t matter. He would probably look at those years and say you couldn’t count whatever bad teams Canfield shut out. Again because he turns opinions into statements of facts and is usually wrong.

Penguin, you don’t know anything about Spread. I met the guy personally. He’s a decent dude who’s passionate to a fault for Struthers football. (Like myself) He currently does not live in Struthers, just like I don’t either. And I can guarantee he doesn’t live in someone’s basement.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions on this forum. People are gonna disagree. We’re all human and none of us are perfect.

I agree, this was not a shot at Canfield. Thank you for the numbers as I knew they were pretty good, even better than I realized. This was simply a point to Mr. Spread saying certain games didn’t matter. He would probably look at those years and say you couldn’t count whatever bad teams Canfield shut out. Again because he turns opinions into statements of facts and is usually wrong.
I look at how you did against the better teams on your schedule, that gauges what kind of team/defense you normally have. If you’re blowing out teams that are horrible you’re not going to get as much credit from me as if you shut down a very good or average team. Look at college football, nobody cares when Ohio state beats Miami Ohio, they care about what they did against penn state and the better teams on their schedule. Shutting out horrible teams will give you zero credit from me, congrats on the win but it’s nothing to hold your hat on.

I look at how you did against the better teams on your schedule, that gauges what kind of team/defense you normally have. If you’re blowing out teams that are horrible you’re not going to get as much credit from me as if you shut down a very good or average team. Look at college football, nobody cares when Ohio state beats Miami Ohio, they care about what they did against penn state and the better teams on their schedule. Shutting out horrible teams will give you zero credit from me, congrats on the win but it’s nothing to hold your hat on.
It’s Division 5 High School football. You don’t have OSU athletes. The fact remains they were thrown into a conference they shouldn’t have been able to compete in and did in large part because of their defense. Plus he’s been the DC there since like 2014 so to judge based on a few games last year is just irresponsible

I mean he held their first playoff opponent to 7 points, but that doesn’t count to some people on this thread which doesn’t make sense

In 2017 they were 13-1 with an incredible defense. He probably deserved a head job after that, but now he’s undeserving bc he gave up some points to State Runner Up Springfield and Near State Qualifier Poland. I could not be more excited for the future of WR with this guy at the helm. I respect opinions, but speaking opinions as fact and focusing on a few games of the 5 year stint is just wrong.

Again this point was already proven wrong which you completely ignored. Offenses are harder to stop as the game evolves and rules become more offense friendly. I would like to know how many “”elite”” programs are not giving up a lot of points these days. The best I can think of was probably Canfield a few years ago when they gave up like 8-9 points a game. They gave up almost 18 a game last year...is this bc the DC wasn’t good anymore? These takes of yours are really really bad. It is easy to be a fake tough guy though behind the keyboard from whatever basement your hiding. I personally hope Struthers does well just to see you still complain about how bad the coaching is. It’s clockwork with you people.
The defense of the 2016 Warren JFK Football State Championship team was elite:
14+ points allowed once that season
6 shutouts
92 points allowed in 14 games(6.6pts/game)
23 points allowed in 4 playoff games(5.75pts/game)
In weeks 13 & 14 had 4 Defensive TDs
Held Minster to 6 points in the State Game

Last edited:
The defense of the 2016 Warren JFK Football State Championship team was elite:
14+ points allowed once that season
6 shutouts
92 points allowed in 14 games(6.6pts/game)
23 points allowed in 4 playoff games(5.75pts/game)
In weeks 13 & 14 had 4 Defensive TDs
Held Minster to 6 points in the State Game

So anything shy of this means they're not good at their job?

So anything shy of this means they're not good at their job?
That is what elite looks like. Nobody was speaking on anyone's job, good or bad. If you need self vindication or reassurance you should look somewhere else.
Different programs have different standards and some communities are happy being 9-1, 8-2, 7-3 making the playoffs and content playing in Week 11. Only to bow out gracefully and get exposed from teams outside of the Mahoning Valley.
Teams to Remember Play in December

That is what elite looks like. Nobody was speaking on anyone's job, good or bad. If you need self vindication or reassurance you should look somewhere else.

This is a direct quote of someone saying precisely that!

"If you give up a lot of points as a defensive coordinator, you are not very good at your job. Like when you forget to put the barbecue sauce in my bag at your job, you’re not good at your job. Does that make sense to you? "

What is a lot? 21? 28? 35?

Last edited:
This is a direct quote of someone saying precisely that!

"If you give up a lot of points as a defensive coordinator, you are not very good at your job. Like when you forget to put the barbecue sauce in my bag at your job, you’re not good at your job. Does that make sense to you? "

What is a lot? 21? 28? 35?
Right? I don’t think anyone was wondering what the definition of elite was, more what is considered bad? I believe the South Range program is exactly the type of program you would want to pull from if your WR, but apparently some disagree. This all started bc Struthers fans got on a thread like they normally do and called this a bad hire. Again, shouldn’t take it personal, they think their own hire is a bad one. Somewhere deep down inside SPREAD thinks he should be the Head Coach and they would be winning State Titles doing things his way. You just can’t please some people and that’s the world you live in today.