Top five players from your school

I am amending my list. After the show Jayvon Graves put on in Columbus, he clearly has broken the tie with Henry Baddley in my own green & gold mind. Sorry Henry!

STVM

LeBron James
Jerome Lane
Curtis Wilson
Romeo Travis
Jayvon Graves

Piqua:

Mike Leffel (Dayton) MLB minor leagues
Mike Ostendorf (Michigan State) baseball
Bernard Newman (Miami, OH.)
Andy Warner (Wright State) D-2 National Champ
Scott Lind

Last edited:
St. Edward HS

Steve Logan, PG, Cincinnati
Devlon Roe, PF, Mich St
Sam Clancy, PF, USC
Kipper Nichols, SF, Illinois
Myles Hamilton, G, Kennsaw St/CSU

I left two guys off, who were perhaps the most highly recruited, because they really didn't seem to impact wins as positively as those above.

Lee Walczuk - came to St. Eds as a Junior and the team got worse. Went to UCLA in Wooden years
Jawad Williams - McDonald's All-American, UNC, cup of coffee in NBA.

No Tom Pritchard? Started at Indiana as a Freshmen and was significantly more productive in High School and College than Roe.

I would take Steve Lepore over Hamilton.

Also, Jawad Williams was the most talented player to ever walk the halls at St. Edward, no debate. Clancy was the most productive/dominate. and Kipper Nichols or Steve Logan were the best X factor/finisher. Those 4 HAVE to be in your top 5. Who you want to pick for the 5th spot between Walczuk, Lepore, Pritchard, Roe, Hamilton, or Dobbs is a matter of opinion.

I am amending my list. After the show Jayvon Graves put on in Columbus, he clearly has broken the tie with Henry Baddley in my own green & gold mind. Sorry Henry!

STVM

LeBron James
Jerome Lane
Curtis Wilson
Romeo Travis
Jayvon Graves

I'll 2nd that ! What a season this kid had. Also another great Akron Central player was Billy Sparks. More known for his football prowess, but a very good BB player too.

Covington

Ed Hartley
Tom Dunn (Wittenberg) D-3 All-American
Lane Evans (Wisconsin/Milwaukee)
Jim Meyer (Wittenberg)
Ed Barger (Bethany, WV.)

Last edited:
This is a great thread. Some of the now defunct schools should get someone to chime in like Youngstown Rayen, Akron South, Columbus Wehrle etc.

I'll 2nd that ! What a season this kid had. Also another great Akron Central player was Billy Sparks. More known for his football prowess, but a very good BB player too.

If I recall correctly, Sparks played on the Thurmond/Johnson teams in the late 50's. As an aside, one of the biggest upsets in high school basketball of the time involved the Central team of Johnson, Thurmond, Elijah Chatman, etc. when that talented squad was knocked off by Liberty High School from Trumbull County in the district tournament in 1958. There was a famous (at least locally!) cartoon in the ABJ the next day of a dejected basketball coach (Siegferth) walking down the corridor of a high school past a history class. The caption was "Give me Liberty or..."

Also, another great player for Central-Hower in the early 70's was a guy named Bradley Robinson. He went on to have an excellent career at Kent State. But he's not quite top 5 caliber! Which is no slight! That school had such a rich basketball tradition! Great teams throughout the years.

Last edited:
Canton McKinley

Gary Grant
Eric Snow
Nick Weatherspoon
Phil Hubbard
Keith McCleod

ALL of them played in the NBA

What's amazing about the history of McKinley basketball is that you could probably name 4 or 5 teams worth of McKinley stars before you got to names that weren't fairly well known across the State!

Kettering Fairmont West

Dave Bromley (Otterbein)
Keith Moon (Evansville) died in team plane crash
Mike Lee (Dayton)
Joe Hamilton (Wittenberg)
Todd Manifold

Last edited:
Kettering Fairmont East

Dennis Carroll (Ball State)
Dave Razzano (Gannon)
Mark McCormick (Wright State) D-2 National Champ
Mark Kaltoff (Hillsdale)
Joe Powers

Last edited:
Stow High School

David Jamerson (1st round draft pick in 1990 draft)
Kevin Kovach
David Walker
Geoff Byrne
Jake Steuer

Shane Conwell deserves mention for improving dramatically in college, scoring 26 ppg at Malone and playing overseas, scoring 40 ppg in France. Was invited to practice with the Cavs, too.

Last edited:
Fenwick

Tim Jordan (Indiana) football
Mike Holweger (Wittenberg)
Marty Bidwell (Mount Union)
Frank Catrine (Valparaiso) football
Jay Byrne (Fairfield)

Toledo Waite

Craig Thames 6' (Toledo)
Damion Washington 6'4 (Ohio U)
Luke Murphy 6'6 (Hofstra)
Josh Beyers 6'9 (Montana St.)
Jeremy McDonald 6' (East YMCA League Champion)

No Tom Pritchard? Started at Indiana as a Freshmen and was significantly more productive in High School and College than Roe.

I would take Steve Lepore over Hamilton.

Also, Jawad Williams was the most talented player to ever walk the halls at St. Edward, no debate. Clancy was the most productive/dominate. and Kipper Nichols or Steve Logan were the best X factor/finisher. Those 4 HAVE to be in your top 5. Who you want to pick for the 5th spot between Walczuk, Lepore, Pritchard, Roe, Hamilton, or Dobbs is a matter of opinion.

I would agree, basically, with the sehs95 list. On Jawad...talent? Sure. Productivity, leadership, toughness? Not anywhere near the guys at the front of the list. Ignatius was able to put a 5'10" guard (Gannon) on him. Both Hamilton brothers were great HS players. Pritchard...very good HS player...wouldn't make my top 5, though.

Toledo Waite

Craig Thames 6' (Toledo)
Damion Washington 6'4 (Ohio U)
Luke Murphy 6'6 (Hofstra)
Josh Beyers 6'9 (Montana St.)
Jeremy McDonald 6' (East YMCA League Champion)

Some serious height inflation going on there. They pay you money? When did "Beyers" play? I don't recognize the name.

Gary Jackson was one of the better players during one of the better periods of NWO ball. I'd maybe swap out one of your PGs. Tough call Thames or McDonald but one of them has to go. If we could add in the players swiped by other schools.....

Last edited:
If there was a all time great tournament where you would have 5 starters and two bench players - who wins ?

Some serious height inflation going on there. They pay you money? When did "Beyers" play? I don't recognize the name.

Gary Jackson was one of the better players during one of the better periods of NWO ball. I'd maybe swap out one of your PGs. Tough call Thames or McDonald but one of them has to go. If we could add in the players swiped by other schools.....

I might be wrong, but I believe Beyers played at Waite in the early 90s.

Springfield Catholic Central's top-5 would have to be about as stacked as any small school in the state, I'd imagine.

Jason Collier (Indiana, Georgia Tech, NBA)
Jim Paxson, Sr. (Dayton, NBA)
Jason Ronai (St. Peter's)
Jonathan Powell (Western Michigan)
Maurice Houston (Tennessee Tech)

Perhaps somebody that's a bit older could verify a few of those post high school destinations. I believe Powell only went there for his senior year, fwiw. Matt McCurdy was about as lethal of a scorer as I can remember playing at any small school around Springfield over the last fifteen or so years.

Last edited:
I think he's talking about the same guy, just mixed the name up a bit. Didn't Jason Beyer play at Montana State?

No idea. As I posted, didn't recognize the name. Just went and looked at some old clips when you posted early 90s and found "Jason Beyer."

Springfield Catholic Central's top-5 would have to be about as stacked as any small school in the state, I'd imagine.

Jason Collier (Indiana, Georgia Tech, NBA)
Jim Paxson, Sr. (Dayton, NBA)
Jason Ronai (St. Peter's)
Jonathan Powell (Western Michigan)
Maurice Houston (Tennessee Tech)

After giving it some thought, this has to be the best D3/D4 all-time group in the Dayton area. Adding a few bench guys, especially if you counted a couple that finished at Springfield South, it's not even close. Isaiah Carson and James Cooper played at Central for a couple years. Carson played at St. Bonaventure and Miami (OH), and Cooper was the D3 national player of the year at Wooster. Add McCurdy and that group of eight would slaughter whatever any other school of similar size around here could offer.