St. Ignatius Wildcats 2012

a Pitt recruit went to a DIII ? Holy he should dominate
but why not Mount Union of all DIII Ohio Schools? didnt want an automatic NC every year?

With so many comments about LeManna nearly breaking Nate Szep's single game passing record on Saturday, the thought of Lemanna challenging Szep's single season passing record crept into my mind. Szep threw for 3643 in 2001. LeManna is at 592 after two games. Not saying, I'm just saying.

Also, having just listened to the web stream of Mooney and watching the video stream of De La Salle, can anyone characterize the quality of the TE play? How much has Kavalec been occupying that spot?

I just re-watched the 2011 Mentor playoff game, and one question came to mind. Was Cleveland a junior last year and, if so, is he no longer on the team?

Maybe because John Carroll is a Jesuit school? Maybe because it's closer to home? Maybe because he thought it was a better fit for him academically? Maybe he has family who are alumni? Tom Arth chose Carroll over several MAC offers as well. Life's not all about football sometimes.

That being said, this is a JCU team that might surprise quite a few folks. Besides Myers, they've gotten an influx of former DI talent the last couple years.

a Pitt recruit went to a DIII ? Holy he should dominate
but why not Mount Union of all DIII Ohio Schools? didnt want an automatic NC every year?

Maybe because John Carroll is a Jesuit school? Maybe because it's closer to home? Maybe because he thought it was a better fit for him academically? Maybe he has family who are alumni? Tom Arth chose Carroll over several MAC offers as well. Life's not all about football sometimes.

That being said, this is a JCU team that might surprise quite a few folks. Besides Myers, they've gotten an influx of former DI talent the last couple years.

Many people don't know this, but JCU and St. Ignatius were at one time the same school (St. Ignatius College). It wasn't until 1935 that JCU moved away from the high school to its current place in University Heights (also named after the university).

Top 5 Ignatius QB's since 1988

On a side note, a friend of mine asked for the best Ignatius QBs in the current era, I had rated mine as Szep, Pickens, Mutryn, Blevins, and Ragone. Curious of the group's thoughts.

Many people don't know this, but JCU and St. Ignatius were at one time the same school (St. Ignatius College). It wasn't until 1935 that JCU moved away from the high school to its current place in University Heights (also named after the university).

Although the name John Carroll University began being used in 1923 while still on West 30th. And the town was called Idlewood Village before it was changed to University Heights after JCU was built.

On a side note, a friend of mine asked for the best Ignatius QBs in the current era, I had rated mine as Szep, Pickens, Mutryn, Blevins, and Ragone. Curious of the group's thoughts.

I'd go with Pickens, Mutryn, Szep, Ragone, and Eric Williams. I was really impressed with the way he ran the offense in tight games during the playoff run last year.

By the way, the 5 QBs I listed won 7 state titles and would have won 8 if the bounces went our way against McKinley in 1997. The fact that 5 Wildcat QBs have combined to win more state championships than all but 3 schools (Mooney and Newark Catholic each have 8, Moeller has 7) in Ohio is pretty darn impressive, IMO.

What's even more impressive with your list, which I agree with in another order, is that it doesn't even include another QB who made it to the NFL.

I'd go with Pickens, Mutryn, Szep, Ragone, and Eric Williams. I was really impressed with the way he ran the offense in tight games during the playoff run last year.

By the way, the 5 QBs I listed won 7 state titles and would have won 8 if the bounces went our way against McKinley in 1997. The fact that 5 Wildcat QBs have combined to win more state championships than all but 3 schools (Mooney and Newark Catholic each have 8, Moeller has 7) in Ohio is pretty darn impressive, IMO.

Pickens, Ragone, Szep, Mutryn, Holland, Williams, Arth, Mayer, Meyers. Man, that's a lot of good high school quarterbacks. You wonder how one school wins almost 50% of the state titles in D-I over about 25 years? That's how.

Pickens, Ragone, Szep, Mutryn, Holland, Williams, Arth, Mayer, Meyers. Man, that's a lot of good high school quarterbacks. You wonder how one school wins almost 50% of the state titles in D-I over about 25 years? That's how.

Good point, although having Chico Kyle on the sidelines doesn't hurt, either... ;)

Catmandoo is too busy calling NFL GMs to discuss how a certain free agent QB would make a great addition to their teams...

Sorry, Hoyer slipped my mind...ranking them as high school players...

Pickens, Ragone, Szep, Mutryn, Hoyer, Holland, Williams, Arth, Mayer, Meyers

What impressed me most about Williams was his toughness. He got beat up a lot last year (think Eds playoff game), yet always got up and made the clutch throws he needed to win games.

I've seen all those QBs and Mutryn has to be top 2 or 3 if not one - in HS. I also hold some animosity towards Williams for some reason as I think Lamanna should have been the QB last year too. Williams, although I'm glad he played so well, never felt like a Wildcat to me.

... and Brian Hoyer.

I've seen all those QBs and Mutryn has to be top 2 or 3 if not one - in HS. I also hold some animosity towards Williams for some reason as I think Lamanna should have been the QB last year too. Williams, although I'm glad he played so well, never felt like a Wildcat to me.

Mutryn is certainly on the Mount Rushmore of Ignatius QBs. The scary thing is he really didn't have the really talented WRs that some of the other great QBs in Wildcats history did.

The PD published the list of area national merit semifinalists this morning. Ignatius had 14, an OK number but a bit below recent years. Other area schools of interest...Solon (30...wow), Mentor (1), Saint Joseph Academy (4), Magnificat (2), US (8), St. Ed's (0), Shaker (7), HB (11), Laurel (6). Per capita, the most impressive numbers are probably Solon, HB and Laurel. I think the SJA number is impressive as well given its demographics.